• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

bthrow appreciation thread

Browny

Smash Hater
i think this board needs one

After getting back into ness, i cant get over his bthrow. but so much more than its amazing KO power, the mindgames it plays are worth so much. whenever i use ness against my brother, the instant he get int the 120% range, he knows the throw is coming, and any whiffed attack means death. this generally forces him to start to try and camp, or only use short opped aerials then retreat. too scared too approach, its only a matter of time till the throw goes off, and more mindgames ensue from from the inability of DI to make any difference :p Its effects are noticeable on wifi too, after the first 1-2 KO's the opponent generally becomes too afraid too approach.

i find myself now, almost exlcuisvely getting 3 bthrows off every match, for 3 stocks. i dont even bother with smashes or PKT2.

anyone else love the bthrow as much as i do? hell i dont even have to use it and my enemies are still too afraid to attack and get shield grabbed lol

DarkBlue

Smash Cadet
If only Ness' grab range was a bit longer.. ;_;

I usually get a few Bthrow kills.. but I won't go nuts trying to grab them until I see a clear opening.. one whiffed grab means they're going to be keeping an eye out for it, after all <_<

Levitas

the moon
This is a good thread. I find the bthrow to be Ness's best kill more than half of the time. All his aerials put together are almost as good at killing.

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
His backthrow is the stringest in the game. I always use it rather than the forward throw, even when I'm facing the edge.

Wiz

Smash Cadet
bthrow is just too good. Sometimes i can be lazy and just rack up some damage just barely enough to catch my opponent off guard, while waiting around, pretending like i don't care, and go for the killing throw

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
It's crazy really. Who's idea was it to give Ness the strongest bthrow in the game anyways!? I think it would'vegone to Ganon or someone but man, Im satisfied.

Anyways, Ness' ra range is fine Darkblue. He's not really that punishable either. He does this cool wavedash when he uses a dash grab as if he was jump cancelling it like in Melee.

The bthrow is definitely one of Ness' better kill moves. It's amazing at killing and it can kill pretty low near the edge. With DI, it can kill midweights around 110% off the top of the screen when they DI up. People ususally DI upwards after a move that launches you sideways, but this thing has vertical kill power also.

If they DI wring, they're gone. I dont care where they are or what their percent is, they're done. A good way to get them to DI wrong is just to throw without any pummelling to catch them off guard and punish fast. Also, reverse grabs confuse opponents when you throw quickly.

Mindgames are good. What I like to do is grab someone at a good bthrow kill percent and pummel them as much as possible. They assume I will bthrow them and DI wrong. I then use a dthrow and follow up with an uair which kills them.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
From Smashbros.com:
There is a general trend of throw strength throughout Brawl’s character roster. On the whole, characters with supernatural powers tend to have the most powerful throws, while fighters like the ones from the Fire Emblem series tend to have weaker ones.
Ness is the only psychic in the original Smash Bros, and therefore recieved godly throws. No taking those away, now.
He after all has the power of the whole freakin' Earth.
Ness' throw is the only concievably "killing" throw in the game, but some people could argue Mario's and Luigi's count too. I've died from Mario Bros. bthrow, I'll admit it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I read that, but that's why I posted ganon. He's physically AND magically powerful.

Mario and Luigi have powerful throws because they used those throws for tossing a certain 50 ton giant turtle, dragon, dinosaur crossbreed.

Olimar's blue Pikmin has been working out daily so much that it has lost it's breath causing it to turn blue.

eHerbieInReverse

Smash Apprentice
Heck yes, his back throw is amazing. Love that thing to death man.

I love back throwing at low percentages near the edge too, they almost always double jump back on to stage right away which is just at the right height (if they don't DI right) to bair them to the face once. Satisfying as heck. They go from like, 0% to 25% in a couple of seconds. Even more if you follow up the bair with more bairs or a PKT or something.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
definantly my favorite throw in the game, it gets me a lot of my kills, second being either pkt2 or his bair

As a funny little mind game, when my opponent is 120% or so, ill grab and fthrow them, then finish with an aerial, just to mix things up a bit. Its boring when the whole match is bthrow kills xD (i only do this to my brother and friend who suck xD)

Gindler

Smash Champion
Definetly how I get ALOT of my kills, They think that the Fair is so useless but i generally use that and Dthrows just to get them into Bthrow kill range :p

I'd say 2 of my kills per match are from Bthrow (if i get 3 kills that is) and usually the other is from a low percentage pkt2 kill or a spike at some point.

The Bthrow is probably the godliest thing in a doubles match, me and my teammate will just damage them up and if we haven't already killed them at 120% my teammate knows the Bthrow is coming (other teams have to hold and Fsmash but that only works when 1 enemy is left) and he'll try and set me up for the throw :p

Awww man, most reliable kill move in the game I'd say.

napZzz

Smash Hero
This thread has so much win. Every since smash 64 that move has been an easy kill. And dont complain about ness's grab range, ness kind of slides/dashes when he grabs now, which makes it very easy to grab, compared to melee ness....

and the most reliable kill move is snakes utilt. Dont argue.

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
why do some throws end up being very horizontal and some others being very diagonal/ vertical when they're airborne after being thrown.

napZzz

Smash Hero
That depends on how your opponent di's out of it. Like which ever way they are mashing their control stick and stufffz. (I think)

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
the back throw is what makes ness so potent. all you gotta do is put damage on the other guy, cuz the back throw takes care of the rest.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
*argues with Nappy*

Can Snake utilt out of shield? Out of dash? lol, j/k

THe DI is very noticable with the bthrow. Like i said, people would normally DI up when about to get hit by a powerful horizontal attack, but since Ness' bthrow kills off the top almost as easily, this may not be much better than no DI at all :lol:

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Actually DIing up oppose to none depends on where you are. If you are near the edge and get thrown off to the side you are closest to you should DI. If you are being thrown across from on edge to the other edge don't DI up because you can be killed off the top pretty well too.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't DI reduce your chances of survival no matter which way you DI?
I suppose a downwards DI would help if you're on the opposite side of a field, but normally DI is bad on Ness' Bthrow.

Oh ya EB360: Didn't see the "Ganon" thingy. Although, in the games, Ganon never really does anything magical. Maybe in OoT, I've never played that one. In LttP, WW, and TP, he just rams you with brute force.

napZzz

Smash Hero
*argues with Nappy*

Can Snake utilt out of shield? Out of dash? lol, j/k

THe DI is very noticable with the bthrow. Like i said, people would normally DI up when about to get hit by a powerful horizontal attack, but since Ness' bthrow kills off the top almost as easily, this may not be much better than no DI at all :lol:
lol doesnt matter. When snake throws his leg up everything about within 1 marth sword in front of his leg gets hit and dies around 90-100%. I still love the bthrow. Always been my favorite ness kill move and one of my faves in the game.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
His B-throw rocks. No question. However, when playing experienced players, the mindgames it creates are worth a lot more to you than the throw itself. The opponent will try to space themselves which for melee-only characters such as Falcon and Marth, leaves you with some room to experiment with various apporaches and with decent timing and setups, with your projectile attacks (mainly PKF). Psy.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ha, I have noticed a few people will DI down right before I bthrow with ness. This usually causes them to die at lower percents cause they shoot out in nearly a straight line. I find this to be the best kill move against snake too since he's TOO heavy and this is the only non-spike that'll kill him at 130ish very often.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
How does Ness' bthrow compare to Lucas' throws? I think that Lucas can KO you with a dthrow on Final Destination at 150% or about there, I tried it and I consistently got kills with him there. Ness' bthrow can kill at some percent I forgot, but it was at least 30% lower than Lucas' bthrow from the middle of Final Destination.

Levitas

the moon
lucas's throws aren't nearly as good. somewhere between a 35-50% difference in kill range depending on the character.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
This is the Ness boards, non?
So Gindler, do heavier characters actually DI downwards because of thier weight, sending them down at a lower angle, or do they just fall?
What I mean is....
Do they shoot out ------->
Or curve a little ____-----____>
The curve should have a bit less knockback due to longer space for knockback to wear off.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
They just DI down by accident probably. When you DI Ness bthrowdown, you will die. You fly at the trajectory of Diddy's uncharged Peanut.

Top Bottom