• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Online: Pathetic. So let's do something about it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The Lag from east to west I could accept, but they're like an overall slight to medium lag most of the time. And it ain't my connection.
this basically sums up alot of people's viewpoints.

It's probably true. It isn't your connection.

it's the other guy's connection. :dizzy:

I was playing with someone on AiB and we both made sure that we had high speed connections before we started playing. It was pretty much lagless (except for the start, which happens in most matches anyway).

After our 2nd game, it started spiking like crazy.

We tried rehosting/switching who was hosting and he came to the conclusion the server sucked since it was lagging so badly.

I played with someone else and had no lag. A few minutes later I checked the chatroom again and he was still complaining about his lag against another guy who challenged him.

After I explained it to him, he finally realized that his own connection was crapping out and went to restart his modem.

~___~" fail

M.K

Level 55
Mario Kart Wii's Online is un-argulably the BEST online that Nintendo has ever produced to date.
As a much less important Mario filler game, it upsets me that it has way better, more functional, and overall amazing internet gameplay.

Mario Kart Wii ONLINE > Super Smash Bros. Brawl ONLINE

Pre-Set Messages > No Interaction
Battle AND Race > 2 Min Always
Leaderboards > Who am I playing?
Staff Ghost Downloads > Crappy Photos and Replays
Online Unlockables > Bare Bones Online Frame
Online Tournaments >No Interaction between Nintendo and YOU
Skill Point System > Nothing

It's pretty clear, really!

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Mario Kart is far from JUST a filler game.

It is one of Nintendo's biggest cash cows. These games always make money.

They have a long competitive history.

They put a lot of effort into the online mode.

It is still sad that they didn't take their time to perfect Brawl's online mode.

biggunns007

Smash Rookie
worst game ever the online mode is a joke i can only play as donkey kong and he sucks bawls i mean come on you know the game is gunna be a hit and really take of and crowd the online servers why not makes sure they can work at the capacity that you atticipate to buy the actual game?

gsarany

Smash Cadet
Mario Kart has amazing online and no lag. Most people bought smashbros for the purpose of online play but its a huge dissapointment just like so many other people have noticed. It pisses me off they delayed it twice and they didnt have enough time to fix the online features. I traded in brawl for mario kart cause i was so disapointed with brawl. Anyways i agree with everything the poster has said.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
I most definitely agree with your argument on Nintendo's lack of online play. Playing games online is the way of the future, and most definitely one of the things the hardcore gamer crowd is looking for. However, the brawl community does what it can to remedy this by tournaments and friend finders, etc. In the next Smash Bros. iteration, I can almost guarantee you that Nintendo will further it's consoles online capabilities.

Asylum

Smash Journeyman
Tummy, that was a great statement. I will do what I can to get through to Nintendo and see what can be done. An online petition would be a good start. I'm sure thousands of people would be interested in that. We should get something started.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Yeah but the problem is Nintendo's not going to care. Nobody listens to online petitions, especially the multi-billion dollar corporations whom have just made sales history with the game you claim has problems.

"Hey, you totally ****ed up this game! We want you to fix it!"
"Well we sold almost five-million copies, made assloads of money, and have gotten five-star 10-out-of-10 overwhelming reviews everywhere. I think it's good like it is."

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart has amazing online and no lag. Most people bought smashbros for the purpose of online play but its a huge dissapointment just like so many other people have noticed. It pisses me off they delayed it twice and they didnt have enough time to fix the online features. I traded in brawl for mario kart cause i was so disapointed with brawl. Anyways i agree with everything the poster has said.
then stop posting on this site if your connection sucks and you gave away brawl for mario kart. which will get old.
my connection has been good usually, but lately its been sucking, does this mean im going to give up my smash career?
no...ill do what i would have done with melee. fix the problem or continue to exclusively play tourneys offline.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
i agree it's crazy i lost alot of battle cuz of the slowness that's why i stopped playing anyone online but i guess i can play with my friend only anyway yes it's bad and i hate the lag -_-

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yes, but while all smash games are meant to be casual and party-fighting games. If you wish to play that way-fine. Play online all day. I'll keep playing a game where the best player wins most of the time, versus almost exclusive random "Mario Party luck" sydrome. While Mario Kart Wii's online is superior in every way to Brawl's, it's just online. Mario Kart Wii is nowhere as good a game as Brawl, and is a party game and low/average-budget game at best. In fact, I still think Mario Kart 64 is better then Mario Kart Wii. Wario Stadium, Rainbow Road, and all the old awsome Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode stages ftw! O, and the Battle Mode is actually fun. and involves some skill! :laugh:

Yeah but the problem is Nintendo's not going to care. Nobody listens to online petitions, especially the multi-billion dollar corporations whom have just made sales history with the game you claim has problems.

