• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone help a noob?

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm pretty new to super smash bros (new as in today :d). I've played it before, but I have never tried to play it seriously like alot of you guys do.

I've decided that im going to try to play as mario for now. Is this a good idea for an absolute beginner? If its a bad idea, what character should I start out with?

Also, are there any guides for playing as mario, or any guides intended for beginners? I tried playing online earlier and I got stomped quite a bit. If there aren't any guides, it would be nice if someone could explain general gameplay to me or something.

As well as this, I have a specific question:

Alot of the times I played, vs DK and ness and such, they would toss me off the ledge and then they would jump into the air and kick me down, and i would fall off the stage extremely fast. Does mario have a similar type move to this?

Also, sorry for asking so much stuff at once, but are there any IRC channels related to this game? I use IRC everyday (For team fortress classic 4v4 matches >:D) and would like to know the names of IRC channels related to Super Smash. Are there any channels that are used to organized netplay games, for example? The only channel I could find through google was #sw (smash wiki) on gamesurge.

Thanks!

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Hey! Always good to have new players :)

Pretty much all characters are good to start out with. Mario is quite fast and moderately easy to play with so you've definitely made a good choice.

What you have to learn how to do is z-cancel and tech roll. These techniques are essential for any decent smash bros player. Look at the index and it should all be there.

The downward hitting move you're thinking of is called dair (down air) and is usually referred to as a spike. Mario doesn't technically have one but if you use Mario's dair it can drill most other characters down far enough so they can't recover.

Keep practicing and you'll be great in no time!

:phone:

M!nt

Smash Champion
^ ninja :mad:

Hi :3c

Mario's not a bad character to start as, any character you catch a liking to is fine. He's pretty well balanced so it's not too hard to get a start into things.

Mario doesn't have a spike, well he does if you include the down b thing, but that's not really something you should rely on. You don't have to spike people when they are off stage just work on edgeguarding with fair, dair, down smash , or whatever. nair works pretty good too.

The first thing you really need to get down is z canceling, make that a top priority. you become a ton better once you have this down. Also use fireballs a lot, they work great to help catch people off guard and help with spacing, I think they are the best thing about mario.

I think there's a couple groups somewhere, I don't know though, i'm not in any of them. I just go to galaxy when i want to play. Someone might post the active groups, but idk.

Anyway just have a look over this and just play a lot, the more you play the better you get. You're always gonna get beat so just take what you did wrong and look for ways to improve.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
to add, i have never seen people on this forum talk about irc, mainly aim/msn/skype/facebook group, but who knows, maybe a secret irc group only ISAI AND THE FOUR GUARDIANS can access exists

mario can d-air an opponent repeatedly, then jump and up-b to safety - it's not quite the same as a ness or samus spike, but it's quite effective as well

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for all the help! I had heard before that the SSB bros players were all a bunch of "FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION NO ITEMS", but this really proved that wrong :)

Another question - what are the best emulator plugins to use for PJ64K? Are they just Jabo's, or are there better ones to use?

M!nt

Smash Champion
I use Jabo Direct3D8 1.7, Azimers Audio, and Nrage 1.61

Channighan

Smash Ace
Thanks for all the help! I had heard before that the SSB bros players were all a bunch of "FOX ONLY FINAL DESTINATION NO ITEMS", but this really proved that wrong :)

Another question - what are the best emulator plugins to use for PJ64K? Are they just Jabo's, or are there better ones to use?
Which community did you come from?
those plugins are all good. Unless you're completely missing a plugin, you're fine. But for Inputs, I use Nrage.

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Which community did you come from?
those plugins are all good. Unless you're completely missing a plugin, you're fine. But for Inputs, I use Nrage.

I come from Team Fortress Classic, im sure you know what TF2 is, but TFC is basically to TF2 as melee is to brawl, but much more drastic. Its probably the most skilled competitive FPS out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD93F-zZ79Y

No one there really knows about Super Smash, but I hear that you are all elitists all the time on youtube and such.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
watching that video reminded me of quake. if any of y'all ever want to play some quake live hit me up (i probably suck now since i haven't played for months but w/e)

oats_

Smash Apprentice
Team Fortress Classic used to be extremely popular during its peak, from 1999 to around 2006. With the release of Team Fortress 2, the popularity has been dwindling. We still run daily (10-15 per day) 4v4 pickup matches on #tfc.invite and #tfc.pickup on Gamesurge IRC.

Also, can anyone give me tips on stopping desyncing during netplay? It doesn't seem to happen too much, but whenever me and a friend play, we desync nearly every single match.

What are the optimal net settings for Kaillera? We are both set to LAN (60 Packets/s). Is this a bad setting? Also, I am aware that certain maps will desync, but we only play dreamland and hyrule.

M!nt

Smash Champion
LAN is the best, stages don't make it ds (well tornado and wind do but not by that much i think)

P2P will help with ds's if you want to do it that way. Other than that you just need to have better internet or move closer to the person you're playing :(

Oh and don't play on wifi definitely.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Some matchups of people randomly ds a lot more than usual vs each other than they do vs others and nobody really seems to know the cause

B Link

Smash Lord
Looks like I ds every other match now. Sometimes with random people I can play many matches. I don't know whyyy

The Star King

Smash Hero
Two personal examples I can think of are SilentSlayers and Killer. I ds like every game against them, but they claimed they don't ds nearly that much vs anyone else (and same with me), and it wasn't lagging or anything. I've heard some people say it has to do with plugin selection or something but idk man

killmaster

Smash Apprentice

Lol melee community right there...
*not on topic *
melee is all about gimping, 64 we have tons of combo and brawl is slow and campy
*not on topic*

Mario is a good character to use in single and double so you did a great choice but his short hop dair - upair, fair-uair require some decent technical skills .. I wouldn't say he is a easy character to play at a high level but for now I don't see any problem..

Top Bottom