• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
anyone? anyone? bueller?.... >_________________________>
First one is simple. You can't make everything transparent. In fact there are only a few things that can be made transparent Ike's cape, parts of Zelda's and Peach's dress for example. Only way to find out what works and what not is to try out.

I'm not sure about your second question, haven't done any peach textures.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Actually some normal textures can be made transparent. Almost all of Zelda and Samus's lower body can be made transparent.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
we're trying to make the bottom of peach's dress transparent so as to make it a little shorter. the problem is not whether or not it can be transparent. the problem is that i tried to make it so and it would not oblige, since i don't really know how to do **** like indexed colors

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
we're trying to make the bottom of peach's dress transparent so as to make it a little shorter. the problem is not whether or not it can be transparent. the problem is that i tried to make it so and it would not oblige, since i don't really know how to do **** like indexed colors
As I said I haven't made any Peach reskins. Is her dress a +2 texture? Otherwise the magneta method won't work and you have to use the alpha layer for transparency. I only know how to do it in photoshop and gimp though.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
That's simple the texture are usually named tex# and some numbers the +2 textures simply have a +2 added after their normal numbers.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Fox' Headgear, Ike's Hair, some character's iris. That's the one I encountered so far, guess there are more though. I have only edited 12 different characters so far.

What I don't get is, even though Fox and Falco's scouter use the same level of transparency Fox' texture is +2 and Falco's is a normal one.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ASH only detects the magneta in +2 textures. If you're using photoshop, in the little window where you can select your layers click on the tab channels. The alpha layer should be unchecked if you check it you'll see what parts of the texture orginaly were transparent. (In my case the area's are painted red don't know if they changed the color for newer photoshop versions) Your fore- and background color should be black and white as long as you have the alpha layer checked. Now just simply paint all the areas you want transparent black (again they turn red for me). White in return removes transparency.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
ok I am currently having problems making my .tcs files into .tpl files... I am following Pharrox guide. It tells me at one point to do the command prompt thing but it wouldn't work at all.I've even tried changing my textures but still no go.. If someone tell me what I can do it will be great.Thanks in advance...

Steelia

Smash Champion
ok i have a few questions that would be appriciated if they were answered

1) my friend has been trying to apply a transparent texture to our project, to my knowledge, he set everything so that it should be transparent (im not sure what they are atm...) but to no avail.

2) in this project, we are trying to set peach's eyes to her partially closed image in place of her fully open eye texture. but when he applied the changes to the open eye, and i tested it, her eye was fully open with some of her eye lashes gone.

any thoughts? if i was unclear on any of my questions, please say so, and ill reiterate.

by the way. the program he is using to edit the textures is called Creative Suite 3 in case that helps out
That's probably it. I'd highly recommend playing around with the textures in PHOTOSHOP, and previewing them with Autodesk 3ds Max (something called the Collada plugin is also needed for this program). Really hefty program, some 700MB, but definitely worth downloading if you like previews instead of constant running back and forth with texture editing.

For transparency... there are some characters that cannot have transparency forced. You know you can make textures transparent when: in their Alpha layer, they have black (like Peach's dress texture, NOT with her face); and when the texture is +2 AND has black on the Alpha layer.
Peach's eye... I tried messing with that as well. Did you paste that half-closed eye on ALL her eye textures? As in, did you have her half-closed eye pasted on all the wide-eyed textures of her? That may be it... Not 100% sure, as I haven't tested it myself. That, or the texture editing program you're using could be the problem.

I'm trying to make textures for Sheik and Yoshi, but I'm have trouble with Yoshi_egg+2.tga
(contains no egg only light blue)
and EyeHigh+2.tga (is only light green). When I start the game, Sheik has these
scary gridy eye's (no iris) and Yoshi has no egg only with a round thing with lines.
I have indexed both of the files in Photoshop with and without transparency, same result.

How do I fix this?
Well, for starters, I'd highly recommend NOT messing with those two particular files (unless all you want in Yoshi's case is a bland, 1-colored egg shell).
Sheik's eye high... Don't worry about that. All that is for is making the highlight on her eyes (you know... the shine; the white dot near the iris). Not sure why it's green... but when you try to ASH it, it'll just cover the whole eye. Better off not messing with it.

In any case, to "fix" this, simply re-ASH the Sheik and Yoshi files, pasting the files you wanted to edit, but NOT editing Sheik's eyehigh and Yoshi's eggshell.

ok I am currently having problems making my .tcs files into .tpl files... I am following Pharrox guide. It tells me at one point to do the command prompt thing but it wouldn't work at all.I've even tried changing my textures but still no go.. If someone tell me what I can do it will be great.Thanks in advance...

