• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Broken Discs / Freezing Issues

The Cape

Smash Master
So I have been editing Melee a bit for my own use and can release the information if others want it.

I have been able to run the completed mods on Dolphin, but I cannot get my Wii to boot through Nintendont. I have attempted a fresh .ISO for SSBM as well as other games and they all load up, but when I run the mods that I have created it does not even boot up the Wii past the Nintendont phase.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

DRGN

Technowizard
Which mods are you applying, and how? I haven't used Nintendont in a little while, so I'm not sure I can help with specific boot-up problems with it. Well, assuming a mod isn't the cause, but actually it sounds like they are.

If you're applying the mods using Gecko codes, C2 type Gecko codes (injection codes) do not work through newer versions of Nintendont (such as v3.371, though I don't know the exact version where the change happened). I'm not sure if this has been fixed in the absolute newest, but that's something you could test. Aside from that, you still have at least 3 options:

1) Use an older version of Nintendont (v3.305 confirmed working with C2 type Gecko codes)
2) Use the Melee Code Manager to apply mods to your game (this makes it very easy to add/remove codes directly to your ISO, and eliminates the need for Gecko)
3) Use DIOS MIOS instead of Nintendont

If you still are having a problem, then you need to isolate which specific mod is the cause. The general methodology to do that would be to start uninstalling mods until it works, or, conversely, start with a fresh copy of Melee and start installing mods until it doesn't work. Since it's not booting at all, start with mods that are meant to affect the game's boot-up or menus, rather than those that would affect characters, stages, mechanics, or other things that shouldn't be executed until specific circumstances. Otherwise, if you have no particular suspicions for the cause, do the uninstalling or installing procedure with half of the mods at a time (after each boot attempt), to most efficiently work through them. In other words, for example, install half of what you had when you realized it wasn't working; let's call this subset Group A. If you boot up and that works, install half of what was still left uninstalled and try again. And if instead Group A didn't work, uninstall half of it and try again. Repeat this pattern and you should find the problematic code.

Last edited:

The Cape

Smash Master
I have been using Melee Code Manager which has been a huge help.

What version of DIOS MIOS should I use? And where can I find older versions of Nintendont? I'll be sure to check the version on that.

Mostly I have been doing PICo.dat injections, character swaps with Crazy Hand, and Injection, Gecko, and Overwrite codes using MCC.

Thanks

The Cape

Smash Master
I get these errors in Dolphin when I try to boot a stage when Falcon is selected.

I tried turning off all codes relating specifically to him (Rapid Jabs and Side B fall) and still have the issue. I also tried to load a fresh unaltered character file from a 1.02 ISO as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
What version of DIOS MIOS should I use? And where can I find older versions of Nintendont?
The latest version of DIOS MIOS is 2.11, which is probably best. I don't have DIOS MIOS or Nintendont download links, but you should be able to google them.

I get these errors in Dolphin when I try to boot a stage when Falcon is selected.

I tried turning off all codes relating specifically to him (Rapid Jabs and Side B fall) and still have the issue. I also tried to load a fresh unaltered character file from a 1.02 ISO as well.
I don't know what those errors mean either. I would just keep trying one of the two methods I mentioned. If you're not having luck with one, try the other. Or maybe replacing PICo.dat, PlCa.dat, and/or PlCaAj.dat (Falcon's shared textures, move logic, & animation data, and other stuff) with original ones. Crazy Hand makes modifications in some of them.

The Cape

Smash Master
I recoded everything from scratch and loaded the files into a new ISO via GCR instead of through Crazy Hand and that worked.

