• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl ported to the 3DS?

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
Kinda thought this was the best place to put this. If needed, place move this to a 3DS section or something. Anywho...

Obviously, this hasn't happened yet, or any news out about this, but with ports coming to the 3DS such as Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, and even Super Street Fighter 4, does anyone think that Super Smash Bros Brawl will receive the same treatment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Super Street Fighter 4 3DS edition was able to keep most of it's fighters from the Xbox360 game, having 35 characters.

If ported, I believe that Super Smash Bros Brawl can manage the same amount of characters, if not, at least 25 characters. Maybe keeping 20 of the best veterans and adding 5-10 newcomers.

They could improve on things such as the multiplayer, singleplayer, and the vault system. Even introduce Wii to 3DS modes.

For starters, the streetpass system could exchange information such as favorite characters, stages, items, and display other info such as friend codes, trophies collected, messages, and matches played. Vault would be interesting as trophies you earn could be used in taking pictures like the AR cards. It would also be interesting if you could create you own stages by taking pictures and upload it to your game. Heck, the touch screen could be used to make stages. Things such as trading pictures, replays, and stages would stay the same. Also, the SD card could be used for a ton of things. Such as passing Wii data to 3DS and even making your own custom soundtracks. Now that would be the bomb.

Multiplayer could be played by creating local rooms for anyone to join, or creating private leader created rooms. Player profiles would also be nice. While in a room, players can open up a players profile revealing info such as characters, stages, messages, and exchange your universal friend codes. The room could also be used to set up rules, pick characters and stages, and send open messages to communicate. Making a room open for more than 4 people could be used for spectating a match on your 3DS or even, call me crazy, have an eight player match, which I doubt would happen. Also, the ability to play with up to 4 people with only one game card would be a plus.

Let's face it, the wifi in Brawl wasn't what most of us hoped for or deserved. It's a chance to introduce new things, such as an improved wifi system, playlists when playing random online matches, and better friend list communication. Spot pass could also be used to recieve new content like last time with things like snapshots, stages, and replays. Maybe even downloadable content such as new characters and stage, but once again, highly doubt that.

And as for Singleplayer, there's not much that I could say. Records made in target practice, homerun contest, boss battles and multi-man melee, could be traded using spot pass. And bringing back classic mode, allstar, training, and the Subspace would be nice. Also, new bosses for boss battle would be nice too. The spotpass system could also be used for Nintendo to add new events for us to play.

Another cool thing would connection from Wii to 3DS. This way, you could put your replays, stages, snapshot and records to your 3DS system. It would also be nice if you could transfer your save so you wouldn't have to unlock things over again.

So in all, a port to the 3DS would just be freaking awesome. I think this will help out players who want to brawl on the go with friends and use the new features that the 3DS has to offer. However, being on the 3DS, correct me if I'm wrong again, would limit the amount of content that the game could have. Anyway, here's kinda the rundown of what I think would happen if it was ported. Kinda like a watered down version.

Group
-Create a room
-Join a room
-Create a tourney
-Join a tourney
-Join a random room
-Edit Profile

Single
-Stadium: Target smash, Boss battles, multiman brawl, home run contest.
-Subspace emissary (Probably not happening)
-Events (Downloaded from Spotpass)
-Classic (We gotta have some singleplayer)

Nintendo Wifi Connection
-Random match (Playlists: 1 vs 1, free for all (Brawl), team battle)
-With friends (Create a room, join a friend, edit profile, friend list)
-Spectate
-Spotpass

Vault
-Streetpass
-Custom Stages
-Snapshots
-Replays
-Trophies

Options
(Just your basics)

Characters 25-35
Veterans 25-30
-Mario
-Luigi
-Link
-Kirby
-Pikachu
-Fox
-Samus
-Peach
-Zelda/Shiek
-Bowser
-Ganondorf
-Donkey Kong
-Yoshi
-Ice Climbers
-Pit
-Pokemon Trainer*
-Jigglypuff
-Ike
-Marth*
-Meta Knight
-King Dedede
-Falco
-Wario
-Pikmin and Olimar*
-Ness
-Captain Falcon
-Mr. Game and Watch*
-Toon Link*
(Snake and Sonic would be cool. I dunno if they would appear again if it was a port.)
If space was limited, this is who I would pick.
*If space was really limited, remove character

Newcomers
5-10
(May not be included for a port. To save space or time)
This is also a personal opinion, so this may vary among people.
Staffy
Waluigi
Samurai Goroh
Mii
Isaac
(Gray Fox and Shadow if Snake and Sonic were included)
Princess Rosalina
A pokemon, varies
Bowser Jr.

Stages
15-20 Brawl Stages
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Isle Delfino
-Luigi's Mansion
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island
-Lylat Cruise
-Rumble Falls
-Skyworld
-Castle Siege
-Wario Ware Inc.
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Halberd
-PictoChat
-Mario Circuit
-Norfair
-Distant Planet
-Port Town Aero Drive
(Shadow Moses Island and Green Hill Zone if Snake and Sonic return)

Returning
5-12
Hyrule (Melee)
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Rainbow Cruise (Melee)
Corneria (Melee)
Onett (Melee
Brinstar (Melee)
Jungle Japes (Melee)
Green Greens (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
3 N64 stages, too hard for me to pick.

