• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brinstar

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I like Brinstar (By which I mean the Melee Metroid level...yeah). I don't know if I'd ever have the balls to counter pick it, but if it came up against me, I know that it wouldn't get to me too much.

It's all a matter of how you look at it, and how you use the stage.

The thing is, is that this stage does not promote that which Diddy is famous for. It doesn't promote a strong glide toss filled ground game because you have barely an inch of screen to move about in. That's not to say that it's a bad thing.

I think of it as like a cage. To your left and right are those 'sticky' goo things that hold those floating side platforms down. The great thing about those is that they'll hold in your bananas if they go astray. Also, as has been noted before is that the bananas will continually bounce on the capsules which hold the stage together towards the right of the main part of the stage.

When you look at it in this light, what you have is a stage which keeps your bananas on the stage, and a place where you can bounce a banana, creating a permanent, bouncing hitbox (at least, I think it retains the hitbox, I'll have to check). It's a cage filled with thrown bananas, aerials, tilts, everything you can think of.

Other advantages include the fact that you can recover through the stage, and if you're feeling lucky, barrel spike others as they try to recover through the bottom. It's not an easy stage to traverse on the ground, so your opponent will be travelling through the air at you, inviting peanut gun shots.

Traditionally, it's a bad stage for Diddy. But that's what we said about Rainbow Cruise. It's all a matter of how you want to look at it. It might work for a few people and not others, these are just a few ideas.

We keep talking about Diddy's limitless potential.
Well, we've gotta start somewhere.

Luigi player

Smash Master
It's only called Brinstar. Brinstar Depths is the other Metroid stage in Melee. ^^

The banana hitbox is still there if it bounces on those capsules, but it will only bounce 3 times.

I think it's not that bad for Diddy, but he has KO problems and other, stronger characters or ones who can gimp good will probably have an advantage...

I'll stick to DK on that stage though, because he owns there...

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Brinstar shouldn't be toooo bad.
After all, if you go into a tournament relying nearly 100% on your banana game, you're in trouble. Trust me.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was counterpicked on that stage on the grand finals at hobo 12.. Somehow I beat Lucario on that stage just by using the stage wisely.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
im not gonna lie, i get roflpwned when i play MKs on this stage. Everyone else and its not that bad really

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that bouncing capsule trick is awesome, especially if you can get two bananas hopping around on there at once. Banana wall + peanut camping = awesome.

I don't think it's a horrible stage, it's just an unfamiliar one. The main part of the stage is really awkward to play around on, and (usually) causes Diddy's momentum to slow down a lot. I'm thinking that if the main part of the stage was completely flat, this would be an amazing stage, but the fact that you get caught in those capsules makes it a pain to play on, especially if rely on bananas for most of your combos.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Attention Diddy Kong players:
Pick electroplankin. Press Up-B when on a leaf. Act stunned when you see what happens, then be pissed most tournaments ban the level.

ADHD

Smash Hero
bump because we need to work on this stage and it would be nice if we could develop specific strategies

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
bump because we need to work on this stage and it would be nice if we could develop specific strategies

I think someone should make an entire thread for Stages. Including Diddy's strengths/weaknesses, good trix for individual stages, and counter picking strategies, for characters and stages for Diddy.

:monkey:

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
This should be in there then, and we should really work on advancing that thread. Any ways has anyone noticed that the Diddy Boards is really flourishing? I think we have the best boards :)

:monkey:

Top Bottom