• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Brawl Will not be a Part of 2011 MLG Pro Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
yay. now we dont have to have practice tournaments with awful rulesets anymore LOL

not that i live in the US anyway

kind of a shame though i wanted to attend one :[

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
M2K i wouldn't worry too much. You're not at fault here, MLG is pretty pathetic for trying to pin you as a reason for kicking brawl to the curb. Truth is the game wasn't going to last another season whether there was a split or not. Its the fact there is not sponsering or money to made in Brawl. It's not like we're the top of the fighting game community. Every other game community laughs at us and we don't care.

I mean, you were there for all of Melee, you're the figure head of the community- you're a goddamn legend man.

Being cut from MLG isn't a big deal when this game is more focused on its own community effort to keep the game alive then some ****ty contract from a organization that is looked down upon by almost every foreign gaming organization. Halo is the only real thing they even have going for them (SC2 MLG was a total joke) and the only people who take Halo seriously are 14 year olds on Xbox Live or oldschool players from Halo CE and 2 when the game was actually popular.

Don't worry Jason. You lived your dream and still are, you're forever going to be looked up to and Its sad that MLG has to coward behind bull**** reasons such as this one instead of saying flat out "Brawl isn't where money is, sorry guys we're gonna have to cut you."

MLG is a joke, and I hope they know that.
From M2K's apology thread. Probably the best analysis of both the situation and MLG itself.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I'm a little disappointed, but Nintendo failing to sponsor us really did kill it. I would easily blame Nintendo long before I blame MLG for this. **** Sakurai and his anti-competitive mindset. It's so easy to make smash for casuals AND competitive players.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I don't think enough people realize that the MLG m2k drama was because of MLG and how they handled it.

They treated the situation like a gossip rag whistleblowing teenager
lmao, this is actually very true. MLG created their own drama and then bashed us with it afterwards.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think enough people realize that the MLG m2k drama was because of MLG and how they handled it.

They treated the situation like a gossip rag whistleblowing teenager
this, the "bad press" over the incident was mostly a self inflicted wound

that being said they were obviously looking for reasons to drop brawl anyway because of attendance and no cooperation from nintendo, it couldn't have made sense financially to keep it on when we never capped and there was no stream revenue. so ADHD and M2K are a convenient scapegoat

Teh Future

Smash Master
i think its funny that mlg keeps bringing up brawl splitting when its debatable whether or not there really was "bracket manipulation" or not plus its happened before with their sex toy halo and they keep it all hush hush LOL. only thing mlg has done that gripes me. still it was a fun season and im glad i got to go to one event.

also lmao at Coney's post. so true

Albert.

Smash Master
some of the m2k-trolling stuff just helps to reinforce the sad truth that the average internet dweller has the maturity level of a middle-schooler

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Being cut from MLG isn't a big deal when this game is more focused on its own community effort to keep the game alive then some ****ty contract from a organization that is looked down upon by almost every foreign gaming organization. Halo is the only real thing they even have going for them (SC2 MLG was a total joke) and the only people who take Halo seriously are 14 year olds on Xbox Live or oldschool players from Halo CE and 2 when the game was actually popular.
This is outrageous. Seriously, you could not be more wrong. What other organization are you even talking about? EGL? They folded. WSVG? They folded. TheCPL? They folded, came back, then turned out they were just trying to scam people. CGS? They folded. The only other organization out there really is WCG, which if you listen to the podcast you will find has a professional working relationship with MLG. Here is what MLG has going for them
-$700,000 in prizes
-Major sponsors unlike any other US gaming organization has ever had: Dr. Pepper, Old Spice, Sony, Microsoft, Time Warner Cable, Matador, Hot Pockets, and so many more I can't even name them all.
-Has produced major cable shows getting the word out on professional gaming, including a 7 episode series on USA, a 6 episode series on G4, multiple random appearances from CNN, to Forbes magazine, to ESPN, to MTV's True Life, etc etc.
-Delivers the best tournament experience you can find. The MLG tournaments this past year according to attendees were routinely among the best or even the best tournaments people had been to in their entire lives.

I could keep going on like this, but seriously the attitude displayed in this quote and others like it are just icing on the cake of why Brawl isn't in MLG anymore. Also, Sundance didn't place the blame on just a single thing, he mentioned multiple issues with the game so people exaggerating anyone of those issues as the single reason the game will not be on the circuit next year are simply trying to create drama.

The fact that no one even wants to defend the experience they had with MLG or the fact the company is professional (and delivers on its promises) and doing leaps and bounds for competitive gaming just helps to show how right the decision to drop Brawl probably was. Really, I can't even defend much of the stuff that gets said in these threads. It is beyond me how childish so many of you act and what a complete joke you make of this community.

Teh Future

Smash Master
AZ why are you even getting angry? Seriously MLG put brawl on blast in that podcast so why can't the brawl community do the same to them? cry less not like it affects them at all anyways

etecoon

Smash Hero
AZ why are you even getting angry? Seriously MLG put brawl on blast in that podcast so why can't the brawl community do the same to them? cry less not like it affects them at all anyways
it's pretty obvious why he would say those things...

coney is running this thread even though he's only posted twice

Albert.

Smash Master
Mr. Zealot if the deed is done then why are you still posting?

Has your relevance declined severely now that MLG is done?

Why are you still trying to sell people on MLG LOL people have their own opinions, most of them positive.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
The loss of brawl on mlg is sad news :( and a big blow to the brawl scene. We can't just pin it on m2k and adhd though, its how the community handled the situation, we needed to show that we do not tolerate the practice and our community can take charge of the situation, but instead we in large part put pressure on mlg for the decision, and criticized them for being unfair, and tried to justify the practice and the players because of "tournament pressure," etc... (which looked bad given no other scenes were having the same issues). It not only made it difficult for mlg to sympathize with us and support the scene without losing face (legally too) but it showed that our community structure didn't have the capacity to prevent the practice in the future. Its the community response that really made it hard for mlg to carry us.
This. This, this, this, this, this, this, this.

If you people had grown up, and actually realized that "Hey, you know, seeing as MLG is a company, they have the right to do this and we should respect their decision.", we would of had a much better chance of having Brawl back in the circuit next year, even with the so-so attendance. Instead, most of you threw a hissy fit over something MLG more or less had to do with the knowledge they had on hand.

If you wanted Brawl in the MLG circuit, and complained about the M2K/ADHD decision: congrats. You shot yourself in the foot. Repeatedly. With a bazooka. Companies will not put up with communities who largely cry out against their decision.

It's not a scapegoat. It's common sense from a company's point of view. "We have these two guys possibly splitting money, which can in fact influence a bracket by changing their mindset as they play, and possibly alter which of these two guys fight against the next guy. All of our current proof suggests that they are in fact doing such. We have only their word that they aren't doing as such. That doesn't counterbalance what we have. Ban them. The community is going to support us on this after all. Every other fighting scene hates people who split money unless the tournament was forced to stop part way through after all.

Oh wait, the community is supporting those two, even though they change their story part way through the topic when one of the mess up and didn't realize the other guy was trying to completely defend him? The support killing hype by splitting money? I guess this community isn't good for an actual competitive mindset, which is what we're about."

^Throw all of that in on top of Nintendo not supporting MLG for having Brawl in the circuit, when other companies will support MLG for using their games. Did you all honestly think it would be back?

Albert.

Smash Master
If you people had grown up, and actually realized that "Hey, you know, seeing as MLG is a company, they have the right to do this and we should respect their decision.", we would of had a much better chance of having Brawl back in the circuit next year, even with the so-so attendance. Instead, most of you threw a hissy fit over something MLG more or less had to do with the knowledge they had on hand.

If you wanted Brawl in the MLG circuit, and complained about the M2K/ADHD decision: congrats. You shot yourself in the foot. Repeatedly. With a bazooka. Companies will not put up with communities who largely cry out against their decision.

It's not a scapegoat. It's common sense from a company's point of view. "We have these two guys possibly splitting money, which can in fact influence a bracket by changing their mindset as they play, and possibly alter which of these two guys fight against the next guy. All of our current proof suggests that they are in fact doing such. We have only their word that they aren't doing as such. That doesn't counterbalance what we have. Ban them. The community is going to support us on this after all. Every other fighting scene hates people who split money unless the tournament was forced to stop part way through after all.

Oh wait, the community is supporting those two, even though they change their story part way through the topic when one of the mess up and didn't realize the other guy was trying to completely defend him? The support killing hype by splitting money? I guess this community isn't good for an actual competitive mindset, which is what we're about."

^Throw all of that in on top of Nintendo not supporting MLG for having Brawl in the circuit, when other companies will support MLG for using their games. Did you all honestly think it would be back?

You're an idiot if you think posts on a video game forum actually determine the business decisions of a major company.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, this is disappointing news, but I can't say I'm surprised.

I came, I saw, I got the t-shirt, and I had the best tournament experience of my life. Met a ton of cool people, and really enjoyed it.

Just glad I went while the gettin' was good.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You're an idiot if you think posts on a video game forum actually determine the business decisions of a major company.
But it does.

The majority of those entering the Brawl circuit were from this site.

MLG owns these boards.

MLG has members in the BBR/Admin.

MLG worked with the BBR on their ruleset.

You're an idiot if you don't think they pay attention to their own investments, and respond accordingly. Particularly after, you know, they actively worked with part of the board for the tournaments.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
You're a bigger idiot if you believe that. Remember the insane amount of security at MLG Dallas? Guess where that came from...

Albert.

Smash Master
People complaining and trolling on this site are just that

They're people. That's it. Do you think the other games didn't have people on their sites trolling?

MLG has made the reasons for their decision intentionally vague. The bottom line seems to be money/drama though which is ON THEIR END.

They raised the cap for the game, remember?

If their business plan turned out to not turn enough of a profit, that is on them, because if they had kept the cap lower for the whole season than, (correct me if I'm wrong) we would have capped the whole time. If they had planned for lesser attendance, (which they did, by having a lower cap) and they couldn't make a profit, then how is that our fault?

The drama from m2k/adhd/splitting thing IS FROM THEM. They could have handled it MUCH better, and anybody with a shred of Public relations knowledge/experience could explain that.

EDIT:
NOW if the reasons for mlg being off the circuit have to do with fierce-competition from grass roots tournaments, then they should Just list that as the sole reason, because honestly that looks like the most "legitimate" or understandable reason.

But don't put any blame on people that MLG has already punished for their indiscretions

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Eh.

Well now I don't have to worry about following MLG anymore. Gonna be quite a snoozefest in 2011 unless they pick up something interesting. I don't really feel like watching the same people play the slowest Halo game ever like they have been for half a decade, Tekken players getting pumped up about more than 30 people showing up and CoD players *****ing about every little thing.

Starcraft 2 is good, though. They make that interesting, I'll give them that.

Unfortunately, I really don't think either side helped the situation. It's as if neither MLG nor the Smash community cared about whether or not the game was on the circuit. Neither side seemed to try and intentionally fix its own or external problems to keep the game going, despite the fact that the game on the series provided almost too much hype for those Halo kiddies to handle.

Either way, it was good while it lasted, though I never went. But now I really don't have a reason to go to MLG. Definitely lost a huge community that, personally, could have rectified itself if it meant saving Brawl. It's just that, to be honest, how much of a chance did we really have other than not siding with M2K and ADHD for obvious reasons?

And, on that note, even if they didn't do anything, all the complaining about it was really idiotic.

So yeah, count me out on caring about MLG next year. I'm sure it'll be sort of interesting when Gears 3 pops in during the 2012 season, then no one will care about that and it'll be dropped within a year, too.

Interestingly enough, now that I think about it, it has been two seasons in a row in which MLG has dropped a game that only had one season to show for itself on the circuit (Gears 2 and now Brawl). Just pointing that out.

Jem.

Smash Master
Thanks for giving Brawl a chance last season. I kind of figured it wouldnt work out, it's just how smash is meant to go I suppose.

Reach let's gooo =) see you guys at 2011 MLG for reach!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol Az honestly MLG people were ********. Too many dumb **** happened that wasn't our fault but they still blamed us, I'm glad we don't have to deal with *******es anymore LOL.
Wait, MLG just let you make more money in one year from Brawl than you could in five years without them, and somehow YOU had to deal with them, instead of the other way around?

As Bizkit just mentioned, MLG had to spend over an extra $7,000 on security at Dallas because of the actions of someone in this community. That is the length they went to protect not just the staff of MLG, but every single person in attendance (particularly Brawl players) because someone on Smashboards threatened to bring a gun to the venue. That is the length MLG will go to make sure an event goes off without a hitch.

MLG had to deal with Smashers stealing and breaking the Doritos display at the end of the event. I literally saw Boss pick up the giant plastic container full of Doritos and attempt to walk it hundreds of feet from the display area (I was the one to yell at him to put it back so don't even go there). MLG had to deal with two of the top players talking in the open about paying and receiving money, and one of these players happened to lie and change his story multiple times after the events came to light (and yet this person is getting defended as if it was all MLG's fault).

Why are you still trying to sell people on MLG LOL people have their own opinions, most of them positive.
In case you missed it, MLG will be running side-events during the 2011 Pro Circuit with serious money for prizes. I'd like to push for Brawl to be one of those events, but with attitudes like yours and others it makes that nearly impossible. Seriously so many people are to short sighted, they see this as the very end when we could improve over the next year and have a shot at 2012, or maybe just as a side event, or whatever. You have no idea what else can come from MLG, but acting spiteful because of this only helps ensure that the community gets no help from MLG in the future.

Apparently many people don't like to be grateful for anything, they just want to be selfish, or try to make jokes, or try to stick up for their friends even though what their friends did was wrong.

Albert.

Smash Master
Regarding sponsors

The way that MLG handled the split debacle... it was as if m2k and ADHD were HEINOUS VILLAINS WHO maliciously TRIED THEIR DANMEST to ruin the competitive atmosphere!!!

Ban them!

and let's let this stuff leak to every other site that covers gaming! No damage control or anything.

m2k and adhd are evil and deserve to be punished! They obviously reflect poorly upon every single brawl player!

Now, for the people missing this, This is sarcasm.

If potential sponsors were turned away by brawl drama then what f***ing ever.

as I have implied before, MLG handled that like a time bomb and then blew it up.

Albert.

Smash Master
In case you missed it, MLG will be running side-events during the 2011 Pro Circuit with serious money for prizes. I'd like to push for Brawl to be one of those events, but with attitudes like yours and others it makes that nearly impossible.
I have never said ANYTHING about MLG tournaments NOT being amazing. I think that they WERE amazing.

You can tell any MLG people that if they have a problem with my posts that they can personally email me to discuss them.

It just seems like MLG screwed up regarding some things, and now the community is being used like a punching bag.

EDIT:
okay that might be a little over-dramatic but whatever

People showed up and payed.

what more did you guys want?

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Also, on another note while Albert does whatever he is doing...

I propose Pokemon for the upcoming season. Give us something!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The way that MLG handled the split debacle... it was as if m2k and ADHD were HEINOUS VILLAINS WHO maliciously TRIED THEIR DANMEST to ruin the competitive atmosphere!!!
MLG never did any such thing. In fact, MLG had only one, single cut and dry press release regarding it when it happened. Since then the ONLY thing we have heard about it was in the vVv podcast from Sundance, over a month after the event occurred and almost two months since the initial press release. MLG handled the situation very simply: researched and collected evidence behind the scenes, reached a conclusion, informed the effected parties and the public more than 2 weeks before the event time. Since then MLG has not commented on the situation except for what Sundance mentioned in this podcast.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
The bright side is that now our communities don't have to compete with MLG events. It opens up the calendar for our big TO's to do what they want to do, and together. A key difference is that our community's TOs CAN work together. Whereas before our community had to arrange itself around MLG.

It is a bad thing being dropped. But grin and bear it and look to the positives. In any case MLG made a sound business decision. With no support from nintendo, I don't think they're wrong in their decision.

If American TOs can get their act together, the only thing MLG has over them is the sheer amount of money it can bring. There is absolutely no reason why the year should only revolve around a handful of tournament organisers and their events.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
lol Do I care how much they spend? it was their choice, their money, they spend it how they want it, and I've made much more than what I won from MLG in ATLEAST a year and half. (could have made more if I won though lol)

Don't start with the dorito incident, we didn't cause the big chip pick up party. Boss was gaven a warning, then that guy came in and convinced EVERYONE (Not just brawlers) PICK UP THE CHIPS. So **** off with that lame excuse you're all blind.

The gun incident was lame though I admit, but what do you expect from Smashboards? so many trolls and people who don't care about MLG I wasn't surprised. the M2K/ADHD thing is bull****, M2K wasnt going to win and he was guaranteed top 3.

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
Look, AZ knows what he's talking about, but that doesn't change the fact that MLG's handling of M2K's and ADHD's split was pathetic.

M2K has explained his reasoning several times, and while what he did certainly wasn't the best decision, it was at least not "bracket manipulation" as MLG says it was. The blame falls entirely on MLG for CONTINUALLY alleging that the split was the most terrible thing to happen to the community, and claiming (as Sundance did) that it creates an "unfair" and "corrupt" tournament environment. It entirely rests on MLG for not listening when M2K tried to rectify the situation, continuing to make the issue sound awful when it really wasn't, and pretending to use it as an argument against putting Brawl back on the circuit when it was entirely a sponsorship/attendance issue.

And I won't deny that being on the circuit wasn't superb for the community, or that the tournaments weren't all really well run. It's just that their handling of the split shows how poorly the organization can sometimes work internally.

One last thing, maybe I'm totally wrong, but: would running pools have at least partially helped with the capping issue?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
As if M2K/ADHD was even close to being an important reason on why Brawl was dropped.

I'd rather look at the lack of any form of Nintendo support.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
The only important advantage I saw mlg having over grassroots tournaments was the large pot. Everything else was give or take i.e. free food, but no streams and you couldnt save matches :|. In fact it actually sucked more for community members who couldnt attend the event but wanted to follow it.
the fact the company is professional (and delivers on its promises) and doing leaps and bounds for competitive gaming just helps to show how right the decision to drop Brawl probably was.
I doubt anyone wanted argue or say this at the time (would have made things worse), but the rule they used to disqualify m2k and adhd was incredibly shady. It honestly made no sense.
Apparently many people don't like to be grateful for anything, they just want to be selfish, or try to make jokes, or try to stick up for their friends even though what their friends did was wrong.
I dont think thats the case. Im pretty sure about everyone is grateful, but it seems like MLG is taking no responsibility for why it wasnt working out when they definitely had a hand in it. Its like watching a divorce with the husband constantly pointing fingers at the wife when they had an equal share in its failure; why should the wife just sit there and take it, lol.

Albert.

Smash Master
okay AZ so how would, what m2k did, count as bracket manipulation or whatever when there was only like <5 players left in the tournament?

how does it affect the eliminated players, AT ALL? I mean, they're eliminated.

Now if an MLG rep could potentially be mistaken about that, what else could they be mistaken about?

EDIT
I feel like I should put this out there again

, but the tournaments that we did have were amazing guys <3 Thanks for putting on that show.

come back in 2012 and the community will plan less big tournaments, so that your coffers can be back to full again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom