• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ - Official 5.0 RC1 Build is now online! (Re-Use Autoupdater, Snake bug fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalued

Smash Lord
Ally won Brawl+ at SNES as Snake.

YOU GUYS GONNA NERF HIM NOW!!!?!?!??!
tbh ally is just an exceptional player, i mean he made vbrawl falcon decent!! im not sure tbh, snake is real combo bait if he looses control of the match. maybe making his uptilt a bit less disjointed would be ok, but not much else (oh maybe reduce damage of nades)

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
I play Dedede as my main, but I havent Found an Infinite on Anyone (i need to test this crap) No one around here plays Snake and I'd perfer not try it on computers, But I know with Bad or No DI I can Chainthrow floaty characters and everyone else at Higher percentages. (maybe not Fox, Falcon, Capt Falcon, and some of the Fast Fallers)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I don't know how legit the CG is (I always just go straight for tech chases with Dthrow... Much more rewarding to mind **** somebody into repetitive grabs anyways :p) but it might just be a good idea to have Dthrow send them just outside his grab range, though tumble everyone like the current Dthrow does.
I doubt it will effect his tech chasing options; if you tech in place or roll behind DDD will still be able to regrab you just fine, and his options when you tech away will still work considering how much range his general options have in that circumstance.

About Snake...
First of all, get them SNES vids up. I want to see some hardcore Ally ****, and the tourney vids in general.
Now about his tilts...
First of all, I have to say that if you have troubles with the range on Utilt then that is completely your fault. Every Smash player should have its range ingrained into their head by now. I main G&W, a character who gets wrecked by Snake in every form possible (the only saving grace being Snake's recovery and susceptibility to juggling), and I have no problem with Utilt's range. Why? Because I know the matchup, and I know exactly where Utilt can and cannot hit me. It comes to the point where I get hit with Utilt because I made a clear mistake.
I'll admit that it has some **** good disjointed range, but it isn't game breaking or truly problematic by any means. It would be one thing if the move was over centralizing Snake's metagame itself, or particular matchups were absolutely dominated purely by Utilt, but it isn't. Snake's defense is easily the best in the game, but its grenades that are really the star in the show there. Utilt is easy to get past once you have its range ingrained in your head, yet grenades slice your options down and then he shields one and punishes you for whatever remaining options you have.
Ftilt's damage is fine. If you can hit with Ftilt you should be going for the first hit only because it is FAR more useful than the second hit; 8% on the first hit and any tech chasing options from there aren't guaranteed.

I don't even know why people would consider nerfing Snake... There is literally no proof that he warrants any sort of nerf (also considering most people don't even put him in the top 10, I do, but most people seem to pass him over). Now I know two Snake players; Tapion and Ally. Tapion only has him ****** in friendlies, and Ally is the world's best Snake player and one of the best period so of course Ally is going to dominate with Snake. And really, the man makes vBrawl Falcon look good ._.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yes but snake was top tier in vBrawl and all his vbrawl tricks are still here. he can still nade camp and space with ftilt lol. like nothing has changed in snake's game except utilt doesn't kill as early. but now he has actual combos so he doesn't need to kill at 100% anymore @.@

like utilt and ftilt make no logical sense. i dont see why they wouldn't be nerfed @.@

Yingyay

Smash Ace
lol everyone jumps at the chance to nerf MK but shiver when nerf suggestions come to snake.

It's pretty funny.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
His recovery doesnt seem that much different. Up-b, if that dont work blow yourself up. What really changed?

Gimping wise I dont know.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Snake really isn't needing a nerf. he has pleny of weaknesses as it is.

So stop comparing Snake to MK you dumb idiots.

kupo15

Smash Hero
This moon gravity thing..........wuts this all about? Come on lets just worry about characters and stuff instead of changing the stages that aren't even picked often enough or is unfair enough to warrant a change like this. Unless someone can explain the moon gravity thing to me 100%

Air-dodging.......It's kinda late to be changing something like this isnt it? The same with all the people whinning about adding AT's to the game. Seriously, if you want an AT win a tournament with Yoshi. That right there is a AT.

Spot-Dodging........Seriously, if someone is spamming them and you cant get past it you need to buff your skillz and not nerf the technique.

