• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick necessary?

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
I've heard people use it for shffling and for aerial moves without DI (moving forward while doing a bair), but is it all that necessary? I've been practicing shffls without it, hell I've not been using it at all.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
It's all down to personal preference, although I strongly advise that you use the C-stick.
i agree with this. sometimes it is difficult to get to the c-stick, but its a pretty good habit. the main uses would probably be shffl'ing uairs easier without worrying about midair jumping, and i also find it easier to use the dair and fast fall after or before it if i use the cstick. it is also helpful for shine -> aerial, but it IS possible to do that without the c-stick.

halu102

Smash Apprentice
c-stick is great for spacing aerials. Also good for DI and buffering things like dodges and obviously smashes.

luigidude90

Smash Apprentice
i only use the c-stick if i want to quickly use a smash move or a d-air otherwise i end up fastfalling.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
The c-stick basically makes it easier to fast fall when you want to because control of the attack is separate from the ff. Without the c-stick ff and attack at the exact same time is impossible.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you have trouble getting your thumb to C fast enough for combo realsons, try using Z. otherwise, C is great because it's easier to control your motion. btw, Everyone above: You aren't DIing unless you're hit. get the term right. it's important.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
If you have trouble getting your thumb to C fast enough for combo realsons, try using Z. otherwise, C is great because it's easier to control your motion. btw, Everyone above: You aren't DIing unless you're hit. get the term right. it's important.
Actually I think you're the one getting it wrong. I'm pretty sure there are 3 types of DI, one of which is the one you're talking about, which effects the trajectory you're sent at. The others are the one everyone else was saying, which moves you in the air, and the final is smash DI which is too complicated for me to explain. I tried to find the DI guide that I read that has this in it, but the search function on here is lackluster... oh well. I think they're accurate in calling it DI back while f-air'ing or whatever.

pchoo

Smash Cadet
:S
They're right, DI is directional influence of any kind... though the original poster should have said "for shffling and for aerial moves without MESSING UP DI (moving forward while doing a bair)" since that forward moving part is DI... unless you're not holding forward and just being carried by your momentum forward... in which case I guess you don't need the "messing up" DI part.

falco freak

Smash Journeyman
i think c-stick is pretty much necesary for pillaring. i mean im sure people do it w/out the c-stick but i think its much easier. and i can move my thumb down to the c-stick fast enough. its not that hard.

saberhof

Smash Master
you need it for pillaring, unless your very skilled with the control stick :S...i only use it for the down air or smashes cause when i use the A i tend to hold it and i get grabbed.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Shine > Instant aerials are a lot easier with the c-stick, I think.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm still trying to get used to using c-stick for my aerials. Though I think going from the X button to A button is somewhat easier, the c-stick is a lot more precise. Sometimes when I used A to attack someone, I end up doing an fAir which really isn't effectinve when I'm going for a dAir.
C-stick is pretty useful for Falco. Does take a little getting used to.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
The C-stick is supposed to be very helpful, but I don't use it because it messes me up, and I'm used to the way I fight now. I've tried to use it once when I was practicing throwing a bomb while DI'ing backwards. Turns out I do it better without it. It's really up to you. Maybe I should've tried harder...too confusing for my little brain.

Top Bottom