• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can music really change how you Melee?

X1-12

Smash Champion
For the past 6 months or so i've been playing smash with the sound options changed so there'e no music (sorry guys) but just sounds, then playing some music from my CD player at the same time so i can still hear whats going on in game but listen to some awesome music at the same time.

But more to the point. As the title states can music really change how you smash? I'm sure when I listen to Things like Daft Punk I get into a swing of just abusing smash shots and spikes (I play Marth + Falco). And the same this happens when I listen to some heavy stuff like Arch Enemy or Children of Bodom. Funnily enough, light music like Greenday or R.E.M don't really seem to change the way I smash

so guys? any of you had the same kinda thing? any ideas/explanations?

Overload

Smash Lord
I might start playing with music off. I kind of like it. Also, sometimes while playing on Dreamland I have the urge to sync my actions up with the music.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I like listening to relaxing music when I play Smash. That, the game music, or nothing at all. I currently have just sounds on my GC. I think I like it that way.

fullynick

Smash Apprentice
the best i ever played at melee was when i had the beatles playing loudly in our house

everything was just amazing and i felt like i was playing rhythmically

X1-12

Smash Champion
what? lol
in all seriousness music can help a lot

I'm sure when I listen to Things like Daft Punk I get into a swing of just abusing smash shots
Smash shots -> Smash attacks (like side smash, up smash etc) I dunno if that's a real term but all my friends use it and I guess it kinda catches on

and also thanks for the Beatles suggestion, thier Abbey Road album is awesome to smash to

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
Yeah, I play my personal muisc with the in-game sounds. Every song makes for a totally different battle. And I also love ending the match on time with the song, and ending combos at the climax of choruses/verses. Music + Smash = Raaaaaaaaaape.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Believe it or not...I disliked techno music. However I listened to it during a smash match and noticed at times the Rhythm synced with Lasering. Long story short Techno helped me learn to SHL with Fox and Falco.

L__

Smash Master
^

not really

anyways

I only listen to music during tournaments so I can block people out

KillaLotus

Smash Cadet
I've never listen 2 other music while playing smash however when me and my brother play we tend 2 rap the H2YL rap

but FoD music is beast enough

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
I've played with music when I played as ice climbers and was figuring out wavedashing. I got tired of hearing "boing-e-boing-e-boing-e-boing" over and over again. I never even thought of turning the music off while playing a CD, just played a CD over everything *smacks head*.

I just started getting into the beatles, and I think playing along with Abbey Road WOULD work really well, I'll try it next time I play

Johnny Fawkes

Smash Rookie
Music will affect the human psyche but the outcomes are difficult to predict because musicology is silly. Personally I tend to find music distracting but since I never play very seriously I'd still prefer to have music just for the sake of breaking the monotony. Plus it gives a tasty bit of dramatic-ness to gameplay.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I prefer to not use music other than the normal game music, because after a while your mind would get dependant on music in order to do good. In the end it works alot better to train your mind to play melee with minimum outside reliance, because if you rely too much on outside influence, you'll do bad the moment you step into an unfamiliar atmosphere for a tournament, as your brain would have to connect the new surroundings to the particular state of mind you get when you play smash with familiar surroundings.
Same concept applies with food and energy drinks.

X1-12

Smash Champion
well i dunno, maybe if there was a big crescendo and just at that bit you were gonna do a smash or knee or something to finish the music might give it away to your opponent but it seems kinda unlikely

DarkMagicX2

The Worst Ganondorf Ever
NNID
DarkMagicX2
3DS FC
5386-7375-0560
Music does change the way you play. Usually not by much, but I've noticed my Ganon is considerably better when I crank up some heavy metal.

External music sort of sets a different tone for the game which makes you think differently. Especially when you're listening to fast pased music as opposed to the nomally slow and calm music of the game.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think Changing how you play depends on the type of music. Sometimes Hype music can actually make you less patient. When that favorite part of W/e song is on you can't help but want to rage **** someone up. Sometimes it can be successful or it can lead to your doom.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
Something that isn't slow paced, or similar. It really all depends on your favorite genre of music. I have varied choices on my favorite music, so I can't really give an example.:ohwell:

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think it depends in the person, but if I listen to music that I like, I play REALLY horribly. I subconsciously try to do things to the beat and dumb things like that.

Veggiez

Smash Apprentice
Indestructible by Disturbed is like...you think you're never going to get hit and you focus your mind on that and woah...you just might be able to do so!

X1-12

Smash Champion
Seriously guys, System of a Down, best smash music ever

even if you don't usually like heavy metal and stuff, try it when your playing smash its awesome

By-Tor

Smash Cadet
Indestructible by Disturbed is like...you think you're never going to get hit and you focus your mind on that and woah...you just might be able to do so!
seriously, also try "the curse" on the same album

R.I.Y.P.

Smash Cadet
I find that fast paced music helps me concentrate better while smashing, as everything feels more smooth and I think of strategies and counter strategies faster. As for the best type of music, it really depends on your favorite genre and also what character you play to an extent. Fox, falco, and falcon players would probably listen to faster music, than say a peach or jiggs player would.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I love listening to jazz while smashing. It's sort of become 'my thing'. Although I don't know too many who feel the same way, so I usually just keep it on while practicing tech skill.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
I love listening to jazz while smashing. It's sort of become 'my thing'. Although I don't know too many who feel the same way, so I usually just keep it on while practicing tech skill.
I tried listening to Vince Guaraldi when I was practicing yesterday, and it was awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8iVEAnfK8

^ This one was my favourite. Extra points if you know what it's from.

G U R U

Smash Lord
I actually play worse if I can't hear the smash sounds. I'm so attuned to it, if it gets blocked off by music its like playing blind to me.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I prefer some sort of music, whether it be the game music, or my friend's ipod game remixes =D

And I NEED the sound. Well not need, but I like it. =D

Top Bottom