• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Poll: Who is your best character?

Who is your best character

• Total voters

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Who is you best character? I do not mean who do you main, although this is often the same character.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Oddly enough, my best character happens to be my main. That may change as I practice more with Toon Link, Snake, and others. Who knows?

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Fox. :bee:

I have been playing as him ever since I got the game, never going to change mains. Except sometimes to play Wolf for fun.

i8pie

Smash Apprentice
Mine would be Metaknight. I like Diddy but Metaknight is much easier to use and KO with and he's one of the few characters where if I just charge in blindly, I mostly get a good result (though not all the time).

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Smash 64: Fox.
Smash Melee: Falco.
Smash Brawl: None.
Project M will probably be Falco.

Agoat

Smash Rookie
Snake. Mario is really bad in Brawl, and I decided to pick up Snake because I absolutely love Metal Gear.

Turns out he's #2 on the tier list. :p

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
It's on and off for most of my secondaries, but i can say my best character is easily Falcon, PT, or Samus. I'm going with Falcon since he gets most of my wins on ranked players. Samus, Sonic, and PT are strong secondaries. I'm decent with just about everyone else.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wolf has been one of my favorites to use, thanks to his quick smash attacks and good air speed. The main thing that kills him, however, is the poor accuracy of his vertical recovery; horizontal recovery isn't too bad.

Akumin Beast

Smash Rookie
A Short Reason For Why I Main Bowser

I have played to a rather intermediate level with every character that Brawl has to offer. I am actually really good with Bowser. I would say bowser is definately viable as a character in brawl AND tournaments. You cannot use him as a power house, per se. He is in the same field as Ganondorf, where you try not to get hit as much as you can, (So you don't get knocked off the stage) Learn to defend as many projectiles as you can. (It's possible to block projectiles from the rather annoying characters such as ROB, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Pit, etc. I powershield them 95% of the time.)

It takes alot of strategy to play Bowser, you cannot just go in for the kill. I learned that Bowser can be a pretty decent edge guarder aswell. (Not talking about his flamethrower either.) He also has alot of strength, so if you mindgame your opponent enough, try to get him into a position where he has lesser options, then strike those deadly hits. His damage he puts on your opponent is great. Just yesterday I pissed off a decent MK player ; Lucario player. His MK and I were in Hyrule Temple, I killed him, and some noob Lucas with 13%. Found some food, and ran around the entire Hyrule Temple map evading MK with mindgames, and evasive maneuvers with 0% til the round ended. (Which is why he picked Lucario XD) Then the next round, he got me to about 40ish percent with his Lucario in that Pillar level. He had some impressive spacing skills, but I started to see his patterns, and made him do things I wanted him to do, so I can punish him. (I do this to Marth players alot. I would dash, like I was going to attack, short hop back, then if I see that reflector, I charge a nice meaty F Smash. Which hits 30+ %. Bowser is already a powerhouse to begin with. Can kill most characters at 100ish% with just up tilt.) I got him to 40% easy. I waited on the bottom level, because I knew that Lucario player wanted me dead because I destroyed his MK with the alleged worst character in the game. (Pft. I don't believe in ''worst''. Nor ''best''. Time, factors, and basic human responses is what matters. Every character has their hard matchups, and easy matchups. If you play right, mindgame your opponent, stay unpredictable, aswell as know the match up. - PLAY YOUR CHARACTER HOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED - Bowser and every (low-tier) is viable. Just try to not get 1. Pressured. 2. Mindgamed. (Which is a paradox, because an opponent can mindgame your mindgaming them into their own mindgame infinitely. Just hope your mindgames > their mindgames)

