• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Capt. Falcon V.S Sheik?

graves

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, as most you know, I main Capt. Falcon.
I don't get to play many people, just my brother and friends most of the time.
My brother Mains Marth, who I can beat, and my friends main Fox, who I can beat.
However, by brother has recently began to main Sheik, and I have problems with sheik.
I get most my practice V.S CPU's, and obviously you can't play a sheik CPU. (They stay as Zelda).
So, what tips do you have on fighting Sheik?

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
0-death on every grab.
Or else you lose.
Up air juggle
Up throw--> Up air
Upthrow--> predict their jump/di + Knee
Dthrow-->Knee
Gimp them hard. Be as gay as possible you have every right its a 90-10 match up.

Bozo

Smash Cadet
I wil tell you 1 thing never play against CPU just practice alot against your brothers sheik and ask tips from other falcon brothers. and btw i know sheik match up is really gay but if you win it feels soo seeet

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I wil tell you 1 thing never play against CPU just practice alot against your brothers sheik and ask tips from other falcon brothers. and btw i know sheik match up is really gay but if you win it feels soo seeet
playing low level cpus (1-3) is alright if you are just practicing tech or combos. Just as long as you don't take it like a real match or have to try to win you should be fine.

An interview with mango said:
Wuschel so were comin to the end of this interview..maybe some tips for new players.. Training mehtods..and stuff?

PrrettyMango69 Just to try and work on teck skill
Cant do anything if your not consistent. Shouldnt have to worry about your teck skill mid match should be trying to pick up bad habits and stuff

Wuschel Would u suggest training against Cpu`s ?

PrrettyMango69Yeah thats always alright
Nothing bad to doing it
In my experience with the sheik matchup (which is admittedly limited) I seem to do better the more I dash dance camp... but that goes for most matchups.

Quic

Smash Journeyman
As far as approaches go, try to mix it up by approaching with jab to grab.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Just never approach her until she does something stupid you can punish.

Combo with the intention of making her need to Up+B to get back. If you can force Up+Bs from small, effective combos that end with Knee or enough Uairs to push her so DJ + airdodge won't cut it for recovering, then she's screwed. Falcon's got one of the best edgeguard games vs Sheik's recovery.

Spam Uair if she tries anything that involves full jump.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Learn how to get out of dumb tilt combos like multiple Utilt into Ftilt
Also DI away until you see Sheik leave the ground
Smash DI up on jabs when you get hit by Dthrow and buffer jump to avoid techchases I believe

*Edit*
I totally forgot Sheik can do stuff in the air besides Fair you. So just DI away unless you're expecting an Fair haha

_kSo_

Smash Master
if u space a lot of nairs you will prevent her from being able to approach you, but when she starts camping you with needles, it gets really annoying. In that case you'll have to start the empty jump and double jump mix ups to really get past the wall of needles/ftilts.

usually if you find the space between where she can't ftilt your foot and where she feels comfortable throwin needles at you, you can find an opening for a grab pretty easily.

It's really a very difficult matchup...still my hardest, aside from fox, really...hah

_kSo_

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_9HVqIpNEA

Sheik get's punished hard by Falcon. 0:24

...harder than Falcon does by Sheik.
yeah, that was a good game, but hax and many other top level falcon players can keep a combo going once they catch a window of opportunity. Unfortunately, a mid-level sheik player has it way easier than any mid-level falcon player, and no mid-level falcon player can seize opportunities as gracefully as hax does.

oh, and 90% of sheik's moves go through all of falcon's moves...so there is no way falcon punishes sheik harder than sheik punishes falcon. Playing falcon vs sheik is already punishment enough.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
yeah, that was a good game, but hax and many other top level falcon players can keep a combo going once they catch a window of opportunity. Unfortunately, a mid-level sheik player has it way easier than any mid-level falcon player, and no mid-level falcon player can seize opportunities as gracefully as hax does.

oh, and 90% of sheik's moves go through all of falcon's moves...so there is no way falcon punishes sheik harder than sheik punishes falcon. Playing falcon vs sheik is already punishment enough.
I didn't think we were talking about mid-level players tbqh. I think the higher in skill you go the better testament there is to a matchup. Falcons nowadays are slowly ****** this matchup. Hax can apparently beat M2K and SS dominated Lucien at GSG.

Definitely. Falcon can 0-death Sheik off of one grab. Sheik cannot. I also believe Falcon's amazing dash dance and overall movement go even with Sheik's gay *** tilts. :laugh:

Zoler

Smash Ace

Really? Me (sheik) and my friend (falcon) plays quite a bit and it's often very even (we're about the same skill level) but I think he wins a bit more. I have almost as big chance of winning with fox/falco as with sheik, and my sheik are x100 times better.

lolwut?

Also when you talk about a matchup, how the characters perform at mid skill is not really relevant anyway.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I didn't think we were talking about mid-level players tbqh. I think the higher in skill you go the better testament there is to a matchup. Falcons nowadays are slowly ****** this matchup. Hax can apparently beat M2K and SS dominated Lucien at GSG.

Definitely. Falcon can 0-death Sheik off of one grab. Sheik cannot. I also believe Falcon's amazing dash dance and overall movement go even with Sheik's gay *** tilts. :laugh:
You are teaching me some falcon.... soon. I'd really like to go even with sheik. I could arrange a place to smash most nights of the week for this if you are willing.
Really? Me (sheik) and my friend (falcon) plays quite a bit and it's often very even (we're about the same skill level) but I think he wins a bit more. I have almost as big chance of winning with fox/falco as with sheik, and my sheik are x100 times better.
Isn't sheik worse in pal and falcon better in pal? I've never played it, but that is my understanding.

But I see your point, I think the spacies are a lot harder for falcon than sheik, and I find sheiks of my relative level to be much more manageable thank space animals that know their tech.

Zoler

Smash Ace
It's interesting seeing the evolution of the game, maybe Falcon will be > sheik soon, or some other wacky stuff? :D

Isn't sheik worse in pal and falcon better in pal? I've never played it, but that is my understanding.

But I see your point, I think the spacies are a lot harder for falcon than sheik, and I find sheiks of my relative level to be much more manageable thank space animals that know their tech.
Sheik isn't that much worse, at least not vs Falcon. It's just that you can't chaingrab (doesn't matter vs Falcon) and the uair is weaker which is actually better vs Falcon, because some combos like uair, uair, fair works, that would never work in NTSC.

Falcon is the same I think, except that gentleman autocancels itself.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
dont listen to hax, hes not even good.

im slowly starting to believe more and more that falcon has an easier time vs sheik that vs spacies. the major difference is that falcon CAN combo sheik. really the best combo falcon has on spacies is stomp -> knee everything else is tech-chasing.

D

Deleted member

if getting tech chased at below 32 % miss tech and fuken slam the control stick up so you pop up and buffer jump away

same thing works at above 32 % except u can hold c-stick up

if u do this enuf shieks will start up-smashing and that's where teching away *****

or you can tech in place, buffer roll tech in place jab tech in place raptor boost

i also like fountain of dreams, rainbow cruise, brinstar because they easily disrupt tech chases if you want the easy way out

--

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
That was just an exampel, my point was that we keep inventing and figuring out new stuff, just look at peach and puff! Maybe something that's clear as crystal today will be the total opposite in a year or two.
You have the right mentality. Don't listen to the guy who laughed at you. He'll just be behind ;)

dont listen to hax, hes not even good.

im slowly starting to believe more and more that falcon has an easier time vs sheik that vs spacies. the major difference is that falcon CAN combo sheik. really the best combo falcon has on spacies is stomp -> knee everything else is tech-chasing.
Do you mean Falcon can 0-death Sheik off a grab if he gets reads/the Sheik messes up? Or is there some way he can do this that I don't know about?
I'm going to address both of these quotes at the same time. The more I think about the matchup, the more I understand why Hax said what he said. (If he was just joking then owell, the following points still stand. lol) I never thought the match up was nearly as bad as people thought it was.

Falcon can tech chase Sheik below 0% off of dthrow if she DIs away. If she DI's in just regrab and repeat. Uthrow leads to death at around 30%ish.

"But Little England tech chasing isn't comboing" Yes it is. Learn the definition of a combo. lol

Go Johnny! :D Take that Kirbykaze <3 lol

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
LOL @ people who think falcon wins this matchup.

LOL @ that hax vs m2k match, note it says "friendly".

yeah falcon can combo but when the sheik is good enough she won't let you. any sheik who has ever intentionally approached a falcon is doing something wrong. any sheik who hasn't made one grab lead to a death combo is doing something wrong.

ftilt > falcon. cc at low % > falcon.

ask jetfour how to play against falcon with any character and he'll break it down a lot better for you but its basically like this lol.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
if getting tech chased at below 32 % miss tech and fuken slam the control stick up so you pop up and buffer jump away

same thing works at above 32 % except u can hold c-stick up

if u do this enuf shieks will start up-smashing and that's where teching away *****

or you can tech in place, buffer roll tech in place jab tech in place raptor boost

i also like fountain of dreams, rainbow cruise, brinstar because they easily disrupt tech chases if you want the easy way out

--
What if they just wait for you to stand up because you're slamming/holding the sticks up and refrain from jab resetting?

D

Deleted member

What if they just wait for you to stand up because you're slamming/holding the sticks up and refrain from jab resetting?
most good shieks will jab reset 100% of the time (first time)

also the smash DI up is when falcon is still flopping around, if shiek doesn't do anything while you are flopping around you can assume they are just waiting and not DI up

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Look for Hax's MM with Tope from Apex.

Oh and just so everyone knows, Tope played REALLY BAD at Apex, he didnt even make it out of pools.

So yeah

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think what he was saying was that if Sheik chooses not to jab reset Falcon and let him stay there, he has no reliable options to avoid the next hit/grab...

...which is a good point.
He understands what I'm saying, he's saying that Sheiks don't do what I'm talking about so at the moment it's a non-issue.

ZodiakLucien

Smash Ace
I think falcon vs sheik on a small stage is 7-3 sheik. On a big stage it's managable. But I think everyone of falcons match ups is better on a bigger stage. Small stages are falcons worst match up.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think falcon vs sheik on a small stage is 7-3 sheik. On a big stage it's managable. But I think everyone of falcons match ups is better on a bigger stage. Small stages are falcons worst match up.
I can agree with this.

Also Lucien when you d-throw Falcon you should U-tilt if he doesn't DI away because then it combos to regrab at low percents, which is good, or another U-tilt if he DIs bad, and then at medium percents it combos into U-smash, Dash Attack, regrab, F-tilt, and all sorts of other nonsense, and it's really good.

Top Bottom