• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buffer frames?

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Aight, so I heard that there were buffer frames in melee. This is completely new to me, and I have a feeling it could really help on a few things I've been puzzled about.

What I would like to know is:

-When you can buffer things.
-When it is useful to buffer things.
-How many frames of buffering you get.

I know that if you hold the C-stick a certain direction, you'll either jump, roll, or duck dodge on the first possible frame. Could be useful to jump out of shield and counter attack.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
From anything.

You can always choose Young Link, hold L/R + Cstick Down and Win! Just keep those 2 held down and your opponent will suicide on purpose.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
I think I just got more confused.

Holding the cstick down while in shield, will make what happen when what happens?

L__

Smash Master
When you're getting shield pressured, you can

hold shield + left/right = buffer roll

hold shield + up = buffer jump

hold shield + down = buffer spot dodge

^ My explanation isn't the best.

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
When you're getting shield pressured, you can

hold shield + left/right = buffer roll

hold shield + up = buffer jump

hold shield + down = buffer spot dodge

^ My explanation isn't the best.
No, this is good. Now I just need to understand the c-stick crap. -_-

Vro

Smash Lord
The C-Stick is used to buffer directions the joystick would normally input. So, you can roll/spotdodge/jump from your shield using the C-Stick. A lot of people misunderstand buffering. There is no magic in them and they don't do anything amazing/extra. It's as if you did your action asap. That being said, there is amazing use to buffering OoS options with the C-Stick, especially in assisting an escape from a tech chase.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Buffering a roll can often be very useful against Falco's dair approach and other forms of shield pressure, just don't get predictable.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Buffering is pretty much a misnomer here.
What buffering is usually known as is something that you input before an action and that action will happen.
In no way does Melee have any sort of mechanic like this, however holding the C-stick like said just makes multiple control stick inputs to do something A.S.A.P.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Buffering is pretty much a misnomer here.
What buffering is usually known as is something that you input before an action and that action will happen.
In no way does Melee have any sort of mechanic like this, however holding the C-stick like said just makes multiple control stick inputs to do something A.S.A.P.
Are you sure?

So can you just hold the c-stick to mash out of grabs?

Vro

Smash Lord
The C-Stick doesn't generate extra inputs, so I don't think it works the way you were thinking.

And I do believe Melee has a few occasions where previous inputs buffer into current actions. Jab reset is one of those, IIRC.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
buffering in melee is primarily being able to do something on the first frame avilble.

If you're in sheild, you can hold c-stick in a direction up/down/side to jump/spot dodge/roll respectively to do an action on the first frame possible.

it isnt a cure-all to tech chasing or sheild pressure, but it helps if you know how to use it sometimes. Example, you're falcon and you come in with a dair, and marth baited you so he dashed away and is goign to dash back in and grab you, on your l-cancel, you can continue to hold L and c-stick after the aerial to roll right away and you might get away.

note, thats just a hypothetical situation and may not work in real life, if you're at a frame disadvantage your screwed either way

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Sorry what I said is misleading as well XD.
C-sticking won't put in multiple inputs, but it WILL do something as soon as possible.
Sorry I was fairly tired when I typed that up and undoubtedly ********.

It's still not what I would call a buffer though.

XIII ways to die

Smash Apprentice
this i alreayd new cuse i used it for ice climbers. but so what im getting though is yall are saying you can do these things faster by using the c-stick in the right situation.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
this i alreayd new cuse i used it for ice climbers. but so what im getting though is yall are saying you can do these things faster by using the c-stick in the right situation.
I think faster implies the wrong idea and that as fast as possible is more accurate.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ya pc... you didn't know about buffering rolls/spotdodges from shield? or just in general (during lag of a move)? :/
you can also buffer a downthrow by holding the c-stick down and then grabbing. i don't really know why forward, back, and upthrow don't work. I usually use the C-stick to throw anyway so I can dash immediately afterward >_>

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Are you sure?

So can you just hold the c-stick to mash out of grabs?
Yes, C-stick is just a way to do things ASAP. Not so much of a buffer...

One real buffer I can think of is DJing, such as inputing a jump and the game giving you a few buffer frames to let you jump as soon as hitstun or w/e is over.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
melee has a natural buffer of 1 frame. other than that you're just mashin' jump.

using c-stick to buffer stuff from shield/dthrows is basically buffering, and no one cares about the technical term.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Only one?

Other than technical names, C-stick does pretty much what a buffer does, so my last post is practically just moot.

Top Bottom