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/Darkshadow96/ScreenShot002.jpg
Welllll... judging from the shot...
You're not doing the hexing manually, are you? ASH program does it automatically; did you read the ASH instructions?
When you start ASH, all you have to do is:
-double-click "step1_extract(?)"
-edit your texture files (making appropriate Indexing and Magenta-ing for +1/+2 textures respectively)
-double-click "step2_create"
-get all the edited texture folders and the newly created "_new.pac" and "_new.pcs" out of the ASH folder into someplace else.

I see you're trying to do the TCS-to-TPL conversion yourself... Don't bother. ASH'll do it. :chuckle:

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
ok Thanks for the advice I will try it. The texutres are not +2 or +1. There normal textures. And I did not get an ash readme of any sort :ohwell: Well I am gonna try this right now and report back.

Edit1: Now the step 1_extract file is saying..."Error I can't delete character textures folder"
Edit2: After numerous attempts.. I got tired and re downloaded ash and did put it in a new folder and now everything is working now... Finally. One last question is how do you add text onto a costume?

Steelia

Smash Champion
ok Thanks for the advice I will try it. The texutres are not +2 or +1. There normal textures. And I did not get an ash readme of any sort :ohwell: Well I am gonna try this right now and report back.

Edit1: Now the step 1_extract file is saying..."Error I can't delete character textures folder"
Edit2: After numerous attempts.. I got tired and re downloaded ash and did put it in a new folder and now everything is working now... Finally. One last question is how do you add text onto a costume?
Good to hear you got it up and running. :)

As for the last bit... erm... text, you say? Well... if you're using Photoshop, I have no clue. I know that if you select the entire texture and paste it into MS Paint and tinker with it on THAT program, you can apply text with relative ease. Then you simply copy the texture from Paint (once you're done messing with it) and paste it back onto the original texture.

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
Good to hear you got it up and running. :)

As for the last bit... erm... text, you say? Well... if you're using Photoshop, I have no clue. I know that if you select the entire texture and paste it into MS Paint and tinker with it on THAT program, you can apply text with relative ease. Then you simply copy the texture from Paint (once you're done messing with it) and paste it back onto the original texture.
Ok thanks a lot man. You've been a lot of help. Im gonna try that MS paint thing then come back. And one last thing is that where can I find UNEDITED original colored costumes of all characters? (and I mean the .pac files). I've been googling day and night and still no go. I know I can always rip them from my brawl iso but I don't have enough space on my comp right now to get the iso on here.

(if this is illegal then forget about this)

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ok thanks a lot man. You've been a lot of help. Im gonna try that MS paint thing then come back. And one last thing is that where can I find UNEDITED original colored costumes of all characters? (and I mean the .pac files). I've been googling day and night and still no go. I know I can always rip them from my brawl iso but I don't have enough space on my comp right now to get the iso on here.

(if this is illegal then forget about this)
I'm not sure if giving out the PAC files is any good... However, the textures for all the characters (save Mr. Game & Watch, as he has none) are available on the first post of this topic.
...Right here, actually: http://rapidshare.com/files/152563979/textures.rar.html

Missing a few textures here and there (Peach in particular), but should be just as helpful. :)

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if giving out the PAC files is any good... However, the textures for all the characters (save Mr. Game & Watch, as he has none) are available on the first post of this topic.
...Right here, actually: http://rapidshare.com/files/152563979/textures.rar.html

Missing a few textures here and there (Peach in particular), but should be just as helpful. :)
Thanks. But I already have the textures. I need the pac files so then I can actually rip the textures out then replace them with my own custom textures..Thats the only way I know how to do it. Because when I go on create. it says "you are not modifying a texture" so yea.. this is the only way I know how to do it. Make my own custom textures with the textures I currently have then use the step one to extract the textures out of the pac files then replace the textures I have made.(If there is another way without having the pac files can you tell me please?)

Thanks a lot again. Good help :laugh:
Edit: Finally I found the files cause my friend did backup his iso...=D! Ok one last question (sorry to bother you) but how do I exactly make the character portraits...I've been following some video on youtube.. But still doesn't explain very well...I toke a pic of my falco and now I wanna make that pic for his character portrait. Here is the pic..
Edit:I got it to work.. But its only appearing at the results screen...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That zip file is also missing the textures for Wario's default overalls. Only the textures for his WarioWare outfit can be found in there.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Thanks. But I already have the textures. I need the pac files so then I can actually rip the textures out then replace them with my own custom textures..Thats the only way I know how to do it. Because when I go on create. it says "you are not modifying a texture" so yea.. this is the only way I know how to do it. Make my own custom textures with the textures I currently have then use the step one to extract the textures out of the pac files then replace the textures I have made.(If there is another way without having the pac files can you tell me please?)

