• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ - Official 5.0 RC1 Build is now online! (Re-Use Autoupdater, Snake bug fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

FrankerZ
This explains our intentions pretty well
That and... well, it's a little stupid when Falcon's sweetspotted knee doesn't break through either of Fox's or Falco's side Bs yet the flub hit of it does.

Basically, what it will likely cause are the two things below:

1) Make it so Falco/Fox players are more CAUTIOUS at using Side B to recover, as in they can't just go and Side B right off and expect to not get hit like most currently do right now.

2) It'll make punishing the moves easier as well as outprioritizing them easier (plus, it should make Falcon's knee go through both Side Bs ... hopefully). Falcon's knee is just an example of how dumb the Side Bs priority is right now.

Raoh

Smash Cadet
I'd like to suggest two buffs for Luigi. First, I believe the knockback on his fair and dair should be raised slightly. As it is now Luigi's knockout attacks are mostly limited smash attacks and his up B. Aerial wise his attacks don't have great killing potential. This isn't necessarily a problem for everyone but Luigi is very floaty and moves slowly through the air so landing the moves without comboing into them is pretty inconvenient and isn't particularly rewarding. Secondly, his misfires should be lower to the ground and they should move faster. Right now misfires are go over most characters' heads and don't move very fast. Misfiring is more of an unlucky result. If you don't think it should be faster I definitely believe you should consider lowering the elevation because I have been in many FFA and team battle situations where I made a timely use of the rocket only to have it misfire and go above my enemy's head completley. Please consider.

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to suggest two buffs for Luigi...
I'm pretty sure Luigi is already one of the best characters in the game. In fact, the WBR is actually looking for ways to nerf him (increase hitstun against him), to make him more balanced with the rest of the cast.

Anyone else going to agree with me when I say Wario may be bumped from even to counter in the transition from vBrawl to B+?
The problem with Metaknight are the same problems that were there in vBrawl; aka, the problems that Sakurai left us with.

First and foremost, Metaknight's priority is outrageous. Since he does have transcendent priority for most (if not all) of his attacks, it means that he will either come out even or on top of every encounter.

Add transcendent priority to the fact that he is small, fast, has decent range, and can attack very, very quickly, and it's easy to see why he is probably still the best character in the game. Also the fact that he is a winged character, and therefore is great at edgeguarding and recovery, doesn't help matters at all.

In B+, many of his attacks have been nerfed greatly, and much of the rest of the cast has been improved to the point that he is no longer as broken as he was in vBrawl. Having said that, I think he will still have his fair share of nerfs before this is over to make his matchups just a little less outrageous.

I think the WBR is still trying to figure out how to add/remove transcendent priority to attacks, and when that happens, I would hope that most of MK's unfair priority gets taken away. His attacks are already quick, disjointed, and with little to no winddown; there is no reason to make them godly.

After that happens, there should be some decent counters for him.

Wing

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
wario doesn't care about priority, he moves around it;) that was the case in vbrawl at least, now i kinda have the feeling that his hit&run style doesnt pay off as much anymore, due to the fact that most others have a better combo game than wario and thus the risk/reward ratio is worse for him. on the other hand, that had to happen since wario was top5 in vbrawl and b+'s goal is to balance...
nevertheless i still have the feeling wario is lacking something...then again i still have to see some good warios+

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Wario is really good, trust me. Keep working on your Wario+, I don't think we'll be changing him much if at all.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to suggest two buffs for Luigi. First, I believe the knockback on his fair and dair should be raised slightly. As it is now Luigi's knockout attacks are mostly limited smash attacks and his up B. Aerial wise his attacks don't have great killing potential. This isn't necessarily a problem for everyone but Luigi is very floaty and moves slowly through the air so landing the moves without comboing into them is pretty inconvenient and isn't particularly rewarding. Secondly, his misfires should be lower to the ground and they should move faster. Right now misfires are go over most characters' heads and don't move very fast. Misfiring is more of an unlucky result. If you don't think it should be faster I definitely believe you should consider lowering the elevation because I have been in many FFA and team battle situations where I made a timely use of the rocket only to have it misfire and go above my enemy's head completley. Please consider.
1. Luigi is considered a top 10 character I believe. Why would we buff him at all?

