• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can we have a universal name for B tricks?

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
As a ROB main, staying mobile and flipping around is important. Bturnarounds can mean help approaching, hitting after RARs, setting up bairs, and lots more. I like to use lots of wavebouncing, B turnarounds, and B reversals because of this. Whenever I'm trying to give someone advice, I always have to say "Use more wavebouncing/ B turnarounds/ B reversals" which kinda ticks me off. I have nothing against their names, because they're all different and are used different times, but I don't enjoy generalizing them by each name. We need something universal.

Chupathingy

Smash Rookie
I think he means a generalized name for the tech, instead of it having quite a few that he named.

Wylde

Smash Cadet
Lets call it waving instead of wavelanding/wavedashing

/thread

D

Deleted member

so are we talking about wavebouncing or something like that?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
bad idea, if we start calling arrow cancels, B cancels, I might confuse it with laser cancels which also become b cancels. And if a lot of characters have b cancels, scrubs will start thinking everyone can cancel their Bs.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
isn't it the smashlabs job to rename things or come up with official names? I remember one of them saying boost tossing would be the official name because for some reason they don't like dacit

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
People just generally call it B reversals from my experience.
But it doesn't really matter. Either of the ones you listed will let the other guy know what your talking about.

Geist

Smash Master
Yeah, alot of people just go with reverse B, or B reversal.

But spending an extra second to type/say it isn't going to kill you.

infomon

Smash Scientist
There are different phenomena though. The OP is correct at least that there's a difference between a B-reversal and a turnaround-B.

Turnaround-B: In the air, tap backwards then quickly use your neutral B. You'll do your neutral-B facing the opposite direction.

I'm not sure if you can turnaround-B specials other than your neutral-B.

B-reverse: Use a side-B or up-B (maybe some others, char-dependent?), then quickly tap the opposite direction. The special might start in the first direction and then change; very visible with Squirtle's up-B, for example. This often has a weird momentum effect that is often called a "wavebounce".

I could be wrong about these terms and their definitions, though.... and I'm not sure if these names are the most widely-used for their respective phenomena.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Yeah, a turnaround B is like that in Melee (direction before B, no momentum change).
A B reversal is something new in Brawl (direction after B, momentum reversal).

Just call them B reversals; Waveboucing (iirc) was just something SamuraiPanda suggested ages back.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Just call them B reversals; Waveboucing (iirc) was just something SamuraiPanda suggested ages back.
See this is what everyone thinks and it's Incorrect. Wavebouncing can ONLY be done with the C stick.

B reversals Flip the character, and move him in the other dirrection.

Wavebouncing, Moves the character the same way, but he still faces forwards.

And yes, B turnarounds are the Melee one, where your momentum is still forward, but the character is flipped. Plz don't make me upload a video, I'm too lazy ;-;

Top Bottom