• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Alright. This is driving me mad. I made an image of exactly the correct dimensions in Paint.net with transparency, saved it as a 32-bit .tga, and then imported it into one of Ike's colors in the common5.pac file using BrawlBox. I used CI8 image format in the BrawlBox importer, 1 mip level, 240 colors, which seems to be the default. Unfortunately, when I went to try it in Brawl, the game froze when I went to hover over Ike's spot. I've tried it several times, re-saving the image and using a fresh common5.pac file, tried changing colors to 200, even 16 with the same results! What am I doing wrong here?!
Needs to be indexed.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Wait! I'm confused. I have something called Smashbox v.056, which is an application for the re-arrangements of CSS. Does Brawlbox do this? Since the name only changed.
what? how is that possible?! Um, SmashBox (which is now called BrawlBox when the 0.58 update came) never could re-arrange the CSS... Phantom Wings had made such a program though. So no, it does not do that.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
I just wrote up an explanation of editing Ike's sword slash effect, and I thought it would make a nice example intro for those wanting to learn how to use BrawlBox. So I posted it here.
is it possible to use black or at least dark purple sword swing effects? i tried that once, and it only resulted in ike's sword having a white block around it...

Eldiran

Smash Lord
is it possible to use black or at least dark purple sword swing effects? i tried that once, and it only resulted in ike's sword having a white block around it...
Sounds like you accidentally modified the parts of the image meant to be transparent... make sure the black stays exactly the same color when you edit the image.

AssaultFalcon

Smash Cadet
Man, This Brawlbox is really something, It's amazing what it can do with textures alone. But I have three questions that only the brawl masters can answer(which I consider most of you to be) then I'll Be able to sleep tonight.

1) Can replace polygons with polygons of other characters? I want to replace falcon's whole Head with Ike's to make a maskless falcon, Is this possible because i know Falcon's whole face is about 3 or 4 different polygon's and i'm hearing the game freezes when the file size is below 300 kb.

2) Is it possible to Give Characters a bunch of different character's moves. I want to give falcon Fox's forward smash and Mario's down smash.I don't really know too much about the way bones work in this game, bu I figure His Leg bone bends when he does the knee, and straighten out when he does his forward tilt so these moves shouldn't seem that hard of a switch( at least in theory).

3) Say If I actually do replace Falcon's f-smash with Fox's, What will happen to his other 2 f-smashes that are just different angles of his original. You can't angle Foxes F-smash and in PSA it says that his angeled f-smash goes to the standard f-smash for The GFX offset.

I'll expieriment and post results but i could really use some answers (and some sleep.)

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
I think I've found an explanation for my Sheik problem...

Has anyone managed to transfer over a differently named animation to another character? Say, SpecialNSpin [Metaknight] or SpecialLwHit [Ike] to another character?

It seems to me that if two characters have animations with the same name [i.e. AttackHi4 or SpecialSStart] the animations will transfer no problem. However, if you transfer an animation with a character-exclusive name, even if you rename it, Brawl will freeze up.

Has anyone come across this? A solution would be greatly appreciated.

Untouch

Smash Master
1) Can replace polygons with polygons of other characters?
No.

2) Is it possible to Give Characters a bunch of different character's moves.
Yes, move replacement.
There's a bunch of threads on it.

3) Say If I actually do replace Falcon's f-smash with Fox's, What will happen to his other 2 f-smashes that are just different angles of his original.
Not sure, but i'm pretty sure nothing would happen as they're different animations.

Kryal

Smash Ace

Has anyone managed to transfer over a differently named animation to another character? Say, SpecialNSpin [Metaknight] or SpecialLwHit [Ike] to another character?

It seems to me that if two characters have animations with the same name [i.e. AttackHi4 or SpecialSStart] the animations will transfer no problem. However, if you transfer an animation with a character-exclusive name, even if you rename it, Brawl will freeze up.

Animations are linked to bones. As an animation is played, the game interpolates the bone transformation matrices using keyframes in the CHR file. If the CHR file references a bone that doesn't exist in the model, it will freeze. I'm currently working on a way to add/remove bones in a CHR file.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof

Rename the animation. When you port over a Ftilt over a Dtilt, the Dtilt you're replacing will be renamed to Ftilt, so you'll have two of the same move. Right click, and rename it. Just like it said in the first post of the Move-Swap post DarkDragoon made.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
Weird. I restarted my computer and rebuilt the common5 file one more time, and it magically worked. Didn't do anything different, it just worked.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I believe the character-exclusive animation name theory is correct. When this first came out I tried to give Captain Falcon's AppealLwR to Ganondorf. Ganondorf doesn't normally have an AppealLwR, and even though I renamed it, the game froze (incidentally, this was the very first move swap I ever did, and it made me paranoid of freezes for every future swap I've made). Later I replaced Wario's AppealLwR with the Captain Falcon's, and it worked fine. In your ftilt/dtilt example, every character has an Attack3S animation (or whatever ftilt is, sorry, I'm just going by memory at the moment) so there's no problem importing a new one. But when it's importing something that doesn't exist, like AppealLwR, the game can see right through the name change and recognizes that the imported animation is something that doesn't normally exist on the character.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If that were the case, the animations would freeze on .Fade as soon as he used them. But they work fine for a few minutes before the game tells him to cut that **** out.

carlpie

Smash Cadet
Haven't seen the Smash- erm- Brawlbox since .52, and I must say .58 is astonishing- I particularly LOVE the 3D preview of stages and characters.

I don't see the 'known bugs' section any more, so I hope you don't mind if I communicate some issues I'm having.

The first is, unlike the earlier versions of Brawlbox, that I can't seem to set it as default program for opening .PAC and .PCS, when I did so manually through Properties and tried to open from my SD card (not opening brawlbox then selecting open, but directly double clicking the .pac) it opened the file but failed to load the little folder images.

Also when attempting to view my Samus texture it seems as if only some of the texture appears on the model whilst the texture works fine in-game- instead the model pieces appear white with some gray lines. I attempted to toggle the polygons in case one is overlapping, but nope... the body piece vanishes.

Majora252

Smash Rookie
Also, can you edit things in a PAC or PCS file that you've downloaded, or do you need an ISO?

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Haven't seen the Smash- erm- Brawlbox since .52, and I must say .58 is astonishing- I particularly LOVE the 3D preview of stages and characters.

I don't see the 'known bugs' section any more, so I hope you don't mind if I communicate some issues I'm having.

The first is, unlike the earlier versions of Brawlbox, that I can't seem to set it as default program for opening .PAC and .PCS, when I did so manually through Properties and tried to open from my SD card (not opening brawlbox then selecting open, but directly double clicking the .pac) it opened the file but failed to load the little folder images.

Also when attempting to view my Samus texture it seems as if only some of the texture appears on the model whilst the texture works fine in-game- instead the model pieces appear white with some gray lines. I attempted to toggle the polygons in case one is overlapping, but nope... the body piece vanishes.

The same thing happens with BrawlScape to Samus. I think it has something to do with how Kryal set it up to only read them a certain way or something like that. I'm not really sure, it's just a big problem everyone has.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Texture layers, not done. The line texture is actually the first layer, and the suit is the second.

As for the icons, I'm not sure what causes this. I've read it might have something to do with 'visual styles' in .Net. Try this:
1. Open a command prompt (as administrator).
2. Paste this in the command prompt and press enter:

Code:
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform"
3. When the command is done, right-click the command window and 'Select All'
4. Hit enter.
5. Ctrl + V to paste it into a post.

What I'm looking for is your version of windows and the runtimes installed.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
If that were the case, the animations would freeze on .Fade as soon as he used them. But they work fine for a few minutes before the game tells him to cut that **** out.
Correction, it's only a few seconds XP

Well, has anyone managed to get this [character-exclusive named animations] to work? That way I can confirm it's simply a problem with Sheik, which would make me cry a little =.=.

But yeah, all of Marth's basic animations [A moves] work perfectly.

Megaman X

Smash Journeyman
I have the same problem with the icons disappearing.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5
.0\User Agent\Post Platform
.NET CLR 2.0.50727 REG_SZ
.NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152 REG_SZ
.NET CLR 3.5.30729 REG_SZ

Kryal

Smash Ace
Correction, it's only a few seconds XP

Well, has anyone managed to get this [character-exclusive named animations] to work? That way I can confirm it's simply a problem with Sheik, which would make me cry a little =.=.

But yeah, all of Marth's basic animations [A moves] work perfectly.
An example of why moving character-specific animations won't work right:

This would be the case if you tried importing MetaKnight's SpecialNSpin animation into Captain Falcon.

Kryal

Smash Ace
I have the same problem with the icons disappearing.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5
.NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152 REG_SZ
.NET CLR 3.5.30729 REG_SZ
Also include the top line that has your OS version. Ex:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]

carlpie

Smash Cadet
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

InfoPath.2 REG_SZ

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
An example of why moving character-specific animations won't work right:

This would be the case if you tried importing MetaKnight's SpecialNSpin animation into Captain Falcon.
Ah, that makes sense. Is there any way to make this animation not freeze, though? The animation works fine in itself...would deleting some bones fix this problem?

AssaultFalcon

Smash Cadet
So i had given Captain Falcon sonic Dair and Foxes Fsmash. I got to do both moves at least once. Doing the Dair made falcon look all small and chubby (almost like sonic) then All of sudden the game freezes( right when sonic's about to hit me with his Dair, irony, isn't it)
Anyway, If I edit the bones and Hitboxes in PSA, do you think I'll be able to get at least a whole match without the game freezing.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
@AssaultFalcon: You're going to need to change something in the Motion file before it'll stop crashing, I'm pretty sure.

As for this note in the OpenSA thread...
BrawlBox will have an animation feature in the next release, and all the code can be accessed here:

http://code.google.com/p/brawltools/

BrawlLib has a lot of similar features you may be able to use. Just pop it in your project and that's it.
An animation feature would be incredible! You continue to amaze me, Kryal.

I think I recall you said earlier that the next version would have improved compatibility with model rendering? Or am I misremembering? Because my computer is a little too wimpy to render them right now :/

Kryal

Smash Ace
@AssaultFalcon: You're going to need to change something in the Motion file before it'll stop crashing, I'm pretty sure.

As for this note in the OpenSA thread...

An animation feature would be incredible! You continue to amaze me, Kryal.

I think I recall you said earlier that the next version would have improved compatibility with model rendering? Or am I misremembering? Because my computer is a little too wimpy to render them right now :/
Well, I can't exactly make guarantees. I've dropped OpenGL support to version 1.1 for now which may solve your problem. However, this was to allow some video cards without a certain extension to work. I DID change the way mipmaps are generated, which may solve the 'white texture' issue. Without these machines to test code with it's a little difficult to say how it will work.

Just so everyone knows, the graphics rendering won't be perfect until I can make a scene graph. OpenGL is supposed to be rendered back-to-front, which is a pain because the camera can move at any given time. If you factor in animations then it's even more of a hassle.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well, I can't exactly make guarantees. I've dropped OpenGL support to version 1.1 for now which may solve your problem. However, this was to allow some video cards without a certain extension to work. I DID change the way mipmaps are generated, which may solve the 'white texture' issue. Without these machines to test code with it's a little difficult to say how it will work.

Just so everyone knows, the graphics rendering won't be perfect until I can make a scene graph. OpenGL is supposed to be rendered back-to-front, which is a pain because the camera can move at any given time. If you factor in animations then it's even more of a hassle.
Alrighty; that's good to hear. I'll take what I can get, though I expect my pathetic comp won't render any of these things for me. I'll hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

By the way, I don't know what absurd amount of work I'm suggesting by this, but would it be possible to show animations as merely a wireframe of bones and connections? I know nothing of modeling/animating/replicating those things, so I don't know how ridiculous my suggestion may or may not be.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Alrighty; that's good to hear. I'll take what I can get, though I expect my pathetic comp won't render any of these things for me. I'll hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised though.

By the way, I don't know what absurd amount of work I'm suggesting by this, but would it be possible to show animations as merely a wireframe of bones and connections? I know nothing of modeling/animating/replicating those things, so I don't know how ridiculous my suggestion may or may not be.
Sure, it's possible. Rendering the bones is extremely easy. When I'm done with the animations I will be able to add a REAL viewer/editor.

Ianx3

Smash Cadet
Already made a thread for this, butttttt, someone told me to post it in here instead, so here goes. Well, I've seen it done before. Anyway, I'm trying to use Lin's assist trophy as Marth... I've failed, so far. I tried by replacing their Model Data [0] and Texture Data [0] but marth still appeared as normal... Any help?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I think the only way we got Lyn or any other AT working was on PT.

Anyway,

Kyral, I'm probably late on this and all, but with the next update can we expect the ability to add Data and files inside data instead of just replacing them?

Kryal

Smash Ace
I think the only way we got Lyn or any other AT working was on PT.

Anyway,

Kyral, I'm probably late on this and all, but with the next update can we expect the ability to add Data and files inside data instead of just replacing them?
You can already add new resources. For ARChives, you can create a new ARChive or BRResource. For BRResources, you can add new textures.

Other formats require special attention when replacing data WITHIN them. Every data type is unique in its method of replacing. For example, if we were to add a new bone to a model, we would have to rebuild the entire model file to make up for the new size. Other formats are easier, like the animation files. I figure we'll eventually get to the model editing stage, but not yet...

Kryal

Smash Ace
Already made a thread for this, butttttt, someone told me to post it in here instead, so here goes. Well, I've seen it done before. Anyway, I'm trying to use Lin's assist trophy as Marth... I've failed, so far. I tried by replacing their Model Data [0] and Texture Data [0] but marth still appeared as normal... Any help?
First, make sure you're saving the costume file as both pac and pcs formats. You can easily do this by selecting Save As -> PAC/PCS Pair. If the filename ends with _en, remove the _en part when you copy it to the SD card.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Okay, small update for everyone. Next version will have a few new features:

Animation editor:

MSBin editor:

Model window sidebars

Revised RSAR organization (just looks for now)

Among other things:
  • Improved CMPR algorithm (fast too!)
  • Lowered OpenGL version to 1.1

Just waiting on the CHR encoder...

Top Bottom