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
I have been asking this to other parts, but nobody seems to reply, so I assume its part of this. But then again, this also happened when I didn't have mods on, but it started because of mods, at least I think.
I was creating a mod for making Ganondorf exactly like Captain Falcon. Once I finished, when I tried testing it out in my melee ISO, 15 seconds into training mode, it crashed, and it showed these messages. One quick note, the messages went from first to second when I pressed Ok, the only button there:

First Message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 800072dc last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Second message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 8000725c last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Third message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 80007260 last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Fourth message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 80007264 last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Fifth Message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 80007268 last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Sixth message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 80007280 last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Seventh message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 80007284 last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Eighth message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 80007288 last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "
Ninth message: " intCPU: Unknown Instruction 08000000 at PC = 8000728c last_PC = 81200cf0 LR = 80008214 "

I know people have been getting problems with nearly identical instructions with intCPU, however, the numbers that I get don't match up with the ones I looked up. 3 quick things I want people to realize:
1. This isn't only in training mode. This happens in Classic mode, Adventure Mode, Training mode, Normal melee modes, Tournament Melee, Events, Minigames, Special Smash, and any extra that I forgot to list that involves using a character.

2. This might've been cause of mods, but maybe not. When I tried to play another vannila melee ISO, I eventually got the same error messages you saw up there.

3. On the modded ISO, I had 2 characters I didn't mod yet, Jigglypuff and Mario. Of course, I tested if they worked, but neither of them got close to working. In fact, it took less time to get the crash and messages with non-modded characters then modded characters. If anyone has seen this problem, or knows how to fix it, please tell me. I am unable to play anything on Dolphin at all until this is fixed.
Thanks in further notice.

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
What kind of mods have you been making? Was Ganon the only change you made? When it crashes on Vanilla are the fault codes the same? I'm not sure about what's going wrong but figure that's important information for anyone assisting.

Last edited:

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
What kind of mods have you been making? Was Ganon the only change you made? When it crashes on Vanilla are the fault codes the same? I'm not sure about what's going wrong but figure that's important information for anyone assisting.
The fault codes are the same between vanilla and modded, and I did make one change beforehand, but I got rid of it afterwards. I don't know what the change was, but I do remember testing out Crazy Hand via Dr. Mario.

DRGN

Technowizard
https://smashboards.com/threads/cannot-boot-iso.444243/#post-21591091

I feel somewhat of a need to make a flow-chart.

Also, I recommend keeping back-ups of your work when it's working, and record what changes you've added. I usually recommend MCM for multiple reasons, but in situations like this it's not only for the speed/ease of adding/removing mods (for the method of troubleshooting I linked to above), but because it tracks what locations have been modified, and therefore can warn you if certain installed codes conflict with one another.

Btw, Greenme23 ( Turkey ) Greenme23 ( Turkey ) , do you mind if I change the title of this thread to "Broken Disc / Freezing Issues"? It'd be more descriptive for those who might be looking for suggestions for this sort of problem, or looking for a place to post similar questions. Or The Cape The Cape I could do that with your thread instead. Or if you're both cool with it, I could merge the two threads. Would be a good general discussion area for all sorts of these problems.

Edit: Threads merged! And renamed.

Last edited:

The Cape

Smash Master
I'm ok with the merging if it helps people out. I generally just go back and recode from scratch on anything I screw up, it's why I take solid notes.

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
https://smashboards.com/threads/cannot-boot-iso.444243/#post-21591091

I feel somewhat of a need to make a flow-chart.

Also, I recommend keeping back-ups of your work when it's working, and record what changes you've added. I usually recommend MCM for multiple reasons, but in situations like this it's not only for the speed/ease of adding/removing mods (for the method of troubleshooting I linked to above), but because it tracks what locations have been modified, and therefore can warn you if certain installed codes conflict with one another.

Btw, Greenme23 ( Turkey ) Greenme23 ( Turkey ) , do you mind if I change the title of this thread to "Broken Disc / Freezing Issues"? It'd be more descriptive for those who might be looking for suggestions for this sort of problem, or looking for a place to post similar questions. Or The Cape The Cape I could do that with your thread instead. Or if you're both cool with it, I could merge the two threads. Would be a good general discussion area for all sorts of these problems.
Sure, why not. I don't know if its a broken disk, and its definitely not freezing issues. It literally crashes right then.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
my dolphin sometimes ffffffreezes... i have several custom skins and colors, is this a problem those cause or did i do something wrong in my settings?

Top Bottom