New
6-8
Comet Observatory (Super Mario Galaxy)
Train (Zelda: Spirit Tracks)
A Pokemon Black and White Stage
Wii sports (Resort) Stage
Kirby's Epic Yarn Stage
Donkey Kong Country Returns stage
(MSF Base from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Planet Wisp from Sonic Colors if Snake and Sonic are added.)

Music
Depends on the stage.
Add new ones from the new games.

Overall, of all the games that should get and port to the 3DS, I think it should be Brawl. There's so much that can be done with the 3DS system and things that weren't done with Wii. It also opens up for new things to be added. Also, newcomers and new stages are from a personal opinion and may not be added if they can't fit.

Anyway, that's just what I think. Leave by your comments of modes, additions, characters, stages, and other things. Also, if this is better off in the 3DS section or somewhere else, feel free to move it there.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I don't see how this cant be done. I mean, after seeing SF4 being on this, and several other games, brawl should be able to be ported. Only problem I would see is when there is a 4 player battle and there is an incredible amount of lag between all the users, and thus be a huge turn off for a lot of players.

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
I heard that smashbros64 may be on it... =P
Even if it's the N64 version, as long as I can play Smash on the go with 3DS features, that would be awesome.

Only problem I would see is when there is a 4 player battle and there is an incredible amount of lag between all the users, and thus be a huge turn off for a lot of players.
I never though about this, but yes, that would be a major turn off. I hope that it won't be a problem if ported.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I sure hope not. I would rather see a new SSB game hat was actually designed for the 3DS then another brawl. Gross.

If we ported Brawl i would assume that a lot of stuff would have to be left out I mean Wii's were having trouble reading the disc because of how much stuff was on it. That's whY i would prefer an Original 3DS game, with 15 - 20 characters, all from Nintendo's portable systems.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If smash 64 was on the 3ds, i would get one solely for that.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
I used to want this to happen, but think about it. The best thing about Smash Bros is four people huddled around a TV drinking Mountain Dew and cursing at each other while beating each other up with cartoons. You take away the whole frenzied 1 console experience and you take away what Smash is all about (to me).

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
haha, I see your point.
I just thought a game like Smash had pretty good potential by using 3DS features such as wifi, streetpass, spotpass, portability, and a chance to see more features.

And it is always fun playing with a group of people around a TV, there's no doubting that.

pass the syrup

Smash Journeyman
If it did come out I would get it, but I just feel like I wouldn't be nearly as excited for it as I was for the console games.

Life

Smash Hero
Without starting BVM in this thread, Melee is probably more likely to be ported to 3DS than Brawl is because it's much more difficult to find and it's roughly three times as old. Really tho, any smash on 3DS would be welcomed.

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
Would be cool to see some 64/melee type hybrid... with melee play and 64ish graphics }=)

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I personally would like to see Smash 64 ported, but with Melee style visuals the following added to the roster:

Marth
Bowser
Game & Watch
Wario
Ice Climbers
Pit
Ike
Snake(Maybe if feasible)
Sonic(Maybe if feasible)
Ganondorf
Zelda
Sheik
Mewtwo

And Mute City,Hyrule Temple, Onett, SMI(If Possible), GHZ(if possible), a Wario Land themed stage, and a less bad stage builder.

link2702

Smash Champion
no

x10000

if they port over any of the smash games, it needs to be melee.

let lolbrawl die already.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
shouldn't be the other way around? let melee die already? :troll:

lol, flame aside, I'd rather have a SSB3DS than a port srsly, but that ain't going to happen, just our luck

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
I'd like it to be ported, but the very same game please (with better Wi-Fi though).

Something to do while traveling to tournaments =) And training at the same time!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That's whY i would prefer an Original 3DS game, with 15 - 20 characters, all from Nintendo's portable systems.
And what characters are we going to get that are from portables? That rules out just about every decent character in SSB.
No Starfox characters
No Donkey Kong (unless I'm mistaken)
No Ice Climbers
No Kirby stuff (except "Ball Kirby")
No Mr.Game&Watch
No Olimar
No non-toon Link

What have we got left? Pokemon Smash? I think not!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, assuming they do decide on a Smash Bros. game for the 3DS, I'd imagine more of a Smash 64 port with updated graphics in the same vein as Ocarina of Time. I would also see them adding improvements to the system, like adding additional characters (Peach and Bowser were considered for the original Smash Bros. at one point), additional stages which includes Metal Cave, Battlefield and Final Destination as selectable stages. Maybe have an air dodge and spot-dodge, and more music. They don't need to really introduce a whole lot to improve upon it. It's the small things that can make a classic feel really fresh again.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think that if we do get a 3DS Smash, the roster should include characters who've had handheld games. It should also include characters who had more than cameo appearances as well. That way, console Smash games will have characters that mostly appear on home systems, while a handheld Smash has characters that have a lot of appearances on portable devices. It shouldn't adhere to that too strictly, and it doesn't have to be a port. It can be like the 3.5th game that mainly showcases and references Ninterndo's handheld aspects.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
And what characters are we going to get that are from portables? That rules out just about every decent character in SSB.
No Starfox characters
No Donkey Kong (unless I'm mistaken)
No Ice Climbers
No Kirby stuff (except "Ball Kirby")
No Mr.Game&Watch
No Olimar
No non-toon Link

What have we got left? Pokemon Smash? I think not!
The only characters that really should be on this list are Ice Climbers and Olimar.

Enraged Psycho

Smash Rookie
Kirby's Dream Land (GameBoy)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GameBoy)
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land (GBA)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA)
Kirby: Canvas Curse (DS)
Kirby: Squeak Squad (DS)
Kirby Super Star Ultra (DS)

Donkey Kong (GameBoy)
Donkey Kong Land (GameBoy)
Donkey Kong Land 2 (GameBoy)
Donkey Kong Land 3 (GameBoy)
Mario vs Donkey Kong (GBA)
DK King of Swing (GBA)
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS)
DK Jungle Climber (DS)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DS)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (DS)

Starfox Command (DS)

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBA)
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBA)

Also, the 10+ Game and Watch handhelds from days of old would like a word with you.

So, yeah, your list is pretty faulty, and we are still left with enough to formulate a varied and enjoyable roster of characters.

Neontiger94

Smash Apprentice
My feelings toward a portable smash are rather ambivalent

For one thing car rides would be epic!

But I really believe that smash should stick to the criterion 1 per generation, exclusive to home consoles. Also smash is designed to be a party game that "keeps the living room live" A portable smash would take away that feeling

Slashy

Smash Lord
Umm, as I recall the 3DS is more powerful than the Wii, this stuff about lag shouldn't be an issue.

Enraged Psycho

Smash Rookie
But I really believe that smash should stick to the criterion 1 per generation, exclusive to home consoles. Also smash is designed to be a party game that "keeps the living room live" A portable smash would take away that feeling
No. SSB is designed as a verstaile fighting game featuring Nintendo's All-Stars in an all-out clash. This can be achieved online, or off. Honestly, this whole "Gather a few friends 'round the house to fight" is not what the game was designed for, it's just what people happen to do. There is large difference. The game was made as a fighting game, and what some people happen to do with the product passed that is up to the user, but does not necessarily reflect the intentions of the developers. Sure, 4 player local play is allowed. Does that mean it must be used? No.

It's like with Halo. Halo supports 4-player local, but almost everyone I know would prefer to go online, even a game as social as Halo is considered to be.

Sushi21

Smash Apprentice
Well, assuming they do decide on a Smash Bros. game for the 3DS, I'd imagine more of a Smash 64 port with updated graphics in the same vein as Ocarina of Time. I would also see them adding improvements to the system, like adding additional characters (Peach and Bowser were considered for the original Smash Bros. at one point), additional stages which includes Metal Cave, Battlefield and Final Destination as selectable stages. Maybe have an air dodge and spot-dodge, and more music. They don't need to really introduce a whole lot to improve upon it. It's the small things that can make a classic feel really fresh again.
This can be done very well. Either this or a Melee port is very do able (Is that even a word?).
For the N64, they had even planned even more characters than Peach and Bowser, they even thought about Pit, Mewtwo, and King Dedede.

Also, party games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Animal Crossing, and other games have had a DS game.

I just think Smash Bros would be the next obvious step and it would be a shame to pass up the 3DS abilities.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Doesn't count. It was crap.

They were non-toon?

I think Nintendo could prioritize characters who've been on handhelds and still get away with having a non-Toon Link because of OoT 3DS. A lot of Zelda fans know that its coming out, so a realistic Link's presence isn't a problem tbh. Both of the Links could be in.

EDIT: There's also the Starfox 64 remake. I think someone should make a list of all the SSB fighters who had a handheld game.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
No. SSB is designed as a verstaile fighting game featuring Nintendo's All-Stars in an all-out clash. This can be achieved online, or off. Honestly, this whole "Gather a few friends 'round the house to fight" is not what the game was designed for, it's just what people happen to do. There is large difference. The game was made as a fighting game, and what some people happen to do with the product passed that is up to the user, but does not necessarily reflect the intentions of the developers. Sure, 4 player local play is allowed. Does that mean it must be used? No.
In Japanese ad for first SSB, you had 4 kids playing SSB. In US ad, you hear "where all your favorite characters go toe-to-toe in one FOUR PLAYER..."

Need to say more?

Enraged Psycho

Smash Rookie
Remakes/Ports don't count.
Ermm, yes, they do. They're still games.

Doesn't count. It was crap.

They were non-toon?
It's level of quality doesn't invalidate as a game. Incredibly faulty reasoning.

In Japanese ad for first SSB, you had 4 kids playing SSB. In US ad, you hear "where all your favorite characters go toe-to-toe in one FOUR PLAYER..."

Need to say more?
If you'd actually properly read my post, you'd realise immediately that I said it wasn't necessarily designed for 4 player LOCAL. Note the "Necessarily" and "Local". Important words.

Seriously guys, read properly and develop a true sense of logic.

Top Bottom