I believe in knowledge, not skill. I learned a trick that all the Bowser players might find very helpful. Bowser is all about pressuring your opponent, aswell as using their underestimating against them. They think they can hit you as if you are a standing punching bag, but Bowser will turn you into one if you don't approach carefully. They also are aware that your attacks are heavy. The trick is to get them to start spot dodging, (going to have to mix this up during certaint situations) What you do is charge at them. They will think you are going to dash attack. So they spotdodge. Instead, stop dashing, roll behind them, they will think you will attack them with a quick attack. So by second nature, they should spot dodge 2-3 times.
Charge F Smash, when you see the dodge frames dissappear, then they should spotdodge again, if they do, they will be in a world of hurt. Either way they will get hit. (This is if they don't powershield your F Smash, which is why you get them into spot dodging that way they aren't thinking of shielding, because they just spot dodged your fake dash attack.) What you are doing is using their evasive maneuvers against them :p. (Takes very difficult timing, but once you get used to it, it's a great way to catch your opponent off guard for trying to do the same thing to you.) Now lets also take into account, if they decide to roll towards you, you can use down smash which is already a nice move that shouldn't be underestimated. If you want to damage + space + possibly a follow up bait (Meaning you get them to do my strategy. Then use up special towards the right or left, damaging them while fortress lifts them up in the air. They should air dodge, if they do, you can either run and plant a nice flamethrower in their face for some more %, or you can run and up smash them back up in the air, which is basically making their number of options very slim, and their options are even worse because of mindgames make every decision they make a roulette. Thats how you pressure an opponent with Bowser.

I figured, just saying ''My main is Bowser'' wasn't enough to elaborate why I am maining your alleged worst character. Bowser is all about land and defend. (You can also shorthop claw attacks along with all this I have mentioned.) The air is your opponents hell. I am referring to Luigi, Yoshi, Kirby, JigglyPuff, Peach, and other aerial types aswell. (Just takes alot of mindgame, especially peach. I had this one match where she juggled me to 80% and chain grabbed aswell as amazing item throwing manuevers. I found out how she played, and the next match I 2 stocked her with 40%. By just using her air mobility against her. The key is to not get hit by Peach, and go after her when she is vulnerable. She is light after all, mhmm?)

In fact. Not sure if this is plausible to defend my place as a bowser main, but I can hold back a semi pro ZSS ; Samus along with 2 decent SPAMMERS. Lucas, and Toon Link on FD. I thought FD was bad for a spammer, let alone 3 characters on the same team in FFA against a Bowser. Obviously, either these (tiers) and (bad maps) are all insufficient data, or.. I am not human. Which I am. So that can't be the case. So how can my Bowser hold against 3 players on FD, and not get edge hogged, aswell as pummeled by projectiles? Mindgames.. They also can hit each other, so I used that aswell. Powershielding, and baiting. I like using flamethrower near the edge, so that I damage 1 or two of them, while the smart one comes from above, I use Up B off the edge, grab on the ledge and use my ledge attack, or jump off the edge and use side B on the one who tries to attack me, bringing them back to the middle of the stage while the two I just flame throwed are still by the edge. (Because they were obviously going to gimp me.)

Another great advice for any Bowser player. You know that fat Bowser move that crushes opponents, with down B? Well, I know it's incredibly slow, but I have learned how to use it where it can be a mandatory in Bowser's arsenal. Refer to my strategy above, but instead of them spot dodging, make them use a move that has ending lag. Don't jump over them and use down B. Just dash right next to them at the end of their move and use down B, the opponent should be sprung up by going up with down B, then smashed into a star KO while coming down with down B. (It's also great for getting easy kills on WiFi on noobs, especially when you have those AFK wars where you see who can kill the AFK'er the most wins. Which I hate these. It's so boring >: and annoying, because your opponent acts like they are hardcore.) It takes serious mindgames to land this but it's very rewarding. I have killed a really good G&W player with this move on FD. Got falcon pawnched though XD. Definately worth it.

Something that seems to be underated unless it's implying koopa-cide. That side B move deals 18% damage every time.. You should take this into consideration. Not only that, alot of Bowser's moves pushes opponents back because of his strength. You could easily rack up damage launching them into all sorts of nasty situations and force them into DI mindgames.

You are welcome to PM me your opinions if you like. :p Bowser will always be my main. I also use Ganondorf and Charizard. My charizard is scary and I make him look like a ninja, and my Ganondorf is average.

Oh, also I am new to the Smashboards. Greetings everyone. :p

For anyone who likes quotes. I create quotes in my spare time, so I will share one with those who like them. :D

''The only thing that can be perfect. Is the ability to see that imperfection is the root of all perfections.
Everything, that explains contradictory through contradiction, is the perfect non contradictory.''

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
This'll turn out nicely once a couple hundred people respond! I'm glad to see four Bowsers so far.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
For me it's Yoshi. I've been using Yoshi for so long that his moveset feels natural to me sometimes.

SpliziT

Smash Cadet
Fox is my best / Favorite Character. He has very few bad matchups and those matchups are VERY bad lol but when you find a way around those matchups it makes you a very dangerous player.

Top Bottom