Taunt Canceling, you could easily just edit the pac file for that character and stfu about it on the board. Seriously.
Wow. Just wow. If you don't know what your talking about (ie side steps) and if you haven't read (everything else) then........

My explanations were pretty clear. Read and comprehend before making a fool of yourself.
You guys sure do like to remove mechanics. <_<
Not removing, FIXING!
Apparently anything added into smash bros. post-melee is stupid and should be removed, and is apparently unsalvageable.
Have YOU been reading everything? Yes, the physical mechanic and animations should be removed, but its not making it like melee. Its improving upon the new ideas brawl has. I even said that there are neat ideas Brawl has that just needs some tweaking to be better.
Water would be much better if swimming was like the aquatic version of being in the air. As in, you get to actually use attacks in the water, instead of flailing around.
That is exactly what my suggestion is except with the addition of moonesq gravity otherwise it would be flat out removing the uniqueness of having water in the first place and be exactly like melee.

My personal opinion: This game isn't as button happy as Melee is (that should be pretty clear).
It doesn't have to be and I hightly doubt it could ever be with Brawl's core engine. It [game mechanics] just has to be better than what it is and it needs to feel natural as well. (aka, adding wavedashing won't make the game better nor will it feel natural either)

You (all) may now go back to your bickering about characters because god knows 4+ months of nothing but isn't enough and its the only thing that should be focused on to make the game better.

Come on lets just worry about characters and stuff
Yea, lets just focus all our efforts on making the characters so perfect instead of fixing the rest of the game mechanics that are being overlooked. Good Idea!!

TL;DR Make characters EZ and forget about what really improves the game >_<

/sarcasm

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I like NADT, after playing with it for a while. Right now, there's basically NO difference between static and tumble, aside from the ability to FF and Zair. The problem is that it would be a lot harder to escape from combos, making them even longer and more zero-deathy.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I like NADT, after playing with it for a while. Right now, there's basically NO difference between static and tumble, aside from the ability to FF and Zair. The problem is that it would be a lot harder to escape from combos, making them even longer and more zero-deathy.
Wiggling says hi.
It's literally just quickly hitting your analog once or twice, and you are out of tumble.

It was a while back where there was an argument about adding NADT while lessening the global gravity to compensate for NADT, but this late in the game it just really isn't an option.

B+ should be hitting a point of streamlining, not drastic changes to the entire physics of the game/metagames of characters. It would be one thing to add drastic changes like NADT months ago.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Unless you make other adjustments such as lowering hitstun and then fixing any important combos that got broke by using Magus' IASA idea. But that's only if people felt like doing a little work in order to improve the game in this way.

Wiggling says hi.
It's literally just quickly hitting your analog once or twice, and you are out of tumble.

It was a while back where there was an argument about adding NADT while lessening the global gravity to compensate for NADT, but this late in the game it just really isn't an option.

B+ should be hitting a point of streamlining, not drastic changes to the entire physics of the game/metagames of characters. It would be one thing to add drastic changes like NADT months ago.
Or it could just improve zoning of the game without overvamping the characters. Seriously, all the work put into making the characters "better" could have been cut drastically if the proper game mechanics were put in place. Instead, the WBR seems content in spending more time and effort by fixing a game mechanic issue through character changes instead of through actual game mechanic changes.

But if you'd rather the game continued to be streamlined, at least spend time working on implementing streamlined mechanics instead of ignoring them.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Hey Kupo, i'm not against you or anything but I totally don't see a point in changing the water mechanics. Maybe in Jungle japes, but in Isle delfino?

I gotta pass.
Also I saw that you wanted to remove auto jabs. Why?
Pikachu's jab is nearly impossible without them.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
When does balancing/fixing a character make them EZ? Hmm?

What I meant is that we should take things one step at a time. The Character meta-game isnt developing because there's always changes being made. So if we work on fixing the characters first then the gameplay fixes should come right after, or vice versa.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
I had a fairly long post that all boiled down into flaming kupo for yelling at other people because they arent doing what he wants them to do, instead of just going off and doing it himself. If you want something done right...

Also, moon grav in water would bring up all sorts of balance issues... rising pound, floaties living forever, etc etc. Also, it would make make the water a good place to be. Water being a good place to be is the main reason why Pirate Ship is banned.

Also, i still havent gotten any feedback on my iasa idea for dodges...maybe i should double post so people cant selectively ignore parts of my posts...

EDIT: yes, i realize that this post is moderately hypocritical. No, I dont care, im not asking to completely rework the physics of the game, making it into something that b+ is not. Because if you change the original, it eventually becomes unrecognizabel. What Kupo is proposing isnt B+, it's something different. Possibly better, but undoubtedly different.

EDITEDIT: and where's the proof that the wii's "core engine" is so inferior to the cube's? Last i checked, you could play Melee on a Wii, so saying "we can never hack brawl to make it exactly like melee, but my idea is the closest we can get" is stupid, illogical, and, most importantly, an insult to every one of us who are working to make brawl a better game than it is, both originally and through hacks.

EDITEDITEDIT: grammar check. Also, this post is now longer than the original post. Also, cue selective ignoring of the non-flaming parts of my post. In 3...2...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Hey Kupo, i'm not against you or anything but I totally don't see a point in changing the water mechanics. Maybe in Jungle japes, but in Isle delfino?

I gotta pass.
Also I saw that you wanted to remove auto jabs. Why?
Pikachu's jab is nearly impossible without them.
Well, half the game is getting an opponent off the stage, the other half is keeping them off. The choices you make trying to get back or being over zealous should affect how you recover and this is an aspect that makes smash really exciting. Water mechanic as it is now at its simplest form is an extension of the stage. Those stages are walkoff stages (except japes for obvious reasons) They have all the qualities that makes up walk offs by being able to land on something near the blast zones and renewing all of your recovery options that were lost due to the past choices you made. (ie, you could have lost your second jump in an attempt to get back but you can get it back anyway) A lot of risk of going off stage is also minimized as well. Swimming, I feel, is much like gliding and footstools. The mechanic is bad design goes against the nature of smash.

Also, swimming feels very messy and poor and breaks up the flow of the match. The occasional 1 minute "Water battle Mini games" don't add much to competitive smash either. By removing swimming and adding a twist (moonlike gravity which doesn't have to be very floaty, just less than the air)you can add a whole new aspect to those levels to make matches more exciting, enjoyable and that keeps the essence of smash in mind. (not to mention the fact that you possibly make a stage more playable)

As I said, Delfino isn't "too" bad but I think trying it out there should be encouraged in case it proves to truly enhance that stage. Pirate ship should definitely be changed to this though. I can picture the stage becoming much better and seeing how that stage is halfway there to trying this out, no better place to start.

As far as auto jabs, the code as it stands removes the IASA from the jabs (I think) which is what breaks many jabs. This is why it should be fixed so it works properly. Also, maybe you can make it work by adjusting or adding (I have no idea how PSA works) IASA frames with the current code and maybe it'll work. But in any case, the code just needs to be fixed which I am positive is more than doable.
What I meant is that we should take things one step at a time. The Character meta-game isnt developing because there's always changes being made. So if we work on fixing the characters first then the gameplay fixes should come right after, or vice versa.
No. Wrong. Game mechanics first, character changes second. That is the most efficient way to do things because when the proper mechanics are in play, that one change you were thinking about implementing may end up not being needed after all.

I had a fairly long post that all boiled down into flaming kupo for yelling at other people because they arent doing what he wants them to do, instead of just going off and doing it himself. If you want something done right...
Yea, cause I'm a coder. I did the work in how extensively I picked apart the game to find ways to improve it. I did the work and time into explaining my reasons and tried to put an emphasis and an importance on game mechanics before but got the "IDC" response in reply. I attempted to do the things I am saying by making my own set but look how that turned out. Its been 4+ months later and you still haven't gotten the message. If I were a coder, I would have made all those codes by now.
and where's the proof that the wii's "core engine" is so inferior to the cube's? Last i checked, you could play Melee on a Wii, so saying "we can never hack brawl to make it exactly like melee, but my idea is the closest we can get" is stupid, illogical, and, most importantly, an insult to every one of us who are working to make brawl a better game than it is, both originally and at the present time
I said Brawl's core engine, not the Wii's you idiot.

EDIT And what do you care about whether or not we can fix brawl to make it as good as melee. You already made it perfectly clear that you don't want that.

camelot

Smash Ace
Also, swimming feels very messy and poor and breaks up the flow of the match. The occasional 1 minute "Water battle Mini games" don't add much to competitive smash either. By removing swimming and adding a twist (moonlike gravity which doesn't have to be very floaty, just less than the air)you can add a whole new aspect to those levels to make matches more exciting, enjoyable and that keeps the essence of smash in mind. (not to mention the fact that you possibly make a stage more playable)
What if water always made you drown? Or is that even worse? (It would essentially make the blastlines really small on those stages)

As far as auto jabs, the code as it stands removes the IASA from the jabs (I think) which is what breaks many jabs. This is why it should be fixed so it works properly. Also, maybe you can make it work by adjusting or adding (I have no idea how PSA works) IASA frames with the current code and maybe it'll work. But in any case, the code just needs to be fixed which I am positive is more than doable.
After messing around in PSA for about 2 minutes I already figured out how to change auto jabs.

No. Wrong. Game mechanics first, character changes second. That is the most efficient way to do things because when the proper mechanics are in play, that one change you were thinking about implementing may end up not being needed after all.
I agree.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Moongrav water is nice but makes water pretty safe. I think it's fine as long as the gravity change is relatively small.

Auto jabs are stupid. Pikachu can be exempt.

I like NADT, but I'm not too keen on generally making the game floatier. I can't really see a different option, however.

kupo15

Smash Hero
What if water always made you drown? Or is that even worse? (It would essentially make the blastlines really small on those stages).
I think that would be worse because that is basically the equivalent of trying to recover on a stage like Final destination except you are limited in where you can recover from. Also, things like spikes would be way too powerful because in situations where you would be able to meteor cancel (or if you were meteored weakly at 0%) and recovered, you would die. What BBrawl did was better I believe where it put you in the "I'm about to drown" state always and the % your at determined how much time you have before drowning. This keeps an emphasis on needing to recover hastily instead of being able to water camp. But I think my idea would be more interesting and exciting. Or maybe you can do both. If Delfino is deemed to be not that bad, Delfino should have BBrawl's water idea and Japes and Pirate should have mine. The only problem with that is consistency where this water is good but this is bad. A possible solution would be to texture the water differently to be like clouds (and the pirate ship be the one from Mario Bros 3) or oil. Lol.

After messing around in PSA for about 2 minutes I already figured out how to change auto jabs.
Awesome. The WBR did agree with me on removing this mechanic (hence why it was in a set or two before it was removed for not working properly) and now that its fixable, it should be readded.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Awesome. The WBR did agree with me on removing this mechanic (hence why it was in a set or two before it was removed for not working properly) and now that its fixable, it should be readded.
Pika will be exempt, right? Please say it's true. :(

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I agree, for the most part. The auto-jab should be character specific, so that characters like Pikachu (and others that I am forgetting) can keep their decent jab. After all, it is very hard and tedious to press the A button every 2/3 frames (or however long Pika's jab is).

kupo15

Smash Hero
Moongrav water is nice but makes water pretty safe. I think it's fine as long as the gravity change is relatively small.
Yea, moongravity was just to get your imaginations going so you can see what I mean. Moon gravity is probably too floaty. The float level would have to be tested to where it makes the water nice and balanced.

I like NADT, but I'm not too keen on generally making the game floatier. I can't really see a different option, however.
NADT wouldn't make the game floatier. Why would floatier be an option? Something that wasn't mentioned is that NADT wouldn't only kick after hitstun. It also works if you are caught shield camping by the ledge/platform when you are pushed off. Just wanted to point that out.

Sorry I missed your post CloneHat ;:bee:
Pika will be exempt, right? Please say it's true. :(
If that's what you guys want. However, doing that will still keep his jab not as precise and a little hard to control. IMO its much better to be able to manually press the A for a second or two until a trip occurs. You also won't accidentally do one more than you wanted to do. I feel its still possible to achieve the same effect with better control but that's just me.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
The thing is that without auto jabbing, pika's jab is like as fast as snake's utilt (which is not that fast)

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
@Kupo: 1) find a sympathetic coder with time on his hands, or learn how to code.

2) 7 years later and theyve taken a step backward? Explain, I havent seen any proof yet. Calling me an idiot doesnt help either.

3) Personally, I think B+ is already as good as Melee. Not in the same way, but as good. First, Brawl+ found a balance in the edge game, whereby a perfect sweetspot cannot be defeated unless the edgeguarder actually goes offstage, but actually going offstage is rewarding but not mindless. You say that Brawl can never be as button-press heavy as Melee, but Brawl+ leans more toward the intellectual than the technical. Sure, b+ Perfect Control wouldnt be as flashy as Melee's, but who cares? the game is just as competitive. The difference lies in the fact the B+ is easier to get good at, but just as difficult to be great at. This style of learning curve will still reward the better players, even if the most advanced AT one needs to learn is DI. You simply prefer a different style of gameplay. I do. This all boils down to a difference of opinion.

D

Deleted member

Pikachu shouldn't be exempt. Just learn to press your controller fast, holy **** why do we make so many concessions to noobs?

I press Ness d-tilt soooo fast...it's not auto *****es

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
On the topic of water... I'd like to see greatly reduced dgrav, but greatly increased ugrav. So you wouldn't fall as fast, but it'd be harder to rise, too. Also would be a bit more realistic.

@Kupo: 1) find a sympathetic coder with time on his hands, or learn how to code.
Or do neither. Most of this stuff (with the possible exception of the water thing) should be possible with PSA.

2) 7 years later and theyve taken a step backward? Explain, I havent seen any proof yet. Calling me an idiot doesnt help either.
Uh... do you not consider brawl a step backwards from melee? That's one of the stupidest things you could ask someone when talking about brawl+. To get down to what you actually meant, though... Brawl uses a commercial physics engine. Melee did not. He's saying that simply the way the engine works, you can't replicate the feel of melee, and this is true.

3) Personally, I think B+ is already as good as Melee. Not in the same way, but as good. First, Brawl+ found a balance in the edge game, whereby a perfect sweetspot cannot be defeated unless the edgeguarder actually goes offstage, but actually going offstage is rewarding but not mindless. You say that Brawl can never be as button-press heavy as Melee, but Brawl+ leans more toward the intellectual than the technical. Sure, b+ Perfect Control wouldnt be as flashy as Melee's, but who cares? the game is just as competitive. The difference lies in the fact the B+ is easier to get good at, but just as difficult to be great at. This style of learning curve will still reward the better players, even if the most advanced AT one needs to learn is DI. You simply prefer a different style of gameplay. I do. This all boils down to a difference of opinion.
And yet half the stuff he suggests has nothing to do with increasing the "clackity-ness" of games, but will improve the gameplay.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Are you honestly telling me that Vbrawl is as good or better than melee? Are you honestly telling me that Brawl was made competitive and not stupid so for general public? Which game are we hacking again, anyway? If you don't know of any reasons why brawl took a step back despite being apart of this project, then I don't know what to say.

And to add to what leaf said about the engine, that was one thing I was going to say. Brawl uses a realistic physics engine for a game that uses unrealistic physics where as melee built their engine from scratch. So Melee's is made for this game and Brawl's is not. The second thing is that, seeing how most of the frame data for melee characters remained the same, and yet Brawl+ sped up a lot of things from Brawl, melee still plays and feels faster so the engine is faster

You simply prefer a different style of gameplay. I do. This all boils down to a difference of opinion.
Of course it is a matter of opinion

THE END

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I once broke the X button on my Playstation controller a long time ago by mashing it for a few of my games. Not being able to get a new one haunted me while I played Megaman X6...

You know, maybe auto jabbing isn't so bad. It keeps you from screwing up your controllers if you feel the need to mash the A button for a jab combo...

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
auto jab (on miss) can be removed by simply changing the RA-Bit variable 22 i beleive.
just a small note to anyone whom this would appeal to
auto jab on connect is RA-Bit 16 i think also
and i think it would be safe
seeing how some games require u to mash a button as hard as you can. for mini games or whatever. i think it'll be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom