• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can you guys tell me some gimmicks?

red stone

Smash Ace
Hi, I play sheik a lot and she seems like a very simplistic character, so I need some cool gimmicks to up my game and make my sheik look confusing.

Here are a couple gimmicky things I do already:
-while coming down on someone's shield, I waveland back forcing out a shield grab
-fadeaway nair to bait a shield grab
-tomahawk
-wavedash forward and then shield to bait an attack and respond with nair or grab
-on a tech chase, wavedash in place right in front to bait a roll/spot dodge
-fox trot to bait an aerial and then grab
-wavedash out of shield when an opponent is pressuring and then come back with a dash grab/dash attack
-coming down from the air on an opponent's shield with shiek, get close and then double jump really near their shield to bait a shield grab
-waveland from ledge into grab
-run past opponent's shield to bait out whatever, down cancel run into downsmash or grab.
-and of course the ever popular wavedash back to bait and then punish

I'm good at reading too so i can usually catch jumps out of shield, rolls, techs, and evasive maneuvers in general.

I just want more gimmicks so my opponents will never catch onto my game. I can't really think of any new ones though except for timing tricks like delaying my aerials

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I see no Needle Cancel and Reverse Needle Cancel (RNC) tricks here. I should be seeing a lot more of these gimmicks in this arsenal. For instance, you could charge needles in the air to make the opponent think you're gonna launch them, baiting a shield or a roll. Then cancel, land, and grab. Another thing you could do is RNC in the air to make your opponent think you're gonna bair him. Then land and grab his shield (or whatever response to bair he had).

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I don't think things like WL from edge into grab is a gimmick. You're recovering with actionable invulnerability into an action that can OHKO them because you're in a gimping spot. Sounds like a reasonable play to me. Same thing with fox trot to bait an aerial and then grabbing it. Evasion movements into grab are like... a staple of every character ever. They're really solid plays if you have the spacing to do it.

The fact that WD back > counterattack is listed as a gimmick indicates you have no idea on what constitutes solid play at all. Or your definition of a gimmick is really, really far from the commonly accepted ones.

>__>

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like to dash dance a lot, it's a really good mindgame.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
vs Marths you can spam chain if you are ahead and they pretty much can't do anything sometimes

Kaffei

Smash Hero
walk up grabs ..or just walking to a someone with high dmg ..scary as **** lol ..it baits jumps rolls and badly spaced attacks which to then punish
How is that a gimmick
Isn't that just reading them

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Sheik's chain can be surprisingly effective against certain recoveries when spaced correctly. I believe it out-prioritizes Firfox/bird, as well as some other things. I remember seeing M2K net successful gimps with it off of high-level players (presumably because he was trolling, but who knows). :rotfl:

D

Deleted member

always dash attack without waiting to see if the opponent techs.

reacting is for bads and lubers

lol

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
... cool gimmicks ...

Here are a couple gimmicky things I do already:
-while coming down on someone's shield, I waveland back forcing out a shield grab
-tomahawk
-wavedash forward and then shield to bait an attack and respond with nair or grab
-on a tech chase, wavedash in place right in front to bait a roll/spot dodge
-run past opponent's shield to bait out whatever, down cancel run into downsmash or grab.
I would call all of those "mind games" bubbaking lol. One could even argue baiting is mind gaming which I wouldn't do but one could. (apex 2013 m2k vs mango alleged whiffed set up on FD :awesome:)

Top Bottom