• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canadian Tournaments, see you there!

Darkslash

Smash Master
Crap...this is a bad start for my first tournament. V_V I was really looking forward to thinking of strategies and combos to use for Meta Knight or Olimar, but now I'm going to have to wh0re myself to every character in order to have a decent chance of winning...

Well, I'm a casual, and I didn't really have a main in Melee, so I'm used to randoming. But I'm gonna be f***ing pissed if I get Lucas, because I was horrible with Ness in Melee and Lucas should be no different.
Yea i know what you mean. The only guys i was good at were Mario,Fox and Pika.

Ichida

Smash Ace
*writes Nintendo a pleading e-mail to revoke the equipment and character rules* That's just ****ing insane.

Ichida

Smash Ace
This was the email I just sent to Nintendo. Feel free to supplement it with one of your own.

------------------------

First off, let me just say that I'm a long-time fan of both Nintendo and Smash Bros.. I have been looking forward to this game just as much as everyone else, if not moreso. Obviously I was thrilled upon learning of the EB Games Tournament, especially since I'm from Toronto, which is illustrated in the fact that I have carbon copied this email to my closest friends, most of whom are planning to participate in this event as well. I just have a few questions about your tournament, particularly in reference to the following two rules -

- Nintendo will supply contestants with Wii remotes to participate in the tournament. No personal equipment allowed.

You do realize Brawl has four different control schemes, right? See the details here: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various01.html
Restricting to just the Wiimote is going to severely detriment 75%~ of the gamers there, who use other control types. Obviously this rule is to disable the use of custom controllers because of turboes and macroes, but there's nothing wrong with inspecting controllers brought by players before each match, or providing other types of controllers for people. No need to ruin the game for everyone.

- Contestants may not choose their own characters.

Seriously, what was running through your minds when you decided this? The entire point of Smash is to have different characters with different movesets competing against each other. People practice with the characters they like and are good at. Making people use random characters is severely limiting, and leaving each and every battle up to chance rather than skill. Don't you think it wouild put on a better show for the crowds to have people use the characters they're best at? Don't you think people would feel better about the event walking away knowing they tried their absolute best? Don't you think people are bound to react outwardly if they lose and blame it on your rule? Pulling off the combos they know, using the tricks they've practiced... I mean, seriously! If tiers are the problem, if someone isn't skilled or knowledgeable enough to know who's worth using and who doesn't, the onus is on them to learn. The point of games like Smash is intense competition, which in turn, IS fun for players like us. So don't rob us of all the hours we're going to spend practicing and let people play the way they feel is right.

Please... don't dismiss me as another random complaint. I know my points are valid. I pleadingly ask you to forward my email to the person in charge of the EB Games tournament. To that person, I also beg that you thoroughly read and consider my message, because your rules are going to destroy the competitive Smash world for Canada. If you don't believe me, then I point you to a thread on SmashBoards, the most popular competitive Smash Bros. community on the internet - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145273&page=4

Halfway down that page you will start seeing players' reactions to your absurd rules. If you won't believe me, believe them. This is just one of the many communities that are reacting similarly. These rules are a gaping mistake that the consumers will never forget. Do not allow such an error to damage your company's reputation. For our sake and yours. Thanks for reading.

--
~ (my full name), worried Smasher

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I should e-mail Nintendo asking if they could just make the tournament decided by the roll of a die so we can get it done with faster =o

Rikana

Smash Champion
It would be jokes if they decided to add those Nintendo Booth girls like the ones from the time where Brawl was up as a demo. I wouldn't go for sure if they do plan to do that though..

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Ehhh, the only thing I'm worried about is wiimotes :/

Random characters is fine by me, in fact, I'd rather have it
that way, it pushes people to get good with everyone and expand
there field of "expertise"

M.K

Level 55
Oh my god, you can't choose your own characters? God, if I were a Canadian, I'd run through Canada punching everyone's face in that helped make these descisons.

DreamFiend633

Smash Apprentice
It's too bad you can't choose your character. I don't think I'll be able to go to one. My folks will think its not worth and they won't take me. But it would be fun to see how far I could get.

Ichida

Smash Ace
*******S!

Nintendo of America said:
Message(#6851-000662-1859\6621859)

Hello,

I appreciate your taking the time to share your comments with us regarding the rules for the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament in Canada. However, the process of putting on this tournament for our fans is months in the making and the rules have been set for quite some time and are not up for revision or suggestions.

Nintendo of America Inc.
R.M. Rickets

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529
A brush-off! A ****ing corporate brush-off! I KNEW this would happen!! They didn't even give me any REASONS for their god**** rules!! GOD**** I HATE NINTENDO.

Ulevo

Smash Master
*******S!

A brush-off! A ****ing corporate brush-off! I KNEW this would happen!! They didn't even give me any REASONS for their god**** rules!! GOD**** I HATE NINTENDO.
Ichida, please refer me to the email you used to contact them. I would like to send them an email as well.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Sad thing is that this will probably be the only official Brawl tourney Nintendo will give us.

Damax

Smash Lord
Sad thing is that this will probably be the only official Brawl tourney Nintendo will give us.
well we montrealers know there will be get togethers and some tournies at the nintendo megadome at ''la ronde'' theme park. even those crappy megadome tournament will be better than this uber crappy tournament.

Ichida

Smash Ace
well we montrealers know there will be get togethers and some tournies at the nintendo megadome at ''la ronde'' theme park. even those crappy megadome tournament will be better than this uber crappy tournament.
I'm already planning to get into whatever Brawl events several Toronto conventions will be hosting as well as my own little Brawl shindig on the 22nd.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
ill be there for sure :) cant wait to test out how good fellow canadians are.

WHAT you cant choose your own caracter! oh well ill give it a shot anyway

Ulevo

Smash Master
"Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regard to Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament (http://nintendo.ca/cgi-bin/usersite/display_info.cgi?lang=en&pageNum=7&id=23801). I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with some of the rules and regulations concerning this competition. Your feedback is important to Nintendo, so I will be happy to pass along your comments to the appropriate personnel for further review. While we're not able to respond directly to all forwarded feedback, I can assure you that your comments will be heard.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Greg Hamilton"

Ichida

Smash Ace
"Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us in regard to Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament (http://nintendo.ca/cgi-bin/usersite/display_info.cgi?lang=en&pageNum=7&id=23801). I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with some of the rules and regulations concerning this competition. Your feedback is important to Nintendo, so I will be happy to pass along your comments to the appropriate personnel for further review. While we're not able to respond directly to all forwarded feedback, I can assure you that your comments will be heard.

Nintendo of America Inc.
Greg Hamilton"
Another brush off, only better put. Stack on the mails, people! Let these dense blockheads know what we want!!

Ulevo

Smash Master
Although it is very unlikely our emails will do anything, I do encourage them. We might as well. We're the players of the tournament after all, not Nintendo.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Hey, the grand prize is a trip to the Nintendo World Store for a $500 shopping spree! Nice!
Random only may seem a bit off, but at least it's a situation where my "Be okay with everyone" style of playing might pay off!

Rikana

Smash Champion
OH Snap. $500 USD shopping spree? Wow I'm in. I thought it was just a trip.. that would've been lame. So it's ONLY Wiimotes right? No Wiimote+Nunchuck combination provided?

Edit: Just noticed that the finals at Eaton Centre of Toronto as well.. that's like an hour busing for me/20 minutes drive.. and like 5 min walk from the school I goto. Awesome.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
OH Snap. $500 USD shopping spree? Wow I'm in. I thought it was just a trip.. that would've been lame. So it's ONLY Wiimotes right? No Wiimote+Nunchuck combination provided?

Edit: Just noticed that the finals at Eaton Centre of Toronto as well.. that's like an hour busing for me/20 minutes drive.. and like 5 min walk from the school I goto. Awesome.
$500 CAD, actually.
Which at the moment is worth a few fractions of a cent more than USD.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Doing something cool?! Did you read the information? It's ludicrous! We can't choose our own characters! That's insanity! How do they expect us to fight without our mains?! Stupid!

I didn't notice that o.o (reads) WTF!?! I don't wanna play Yoshi... f*ck this ****, I'm notgoing to participate, I mean it's not a tournament, it's a concentration camp.

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
:Contestants may not choose their character

What the hell kind of rule is this?

Top Bottom