• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Sticking for Aerials

g5tran

Smash Rookie
Are there any experienced marth players that could offer me advice on how to space aerials? I currently do aerials with A+Direction, but doing the Fair usually sends marth in farther than I usually want. I play with a classic controller though so I have jump and the c-stick on the same side(I've tried jumping with the shoulder buttons on the other side but the classic controller shoulder buttons make it really hard to short hop).

So to sum up, should I be spacing aerials with A+direction or with the c-stick?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Doesn't matter, either works...In Melee I did it using C-Stick. In Brawl, I still use C-Stick. I would go with C-Stick, since it's easier to control DI using it, and it's easier to do in Brawl, however you'll probably get a bunch of replies like "It's your own preference." Which is probably true.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
It's definitely easier to space yourself if you use the c-stick. Especially for fairs in place and retreating fairs.

KaosKun

Smash Cadet
I generally only use a +direction on my dair because its quicker for me to cancel the thrust of the dair that way. Other wise c sticking to set up combos with fairs on stage is good. off the stage your call just fast fall

~Rezzoun (SFO)

bobknob

Smash Cadet
definitive method:

use A if you're doing an attack immediately after jumping, and use C-stick if you're already in the air

i.e. if you're doing a SH dbl f-air, you would do the first attack with A and the second one with c-stick.

you can control your momentum and attack at the same time using c-stick, but you can't immediately attack out of a SH w/ cstick unless you have grotesque hands

g5tran

Smash Rookie
yea using the c-stick while already in the air makes sense. Is this any different on a gamecube controller? or does this advice just pertain to the classic controller setup i'm using?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Backlash is right. The gamecube controller makes playing a lot easier.

C-sticking aerials is the best way to go. The only aerial I don't c-stick is the n-air which I can't c-stick. C-sticking allows for correctly spacing your f-airs in particular to tip with them and get the desired knockback. Furthermore, the b-air is great for edgeguarding. Why not make sure you hit with its tip to KO someone rather than hit with the middle and have to keep edgeguarding and give them a chance to recover? See what I mean? Using the control stick for DI is best as you can use retreating f-airs to create distance between you and your opponent without letting them get too close.

I don't know what else you're confused about, though.

Edit: Sweet, just made Journeyman ;D

∫unk

Smash Master
Um.. I use the A button for neutral air. Sometimes C-stick for buffer system sexyness.

It honestly doesn't matter. But I like having neutral air on command. It lasts longer than an airdodge which is crucial in brawl.

Smash Apprentice
I use the A button, but only because I spent a lot of time learning how to space it well. I prefer it, and have gotten so that I can control them pretty well. I can certainly see using the c-stick, but the A button is faster.

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
Personally i prefer c-sticking my aerials and as stated several times before it's much easier for me to do stuff like sh f-airs DI'ed back using the c-stick...plus i learned playing melee marth with c-stick so using A button for my aerials would hurt my head anyway o_O

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
me, no c-stick unless im d-airing, but c-stick DEFINITELY helps for retreating fairs. More horizontal movement away from opp.

besides that, i find you can do aerials really fast and reliably by shorthoping with x and sliding your thumb to the a button. It one fluid motion that feels good to your thumb, imo. this was not very easy in melee, but in brawl, with input buffering, it works great! :p

g5tran

Smash Rookie
Cool thanks for the input everyone. I'm definitely trying to get used to c-sticking in the air, but to clarify, you all have your jump button on the right side of the controller right? I only have a problem with c-sticking because using the c-stick breaks normal hand-controller posture with my right hand:. If not, I might end up getting a gamecube controller :laugh:.

Also, I've seen Marth's spacing game in videos(mostly dragos) where he just short hops in place and does fairs, and I'm assuming unless he has godlike fingers, he's jumping with the other hand. Can anyone confirm this? It looks like a technique to pick up.

Thanks again!

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Yes the jump is on the right hand. You should get a gamecube controller since it is just overall more practical than the others (super smash bros. was tailored around solid controllers). For the other controllers, I don't know where the jump should be (i personally dislike the c buttion jump for the nunchuck). Its best to keep most button presses on the right hand so you can move your character with precision using your left hand (shielding is an exception tho).

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
I tend to use the Control Stick because I can retreat fair just fine even with it - I use the C-stick on the second fair though so it goes straight into an fsmash as opposed to an ftilt.

Top Bottom