"Hey, you totally ****ed up this game! We want you to fix it!"
"Well we sold almost five-million copies, made assloads of money, and have gotten five-star 10-out-of-10 overwhelming reviews everywhere. I think it's good like it is."
That's the sad truth, unless Nintendo actually cares about the fans in the long run. Nintendo doesn't care about us hardcore fans (anymore). They care about non-gamers almost exclusively. That's why Super Mario Galaxy was one the easiest game ever (though it was a great game), Mario Kart Wii is ridculously luck-based (probably the most luck-based Mario Kart game), and why ever friggen game on the Wii is easy as f***, or is stupid as f***! :laugh: Unless Nintendo cares more about their long time, hardcore and dedicated gamers more (Mother 3, b****es!), I see Nintendo only turning away from hardcore, heavy, and dedicated gamers.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I've only read the first post, so I'm going to respond to that.

It's true that online sucks and no one is terribly happy with it, but do you think Nintendo cares? They have no reason to fix online because 1) they already got the money you used to buy the game, 2) Sakurai could careless about the game being good, just as long as "everyone wins", and 3) there is not going to be a person who decides not to buy the game because of the online play.

It sucks, but we have to deal with it =\

Alegis

Smash Rookie
Just started playing, and I have a session every night now with a friend.

For friends, the online modi is good enough. If you need to have voice chat you could get yourself wireless headsets. One big grievance though: only save up to 3 mins of replay. What the **** is up with that? The files are about 110 kb in size, and the Nintendo file system allows for files to be bigger than that.

For strangers online play i guess you'd rather want live arcade services. Then again, I'm not interested in talking with strangers over brawl. Somehow I can only imagine whining.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I already have all of my friends ready to back you in whatever you decide to do, and I'm sure the Jiggs community will do the same. I suggest the spam approach because there is no way in h*** Nintendo will ever listen to a petition. PM me if any of you start so i don't fall behind.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
We do all that we can.

Wow people. This has read my mind.....to an extent. Why is it that nobody has done anything yet? I am another person who is disgusted with Brawls Online play, but consider your options.
What can you do?
1.Petition
2.Call Nintendo
3. Boycott The Game
4. Stop buying Anticipated Nintendo Games

Petition​
Lets go back a few. I took a quick look of some petitions for Brawl which included
Characters
And Online Play
Those were the major Petitions.
Well There were petitions for Daisy and there were some for having online play for Brawl when it wasn't released yet. When Nintendo went to E3 They talked about everything for Brawl but failed to mention it's wifi capabilities.Nintendo added Sonic to fill the need that he deserved a spot in Smash Bros.and that he was requested by the fans since melee. Point blank Nintendo just doesn't care about Petitions because they do no harm to them. Online play was garbage we have the evidence in the game:)

Call Nintendo​

Well who hasn't called Nintendo yet? I'm pretty surede we tried and we should have gotten an answer like......."Yes we are working very hard to improve this game online functions and.......yada yada yada Bull"
But why haven't they put up on their site that they are improving it? They can tell us on the phone but wont confirm it where it to the whole world. **** near everyone has internet so put that they are upgrading wifi on their site!! They wont because they aren't. So calling wont do nothin.
Boycott the game​
You must be crazy you have the game but u want to
-stop the sells of the game
-and rant on Nintendo for having a garbage wifi system for the game
But yet you countinue to play the game because lets face it everyone likes the games heck I freaking love dis game. But Boycotting the game wont happen for the fact that Nintendo gave you what you want which was
The next installment in the Smash Bros. Series

Stop Buying Anticapated Nintendo Games​
That aint happening lol.

But we as a Smash Community have pretty much reached our options for better wifi which sucks:( But we have not done this in vain.

Nintendo Is receiving a bad rep because of this one very very important function which has been so badly neglected. So what if Brawl was on a gamers review. What if someone said that Brawl was one of those games that would have been PERFECT if only they would have not made this painfull mistake. So whats 2 say Nintendo wont do it again?
What I'm saying is the only thing left to do is to do what we have been doin and hope that Nintendo will do something before their rep is demolished.
That sounds about right......right??

O well at least we still got Lotion.....

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we definitely need to do something about this, I mean theres no good reason for Brawl's online at all. Take a look at Mario Kart Wii's online. Its how I pictured Brawl's online to be, and I honestly don't see how Mario Kart is any more competitive and more deserving of a leader board than Brawl. Mario Kart is the same, if not less competitive than Brawl, and yet it gets a superior online system...

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
As to the OP, the whole thing can be summed up in just two words. Blame Sakurai.

edit: except for the lag. Blame America's lack of fiber-optic cables.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I don't think that Sakurai ever had any interest in online play to begin with. If it weren't for Nintendo insisting on online play being in the game, I don't even think that he would have added online play. Brawl's online seems like it was just something Sakurai threw together to make Nintendo happy.

He spent most of his time focusing on stupid things like the Subspace Emissary. I don't know how much of that is his fault though. There was a lot of demand for an improved single player adventure mode, from idiots who don't realise that Smash Bros. is not a single player game. I said from the beginning that any single player mode that they add is going to suck and take away from the part of the game that people actually want to play.

No one ever complains when games when single player games don't have good multi-player modes, or any multi-player at all for that matter. But everytime there's a big multi-player game, there's always a bunch of morons demanding that they add a good single player mode. That's why Mortal Kombat has it's stupid Conquest mode, Soul Calibur has that dumb RTS mode that it has, and now Smash Bros. has the Subspace Emissary. Not only do these single player modes take away from the good part of the game, but we're forced to play threw them just to unlock all of the multi-player options.

So to everyone who wanted a good single player mode because they thought it would be like "Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo characters", you got what you asked for. I hope you're happy.

Honestly, the only things that Brawl has that are better than Melee are the online play and the stage builder, and both of those suck.

The online mode looks like it was some kind of early attempt at online gaming from the 90's or something.

And the stage builder only has 3 boring backgrounds, and hardly any options at all. If you try to make a playable stage, it's boring and inferior to the stages already in the game. If you try to make a creative stage, it's unplayable.

super beans

Smash Cadet
why does brawls wifi suck so hard and mario karts wifi is great why. it makes brawling online impossable
with all of the lag. i just whis that mario kart and brawl could some how magicaly switch there wifi.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
One thing I hate is how people will beat you online. And even when there's overall lag, input lag and all that jazz, they believe they are better than you. IMO, most brawls over online don't proove much

Claiming you're better than someone over Brawl's online is like throwing a rock at the Mafia. Just....wtf?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
The only thing we could ever 'do' about Brawl's online is make an emulator for the Wii that ran on a supercomputer that hosted ad-hoc internet connections that allowed people from around the world to take on the "Player 2-4" controller via the emulator's setup.

But. That's going to be impossible since this game is only a month or two old.

So, can we just close this?

Jawsh!

Smash Cadet
So yeah, I gave up on this thread for a little while. Now, some 10 pages later I'm still seeing the same stuff.

"Yeah, this is totally bad. We should fix it."
"I think we should start a petition."
"I hate the online."

This thread is a lost cause.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Wow this is still going on? It's the same stuff too, you guys have the same arguments other people did liong ago, some guys talking about how they think it's good, one guy is talking about their experience and how it's fine, and then someone who make some argument about a game that's already come out to send a letter to Nintendo to change (very likely (sarcasm)) it. Yep this should be closed I hate these repeating threads, youur not convincing anyone anything not many people on this forum listen to other people and take in what they say, so arguments here don't work.
Failure Thread
<(**<)

Jawsh!

Smash Cadet
Wow this is still going on? It's the same stuff too, you guys have the same arguments other people did liong ago, some guys talking about how they think it's good, one guy is talking about their experience and how it's fine, and then someone who make some argument about a game that's already come out to send a letter to Nintendo to change (very likely (sarcasm)) it. Yep this should be closed I hate these repeating threads, youur not convincing anyone anything not many people on this forum listen to other people and take in what they say, so arguments here don't work.
Failure Thread
<(**<)
My thoughts exactly.

Tenki

Smash Hero
besides, all the communication problems can be solved by using the internet for matchmaking (friend finder, smashbrawlrankings, allisbrawl...)

@.@;

and people still don't understand the whole peer to peer aspect of the game.

guy with cable vs guy with dial up
guy with cable: omfg i have cable connection and brawl lags!111 online lags suxx. server is so sloww

guy with cable vs guy with cable who's using some seeding program like bt or limewire:
both: wtf we both have good connections and we still have lag! online lag suxxx big brawlz

Mr. Game and Pichu

Smash Journeyman
For friends, the online modi is good enough. If you need to have voice chat you could get yourself wireless headsets. One big grievance though: only save up to 3 mins of replay. What the **** is up with that? The files are about 110 kb in size, and the Nintendo file system allows for files to be bigger than that.

For strangers online play i guess you'd rather want live arcade services. Then again, I'm not interested in talking with strangers over brawl. Somehow I can only imagine whining.
Brawl has no voice chat

gaborap

Smash Journeyman
i dont think that there is much we can do about it. the game is already made so they cant change things. whats done is done i guess... like GH 3. that was a dissapointment but they never fixed the dlc problem it had so then it became a BIG let down :(.

Top Bottom