• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick or A-button?

NintendoNerd

Smash Rookie
This is my first topic, sorry if I do or say something wrong.

Hi, I was wondering, what do you think what's the best way of control use?
With the C-stick or with the A-button.
I use the A-button myself, but a friend of mine told I should learn to use the c-stick.
What do you think?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I would recommend learning to use the c-stick. I say this knowing that DrPP does NOT use c-stick. There is just no way that you can (consistently) get the full distance of a backwards jump and do a fair without the c-stick, for example (using A, you would have to hit forward on the control stick, which would reduce the distance off your backwards jump unless you are fast as absolute F***). It really just depends on what feels right and fits your style if play best.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
C-stick give you a nice degree of freedom for moving your character around while doing an aerial like ACE said.

If you're new to the game you should visit the sticky topics in this board to get information. There are plenty of people that would love to help.

fusionnoble

Smash Cadet
I use c-stick for the same reasons they listed^

But for nairs, and when i need to do a uair right after a jump, i use a

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
Back in my n00by days, my smashing buddies and I considered the c-stick to be "cheap" and "un-skillful," so I never used it, and now I'm just not used to it. Even without the c-stick, I'm pretty good at retreating fairs and advancing bairs and such, but I admit that it's probably better to use the c-stick. Up to you, though.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Use the C-stick for everything. If you need Up air out of shield you might want to learn to use A or Z.

Neutral airing can be cone with either A or Z. (Recommend A since Z might make you jumpcancel grab unwanted)

I use everything tho. Mainly C-stick, but for Up air out of shield I use Z.
I also use Z for back air out of shield.
As I play falcon I do alot of knees ;D which I do with A sometimes.

It totally depends on the situation and position.

The reason I use Z is that its the attack button that you can press the quickest after having to jump. Using it out of shield gets those hitboxes up as soon as possible.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Depends on what you're trying to do. GL trying to shff uair's with DK using control stick + a, and good luck on your fingers when you're spamming bairs using nothing but C-stick.

I alternate between them frequently. But I definitely c-stick all of my nairs.

BEES

Smash Lord
depends on the character and the attack

A - bair, fair, nair (dair for characters with snappy dair animations like Falco)
C - uair (dair for characters with long animations like Falcon)

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
c-stick helps you dair spike without fast falling, uair without 2nd jump, fair/bair while moving in the other direction, roll and spot dodge without moving your shield off your character first, buffer spot dodges and rolls, smash without wasting time charging for a split second, etc. I can't think of a time when A would be better, unless you're considering that you can move your finger from x/y to A faster, but in that case you could just use Z. I pretty much always use the C-stick for smashes and rolling and aerials.

That being said, there was a topic like this a while back and Mango posted in it saying he only used the A button for aerials O.o I was in disbelief since I pretty much need to use the C-stick to space with jiggs when I play her so I can control aerial movement and attacks separately but... I guess Mango can do what he wants. He's freaking Mango.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Back in my n00by days, my smashing buddies and I considered the c-stick to be "cheap" and "un-skillful," so I never used it, and now I'm just not used to it. Even without the c-stick, I'm pretty good at retreating fairs and advancing bairs and such, but I admit that it's probably better to use the c-stick. Up to you, though.
Exact same story here. I use A for all of my aerials. Now I'm just used to it, sometimes I forget everyone else c-sticks lol. I can do everything you can do with the stick- without it, very fast, and consistent (I main Falco). The hardest things with the spacies have to do with b anyways. I do use c-stick to buffer rolls and such though.

Do whatever you are comfortable with, but if you're not used to anything, than c-stick would be a good idea (It is easier). Like slartibartfast42 said- there is no reason not to.

now people who only tap jump... they're freaks!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
apart from aerials, heres a fun fact about why i would choose a over c stick or vice versa:

as ic's who have a long sliding wavedash, most of the time i would want to use c-stick when i wavesmash

but if i want to charge, i use A!

also... when you wd and charge an fsmash using A, it stops ur momentum!!!

Bing

Smash Master
I use A because I never knew the c-stick was any use except for tilting the character and stage select screens... then I figured out it did have a use, so I smash with it, but thats it...

rhan

Smash Hero
Depends on what you're trying to do. GL trying to shff uair's with DK using control stick + a, and good luck on your fingers when you're spamming bairs using nothing but C-stick.

I alternate between them frequently. But I definitely c-stick all of my nairs.
You gotta be hella pro to c-stick nairs...

mcem222

Smash Rookie
I keep the tip of my thumb on y and the joint on A, so I can press y and a without moving anything. I'm in constant debate about whether to use the c-stick. I can't single jump uair without it, and I find it much easier to shuffle dairs with it. For f-air and b-air, it depends on the character. C-stick gives more control, but I have to take my finger off of y which sometimes slows me down

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
Falco is very easy to play well without the c-stick. i think relying on your left thumb actually gives you more control over your character. if you want to do u-air use the c-stick. if you are captain falcon u probably want to use the c-stick when you do a retreating knee or u-air. and also try not using x or y. only using the stick with spacies is good for techskill cause it makes shine turn arounds and jump cancels easier. it truly depends on the character but u almost always want to use a combination. try fighting someone in training mode to be foreed to forgo the c-stick

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Both. Depends lot on character, but generally this: Quick rising -> use A. When falling -> use stick. U could also consider using z sometimes. I have heard some people use it when doing quick aerials out of shield.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Use the C-stick for everything. If you need Up air out of shield you might want to learn to use A or Z.

Neutral airing can be cone with either A or Z. (Recommend A since Z might make you jumpcancel grab unwanted)

I use everything tho. Mainly C-stick, but for Up air out of shield I use Z.
I also use Z for back air out of shield.
As I play falcon I do alot of knees ;D which I do with A sometimes.

It totally depends on the situation and position.

The reason I use Z is that its the attack button that you can press the quickest after having to jump. Using it out of shield gets those hitboxes up as soon as possible.

I use Z sometimes and Cstick some times. Sometimes you don't want to attack early, so you use Cstick. You want a quick attack, Z. : ]

Anyways, you should try to use Cstick, but don't create the habit of smashing too much with it. But do use it for smashes, loool. Especially if your peach.

I try to use it also for Di-ing but sometimes I fair off the stage because of it and I die and rage. : [ lol.

UltimateHaxor123

Smash Apprentice
when i started out as a beginner, i always used the c stick.

when using aerials, its easier (i main marth) to move backwards and fair at the same time. Plus using the cstick basically freed up ur movement options. For smashes, it was hard for me to simultaneously press the a and direction button consistently so i just used the c stick.

as i got better, i began to use the a button for smashes because they allow more control over the timing and u can get a little more dmg in

Top Bottom