• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+: When would you "convert"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green'n'Clean

Smash Cadet
Brawl+, the competitive mod of brawl, seems to be coming along nicely. In the beginning it only had wavedashing. Now it has WD L-canceling, S-canceling, automatic L-canceling, no automatic sweetspot ledges (melee edgeguarding :) ), shieldstun and hitstun (this actually prevents some of the chaingrabs in brawl, like D3s. And ofc yields combos :) ).

My question is simple:

What would it take for you to begin to play Brawl+?

I would personally play Brawl+ if it had some kind of shield-drop-lag, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

This vid isn't great, but it can get you to realize that the mod has some potential.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiDsnbVFVM

I.B

Smash Lord
I love Melee too much to switch.

Besides, wouldn't all these additions help Metaknight?

Eggm

Smash Hero
Probably never. They are wayyyy too many things they would need to do. And even then its not going to have melees magic.

Geist

Smash Master
I heard from a lot of people that Brawl+ feels really sloppy >_> Have they included a way to get rid of that horrible float problem?
I haven't tried it. It would require me to get a Wii, or get a friend who has one. Both seem unlikely.

I think the most realistic time I might consider switching is when someone goes: "why don't we just take melee and put more characters in it?", or the Game Nazis destroy every copy of melee, and Brawl's sequel turns out even worse. I'd still probably go to Smash 64.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
We can play both games.

The current direction of Brawl+ may not have MAD (Melee AirDodge), the game is still very floaty, and their is still no code for carrying running momentum into the air. This may still turn off Melee fans from TRYING it.

I see this thread getting replies trashing Brawl+ in the future :(

Mith_

Smash Champion
I heard from a lot of people that Brawl+ feels really sloppy >_> Have they included a way to get rid of that horrible float problem?
I haven't tried it. It would require me to get a Wii, or get a friend who has one. Both seem unlikely.

I think the most realistic time I might consider switching is when someone goes: "why don't we just take melee and put more characters in it?", or the Game Nazis destroy every copy of melee, and Brawl's sequel turns out even worse. I'd still probably go to Smash 64.
Upping the gravity takes care of that problem, but causes more problems than it solves, so yea.

@I.B: It sorta helps MK, but it makes more characters viable. Falcon's true potential shows in Brawl+ turns into his Melee counterpart, and who wouldn't want that? xD jp.

Alphabravo

Smash Ace
I play Brawl+ and it's definitely more enjoyable than regular Brawl, though it's still no where near as fun as Melee. I seriously doubt Brawl+ will replace Melee as my most played smash game.

The downward gravity code helps solve the floatiness but it nerfs vertical kos too much. Also, vertical and horizontal momentum codes are in works.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Part of the reason I love melee so much more than brawl is maneuverability, brawl+ seems to still be lacking in this quality

tha_carter

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLkxkKfxSs

this is a more accurate portrayal of what brawl + offers.

And no, most additions dont help MK. He has lost of trouble doing combos because he has one of the worst horizontal aerial speeds in the game. And most characters have combos into powerful finishers, to take advantage of his lightness.

Not to mention Brawl + is built from the community; if you see a problem or have a suggestion... It can be added/subtracted to/from the game.

Binx

Smash Master
The only problems I have with Brawl + aside from the fact it isn't melee is that it won't be the competitive norm because most people aren't going to hack their Wii's

I think we just need an SSB4 and seeing how well brawl did I would imagine they would make another soon, unfortunately we can't really count on it being much different from brawl because thats the kind of game casual players are looking for right now. Oh well.

Mith_

Smash Champion
The only problems I have with Brawl + aside from the fact it isn't melee is that it won't be the competitive norm because most people aren't going to hack their Wii's

I think we just need an SSB4 and seeing how well brawl did I would imagine they would make another soon, unfortunately we can't really count on it being much different from brawl because thats the kind of game casual players are looking for right now. Oh well.
SSB4 for 360?

Wangster

Smash Apprentice
brawl+. looks lyk sum ppl got nostalgic about it and decided to hack it as same as melee. here's a tip on how to get all of those AT without doing anything...PLAY MELEE

XACE-K

Smash Master
I'll play both Melee and Brawl+. I have fun playing both of them. Both once you take away the +, it's only Melee for me.

Amide

Smash Lord
The combo's in Brawl plus seem silly and repetitive, I still don't see the tech skill required from Melee, wavedashing isn't as useful, the game is still not as balanced as Melee, and it's just plain slow.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I would never switch to Brawl+ as the standard game mode. If you're gonna played that warped version, you might as well just play Melee.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol no. I'll definitely try it though, but why go through all that fuss when I could just play melee. =/

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Never, Melee is too fun of a game. And it most definitly won't be replicated in Brawl+ to the point where I'd play it. If I did play, I'd be like, "Hey this kinda reminds me of Melee, kinda. I think I'm going to play that now."

Fletch

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure I would never switch. The system the game is designed on is just too faulty and clunky, it will never be as smooth or as perfect as the Melee system. Little things like auto-sweetspot and such are finally being fixed, but then there's still things like air momentum that can't be implemented and the removal of the awful buffer system. I'll stick to Melee and SSB64.

LSDX

Wah!
The only reason one would want to hack Brawl to make it into a more competitive game would be only to try to better it to a standard as high as Melee. I may sound cliche' when I say this like many others, but why bother with hacks and what not in a game which feels sloppy in the first place when one could easily just play Melee.

The problem that irks me the most is that all people say is, "More characters, more stages, more bullsh*t" etc. Though some of the "enhancements" added to Brawl + may increase the meta-game for 'some' characters, it still is not enough to validate itself to balance out the game completely. If one would really want to balance out Brawl+ to a great extent, adjustments would need to be made to individual characters who need more/less of a certain tech.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wouldn't convert, I might play both though. Brawl + seems ok and after they're done I think it'll be a fun game. Nothing's gonna replace Melee though.

Stev

Smash Ace
The only way i'd convert to anything that wasn't melee was if a 3rd party decided to create an exact duplicate of melee, only they added more characters and fixed the problems with the current ones.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
See, the thing that gets me about brawl+ isnt so much they took out the dumb stuff of brawl, but the fact that there's so much that can be changed, it's like a new game every week. Like I've played brawl+ 4 times (not on my own console), and every time i've played it, it was a completely different game.

As for "converting" i dont see why the smash community as a whole is still hungup on the concept of "you have to play one game and only one game."

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Umm...I definitely play both. I actually love the current version of brawl+ (however, I haven't played it with shieldstun or running momentum yet, and I'd really like to try that).

I know it might be cliche (how do you get the e with the accent above it?), but I really like it because of the characters. It just happens that Sonic is amazing in brawl+ (like, top tier character possibly countering metaknight kind of amazing), and the new mechanics kind of nerf the existing top tier.

I mean...I'd never straight up abandon melee, but I wouldn't mind practicing both (unlike normal brawl, which I find barely playable).

This thread fails because it's trying to compare brawl+ to melee and trying to get melee players to "convert." What it should be doing is comparing brawl+ to brawl...and trying to get people in both the melee crowd and the brawl crowd to try out brawl+ in addition to their game of choice.

Zjiin

Smash Master
As for "converting" i dont see why the smash community as a whole is still hungup on the concept of "you have to play one game and only one game."[/FONT]
Well, you have to understand that people who say that you should play both, should be playing unhacked versions of melee and brawl, or else they're really not playing two different games. They're just trying to make one into another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom