• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bullied Teen Amanda Todd Leaves Chilling Video

Muhti

Turkish Smasher
Just because they may do some good things doesn't excuse all of the terrible things that they do. And Anonymous had done more harm than good.

Edit: After reading GoldShadow's post, it seems that Anonymous doesn't do anything that's good at all. They're even worse than I thought.
Yea, reading more in-depth into it kind of scared me. Forget of what I have said about Anonymous!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It's no surprise that Anonymous sucks. Handing someone anonymity is like handing them a ring of Gyges. Do that on the internet, where there is a lot of isolated degenerate feelings, bad things are going to happen.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I hate to get on my soapbox and talk about how bullies get what they deserve but...this

this is the flip side ladies and gentleman
this is what happens when abuse and bullying goes unchecked

now first of all that man should be found and brought up on serious criminal charges

but the chastising by her friends and her school is what really hammered her
theres got to be more regulation in schools for this

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well, I've stated this about a hundred times. The problem with Anonymous is that they choose to have no form of leadership or organization. Therefore, if one guy who claims to be part of Anon does something bad, they all take the heat. Vice versa.
But that's sort of the point, the veil of anonymity is an equalising factor which removes all immediate prejudice. The only prejudice is against the content they post on the internet, and that is the sole thing that is judged. Hierarchy, leadership, a conventional group identity is exactly what Anonymous is meant to avoid, it is the cloak worn to escape the disingenuousness of day to day society.

Imo the problem with Anonymous is that their presence is becoming too overt in parts of the internet that are for mainstream society, a society which wants to govern and regulate everything into a sense of sameness and acceptability, even if such things would NEVER affect them whatsoever, they have to impose.

On the other hand, the vitriol loving members of Anonymous should remember to

a) use solid anonymising software when ****ing with mainstream internet

and

b) remember that the reason they found an affinity for Anonymous' culture is because they dislike the façades put up in daily life, and that the general public will react with great shock and disgust at anything that reaches the mainstream media. I'm sure that's their intention but that sort of circles back to point a that they need to be a little more smart about it, and generally those who are actually part of Anonymous probably would be.

To me it's not so much a case of OMG STOP CYBER BULLYING, STOP TROLLING, but rather thinking why do people even end up doing these things?

Members of Anonymous are generally from countries with very false societies with very fake interactions in day to day life, nonsensical arbritrary societal rules at every corner etc. Society's methods of unofficial government are in many ways more oppressive than overt rules. I'm more bothered that people would say I shouldn't wear certain piercings and grow long highlighted hair because I'm a boy (even plenty of liberals would say this) than the fact that I could get arrested for possessing a not so harmful a drug in cannabis. Seriously how many of you reading this post would say "legalise pot!" but think "yo long hair and highlights aren't supposed to be for men, oh what you got a piercing u a girl bro? It's just wrong!"

Obviously this doesn't change the fact that taunting and abusing people to the point of their suicide isn't exactly justified by these things, but such an unhealthy (imo) societal structure does set a precedent for such ****.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The cultural significance of this is really important.

And I agree, people hating on social aspects are much more annoying and in ways more powerful because they are much more untouchable and subtle. And I'm sick of people thinking I'm a girl, can't go to a Tj Max without a lady walking up to me and my mother and going, "Hello ladies... *looks again* and gentlemen." ***** we're the only two around. <___< Just because I have long hair. So lame.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wow, another victim of bullying takes her own life in a chilling way:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/26/felicia-garcia-suicide_n_2023835.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

A bullied teen's last tweet revealed her despair from relentless teasing two days before she jumped in front of a train in New York City.
Felicia Garcia, 15, was reportedly tormented by her peers at Tottenville High School, who teased her about sexual encounters with football players, police sources told the New York Daily News.

On Wednesday, Garcia killed herself in front of classmates at a Staten Island train station. Her friends believe that Garcia's final Twitter post on Monday showed that bullying had become intolerable.

"I cant, im done, I give up," she tweeted.

The New York Times reports that Garcia went through hardship throughout her young life. Her parents died when she was young, she ran away from her aunt's house with an older man at one point, and later she bounced around in the foster care system.

But bullying at school apparently was the final straw.

"Kids are saying she had sex with some guys from the football team at a party after the game," Garcia's friend, who wanted to remain anonymous, told the Daily News. "Later on they wouldn't leave her alone about it. They just kept bullying her and bullying her."

Detectives told the paper that they're in contact with at least two 17-year-old boys who allegedly took part in the bullying. The four football players involved in the story surrounding Garcia were also interviewed. They are between the ages of 15 and 16. Detectives said there aren't any charges pending.

