• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Reskins: Custom Alt Colors (No burning needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well I'll try to get most of what's been posted done eventually. But after this I'm not going to be able to do everything that is posted. I've got five people working on textures and for now, I'm the only one able to insert them, which can take anywhere from one to five hours. I don't have that kind of time right now.

If there is something posted that I think is really cool or had a lot of extra time put into it, I'll still insert the texture. I'm also working on a few other things. I don't know how practical it is, but I'm trying to find how Brawl knows how many colors each character has and maybe allow for actual new colors instead of just swaps (there's plenty of room on the disk for it).

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
Well I'll try to get most of what's been posted done eventually. But after this I'm not going to be able to do everything that is posted. I've got five people working on textures and for now, I'm the only one able to insert them, which can take anywhere from one to five hours. I don't have that kind of time right now.

If there is something posted that I think is really cool or had a lot of extra time put into it, I'll still insert the texture. I'm also working on a few other things. I don't know how practical it is, but I'm trying to find how Brawl knows how many colors each character has and maybe allow for actual new colors instead of just swaps (there's plenty of room on the disk for it).
That seems to be great news. Well wait for your discoveries. How much was it again to get the mod chip plus the little thing attached so you can attach it easier? If I get the money I can add them too.

gehaga

Smash Cadet
If You make naked Zamus, the problem is her boots, so she would have to be naked excepted for a pair pf platform go-go boots. I call her Striper Suit Samus.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
So, I've been working on changing the audio in ssbm and I've come across two sound formats .hps which I'm able to play with a Winamp plug-in and .ssm which i can't play yet. If I wanted to actually edit the sound I have several more problems; I need to be able to create .hps or .ssm files to input into the game, and I need to know how to edit the iso, so far all I can do is extract files, I guess I could in theory, extract all the files replace some of the files I want to replace, and make a new iso, but is there any other way of doing this?

I need help please! Thanks in advance!

espio87

Smash Ace
So, I've been working on changing the audio in ssbm and I've come across two sound formats .hps which I'm able to play with a Winamp plug-in and .ssm which i can't play yet. If I wanted to actually edit the sound I have several more problems; I need to be able to create .hps or .ssm files to input into the game, and I need to know how to edit the iso, so far all I can do is extract files, I guess I could in theory, extract all the files replace some of the files I want to replace, and make a new iso, but is there any other way of doing this?

I need help please! Thanks in advance!
Here's a suggestion for you: Take out Forest/Nature Area and replace it for this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHczaI8t7-4
Look how well it works
I don't know anything about how to do it, but I wish you good luck
EDIT:oops, I thought you were talking about Brawl, sorry.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If You make naked Zamus, the problem is her boots, so she would have to be naked excepted for a pair pf platform go-go boots. I call her Striper Suit Samus.
I would have thought Zero-Suit Samus would be more appropriate.

Anyway, I made a greyscale sonic, with a few coloured parts, mainly eyes, shoes, ect, as a replacement for the black costume (though files are named as original sonic)

http://rapidshare.com/files/130881845/FitSonic00.rar.html

If you think it's worth adding, stick it to the back of the lsit. Was a pain to get the shoes and belt to stay coloured, but the rest was pretty easy.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm trying to figure something out but I'm having a little trouble. I figured I'd post it here just so I could get suggestions if anyone had any ideas.

My current project is trying to determine how the game identifies the number of colors for each character.

Let me explain. A Wii game's entire file structure is contained in a file called fst.bin. This file lists things such as each file's/folder's name and location on the disk (offset). For those of you who don't know, each character's folder on the disk has the following files, in this order (Pika is the example):

FitPikachu.pac
FitPikachu00.pac
FitPikachu00.pcs
FitPikachu01.pac
FitPikachu01.pcs
FitPikachu02.pac
FitPikachu02.pcs
FitPikachu03.pac
FitPikachu03.pcs

The first file, without numbers at the end contains things like the effects of attacks (% and effect (EX: Pikachu's dsmash sucks you in)). Files ending in numbers then .pac are never used. Files ending in numbers then .pcs are the files the game uses for the character data. The .pac files contain the same information as the .pcs files, but are not compressed.

For my first test I editted the fst.bin so that FitPikachu03.pac was named FitPikachu03.pcs. I then changed the name of the original FitPikachu03.pcs to FitPikachu04.pcs. I inserted my original texture hack into the new 03, so the files were as follows:

00: original
01: truckerchu
02: ninjachu
03: texture hack
04: gogglechu

I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to load the 4th costume (03). Would it load the correct texture (blue goggles) which was at the right offset or would it load the hack which had the right name. It loaded the hacked texture.

This led me to believe that the game uses the file names for identifying a characters different costumes. I did a search of every file in the iso to see if even the smallest part of the filename was found (I search for '01_en' which relates to one of Captain Falcon's files). In the end I came up with nothing. The only file containing what I searched for was the costume itself.

This got me thinking it might be something other than file names. I once again edited the fst.bin. This time I changed FitPikachu03.pcs to FitPikachu04.pcs. This way there was no FitPikachu03.pcs on the disk. I tried it again, trying to load the 4th texture. This time when I tried to load the game would just stop after I selected a map. It would not freeze, since I could still turn off the console normally and use the home button to reset the game, it just wouldn't load anything beyond the stage select screen (the file it was trying to load didn't exist).

This once again led me back to file names, and I can't think of what else it could be. Still, I've searched the entire .iso multiple times and I still can't find any file that makes any reference to the actual character files. I don't really think posting this is going to do much good, but I also figure it couldn't hurt.

Remember, I've never taken any computer courses and everything I know about this is just what I could piece together from a few random articles on Google. Really, my I have little to no experience in any of these areas, so anyone who has taken a class would know more about this stuff than me.

On a side note, I've been able to obtain a program which I believe may be able to decompile Brawl's main executable (and other files). Problem is, there is a license check for the plugin I need to do it, so it's not letting me load anything.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
WE WANT GREEN FUR SONIC!!!! =P

I hope someone will go and improve the colours(like Falco's black colour) remove the brown. and also fix up Lucario's custumes, all his good ones are the Light Blue and Silver

WIGI

Smash Champion
hmmm, ok, plz don't flame me if im a complete nub, but maybey the characters costumes are all variables hidden in the one texturepack, and in order to activate a diferent texture(like pika's goggles for example) somthing has to happen that lets the wii know witch one it wants, but its nto somthing that is a diferent file name, its somthing that triggers a specific file or number withing the texture packadge...i unnoo..i have a very limeted programing mind so i doub' this will help much..i have a hacker friend, maybey hel have a few ideas.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, ok, plz don't flame me if im a complete nub, but maybey the characters costumes are all variables hidden in the one texturepack, and in order to activate a diferent texture(like pika's goggles for example) somthing has to happen that lets the wii know witch one it wants, but its nto somthing that is a diferent file name, its somthing that triggers a specific file or number withing the texture packadge...i unnoo..i have a very limeted programing mind so i doub' this will help much..i have a hacker friend, maybey hel have a few ideas.
But the problem is whatever would trigger it to load a texture file would have to have some way to know what the file is. It couldn't be the file's location on the disk or fst.bin. It couldn't just count up a certain number of .pcs files or it would have worked when I changed 03 to 04. It couldn't be automatically be done numerically because of a few special cases. For example Lucario skips 02 and skips right from 01 to 03. One of Falcon's costumes uses 01_en.pcs.

The game has to know about these variations somewhere, I just can't find it. Right now I'm thinking that whatever file has this data is either encrypted or compressed, making it not show up in my search. I am also kind of curious about .rel files. I don't know what they do, but if a character's .rel file is modified the game will crash when selecting that character. I also slightly remember something that mentioned .rel files and file structure intgrity. But I really don't know.