2. You are doing it wrong if you're not pulling off combos with Luigi. Seriously.

3. Trying to sideB into someone is a terrible strategy in general. Its not even funny how punishable the move is.....well mabey its a little funny. SideB is used as a recovery move.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I'd like to suggest two buffs for Luigi. First, I believe the knockback on his fair and dair should be raised slightly.
No. Both F-air and D-air are his primary aerial combo moves along with U-air at lower percentages. Increasing their knockback will diminish his main combo game significantly. If you need a GTFO move, use B-air or N-air. The others are damage-dealers.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
lol I'm gone for like 2 days and people are going bat**** ******** over trade-offs. Lol.

Didn't I say offer up reasonable trade-offs with facts and data to back up your offer? And only to try to convince WBR to even test it?

If anything, the green zone should be no net gain or a small net loss with trade offs, and since its virtually impossible to achieve "no net gain"

What should be aimed at is a small net loss to your character as a small net gain places the proposal in a yellow zone and increases the chances of your proposal to not become perma.

As wing said, adding depth to a character is a good thing.

Depth = Good
Shallow = Not really good.

Because of that, the end result should be that the character has a net loss because the addition of depth is what evens it out, because you're replacing a negative trait (shallowess) with a positive one (depth)

Its just that depth isnt a set instone kind of thing and the effectiveness of it is completely based upon the user.

tl;dr - Ideal trade off = Slight Net Loss in Overall Power with Slight Increase to Overall Depth. :V

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
lol I'm gone for like 2 days and people are going bat**** ******** over trade-offs. Lol.

Didn't I say offer up reasonable trade-offs with facts and data to back up your offer? And only to try to convince WBR to even test it?

If anything, the green zone should be no net gain or a small net loss with trade offs, and since its virtually impossible to achieve "no net gain"

What should be aimed at is a small net loss to your character as a small net gain places the proposal in a yellow zone and increases the chances of your proposal to not become perma.

As wing said, adding depth to a character is a good thing.

Depth = Good
Shallow = Not really good.

Because of that, the end result should be that the character has a net loss because the addition of depth is what evens it out, because you're replacing a negative trait (shallowess) with a positive one (depth)

Its just that depth isnt a set instone kind of thing and the effectiveness of it is completely based upon the user.

tl;dr - Ideal trade off = Slight Net Loss in Overall Power with Slight Increase to Overall Depth. :V
Thats not a great way to look at things. Usually more depth = better character overall, and if it didn't then its not really more depth, its just an overall balance of moves, gimping one good use so that there are two mediocre ones. The "More depth" part comes in the user trying to make the best of something that he might not have used before, thats not more depth its just shallow encouragement. Like moving candy to another place.

If you guys want tradeoffs they should be done with fine tuning the character in mind, period. Just don't expect it all to be done simply because the fact its a tradeoff. Work around what your character could use, what they need, why the change would help and someone may aware you of the possible consequences. Simple as that, suggestions should be made with this kind of process in mind.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I mean it in the sense that depth makes up for the net loss in a character's strengths when the characters new depth is used properly.

What that character loses in power, he gains in potential and depth, and when factored in with skill, allows a character to overcome with his previous issues.

A constant is reduced in exchange for the increase of a multiplier.

You know..

Um..

x = p + s(y)

where x is how good the character is, p is the power of the character, s is the skill of the player and y is depth.

I think I'm saying this right. I have really bad wording. :V

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
That might work if depth was a considerable variable to multiply by, but it doesn't really turn out that way. Regardless, leave it simple. We're hoping to give all the characters what they deserve.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well, look at it this way. Skill with a character can be determined by how well you utilize those characters options. If a character has alot of options, but you cant particulary cant use them properly, you're not really skilled with that character, but with the base power of a character you can generally still win, but if you go against a character a player with the same character who has more skill ie can use those options better, he'd generally win against you.

You get what I am saying?

I suppose you could look at it like this.

x = p + b + s(y)

Same variables, but b = base skill or overall smash skill. :V

X = how good a character is in your hands. :V

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree with GHenko on this one (or maybe he's agreeing with me :V), that adding depth or variety to a character is more useful than it even seems at face value.

