• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can some vets help me out please?

dorsman

Smash Rookie
Hey fellas. So ive been a smash player since N64 and Im trying to get back into these games. When I first heard of brawl and the fact that it had online I couldnt wait for it. The problem was as many people found out the lag was horrible when the game came out. I eventually gave up on it and put in on a shelf. Recently I took it back out and started trying to research if it had gotten any better. I played a "with anyone" match yesterday and the lag was awful. I did more research and saw some people saying "open these ports" and "do this manual setting on the wii" but I think those guides were for people who were having problems connecting to someone. I have a full bar internet connection on the wii and it sits right next to my router. I read some people's posts that said the only way to play serious online in this game is to trade friend codes with other people that have solid internet connections because if you play with people in a "with anyone" situation the slowest connection governs the speed of the match. Can you all give your opinion on this since obviously you all still play the game? Do I need some of your friend codes? I am a decent player and I want to get back into competitive playing so I would love to hear how to fix my problem. I tried opening the ports and changing internet settings by my router makes it kind of complicated and I gave up. Like I said I have a full speed connections according to the wii. Oh and when I play with my friend (both of us with full speed connections, we both have screen lag. You know when you hit a button and there is a delay) Thanks.

anyone? am i too late and now hated for asking old ****?

AeroFalcon

Smash Rookie
I can play matches online with Anyone without any lag, but some games are laggy too. From my experience, it depend on who you play with. If you're constantly having laggy games, maybe it's your internet connection, because I don't know what else it could be.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
If someones on the internet while your playing then maybe thats it. If everything is normal and uninterrupted, it has to be your friend.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Don't play "With anyone" matches (aka Basic Brawls). They're full of taunt parties and noobs. Going to tourneys are naturally the best for getting better, but you can also do wifi matches, just not Basic Brawls.

Macmaster4k2

Smash Rookie
i think it varies from where you live. if you live in a heavily populated area, you shouldnt experience any lag due to the fact of more people are playing the game close to you and thus less distance the game data needs to travel. if you live in a less populated area you will experience more lag because you would more likely play with players who are father away and so the game data needs to travel a farther distance.

Edit: also i think when when you play with anyone, you might end up playing someone from a different country. correct me if im wrong.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Playing with anyone is enough to give you some experience, high or low, it's still experience. Going to tourneys are really the best thing possible, if you can't, there is also Wi-Fi. I highly suggest mainly Wi-Fi battles with friends, since you'll know that you're playing with someone who is good and can fight, and you can ask if they have a good connection.

With Anyone is more riskier, there is still a chance to find someone good, but it's low. And it's mostly taunt parties (which I don't mind :p) Whilst playing Basic Brawl, I don't really go into laggy fights, from what you are saying; you go through this often. So it might be something with your connection, or you just have BAD luck. You might want to investigate more.

Top Bottom