• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can CPU's Teach You Anything (v2)

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Hi folks,
It's been about a year since I've visited here before (Was referred to it through SRK where I used to hang out during my SF4 days) and given my 'situation' (will explain below) I made an old thread asking if CPU could teach a player anything. The thread led to heated debate while I went AWOL, to which it eventually got locked.

For a bit of history, Brawl was LONG on the circuit before I had the chance to play it (And I had never played Smash OR Brawl until that point). Sadly, the only way I DID manage to eventually have the opportunity to try it was through using Dolphin Emulator on the PC using a loaned copy ((And yes, with a KEYBOARD - Ugh!)). This was great for allowing me to record games - But obviously terrible as it means I have never, and probably can never, play against other actual 'people'.

So, as you can imagine, my world of Brawl consists of playing against 1-2-3 Lev9 CPU if not story mode - I don't mind this because I love popping on Brawl once a week just to dunk CPU's with my favourite character, Bowser.

At the time of the old thread, I posted my first Brawl video (Since deleted) and as you can imagine, a noob playing CPU's isn't going to be very interesting for experienced players to watch, so I try not to take it too seriously given limitations.

However, my old question now still stands - Assuming I wanted to get into the upcoming game in the future, would CPU's have taught me anything useful for the future? Or would it have given me nothing but bad habits and/or experience with 'scripted' characters with inhumane reactions etc? How do you class playing against CPUs? Bit of fun? Worth using to learn X or Y? Completely pointless?

I don't want to embarrass myself too much by posting videos as they're all quite happy to point myself out as a noob and are just to spice up my channel with different content. I certainly wouldn't ask for critique as that'd be pointless in my situation, though I'd like to think I got even a 'little' better (even with CPUs) compared to how I was when I first arrived here - But I'm still terribad, as you would expect without 'player' experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4El-T0TPfi4

Failing the above, just wanted to try and get some sort of return to these Forums. I may not get to play the game in it's true form - But I'd like to think it's made me enjoy it enough to consider investing in the future and maybe trying to play properly... But maybe I'm too far gone into bad-habit CPU nonsense.

Anyhow, apologies for the wall of text!

Any/All views & opinions welcome!

Last edited:

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
CPU's can definetly give players bad habits, for example, they air dodge after being hit.... always, sometimes CPU's just won't do anything. I've nailed Captain Falcon melee style combo's on a lvl 9 MK, Uair twice followed by a knee, that would NEVER work on a player.

I tend to try grab releases and such on CPU's from time to time, or practice my tech skill with the help of a CPU. It's not optimal, playing against humans is of course, 100000 times better, but if the CPU is all ya got at that moment, why not!?

Last edited:

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
Well that's how I try to view it - I mean, by the time I'd get to play other players, the newer game will be out (likely) so I see it as a way to keep me interested until that point, then maybe getting involved (human-wise) at that point - So I've reduced myself to acknowledging SSBB as basically a fun way to pass time between other games... I'd take it seriously if I could play other people of course, same way I did SF4 - Even if I played casually, I'd still learn a lot more from those games vs people than I ever would CPU - But still, I'd like to think all that time 'having fun' against CPU could maybe have taught me a few things despite that fact - Surely it's not 'entirely' useless... I first got interested in it from watching YouTube videos of high level play, tournies or just known players showing their dance-moves - Then try practice some of those things vs the CPU.

Again, being stuck with CPU means I couldn't really learn any super in-depth details and, hell, I have never unlocked all the characters either - But SF4 keeps me mindful of the general things like spacing, tech, footsies etc etc But again, being stuck with CPU throws a lot of that out the window when they gang up 2-3 v 1 with their inhumane reaction scrips and weird antics, makes it harder to really learn.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Consider the CPU a moving sandbag. You can just hit him and improve your control over your character. Don't try to outplay the CPU.

Top Bottom