• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone explain to me the definition of "Playing the game like Melee"?

miller483

Smash Ace
For a long time now I've seen many threads regarding the change from Melee to Brawl. One phrase I hear alot is "stop playing the game like it's Melee."

This has me curious. When people say that, do they mean stop doing advanced techs? Or to try using different strategies with a character?

This has me confused mainly due to the fact that a lot of Melee techniques such as mindgames and spacing, still apply to Brawl. Can someone help me out here?

El Cancel

Smash Journeyman
example: fox shine.

why do people do this if they can't cancel it into anything?

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
"Playing the game like melee":

An argument used by those who disagree with the logical ideas proposed by experienced melee players who may or may not have played Brawl.
Experienced Smasher: Items should be turned off in tournaments because they add a factor of luck and randomness to the game.
Noob: ITEMS ARE THE BOMB STOP TRYING TO PLAY THE GAME LIKE IT'S MELEE.

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
This is somewhat confusing to me, as well.

I basically figured that it meant "Stop using Melee strategies, since Brawl is a brand-new game." Things like Falco trying to SHL I can understand, edgehogging to an extent as well. But honestly, wouldn't you think that trying Melee strategies and adapting them to Brawl would result in better gameplay than trying to avoid using Melee strategies at all?

You would think that the first thing someone would do in a sequel to a fighting game is figure out which of the previous game's strategies and techniques are still effective, which can be adapted to become effective, and which no longer apply. When you think about it, Brawl is still Smash, just like Melee is. You can't expect people to throw out all of their previous strategies just because it's a different game. I mean, it's not like they're going from Melee to Counterstrike or something.

Bottom line: No, people shouldn't rely on Melee strategies working; Brawl does work quite differently. However, people trying Melee strategies and improving and adapting them is perfectly fine, and to be expected, wouldn't you think?

Rash

Smash Ace
The game is slower and floatier than Melee at first. It's also smoother. The physics are different. If you try to play it in the exact same way that you played Melee, you'll have a harder time adapting because such small tweaks can have a huge effect. Characters move differently. It's easier to recover to the stage. Getting KOs sometimes takes longer. Etc.

It's not necessarily about the advanced techniques. It's just about contouring to the forced new play styles brought on by both tweaked characters and altered physics.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I think it's also some things that people try to when they first get the game. They try to short hop their aerials and whiff right over their opponents because they expect melee timing, they fail to space their aerials because they're used to l-canceling, they don't have edgeguard timing down because floatiness has goofed their senses up, they start the edgehog way before they should and waste their invincibility frames...

My impression is "Don't play Brawl like it's Melee" is supposed to imply that whoever is complaining hasn't realized that he'll have to change the way he does things. Not that he has to throw out stuff like edgeguarding entirely, but they he'll have to edgeguard really differently.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Ugh... items have nothing to do with "playing it like Melee".

"Stop playing it like Melee" isn't telling people to stop playing like the tourney***s they are.

It's telling people to realize this is a new game, and that the gameplay is completely different. The balances are different. Some attacks are different. Wavedashing is gone, certain combos and tricks are not able to be performed, you can't edgeguard the same way.

Basically, it's used when people are trying to do things they did in Melee, that you can't do anymore in Brawl, or you have to do them differently in Brawl. And the speed and aerial gameplay is different, but people are trying to do things like they did for the last 6 years. And since they are unwilling to accept that it is not the same as Melee, they are "playing the game like Melee", which is playing it wrong and will most likely make you suck at it, and this is making some people say the game sucks. Simply because they are trying to play like it is a 6 year old gameplay system that has been completely revamped in most aspects.

Some people prefer to play the Heavy Brawl (under Special Brawl) which is also called "High Gravity". It makes the speed and some of the aerial gameplay similar to Melee, but it also changes the balance and completely disjoints it for a lot of characters, who were balanced for normal play, and not Heavy Brawl, since that is used for fun, not normal gameplay. As such, this is a way people try to justify their playing it "like Melee".

Mama

Smash Ace
There are a lot of people who use this and mean a lot of different things. If anyone is going to plug that in their argument they need an explanation. When I say it I generally refer to people's woes and/or impressions.

People talk about Brawl like its dumbed down or over simplified and they back it up by citing things like the lack of L-canceling and length of matches. However these things existed in Melee. They never existed in Brawl. We used them in Melee because they existed. In Brawl they are absent therefore we can't use them or act like we used to and now can't. Its not like things were there then removed. People are acting as though these things disappeared from Melee. But Brawl is something different and thats what I, Mama, mean when I say anything like "stop playing it like Melee" or "Melee mentality"

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
For a long time now I've seen many threads regarding the change from Melee to Brawl. One phrase I hear alot is "stop playing the game like it's Melee."

This has me curious. When people say that, do they mean stop doing advanced techs? Or to try using different strategies with a character?

This has me confused mainly due to the fact that a lot of Melee techniques such as mindgames and spacing, still apply to Brawl. Can someone help me out here?
Mindgames and spacing are fighting game techniques, in no way specific to Melee. The main point is that people want to stop hearing about how Brawl sucks because it's slower, there's no wavedashing, tripping, etc.

Top Bottom