• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canadian Tournaments, see you there!

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Presumably, it's so that everyone will be on even grounds.
So, in the end, they know the controllers are not balanced at all. Which makes it even more suckier. They could give GC controller instead, this is stupid, we'd still be on even grounds. But no, Wii is with Wii remote only, come on, ridiculous.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
WTF so stupid i was thinking about going but the fact that u gotta use wii motes pissed me off so i aint going.

ive been to nintendo world too so whats to point of going again? dumb prize lol where the money.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Really, don't make me laugh. Wiimotes only, no personal equipement allowed. Big "WHY" on there, everyone knows most people use GC controllers, at least most old Smash Bros players, since moving to a Wii Mote for a such a game would needs lot of time to readapt.

As ******** as the previous limits, you can't choose your character. Thats it, don't even bother "thinking" to get there, this is a ******** tournament and is worthless to consider.

Note that I could live, at least, with not choosing my character, its just a different kind of tournament. But the Wiimotes just kill it all.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Really, don't make me laugh. Wiimotes only, no personal equipement allowed. Big "WHY" on there, everyone knows most people use GC controllers, at least most old Smash Bros players, since moving to a Wii Mote for a such a game would needs lot of time to readapt.
Turboes and macroes. 'nuff said. Still sucks.

Phred

Smash Journeyman

As ******** as the previous limits, you can't choose your character. Thats it, don't even bother "thinking" to get there, this is a ******** tournament and is worthless to consider.

Note that I could live, at least, with not choosing my character, its just a different kind of tournament. But the Wiimotes just kill it all.
You make it sound like it's impossible to play with the Wiimote.
Everyone will be using the Wiimote, so there's no reason not to go.
And maybe if you're lucky, you'll win a T-Shirt :D

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
Alright, no its not impossible, never said it wasn't. A player with sufficient training can do as well with a Wiimote than with a GC controller I am sure.

That being said, its very different. Anyone used to a GC controller will not be as good with a Wiimote at first, and vice versa. More so if you've been playing the game for years. You are right-handed, tried writing with your left hand? Right, you can't, but it doesn't work too well and you need much more practice, for no reason really, since you can write with your right hand perfectly. Thats the same thing.

Turboes and macroes. 'nuff said. Still sucks.
A valid, understandable point, but they could simply make it safe, demand verifications of the controllers (that could be troublesome however), or simply supply GC controllers instead, since this is what most use (no, I have no proof of that, but just ask most players that would actually go to a tournament).

At best, they could supply both, but thats not the best decision for their pocket. I still consider this unacceptable.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
It's not like it's impossible, it's uncomfortable. And who cares if everyone use it? Some people will have a easier time with these while others will simply whine about it because it's no good.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Another reason why they may not want GC controllers because it has a wire.. imagine someone accidentally yanking it and pulling the whole Wii down. They can strap the Wii of course, but that might kill the controller (better than losing a Wii).

They could use the wireless GC controller, but I heard there are certain devices that can interfere with the frequency that the wireless GC controllers output.

As much as I want to use a GC controller as well, I don't mind using Wiimote actually. I'll just practice with it.

Ichida

Smash Ace
A valid, understandable point, but they could simply make it safe, demand verifications of the controllers (that could be troublesome however), or simply supply GC controllers instead, since this is what most use (no, I have no proof of that, but just ask most players that would actually go to a tournament).

At best, they could supply both, but thats not the best decision for their pocket. I still consider this unacceptable.
That's what I told them. They gave me the corporate flipoff.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Another reason why they may not want GC controllers because it has a wire.. imagine someone accidentally yanking it and pulling the whole Wii down. They can strap the Wii of course, but that might kill the controller (better than losing a Wii).

They could use the wireless GC controller, but I heard there are certain devices that can interfere with the frequency that the wireless GC controllers output.

As much as I want to use a GC controller as well, I don't mind using Wiimote actually. I'll just practice with it.
Which makes me wonder if you'll have to put down the $50 deposit to use the Remotes like you have to to play the demo station.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Holy crap I just tried th WiiMote today an d it's horrible >_>;; I kept screwing up because I thought buttons did something different due to the different placement. I'll probably practice the day before the tournament or something to get a feel for it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I have a few things to note.

1) For the majority of you who are complaining, which you are most entitled to, I suggest you email them, as just complaining isn't going to do much of anything.

2) For those of you who keep saying that the random characters rule is to keep everyone on fair game, that is totally false. All it takes is for a few of the players there to "randomly" be paired with their mains, and the rest of the poor suckers there using characters they are mostly unfamiliar with will be slaughtered. If I'm a Marth main and happen to use him while you get stuck with Mario, having never played him before, I will likely win. That's not fair play.

3) For those people who keep saying that they can't allow GC controllers to be used within the tournament due to modified personal equipment, macros and turbos, that is true, but not excusable. If they are supplying everyone their with wiimotes, which seem more expensive than the GC controllers, they have no reason to not supply the latter as well.

Ichida

Smash Ace
I have a few things to note.

1) For the majority of you who are complaining, which you are most entitled to, I suggest you email them, as just complaining isn't going to do much of anything.
I DID email them. I accomplished jack ****.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The thing that people should be wonder about the controllers is

Does Nintendo still make Game Cube controllers?

Wiimotes production is around 25+10 for Nintendo Profit and maybe another 10 for Retailer+ tax. NGC controllers are not in production(to my knowledge) and it would cost more to produce reliable NGC Controllers just for a tournament(again to my Knowledge). Do not give me a face palm if this sounds stupid

But i think Wiimote is cheaper

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The thing that people should be wonder about the controllers is

Does Nintendo still make Game Cube controllers?

Wiimotes production is around 25+10 for Nintendo Profit and maybe another 10 for Retailer+ tax. NGC controllers are not in production(to my knowledge) and it would cost more to produce reliable NGC Controllers just for a tournament(again to my Knowledge). Do not give me a face palm if this sounds stupid

But i think Wiimote is cheaper
No they don't make GCN controllers anymore. But still, you'd think that there'd be 4 GCN controllers lying around in the back of the store that they could use.

pirkid

Smash Lord
Lol at spare GC controllers. Your kidding.

I don't mind the random characters (Although for going unorthodox that crossed teh line 3 times) or the WiiMotes.

I'm surprised the prize is only a T-Shirt that you'll probably wear once.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Yea but what happens if it breaks down on you? :laugh:
Then no GCN controller for you! As unlikely as it would've been for them to use them (of course they will use the wiimote because it's kind of the staple of the Wii to the public), I thought it would be kind of convenient for those who maybe would practice on them during the one month period we got.

Top Bottom