Thanks for posting your ideas. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
Rel files, (at least on the gamecube) are equivalent to DLL files on the pc.

The reason why you're having problems with the naming convention is because the information you seek would not make sense to be stored in some file somewhere, but rather in the dol itself (the main exe). It is responsible for indexing the files (either through a string name, or address on disc), thus being "hard coded", meaning to mod this will be a lot more difficult unless you're aware of ppc disassembly ;)

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Rel files, (at least on the gamecube) are equivalent to DLL files on the pc.

The reason why you're having problems with the naming convention is because the information you seek would not make sense to be stored in some file somewhere, but rather in the dol itself (the main exe). It is responsible for indexing the files (either through a string name, or address on disc), thus being "hard coded", meaning to mod this will be a lot more difficult unless you're aware of ppc disassembly ;)
Hm. So how would it be stored in the main.dol. I don't doubt you (it was the first file I looked at), but after I found the path to the FitCharacter.pac files (and rel files) listed in the main.dol I began to think it might have something to do with those. Also, thanks for clearing up the thing with the .rel files. :)

As for disassembly, I have a program that (I'm pretty sure) could do it, but I can't run it because it's missing its license file. :ohwell:

Thanks a lot for clearing that up.

Menneb

Smash Rookie
I'm not all to familiar with modeling outside of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, so forgive me if what I'm saying makes no sense, but would it be possible to transfer boltons to other characters?

Also has there been any headway in music replacement?

First post ever by the way.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Music I don't think has been done, but it wouldn't be too hard. People have extracted the music, so it'd just be finding a way to reverse the process.

I by accident ruined my FitSonic00.pac ^^;. Could you upload them somewhere?
There's a link to a small pack with Sonic and a few others on the first post.

ghosteo

Smash Rookie
Dark Charizard

I followed your excellent guide, Pharrox, to produce these. I was always confused that Nintendo did not put Dark Charizard in the game, despite the fact that (s)he has been in many significant Pokemon games. Also it just looks awesome.

SarahHarp

Smash Apprentice
Well as I said, there will most likely be a string table that the dol uses to index the files. Each character is probly it's own c++ class, so inside it's loading subroutines, it'll have an index into this string table to find the colour outfit to load (I guess this would mean adding more outfits would require changing values in here also).

Alternatively, a class might reference a rel file instead, which would be doing the same thing as above, only in a smaller package.

Also I don't think commercial disasemblers will work with dols. A powerpc one would be a better bet, but it still doesn't know about the custom instructions the gamecube/wii uses. You'll have to find some documentation somewhere on this and either add support for them yourself or download a plugin or something. If you got this far, you'd still be pretty much looking for a needle in a haystack unless you had a .map file to go off of (but a lot of games take this file out as it greatly helps reverse engineers).

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I followed your excellent guide, Pharrox, to produce these. I was always confused that Nintendo did not put Dark Charizard in the game, despite the fact that (s)he has been in many significant Pokemon games. Also it just looks awesome.
[snip]
YES! Finally someone else was able to do the whole thing! I love the Charizard by the way, it really doesn't make sense why they didn't include some shinies. If you don't mind, I'd like to update the first post to show these (I'll give you credit of course).

Well as I said, there will most likely be a string table that the dol uses to index the files. Each character is probly it's own c++ class, so inside it's loading subroutines, it'll have an index into this string table to find the colour outfit to load (I guess this would mean adding more outfits would require changing values in here also).

Alternatively, a class might reference a rel file instead, which would be doing the same thing as above, only in a smaller package.

