• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick Conspiracy

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
A common problem is that you might have your C-stick pushed to a certain direction while starting the game. That direction will be set to the default center, so it seems like your C-stick is broken. Hold X, Y and Start for 3 seconds to reset your controller.

DarumaBlue

Smash Rookie
Hmm. Are there any threads that cover all the benefits of the C-stick in Brawl? I use it for absolutely nothing and suddenly feel very left out.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
It's commonly used very largely for quick smashes and aerial attacks, almost exclusively with some players, I'm sure. That was the case in Melee and not a whole lot has changed with the c-stick in Brawl, aside from this little not-going-to-neutral problem. One other new thing, however, is the ability to do tilts with the c-stick by pressing the same direction on the c-stick and the control stick. Lastly, I believe you can do angled smashes by holding up or down on the control stick as you side smash with the c-stick. I may not be remembering the exact technique correctly there.

Some use it for retreating specials, instead, commonly called "b-sticking." Retreating specials are possible without b-sticking, but it is considerably easier to do with b-sticking. The benefits of this vary by character, and the loss of your c-stick for the above tactics makes the dedication of the c-stick to special instead of smash is often questionable.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
A common problem is that you might have your C-stick pushed to a certain direction while starting the game. That direction will be set to the default center, so it seems like your C-stick is broken. Hold X, Y and Start for 3 seconds to reset your controller.
Wow really? I never thought of that I will no doubt give it a try I never knew GC Controllers could reset like that thanks for the advice!

Yangtze

Smash Rookie
well i have no problem, i put c stick smashes on the d pad for my wii mote and chuk configuration,. im fine w/ grabing w/ a and b. the d pad for c sticking works perfect ly fine.

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
I just thought of another possible factor in unresponsive c-sticking. Usually when my c-stick fails it's when I'm trying to do many attacks in a row (for whatever reason). Maybe Brawl has hidden lag, so to speak. It's still lagging after the move appears to have ended.

This idea is in congruence with the other ones, not an alternative, by the way.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
this has happened to me also, but I'm pretty sure that the theories regarding letting the c-stick return to the neutral position before using it again are true, as it only seems to cut out on me when I go bananas with ZSS's up smash :cool:

if you think about it, it fits right in with the discouragement of spamming that Brawl seems to employ: tripping on your *ss resulting from the over-usage of dashes & weakened damage/knockback from the over-usage of individual attacks. as a result, I think Brawl matches are going to get much more interesting to watch and to play

we just gotta take it eeeasy...

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Yeah LOL.
I noticed that too, you can't just flick the C-stick you have to mash it pretty roughly.
If you don't you will find yourself smashing a second later...
and therefore getting smashed by opponents.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
You think programmed the c-stick to not work sometimes. It might be like tripping....or maybe it's just a tiny glitch?

Arsenic

Smash Rookie
I don't think I've ever experienced this while playing offline, but online, it's a different story. It seems like whenever I hit the c-stick at the right time, my move comes early, but when I do it in advance, the move occurs on time. Occasionally (though it seems to be mostly lag-induced), it won't work altogether.

Similar stuff happens with my shields while playing online. I'm usually good at blocking projectiles (I have to be, I main Marth), but I always get hit by them online, even if I know I'm inputting the R/L at the right time. Air dodging shows similar problems.

I dunno. I get pretty bummed out when I read threads like this, how the game seems to purposefully make it harder on Melee veterans (tripping, GC controller issues). I'm not one of those OMG liEK BrAWL SUX NO WaVeDASHING people, but this is none too amusing.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I have the best solution to the c-stick problem. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Whenever you attack with the c-stick you have to let it go back into the normal position before using it again. It can't lean over to a side, if you get what I'm saying. Works with my controller all the time. I can nail continous smashes.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
I have the best solution to the c-stick problem. Tell me if I'm wrong.
Whenever you attack with the c-stick you have to let it go back into the normal position before using it again. It can't lean over to a side, if you get what I'm saying. Works with my controller all the time. I can nail continous smashes.
Yea from doing that my c-stick works more often but at times there is still a margin of error

Froth

Smash Journeyman
I use Zamus, and I can quickly hit the d-smash. I've never had a problem with her, maybe it's other characters. Hasn't happened with Marth to me, either. Maybe it's just how I play.

Weed

Smash Lord
I resent that. lawl

But seriously, I hate this new C-stick ********.. what am I supposed to use as an excuse when I lose because I couldn't deal the final blow?

"Sorry, my controller just decided not to work at that particular moment, the entire match is now invalid :) have a nice day!"

And I don't just flick around like a ******, I'll run, shield, grab, throw, and then go for a smash..and then my character is left standing blank, it's ********.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
This might be a little off topic but for starters,I havent had a problem with the c-stick smashes at all.Whats been getting on my nerves is dashing.Yes,I think the same problem exist in dashes too.Iam not sure if you have to hit the left/right stick more accurate than in Melee,but sometimes when I dash with Mario(particularly in a RAR),after the rush,he wont dash sometimes.And to top it all off,its a brand new controller "Offical GC". WtfBBQ sauce :embarrass

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Okay, so it sounds like the stick needs to return to the neutral position before I can smash with it again...

Whew! I thought my poor Robby was doomed. I need those C stick down smashes! =P

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so it sounds like the stick needs to return to the neutral position before I can smash with it again...

Whew! I thought my poor Robby was doomed. I need those C stick down smashes! =P
Yeah, exactly. :)

Top Bottom