• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brickwalls and Traps: The keys to victory

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks for writing this; it's encouraging to see a knowledgeable Smasher sharing his knowledge to benefit the community.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Bump.

BEHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!!

KNOW MY POWER!!!!!!

*slash

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the bump, 'twas a good read and I missed it when it was up front before.

However,
The Secular Seven ( MK, Snake, D3, G&W, Marth, Falco and R.O.B) all have limited combo ability
I would just like to point out that ROB is a God-fearing bot if I ever knew one.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
decent enough. you can never have enough scrub-friendly threads that try to pull scrubs out of scrubdom. good work EL

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
This will definatelly be difficult for captain falcon, since he doesn't any hidden range in his 'A' moves. In this case, his 'B' moves will be acting as his range attacks, I will figure out a way to apply what you have said in your post Emblem Lord. Thank you for the post, Fakeman

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

J4pu

Smash Champion
I was looking for good threads to explain the dynamics of winning in smash to help my friend improve, and I like this thread so much I figured I would also bump it.
A good read EL.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think you should update with visual aids. There are different kinds of people here. Some are textual learners, but others are visual, and need help in that regard. You could use thumbnail images to help out, like these, as examples of these two aspects of the game.

Brickwalls:
http://www.3dmd.net/gallery/albums/textures/walls/brick/BrownBrickWall_tileable.jpg

Traps:
http://www.weltimkino.de/medien/images/8142.jpg
:laugh:

Traps are the way to go.
I set a trap. haha

edit2:
if you don't get it, I changed the link from 8142 to 8147 ;]

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Nice guide there, but let me ask a question.

The way I see it, brickwalls make it hard for your opponent to attack you while still dealing some damage. So, by mixing it up properly (i.e. start with projectile zoning, then, just when your opponent has found a way around it, switching to long range aerials/jabs/tilts), you could effectively keep your opponent from being in control of the match, which sounds incredibly useful.

Now I can imagine that working really well with players that have little experience with the matchup, but once you've faced some of Pits, you'll know how to get around the arrow spam, just as you'll know when Metaknights will use the Mach Tornado.

So how do brickwalls work against players that already know how to deal with them?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That really depends on the wall.

Arrow spam with Pit is easily dealt with at high levels, but Falco's lasers not so much since he can SHDL and land with no lag.

It really just depends on what character you use and what tools they have and how good you are with making walls.

Generally though good players will figure how to get past your wall.

Think of Brickwalls as a test. A preliminary round before the actual fighting. You force them past your wall before they get to actually do battle with you.

theEffinBear

Smash Apprentice
Think of Brickwalls as a test. A preliminary round before the actual fighting. You force them past your wall before they get to actually do battle with you.
This is it exactly. Or more wordily, a brick wall is a "you must be this tall to ride this attraction" sign. I see you have a little Yoshi badge (Opfer), so take Yoshi's ledge-camped up-B. You get some invincibility frames for grabbing the ledge and you just pelt them with projectiles that do pretty decent damage. If you enter a match against someone who has no clue how to deal with this tactic, you could repeatedly use it -- possibly even to the point of winning by relying almost exclusively on ledge-camped eggs. The tactic of "edge-camped eggs forever" is a brick wall: if your opponent cannot get surpass it, they cannot "actually" fight you. They weren't good enough to ride the "have a normal battle" attraction.

Some would call this "spamming", or "being cheap", and by their definitions, they are probably correct. And you may choose to avoid spamming or being cheap: maybe you are playing for fun, or playing to learn, or playing to please the crowd, or playing for some other reason. But if you are playing to win, if winning is your primary and only goal, and you can win via a brick wall, then **** son, you construct that brick wall and you win with it.

But maybe your opponent is good enough to answer Yoshi's ledge-camped eggs. At this point you can pull out another brick wall (if you have one), like the pivot-grab vs any ground approach and the u-smash vs any air approach. And if your opponent cannot beat this new brick wall, then (again) you've basically won the match.

If your opponent can answer or beat all your brick walls, then you have to "actually" fight them. You can certainly still use pivot-grabs, u-smashes, and eggs from the ledge, and you likely will do all these things even multiple times in a row, but you (probably) will not try to restrict the match to one of those brick walls again. Thus the answer to your question "So how do brickwalls work against players that already know how to deal with them?" is "they don't". If your opponent can prevent you from turning the Brawl match into a "try to get around my ledge-camped eggs!" minigame, then you must fight them on more even footing.

Hope this helps,
/RtEB
[size=-2]Yeah, that was kinda verbose. If you were unsatisfied by any wasting of your time, dear reader, I offer a full refund on any money you have paid me to subscribe to my posts. SERVICE AND SATISFACTION ARE EVER MY WATCHWORDS.[/size]

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Ah, alright, thank you very much for clearing that up. I think I just now really understood what brickwalls are. :)

Currently, Im mostly playing friendlies with my brother and some friends (no tournies in my area), so I don't use brickwalls a lot, because I'm playing to learn. But I did notice how I could "go cheap" and do excessive egg camping if needed. So that's very useful to know.

I'll try and find as many of these brickwalls as possible, it seems to be incredibly useful to know them all. :)

Karas

Smash Cadet
el, why dont you write a book saying,
"Open for win,
emblems guide
to victory"

_Phloat_

Smash Champion

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Great post, shows that there are a lot of useful techniques in brawl.
I never really noticed, but I use all of these.
Good job.

Brave Hippo

Smash Ace
I just had a nergasm after reading this, Captain Falcon now has a fighting chance! Thank you, Emblem Lord!!!!!!

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I think you should of put pressuring as a trap or something. or shield pokes as a wall. If its DK vs MK, MK can spam a few Dtils and mix in some SHFF Fairs, it pressure DK's inferior shield and forces him to back off or drop his shield. Leaving MK the ablilty to attack.

A good read and very interesting, the zoning for projectiles was very quite an insight ;o.

Top Bottom