Also I don't think commercial disasemblers will work with dols. A powerpc one would be a better bet, but it still doesn't know about the custom instructions the gamecube/wii uses. You'll have to find some documentation somewhere on this and either add support for them yourself or download a plugin or something. If you got this far, you'd still be pretty much looking for a needle in a haystack unless you had a .map file to go off of (but a lot of games take this file out as it greatly helps reverse engineers).
I have the official Gamecube disassembler, which due to the Wii being so similar, I believe could disassemble it. The problem is that the PowerPC plugin (for loading the executable files) requires a string in the license file. I can run some of the functions, but actual disassembly won't run without that plugin.

I really doubt I'll be able to figure it out, but it's still something that's fun to mess around with in my spare time.

ghosteo

Smash Rookie
YES! Finally someone else was able to do the whole thing! I love the Charizard by the way, it really doesn't make sense why they didn't include some shinies. If you don't mind, I'd like to update the first post to show these (I'll give you credit of course).
By all means! I'm working on a nother as we speak. I'm trying to make a Mysterious Mr.L costume for Luigi from the New Paper Mario. We'll see how that goes...

Great Charizard recolor, ghostneo! :grin:
Thanks much!

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
First post updated ;)

I by accident ruined my FitSonic00.pac ^^;. Could you upload them somewhere?
How did you ruin the file? Couldn't you just reextract the original from the disk? The .pac files really aren't important, since they are never used in the game. Just use another of Sonic's .pac files as a base.

[snip]

Rencario, or Lucarimon? Your answers on a postcard ....
This may just be the furry in me talking :ohwell:, but if you were to make that texture I would definitely insert it. :)

Menneb

Smash Rookie
I'm not all to familiar with modeling outside of Marvel Ultimate Alliance, so forgive me if what I'm saying makes no sense, but would it be possible to transfer boltons to other characters?

Also has there been any headway in music replacement?

First post ever by the way.
Please answer? I know it's my first post but I'm not an idiot or anything.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Well, the music is being worked on, and as Mic said, shouldn't be too hard.

As for the first thing, that will probably be up to SarahHarp to answer, since I have no isea what you're talking about.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I did make that texture ... or more accurately, modified the original.
Eh, sorry. I was think it was just the character art. Still, if you want me to put it into the game, I would be glad to do it.

Also where was the model dumper/dumped files posted? I've seen several people mention them but I never knew where they were.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
OK.I want to do this.But,I have a problem...how can I extract the files from the ISO?

Say,I bought an Brawl backup (since my internet is too slow and I can rip my original Brawl) but it's the single layered version.The Wii can't start it,unless I use Gecko OS,so that may be cause to the ISO being messed up.

But,my problem is that after I rip the backup so I have the ISO on my PC,Trucha Signer gives me an error...it can't open the ISO.

Does that mean that the single layered version of Brawl is messed up? Do I need the DL version?

I hope I can get it to work with the single layered version,I don't feel like download almost 9gb,I have problem to download even just one 1gb.

EDIT: Seems like RegionFrii and KeySearcher can't read the ISO either.Either the ISO I have is messed up,the single layered version is messed up (kinda doubtful,actually) or my re-rip of the backup is messed up...

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
How did you ruin the file? Couldn't you just reextract the original from the disk? The .pac files really aren't important, since they are never used in the game. Just use another of Sonic's .pac files as a base.
I overwrote the 00.pac file so it's no longer there and the others are different models(The wrist thingamabob)

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
Try using WiiScrubber 1.21 instead of Trucha. If it's a single layer copy you'll probably get 20 or so windows popping up saying I/O error, just keep clicking OK and it will eventually open fine.

I take it you have the latest firmware (3.3 with IOS37). If you want to be able to load Trucha signed games without the Gecko OS you could install Waninkoko's custom Wii firmware. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know the risks, but I know it allows Trucha disks.

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
I don't have the lastes firmware.Still 3.2

And it doesn't open like that.It just gives an error when loading the ISO.It just can't load,neither can other software.

I also read this on an Trucha tutorial in GBATemp:
"If your ISO does not open, make sure you have a CLEAN (not scrubbed) ISO."

I am gonna try WiiScrubber 1.21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom