• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl on the MLG 2010 Pro Circuit (Edited with Additional Info in first post)

DJRome

Smash Hero
raaaaaaaaape.

but seriously, if you want mlg to add melee, it's going to take a legitimate proposal that shows mlg why it can compete in terms of profit with the other games has outfitted itself with.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
raaaaaaaaape.

but seriously, if you want mlg to add melee, it's going to take a legitimate proposal that shows mlg why it can compete in terms of profit with the other games has outfitted itself with.
There is -1,750% chance we'll add Melee. Give it a rest guys. My favorite game is Halo 1, but unfortunately it is gathering dust on my shelf :(

Trela

Smash Lord
You have no idea how happy I am, Clap and JV! Thank you so much for doing this!

It sucks that I'm only 15 and probably won't get to travel to many of them, though :(

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Yo all. So given that the announcement left a lot of questions for everyone figured I would take a crack at some of them.

First off, a brief summary for those of you that haven't been to the Pro Circuit ever or in awhile. It simply is the best competitive gaming experience out there. It is a huge production. Sponsor booths with giveaways/contest, models (yes models rock), lights everywhere, gamers from around the world, a huge main stage, some of the best equipment you will ever see, incredible venues, amazing tournaments admins, staff, and some of the best run tournaments you will ever go to. It really is the pinnacle of competitive gaming experiences out there. I would suggest taking a look through some photo galleries to get an idea of what I am talking about. And when it comes to the 2010 season you can only expect bigger and better things. I've spent several years going to tournaments all over and MLG are the tournaments to go to, period.

Great picture of welcome announcement

So being back on the circuit it's important that everyone represents our community like we should. Showing MLG why we are one of the biggest, best communities out there, and show up in droves to events. It's an experience you will not regret.

In terms of some more details.
-We will do door registration for 2v2 with 100% payouts (Exact % per place structure TBD). So that means on top of the huge prizes for singles (and incredible prizes for finals) there will be a full 2v2 pot. Teams are too amazing for us to leave them out.
-You are not required to play online to play in the events. Online is just used to tie into your seed points into events. But live seed points will be the primary factor. More details to come there.
-Only the top players as by live rank points throughout the season will qualify for finals. That means the more events you come to the better chance you have to punch your ticket to finals for a chance to play for the largest prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th ever given out for a smash tournament anywhere ever.
-On top of that the top 16 players based on season rank points will be given a $200 check by simply showing up to an event after Columbus. Not to mention have the chance to compete for single prizes, doubles prizes, and that finals spot.

Now to some more general stuff.

Melee, I frickin love Melee. But the simple reality is that Brawl is a good game in its own right. And in terms of growing this, getting sponsors on board, taking it to new heights aka the things we want to do here. It just makes more sense to go with Brawl. I have no doubt there will continue to be a great grassroots community for Melee and plenty of tournaments to be had. But guys, seriously do what's right for the community as a whole and don't derail this thread with the whole Brawl vs. Melee thing. We got one of the VPs of the company posting in here, so lets start with being back on the circuit on a good note as he was one of the guys that was pushing for it on our behalf and go from there.

DJRome

Smash Hero
There is -1,750% chance we'll add Melee. Give it a rest guys. My favorite game is Halo 1, but unfortunately it is gathering dust on my shelf :(
never say never ;) businesses run on models, and they'll add what's necessary to maximize profit. if the proposal is convincing enough, it'll be added. trust.

but i doubt such a proposal is possible at this point :(

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
never say never ;) businesses run on models, and they'll add what's necessary to maximize profit. if the proposal is convincing enough, it'll be added. trust.

but i doubt such a proposal is possible at this point :(

I can tell you as the guy personally running every aspect of the circuit since its inception: It will never happen, please drop it.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
Yo all. So given that the announcement left a lot of questions for everyone figured I would take a crack at some of them.

First off, a brief summary for those of you that haven't been to the Pro Circuit ever or in awhile. It simply is the best competitive gaming experience out there. It is a huge production. Sponsor booths with giveaways/contest, models (yes models rock), lights everywhere, gamers from around the world, a huge main stage, some of the best equipment you will ever see, incredible venues, amazing tournaments admins, staff, and some of the best run tournaments you will ever go to. It really is the pinnacle of competitive gaming experiences out there. I would suggest taking a look through some photo galleries to get an idea of what I am talking about. And when it comes to the 2010 season you can only expect bigger and better things. I've spent several years going to tournaments all over and MLG are the tournaments to go to, period.

So being back on the circuit it's important that everyone represents our community like we should. Showing MLG why we are one of the biggest, best communities out there, and show up in droves to events. It's an experience you will not regret.

-We will do door registration for 2v2 with 100% payouts (Exact % per place structure TBD). So that means on top of the huge prizes for singles (and incredible prizes for finals) there will be a full 2v2 pot. Teams are too amazing for us to leave them out.
-You are not required to play online to play in the events. Online is just used to tie into your seed points into events. But live seed points will be the primary factor. More details to come there.
-Only the top players as by live rank points throughout the season will qualify for finals. That means the more events you come to the better chance you have to punch your ticket to finals for a chance to play for the largest prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th ever given out for a smash tournament anywhere ever.
-On top of that the top 16 players based on season rank points will be given a $200 check by simply showing up to an event after Columbus. Not to mention have the chance to compete for single prizes, doubles prizes, and that finals spot.

Melee, I frickin love Melee. But the simple reality is that Brawl is a good game in its own right. And in terms of growing this, getting sponsors on board, taking it to new heights aka the things we want to do here. It just makes more sense to go with Brawl. I have no doubt there will continue to be a great grassroots community for Melee and plenty of tournaments to be had. But guys, seriously do what's right for the community as a whole and don't derail this thread with the whole Brawl vs. Melee thing. We got one of the VPs of the company posting in here, so lets start with being back on the circuit on a good note as he was one of the guys that was pushing for it on our behalf and go from there.
to the top

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I am trying desperately hard not to strangle the closest person to me with hugs of joy~~~ Yes!!! *incentive to get good at brawl has doubled*

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
raaaaaaaaape.

Not to disagree with Clap cause he has a bigger say than I. But look, continue to try to grow Melee, get the word out (of which we have some cool smashboards stuff going on in 2010 to try to spread awareness about the community that will bring new faces in), get people to tournaments. I mean if you guys start throwing 400, 500, 600, 1000+ person tournaments, with huge live streams numbers, and so on we will have to take notice. Theres a lot of smart people at MLG (many of them having came from competitive gaming backgrounds). So if its really makes the most sense it will get a fair look.

When I look at something like Starcraft being a bazillion years old and still the hottest thing in Korea, I see it can be done. But being a previous generation game its an uphill battle. I am going to be honest there. But continue to do your thing. And respect Brawl players just like we expect them to respect you guys.

So yea, this year it is just going to be brawl. And we will be putting our full force and weight into it. Its a great game on its own and we are really excited to have a sick season here. So lets focus this thread on that.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i think melee players are quietly jealous that the one distinct and undeniable advantages of brawl is simply that it's new. so any potential you're talking about here would have to be overwhelming better than whatever entry fee (in terms of basic numbers to get added for a new game) games require to be mlg level.

i think it's important melee realize that they not only have to be as big as brawl but also have to be larger for mlg to even take a second look. which sucks, but is a totally agreeable decision

and on another note, i wanna steal mlg's data to look through the numbers cause im nosy like that

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'm really glad you guys are doing doubles. So much fun to watch.

And, to be honest, seeing Melee again would be fun, but I don't know how profitable or big would it be for MLG because it is past gen and has a sequel already.

Not that I wouldn't like to see Melee back, but Brawl is perfectly fine and suitable. I cannot wait for Orlando to be back watching Smash on the stream.

DJRome

Smash Hero
btw, how do mlg streams work? it seems like from what you guys say a rather integral part of the operation

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
btw, how do mlg streams work? it seems like from what you guys say a rather integral part of the operation
They are available on the mlgpro.com and gamebattles.com main pages, like when you are brought to them.

If you've never watched them before, you'll have to download a free program so you can watch it, and after that you can view it whenever during the event. You can watch any of the games with matches going on for free and switch between them whenever.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
As someone said before in another thread, it seems that Brawl is just a cash cow, as soon as MLG is done milking it, they'll drop it like they did Melee.

Before you people blindly scream "TROLL!" or "OLD F@G" or something, think about it. It's what they did to Melee, basically.
People play Brawl because it is fun also.

Before you crybabies blindly scream "SCRUB" or "NUB" or something, think about it. Everyone would be wasting up Melee which would have it be a cash cow too if that was all Brawl is.

Oh and...
TROLLC:

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
People play Brawl because it is fun also.

Before you crybabies blindly scream "SCRUB" or "NUB" or something, think about it. Everyone would be wasting up Melee which would have it be a cash cow too if that was all Brawl is.

Oh and...
TROLLC:
honestly i understand where ur coming from bro, and all the brawl players do as well. but we gotta chill. boss vp man came in here and said stop, so we gotta stop. No more bickering.