Sara Brager, 16, told the Daily News that she heard Garcia's final words before she fell backward onto the tracks, directly in front of the train.
"Just before she fell, she said, 'Finally, it's here,'" Brager told the paper. "It was the most horrible thing I've ever seen."
:phone:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I feel sorry for this girl, but she didn't have to off herself in such a messy way. Sheesh.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Personally, she didn't have to off herself at all. Let's hope her extreme display will finally turn heads, if Amanda Todd's death hasn't done so already.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well yes of course I agree, I'm just saying on the assumption that one had to kill themselves... that method is incredibly messy and probably VERY troubling to anyone who sees the aftermath or anyone in her life that knows her hearing this.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think it's time teenagers need to start being punished by stricter law depending on the level of bullying they do, and what potential outcomes can come out of it. This is just terrible and ridiculous.

Yes it's up to the parents to raise their kids good, but even the best parents can't be around all the time to prevent kids from being influenced negatively.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I think parents are an extremely strong influence, and kids don't become bullies of that caliber unless their parenting lacks severely in some way. Ideally, the system should start holding parents accountable for their childrens' bullying, but I can't think of a way this would truly and effectively work in practice.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think parents are an extremely strong influence, and kids don't become bullies of that caliber unless their parenting lacks severely in some way.
I disagree, some kids are just ***holes no matter how much their parents love them, take care of them, and reinforce right from wrong.

Also the problem with most younger people and bullying is they're generally not very empathetic, and they don't have a real sense of consequence, neither do they even care about consequence if they do.

Perhaps the authority figures can nip things like bullying in the bud in an ideal world, but things like social rejection and outcasting will always be prevalent, and that's pretty emotionally torturous as well for most people.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I mean, one of the worst things that can happen by punishing the parents is that you leave the kids even more alone. Whether they end up at a foster home or at a relative, it's just not the same. If anything, punishing the kid will reinforce the parents to do a better job raising their kids, while the kids themselves should be well aware of what might happen if they go off on the deep end.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
R.I.P
I actually knew her, considering I attend the same school. She was one of those people you would never expect to do this. Sad. :/
That must have been a terrible thing; knowing someone just to find out they take their own lives because of the cruelty of others.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
All actions have repercussions. Instead of dealing with the consequences of flashing herself online, she took her own life.

Quite a waste.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, because dealing with that level of bullying at a young age is just something one can shrug off. She made a ton of mistakes along the way, but the fact remains is that the people around her are total losers who enjoyed bullying her in one way or another.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anonymous is a double-edged sword. Every now and then they do something great, like this. At the same time, they are also a cesspool that breeds intolerance, injustice, and insensitivity.
Isn't it ironic how Anonymous is partially formed out of noncomformity, but it can easily turn hypocritical at a blink of an eye?

I think the best way to describe Anonymous is Chaotic Neutral.

On the topic of bullying, what happened to Todd and Garcia is messed up. Along with the warped no snitching mentality of school kids, I don't get why harsher punishments aren't put onto the bullies. Yeah, send the victim to counseling. That'll fix everything.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Yeah, because dealing with that level of bullying at a young age is just something one can shrug off. She made a ton of mistakes along the way, but the fact remains is that the people around her are total losers who enjoyed bullying her in one way or another.
People make mistakes and get ridiculed all the time. I think it was more or less her making a bad decision and having repercussions follow, not necessarily long-term bullying for a course of action she couldn't help.

While flashing herself wasn't smart, that doesn't mean she deserved to be bullied.
It's unfortunate she took her own life, and yes, in a perfectly utopic society people won't judge and discriminate against others, but that is not a realistic goal.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I mean, one of the worst things that can happen by punishing the parents is that you leave the kids even more alone. Whether they end up at a foster home or at a relative, it's just not the same. If anything, punishing the kid will reinforce the parents to do a better job raising their kids, while the kids themselves should be well aware of what might happen if they go off on the deep end.
I think what they should do is give the parents are hefty fine. Once the parents start having to pay for their child mistakes, they'll start punishing their children for it. If the fine is high enough I imagine some parents would beat the **** out of their children as they deserve.

And what Teran said is right about kids having no fear of consequences, they should be punished more severely for bullying. It may not get through to this generation, but once it established that bullying well get your *** in jail then kids will stop doing it.

People make mistakes and get ridiculed all the time. I think it was more or less her making a bad decision and having repercussions follow, not necessarily long-term bullying for a course of action she couldn't help.
Obviously she had other choices, but the kids who bullied her should still be punished. Schools needs to start cracking down on kids over this ****. How many teens need to kill themselves before people start taking this more seriously.

Top Bottom