• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I think it's definitely a character pride thing but it seems to me that Falcon is the highest character on the tier list where most of the players that main him exclusively play him. Ganon is low enough that you have the 'low tier' mentality, the only reason why anyone plays low tier is for character pride or the challenge or something like that. Clearly not just to win.

I think it helps too, like S2J said, all of his matchups are surprisingly pretty even. He doesn't really hard counter anyone or is really hard countered by anyone (spacies come the closest though, obviously)
Ya sometimes those are correct reasons why someone would choose to play a certain character even if he's not as good as the top tiers but that is not the main point. I play Ganon because I love playing Ganon and it's with him I can bring out my best potential probably at least for now. If I were to choose another character, it would probably take years for me to be on the same level as I am now since playing different characters requires a different mindset for every single character. I mean that what you are trying to do or your gameplan has to change to some degree.

Shriek, ya well Ganon is definitely not a hunter he's a warlock or in my terms a warrior since he uses his fists. Hitting someone with combos is so ****ing good, best feeling ever. lol.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Well, I'm back here again. I took some time away from Falcon and slowed things down a bit with Samus/Icy's but something about Falcons speed and finesse always comes back to me. I kept him as a pocket character but I feel he deserves more. Still have yet to narrow down to one character.

I feel I have the speed and mindset to play as Falcon and actually compete at a higher level with him with enough practice. Will be posting videos soon in the video critique thread. I'm still catching back up on the "what leads to what" feeling.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
AAA(hold). It's a rhythm sorta thing. Timing between first 2 jabs should be as fast as possible. On the third press, you want to interrupt the rapid jabs with another input (dashing probably, although shielding and jumping/WD are other options) otherwise you'll need to hold the third A press an obscenely long time.

Really disappointed in my RoM showing. I had pulled a bunch of all nighters for school that week, and then stayed up all night to drive from Illinois to NJ the night before. Also already knew I wouldn't be able to attend day 2 because I had family johns. BUT NO JOHNS that's no excuse for me to not even take a match in pools. Definitely the hardest pool for a bubble player that I've ever had. Last place in your pool isn't even bubble anymore though :( A

Really looking forward to getting a job on the west coast and leveling up hard.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
What tips do you guys have for fighting shiek, I don't really know the MU besides the obvious stuff like up-throw combos.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
kevin, i watched some of your matches and i probably already mentioned this - you got way too complacent with constantly dairing shield vs Knut...imo you gotta take some breathers during matches to reevaluate things. wish i watched the vs smuckers set though, i feel like i could have given you more advice for that, or at least played my pika vs you for a bit.

on that note, we probably should have played after not seeing each other for so long .-. i feel like a big dummy for not doing so lol

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I like to do A, A, A+Hold R. I guess there are lots of ways.
If I think mu opponent will sheild the gentleman or if at really low %s, I do A, A, A (Hold)+ L. Mid percents I mix in trying to interupt with dash as s2j said is probably best for combos, and L (if it hits, I WD OoS)

Either way im finally pretty consistent and safe

:phone:

Windrose

Smash Lord
johnny, is d-throw --> knee on IC not guaranteed if they DI correctly? Scar told me this weekend it was not.

also, everyone is giving different directions on where to SDI with control stick and c-stick to get out of IC d-throw dair chain grabs. what directions do you di on your sticks when you face ICs?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
What are the most important things one should know (how to do) when maining Falcon?

Like which ATs are important and which aren't etc.

I gotta step up mah gaem

D

Deleted member

being able to punish successfully, 95% of falcons can't cover basic tech away/ tech in place/ tech towards + techs on plats

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
What are the most important things one should know (how to do) when maining Falcon?
Not really one specific thing

Have an idea as to how youre going to followup on a hit, assuming you get it, based on wha char youre playing against and what % theyre at, and be ready to do exactly that once you get the hit confirm. Or what to do to avoid dmg after you find out that you dont get the hit/hit the sheild. and then work on that during friendlies, so you dont have to think about it during real matches.

(one thing that comes to mind is work on doing and aerial and then work on dashing away/towards AS SOON AS you get the hit (whether it be on the sheild or hurtbox, or nothing, even) and land on the ground)

Falcon is a momentum based char that sometimes doesnt get many hits in (from neutral positions) during a stock. moreso than most chars, imo. This is why, once you do get a hit, you have to know the most effective (and safest. . . esp the safest the lower skill level you are) way to followup and hopefully put yourself in a good spot to finish the stock.

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman

Like which ATs are important and which aren't etc.

I gotta step up mah gaem
Punish heavily. Like, if you get a stomp, be able to follow up with a knee whenever it is possible. Be able to reverse the knee every time you want to. If they don't DI correctly near the ledge, be able to drop zone them on reaction. Basically, as posted above, you don't get that many openings as Falcon, so kill them everytime you can (really really important against spacies)

Zeallyx

Thanks for the replies everyone.

One more question: what are the best ways to approach with Falcon?

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
This might be a little funny to ask.. but does anyone have tips for playing against Link? I have no idea how to ledge guard him. Full hop double nair is pretty annoying. I get crouch cancelled a lot. I know this matchup is easy once you hit him, but I have a hard time closing stocks when I'm ahead.

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
2kneeornot2knee: It depends on your opponent's char. Vs. floaties spaced or fading nairs are good, but if you misspace you will get shieldgrabbed or cc'd and *****. This works great against spacies too, but their nair beats yours. Vs. spacies it is important to observe how they approach. Fh nair poops on falcon nair, but if you instant uair under them it's super good. Platform movement helps to mix things up and at midlevel play it's awesome. Knee can beat some careless stuff too. And possibly the most important could be run up, sheild or dash back. Vs floaties it can force an attack that hits your sheild for you to punish. Vs spacies you can get a dd grab which is mad good too.

My boy shriek: dthrow knee, uthrow knee/uairs/ when he reaches for the bomb rush him. You can hardly ever ledgehog so jua
st hitting him on his way down is your best bet.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Dash up next to them and shield or crouch (at low percents) to try and bait out a get up attack. WD OoS if they roll or just dash or SHFFL if you decided to try and CC. If they just wait it out you can empty hop and try to bait em into something and follow up.

Zeallyx

2kneeornot2knee: It depends on your opponent's char. Vs. floaties spaced or fading nairs are good, but if you misspace you will get shieldgrabbed or cc'd and *****. This works great against spacies too, but their nair beats yours. Vs. spacies it is important to observe how they approach. Fh nair poops on falcon nair, but if you instant uair under them it's super good. Platform movement helps to mix things up and at midlevel play it's awesome. Knee can beat some careless stuff too. And possibly the most important could be run up, sheild or dash back. Vs floaties it can force an attack that hits your sheild for you to punish. Vs spacies you can get a dd grab which is mad good too.

My boy shriek: dthrow knee, uthrow knee/uairs/ when he reaches for the bomb rush him. You can hardly ever ledgehog so jua
st hitting him on his way down is your best bet.

knee/not knee: **** **** up. Run away until they miss something then knee the **** out of them.
Thanks for the info, guys!

Top Bottom