MrMLGAdam

MLG EVP
I just saw the post you quoted....

Let me say right now that MLG invested WAY MORE money into Melee than we ever received in return. Do not say we milked it and then dropped it. Unfortunately as a fledgling company we had to make some tough decisions and Xbox exclusivity was one of them in order to maintain rights for titles. Now we are in a position to be console ambiguous. Please do not make blind assumptions.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I dunno why you people can't just be happy. It's a video game and now people can be back playing it on a big stage. What's so horrible about that?

If you don't like it, don't participate, because others definitely will.

DJRome

Smash Hero
i definitely can see that. melee just doesn't attract sponsors like sports games and shooters do.

but i think an important factor that melee players want is simply the support of mlg to "legitimize" the game into "pro status" I think very low supplement in terms of cash are needed - and really could be optional - for prizes and melee players already are accepting of paying for the venue costs, etc and providing our own setups.

obviously i do not know the depth of the company, but i honestly don't think melee players expect the same level of treatment and comps mlg gives to other games. and quite frankly i don't think a lot of brawlers expect that either. but such is the nature of mlg. . .

that said, im really happy for brawl and look forward to some **** this season

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
As someone who absolutely detests brawl let me just say this to every melee player here.

Stop it you idiots.

MLG picking up Brawl wasn't just a smart move, it was an obvious move. There's huge demand for Brawl to be in MLG and the game is literally one of the biggest games of the decade. People play Brawl, ALOT of people play brawl, and they legitimately enjoy it. Its something MLG could possibly make actual profit off of, there's no reason for them not to pick it up.

As for melee, let's see, we're posting our highest numbers for tournaments ever, we're having more worldwide tourneys than ever and we're doing it all without sponsorship and we show no signs of stopping. We're fine. We had our time to shine in MLG now it's Brawls turn, let them have it(lord knows they've earned it playing such a terrible game :p) Dont degenerate this thread into "Our game is better, we deserve it." We play video games. We dont deserve ****.

Edit: DJRome, im apologizing now in advance cus I didn't actually see these last few pages >_> This was not an attack on you.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i definitely can see that. melee just doesn't attract sponsors like sports games and shooters do.

but i think an important factor that melee players want is simply the support of mlg to "legitimize" the game into "pro status" I think very low supplement in terms of cash are needed - and really could be optional - for prizes and melee players already are accepting of paying for the venue costs, etc and providing our own setups.

obviously i do not know the depth of the company, but i honestly don't think melee players expect the same level of treatment and comps mlg gives to other games. and quite frankly i don't think a lot of brawlers expect that either. but such is the nature of mlg. . .

that said, im really happy for brawl and look forward to some **** this season
very well put Dj

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
now... lets see what they're gonna do about stalling. oh man i can't wait to see the commentators bore their minds out about it... sooo how long until the official MLG rules are out
I have a decent feeling MLG researched this decision, since it's a heavy investment. Therefore, they probably thought about what they're going to do with the rules, since that's one of the more dynamic aspects of Brawl at the moment. It'll be interesting what answers they've come up with.

iRJi

Smash Champion

Hmm. WHen you say finals, You mean the final event of the year? or the Pro section where they actually give out prizes each event. I question this because for one to actually go through all of AM bracket for an event, and not get anything else but points would be silly.

Also, does anyone know the max amount of players for the tourney? Knowing a cap off would be good to know as of right now.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. WHen you say finals, You mean the final event of the year? or the Pro section where they actually give out prizes each event. I question this because for one to actually go through all of AM bracket for an event, and not get anything else but points would be silly.

Also, does anyone know the max amount of players for the tourney? Knowing a cap off would be good to know as of right now.
When he speaks of finals, he talks about the very last event of the season. The Pro "lounge" is a place at the event that's more or less roped off so that only pros can go in and out. They usually have warmup stations as well as food and drink there.

And if you make it from AM to top 16, you get pro status, seeding points and money if you place top 8. The cash prizes can be found on MLG's website, I believe first place get's $2500.

Did I answer what you asked?

iRJi

Smash Champion
When he speaks of finals, he talks about the very last event of the season. The Pro "lounge" is a place at the event that's more or less roped off so that only pros can go in and out. They usually have warmup stations as well as food and drink there.

And if you make it from AM to top 16, you get pro status, seeding points and money if you place top 8. The cash prizes can be found on MLG's website, I believe first place get's $2500.

Did I answer what you asked?
Yepp. Thanks

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I am incredibly pleased with this.

Thank you, MLG. We'll prove it a wise investment :)

Amazing stuff.

Top Bottom