By that I mean, you may have to nerf one move and buff another to a lesser degree (as GHenko was saying) to achieve an actual balanced trade-off.

The move that is being improved should not be buffed to the same degree that the other attack is being nerfed. However, the balance comes because it is a trade-off, and because you now have more options for comboing, mindgames, or finishing your opponent.

Nice catch by GHenko.

Wing

proteininja

Smash Journeyman
For Bowser I believe a good change would be to make the very final aerial hitbox of his dair into a true spike.

It is unbelievably difficult to hit with, and the enemy has 3 full seconds before that hitbox activates. It makes bowser a little more versatile while not exactly just making him more powerful.

I am not a fan of the change to the flame angle. It doesn't changed the move at all except that it comes out of his mouth at an odd angle that doesn't make sense. It bothers me to see him telecasting his fire breathing one way and it goes at a sligh ly upward angle out of his mouth. Bowser didn't need a nerf anyway.

On a final note about what I think would make bowser the level of fighter he needs to be I would like to see the down+b hitbox increased by 25% in size. It is already RIDICULOUSLY easy to punish. I just don't like it when my character model goes through some characters and they are fine. I think a 25 % hitbox increase to his down+b would make the move's hitbox more logical, and would bring the move up to the level of useful for things like dropping to ledge with down+b.

What do you guys think?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I have been telling them to remove the fire breath 'nerfs' I cooked up for a while. It didn't accomplish anything I intended for them, and though still stupid edgeguards both of the two dragons aren't some amazing character.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
GHNeko.

What you perceive as "depth" in a fighting game is the variety of options given to a character which can be utilized in differing scenarios depending on the situation. However, there is no inherent bonus of having two options of dealing with a situation compared to having one option which is just as good for dealing with both. The argument that this leads to a 2D character is baloney; a good player is never predictable enough to allow himself to stay 2D. For example, at scrub level play, Marth could be easily considered a 2D character since fair at first glance appears to be the best option in all scenarios. However, once you progress in skill, you learn to evolve around that one move, learn how to deal with it, and how to counter. The marth player, in turn, learns how to bait, how to punish, and when to use it.

One of the commonly cited characters for lacking "depth" is G&W, seeing as he has a rather 2D playstyle. The problem here is not that G&W has a 2D playstyle, but rather that G&W has a very small learning curve. This is not to say that G&W lacks "depth"; while indeed G&W may seem to be best by spamming a "wall of priority", many characters have ways to deal with that and as such G&W is forced to develop his game through different methods, mindgames, and unpredictability. In fact, the defining aspect for a skilled G&W player is not the learning curve of the character but rather the skill of the player himself, which, in my opinion, is a much better factor to judge than simply character "depth".

I can take Jigglypuff, for instance; fair was a horrid move in melee and bair was most often the best option, especially due to her WoP strategy. However, a good jigglypuff player learns to mix up the overly predictable bairs with other strategies, even if they are lacking or inferior, solely for the unpredictability aspect. Empty SHs, nairs, grabs; these are just examples of how Jigglypuff developed depth. "Depth" is something given at the hands of a player, not something inherent within a character. In fact, by modifying moves for depth, you are hampering the development of depth by providing an overabundance of options for every scenario, forcing the player to use moves he would not normally use and preventing development of the metagame. How often do you see jigglypuffs in melee using ftilt? dtilt? dsmash? Buffing these moves would serve no purpose towards furthering jigglypuff's metagame, as they would come at the cost of those moves which are useful, such as bair or nair, and force the Jigglypuff player to use moves in situations which are inherently disadvantageous for Jigglypuff.

In fact, there is no reason why you should prioritize such setups in lieu of a solid and simple game for a character. A complex character who is forced to use many different moves in many different situations is in no way superior to a simple character who is forced to use a single move in specific ways for many different situations. While having such options at hand might appeal to some, specifically tailoring a character for "depth" at the expense of polishing an already solid playstyle is not what I would consider smart.

Just my two cents.

v:

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Whoa, I think we all need to chill with the rules and formulas. We should simply take every suggestion accordingly and give every idea at least a good thinking before saying yes or no. I fully agree that the people in the past pages have been going overboard, but I don't think throwing strict rules and regulations at them is the solution. I'm pretty sure you guys do not have a strict process for deciding changes, and I hope you never do. That kind of Red Tape will do nothing but hinder the project. Because we are so knowledgeable with this game it's usually fairly easy to tell a good idea from a bad one, so let's simply leave the bad ideas alone and if one sounds interesting, let's discuss it. If there's something wrong with it, we'll discuss it properly.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Ark pretty much said what I wanted to say. Giving up one good option for two mediocre ones just isn't adding depth. :v

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
In a later build I think that WiFi waiting room should be added as opposed to replacing an old stage (if this can't be done, don't use New Pork Mario Bros. is worse).

GuruKid

Smash Ace
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I have work in the morning. Now I'm gonna be dead tired. Which set are you using?
We were using a test set given by Cape that basically had all the 6/10 nightly changes except a few Ivysaur tweaks he had wanted me to try out.

A very good post, Arkaether. You made very valid points that hopefully get through to certain people, even though the topic in question should be common sense...

Yingyay

Smash Ace
^ I want Times Square back. Take out the two old mario stages and the donkey kong one er something.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
I like Mushroomy Kindgom, 75m, and Rumble Falls, and I seriously don't think anyone likes mario bros. But isn't it possible to make a Custom Stage Select Screen anyways?

Wingflier

Smash Apprentice
GHNeko.

What you perceive as "depth" in a fighting game is the variety of options given to a character which can be utilized in differing scenarios depending on the situation. However, there is no inherent bonus of having two options of dealing with a situation compared to having one option which is just as good for dealing with both. The argument that this leads to a 2D character is baloney; a good player is never predictable enough to allow himself to stay 2D. For example, at scrub level play, Marth could be easily considered a 2D character since fair at first glance appears to be the best option in all scenarios. However, once you progress in skill, you learn to evolve around that one move, learn how to deal with it, and how to counter. The marth player, in turn, learns how to bait, how to punish, and when to use it.

One of the commonly cited characters for lacking "depth" is G&W, seeing as he has a rather 2D playstyle. The problem here is not that G&W has a 2D playstyle, but rather that G&W has a very small learning curve. This is not to say that G&W lacks "depth"; while indeed G&W may seem to be best by spamming a "wall of priority", many characters have ways to deal with that and as such G&W is forced to develop his game through different methods, mindgames, and unpredictability. In fact, the defining aspect for a skilled G&W player is not the learning curve of the character but rather the skill of the player himself, which, in my opinion, is a much better factor to judge than simply character "depth".

I can take Jigglypuff, for instance; fair was a horrid move in melee and bair was most often the best option, especially due to her WoP strategy. However, a good jigglypuff player learns to mix up the overly predictable bairs with other strategies, even if they are lacking or inferior, solely for the unpredictability aspect. Empty SHs, nairs, grabs; these are just examples of how Jigglypuff developed depth. "Depth" is something given at the hands of a player, not something inherent within a character. In fact, by modifying moves for depth, you are hampering the development of depth by providing an overabundance of options for every scenario, forcing the player to use moves he would not normally use and preventing development of the metagame. How often do you see jigglypuffs in melee using ftilt? dtilt? dsmash? Buffing these moves would serve no purpose towards furthering jigglypuff's metagame, as they would come at the cost of those moves which are useful, such as bair or nair, and force the Jigglypuff player to use moves in situations which are inherently disadvantageous for Jigglypuff.

In fact, there is no reason why you should prioritize such setups in lieu of a solid and simple game for a character. A complex character who is forced to use many different moves in many different situations is in no way superior to a simple character who is forced to use a single move in specific ways for many different situations. While having such options at hand might appeal to some, specifically tailoring a character for "depth" at the expense of polishing an already solid playstyle is not what I would consider smart.

Just my two cents.

v:
Okay great. I don't entirely agree with this post, but tell it to all the G&W mains out there who insist that he only has 1 or 2 useful attacks that must be spammed again and again in order for him to be useful.

This in lieu of the fact that I saw Guru playing a wicked sick G&W last night using a plethora of attacks and specials and owning such characters as Marth and MK (among others), even though everyone keeps saying these are G&W's bad matchups.

Now you understand why the non-G&W mains are so anti-trade-off because as Arkaether clearly stated, it is unwarranted and unnecessary; he is fine and good G&W's don't have a problem.
While having such options at hand might appeal to some, specifically tailoring a character for "depth" at the expense of polishing an already solid playstyle is not what I would consider smart.
Wing

Wolf of Ice

Smash Apprentice
Samus's Up-Smash seems to be linking well if you do a dashing Usmash and hit with the first hitbox first.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
any chance you guys can reduce the lag on falcon kick so you can combo short hopped neutral and up airs out of it.

:)

and kirbys air moive that got buffed was that really $h14 sex kick right? i was going to request that

HeroPenguin

Smash Cadet
^ Do you mean, buffing something of Falcon's? I don't get what you're saying
He's talking about Kirby's nair buff from 10 to 60 BKB. Nothing to do with Falcon.

And yes, that is what they did. And yes, it is fairly nice.

As for Falcon... I wouldn't hold my breath for a downB buff, especially since he has several other moves that already do basically the exact same thing you're asking for.

Though I do have a question for the WBR as long as I'm thinking of Falcon. Has it been considered to grant his grounded Raptor Boost (sideB) the dodge frames it had in Melee? It was one of the first things I noticed from vBrawl and I could never quite understand why it was taken away. Would it be OPd?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
GHNeko.

Arkaether.

The problem with that though, you're factoring skill into that scenario. When you factor that out, between two good characters, the character with more reliable options is the one that will generally come out on top majority of the time. That's how CPs are generally made. A comparison of options.

You say a smart player will keep himself unpredictable, but if both players are equally smart in general and match ups, then having less reliable options is a bad thing. When your reliable options are figured out and shut down, then what.

Two good options when uses to their fullest potential > 1 Great Option. At least imo. Your going to have a harder time predicting 2 moves than you are one. So when you mix up properly, the overall effect is greater.

But the issue at hand is that using methods other than reliable methods puts you at risk for being punished. Being unpredictable works because uses the shock factor to overcome your opponent. That works against people who dont play your or dont know the match up. And you know what trounces that? Playing that match up. When you learn a match up, you learn answers for things tossed at you. When this happens, the cost of being unpredictable can be steep. That's why you dont use bad options in the first place and you stick to what works, but when what works is already limited in the first place, being unpredictable can be costly. Being unpredictable against a player of equal skill and match up knowledge can hurt more than help.

You're only providing an overabundance of options when you make it like that, but 1-3 tradeoffs dont do this. You cannot develop depth with a character when the move in question doesn't even retain the potential at its core. The reason wh you never saw jiggs in Melee use dtilt, dsmash, ftilt is because they didn't even have the potential to positively add depth to the character's metagame because they contract how jiggs was made to play. They're ground moves when jiggs is solely an aerial character. Fair would fall into the category of moves that could potentially benefit from a trade off and add depth to the character because it has the potential to do so. A move with no potential, when buffed through trade-offs is not a good idea because it would serve no good purpose towards teh character overall and make the player use an off the wall move as you've said, but when a move has the potential to do something like that, when buffed, wont be anything less than natural when used right.

I have said that some characters are shallow and that's fine. Not every character should be filled to the brim with depth, but what is wrong with adding a little more to a character?

Just my two cents.

Keep the change.

v:

:V
10tencharacterlimit

_clinton

Smash Master
Can I ask why Ganondorf can regain his 2nd jump after his Down special but Falcon can't?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I believe Falcon needs buffs, but Down B jump reset isnt the kind of buff he needs. He needs a defensive, non-recovery buff to help him deal with the abundance of campy/defensive playstyles that exist in Brawl+

Once again I say this and I will continue to say this until I see for myself that Falcon has at least a single tool against all forms of playstyle. :V

And those tools dont even have to be that good. :V

camelot

Smash Ace
IMO, Falcon's nair needs a buff. 10 damage in 2 hits is pretty weak... plus, both hitboxes only last for a 2 frames. Compare it to uair, which is a single hit for 12-13 damage, comes out faster, ends faster, has a bigger hitbox.

I believe it needs a 2-3% damage increase... and/or more frames for the last kick (6 frames instead of 2?). Melee Falcon's nair had 5 frames on the first hitbox, and 9 on the second. And it did 12 damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom