• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl or Melee (Not what you think! Please Read)

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO CREATE A POLL, BUT I HAVE TO LEAVE FOR WORK

I've played Melee since '04, mostly casual, but I'm best in my playgroup. (I know this means nothing, but anyways).

I got Brawl when it came out on the 9th and still am best of my group (again just giving background).

The problem is that, I really have no method of getting to tournaments, and most of my playgroup got the "I'm to old for video games" bug, so I have no one to really play/practice against. When I do we end up playing Brawl for like an hour. I 3 stock them, they John and we turn it off.

I really want to focus on getting competitive in either Brawl or Melee, not both. I want to try to get to tournaments at least once a month or so, or at least to bigger ones.

I play Marth in both Melee and Brawl, so I have no problems here.

The only thing is that most players have WAAAAAY more EXP in Melee than I do.

BUT! I turn to you Smash Boards. Read this post before submitting your answer to the poll. I want to know: Should I play Melee exclusively or Brawl exclusively?

Answer to the poll. I do NOT need your comments on the matter, as I don;t want a flame war. So please help me

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Play Brawl. It's more n00b-friendly, and the Melee scene will be dominated by people who are waaay out of your league.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Despite what you claim, this is, alas, another Melee vs. Brawl topic. ANY topic where you either contrast Brawl & Melee, or ask people to give opinions of advice for one over the other, then its another Melee vs. Brawl topic.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Play Melee, those of us who still play could use some money when we win.

Not that I win, or even play Melee anymore due to the fact that it's nonexistent around me, but eh.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Well since you posted this in the General Brawl forums, your results are going to be pretty skewed...

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Play the one you personally prefer.

Simple.

EDIT: Is it just me or does it seem like every other thread is asking the Smashboards community for advice on who they should main, whether they should stick with Brawl, or go back to Melee etc.? All questions, that in truth, are best solved by the OP themselves. Soon there's going to be a 'What should I wear today?' thread.

Fletch

Smash Master
I think most people will agree that Melee is the better game to play competitively, but it really depends on what you want. If you want to put in a lot of time and really be rewarded eventually after being repeatedly destroyed, I would suggest Melee. If you're looking for an easier experience and more noob-friendly environment, choose Brawl.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
I think I will go for Melee. But like, without constant practice I don;t think I'll get far, correct?

Oh and I know how to SHFFL in Melee too, if that matters, as well as Wavedash.

Oh and what is Wobbling?

MikeMoney

Smash Apprentice
its a bit to late in melee's life to just start going to tournys now so much of melee is about experiance I would say brawl would be the better choice for u

Fletch

Smash Master
I think I will go for Melee. But like, without constant practice I don;t think I'll get far, correct?

Oh and I know how to SHFFL in Melee too, if that matters, as well as Wavedash.

Oh and what is Wobbling?
It's not really knowing how to perform these techniques that matters, but more when to utilize them. I could SHFFL and WD before my first tournament, but I still got destroyed.

Wobbling is an IC infinite named for the player Wobbles the Phoenix. It used to be banned a lot, but a good deal of tournaments still allow it. Look it up on YouTube.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well.. if you like to play casually then Brawl is your game, but since you wanna start playing more competitavely then I'd recommend Melee due to it being much more technical

** Finally I"M A SMASH MASTA****

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I would suggest you play brawl only because that is what the tournament scene is now. Hopefully if you are lucky they will have Melee as a secondary tournament or something in which you could get good at that and then make the switch to Melee.

Cecilia K.

Smash Apprentice
Mike_Echoes, play Melee.

People who say, "I play Brawl because no one else plays Melee around me" are THE EXACT REASON people are playing Brawl instead. Oh, the irony.

Just bring Melee setups to smashfests and watch the sparks fly.

Seriously, Brawl is inferior in terms of competitiveness. AND THERE ARE MELEE TOURNIES.

Top Bottom