Thanks a lot again. Good help :laugh:
Edit: Finally I found the files cause my friend did backup his iso...=D! Ok one last question (sorry to bother you) but how do I exactly make the character portraits...I've been following some video on youtube.. But still doesn't explain very well...I toke a pic of my falco and now I wanna make that pic for his character portrait. Here is the pic..
Edit:I got it to work.. But its only appearing at the results screen...
Battle portarites and battle results are in seperate files. Did you insert the Common5? I always forget that with the sd load. :laugh:

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
Battle portarites and battle results are in seperate files. Did you insert the Common5? I always forget that with the sd load. :laugh:

For some odd reason I couldn't reply yesterday, anyway. Yes I did put that inside of my sd card. I did even rename it to common5 thats what the tutorial said. But it is still only showing in the results screen.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Well my Battle portoraites don't show. Has any herd of what someone named"someone who died" from gscentral did? And i quote
Dr mario's hat
Shadow's shoe
Galactic knight's spear handle

I can only do smaller models

pics come this weekend (or spring break)
Don't have access to my computer, tools, or my wii (currently trying to get my grades up b4 thursday cuz they sux since I work so much on brawl hax

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ What about "someone who died", luigiman1928? Almost sounds like model editing. I have a hunch on who "someone who died" COULD be... but I'll hold my tongue till things arise.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I don't know why, but whenever Yoshi's egg is extracted, it shows up as a totally blank tga. It's nice I can edit it, but I really wanted to see where the spots are to learn how they are mirrored. Here are some examples of egg reskins:

Teaser for my next camo XD.

Steelia

Smash Champion
What a minute! How did you do that, Eternal Yoshi? I thought Yoshi's egg couldn't be hexed like that due to its original palette being only 1 color?

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I just wanted to announce that I released ASH v2.3:
http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_dale-color-a-tu-smash-bros_1157762

Now it uses the new compression method I discovered for CUPASH (the old Pharrox's guide method was outdated, after some tests I discovered that the last hex editor part was useless and time consuming and that ntcompress could create a perfect PCS file). It's a lot faster creating the PAC and PCS now. People with slow computers will be grateful for that! And also everyone should notice the speed increase. Just compile the same PAC with 2.2 and 2.3 and compare :)
It also fixes a bug that could delete _new.pac and _new.pcs when trying to extract _new.pac with step 1. Now you can extract _new.pac to check if it's a valid file and it won't delete it.

Killgonic

Smash Rookie
Can someone help me?

I am having a problem with TexConv. I am making a stage texture hack for Corneria and when i open up TexConv through the command prompt to convert my tga to a tpl file i get this:

error:
TCVerifyLists: unable to open file C:\USERS\CALEB\DESKTOP\CORNERIA\117GRDCORNERIASKY3 for read

total alloc: 744
total freed: 744

I am not trying to open a the tga file directly with TexConv. i have it open the tcs file i made using TCSMake.

I have made my own textures with the ash program but it doesn't work with stage textures.

this problem has been bugging me for like a month

what am I doing wrong????

mastaklo

Smash Cadet
hey i am new here and i want to know how to make pits wings transparent because it isnt a +1 or 2 texture and you cant use the magenta methode on it

Jeps

Smash Cadet
What is the difference between .pcs & .pac?
And also can someone send me all of the Assist Trophy .pacs?

meleemaster500

Smash Lord
is there any tutorials on making things transparent in gimp, cause no matter how i try to do stuff, i keep screwing it up... if there is anything specific, that would help... otherwise probably not

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
This is for photoshop, but it should help in gimp.

When you index it you don't have to touch transparent. Leave it unchecked.

What you have to do is go to channels and click the alpha layer. Black = transparent. Select all the black zones in the alpha channel and go back to the RGB channel and paint it magenta (255 0 255). Hope that helps.

ratmage99

Smash Cadet
Can someone help me?

I am having a problem with TexConv. I am making a stage texture hack for Corneria and when i open up TexConv through the command prompt to convert my tga to a tpl file i get this:

error:
TCVerifyLists: unable to open file C:\USERS\CALEB\DESKTOP\CORNERIA\117GRDCORNERIASKY3 for read

total alloc: 744
total freed: 744

I am not trying to open a the tga file directly with TexConv. i have it open the tcs file i made using TCSMake.

I have made my own textures with the ash program but it doesn't work with stage textures.

this problem has been bugging me for like a month

what am I doing wrong????
How did you even extract the files?! I have been searching forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom