• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon as main ?

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi i am trying to choose my main. I played a lot of character and i made my top 5 but it still a hard decision so i want the community opinion and wisdom.

My choice for main are right now : Shulk, luigi, sonic, bowser Jr and Sonic.
Those 5 have what i look for atm, killing power and versatility and i enjoy the all.

So what i would like to know for Captain Falcon:

1) Pro's and con's
2) Competitive potential
3) Easy, medium or hard learning curve
4) How does he compare to the others in my top 5
5) Against who he struggle

So thanks a lot for your time and help it is greatly appreciate. Choosing a main is hard for me right now but i want to put 100 % of my time in 1 character so that i can improve my gameplay.

PS: before you ask i read a lot of the forum for those character and all their guide i just want your opinion

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
Pros:
Manliest character in the game
Godly combo and punish game
Fast movement speed
One of the best jabs in the game

Cons:
Awful recovery
Weak against projectiles (I feel like Robin is an exception due to being slow)
Has a harder time against most short characters (ugh Pikachu)

Sonic probably rates higher than anyone else you've mentioned, everyone else is up for debate, really. It depends what you're looking for.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
My choice for main are right now : Shulk, luigi, sonic, bowser Jr and Sonic.
Wat?
1) He, is fast combo heavy, good killing power, decent weight, and manly, but his recovery is below average, he doesn't fare to great against projectile heavy characters, and you might go too deep with him.
2) Very high competitive potential could be top 10
3) Pretty high if you aren't familiar with the type of play style.
4) First off you listed 4 lol second off besides Luigi he's pretty different from all them Sonic you just gotta side b a lot, Shulk is a very spacey character, and BJ is pretty campy as his offensive options aren't the best. From best to worst is Luigi, Sonic, Falcon, Shulk, and BJ
5) He struggles against projectile characters as well as smaller characters like Pikachu, Ness, Kirby, etc.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I'm also looking at Falcon as a main. My question is, what are some different basic approaches he can employ? I find myself over-using dash attack and attacking into shield too much, which leads me into over-using grabs, and back and forth. What are some good ways to mix it up? (please don't say sh-nair) :) :falconmelee::falcon::4falcon::falcon64:

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
I'm also looking at Falcon as a main. My question is, what are some different basic approaches he can employ? I find myself over-using dash attack and attacking into shield too much, which leads me into over-using grabs, and back and forth. What are some good ways to mix it up? (please don't say sh-nair) :) :falconmelee::falcon::4falcon::falcon64:
What's wrong with a fastfalled sh-nair? Definitely a legitimate option. Most of Falcon's approaches are fairly linear - dash grab to dthrow to aerial and dash attack to aerial are his bread and butter. Tomahawking (empty hopping to fast fall right in front of an opponent) can also be useful and can be followed up with a grab or a gentleman depending on whether they shield or not.

BATMN

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pigcookies
3DS FC
1392-5020-4546
Pros: speed, strength, combos, strings, great dash grab
Cons: easily gimped, laggy moves
Falcon has a lot of potential in the competitive scene. I'm not gonna list them here, but he has many good options that can be used a lot
People say he's hard to learn, but I didn't have too much trouble. Look at some guides and post questions on here if you have trouble.
(IMO) better than shulk, worse than luigi, about the same level as sonic, better than bowser jr.
In my experience, fox, luigi, diddy, and sheik are the biggest problems

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom