• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain falcon essentials

Mars-

Smash Champion
What is essential that I should know playing falcon that I might not know already? I'm not talking about general stuff like combos and ****. Things that noob falcons might not know that is usefull

also discuss some of your technique for approaching if you can.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
shffled nair to grab is always a good one. dont abuse it or it gets really predictable.

uh...

dashdance a lot..

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Well approaching is definitly the one of the biggest parts I see in playing a falcon.
Aside from the obvious dash dance, sometimes I'll spam, or just pointlessly do a Nair (shffl'd of course) to make their approach a bit more cautious. Sometimes my opponent will actually get scared for a split second, and immediatly when I land I run up and JC grab. If I'm feeling iffy, I'll dash dance to Bair shffls and continue on to more Bairs.
Another appoach I use is sometimes I'll start off combos with an ackward use of Uair (it seems to have a bit more range than some people assume). Sometimes I'll jump waiting for an opponents response and right before I land Uair, it barely looks like it comes out but it does get some decent forward range. Combos seem up to you though. Dtilt is obviously good for fast fallers, and Dair is a great techchase/ spam move/ pressure move.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Establish control of the match. It's not like if you were fox or marth...and you're getting ***** badly but then have an opening for a nicely placed upsmash/shine(fox) or fsmash(marth) and oh look suddenly you're a stock ahead. No. If you have control using grabs and predicting tech chasing, you are basically gonna win.

Don't know if that counts but I'm pretty sure noob falcons don't understand how important that is and they just run in doing all sorts of random stuff.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Anything helps, I am a noob falcon and just run around throwing out random attacks occationally getting a gg up air combo.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
essientials for falcon i think are knowing how to use your grabs, side b's, and tilts enough in your gameplay. i see alot of players who just shffl all around and think they are cool. i try to mix up my game with diffrent things like gentleman, moonwalking, and random taunting.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Stomp. It's underused, and I'm not talking about just tech chasing, either. Stomp is good for landing on a shield (just land behind them); it's good for *gasp* continuing a combo (yes, yes it is); and good for whiffing while waiting for your opponent.

Dash dance should be used WHENEVER possible. Camping, approaching, tech chasing, edgegaurding, etc.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Normal/floaties: dash dance, grab, various throw combos into knee.

Fast Fallers: dash dance, grab, tech chase with grabs into get them off the stage and edge guard.

L-vis

Smash Apprentice
Tap Resets, they are so dangerous against fast-fallers, after an upthrow at low percents. It botches up their tech game and you usually get a free grab.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It's so easy to get out of tap a resets, but it can catch people off guard sometimes.

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
Dash dance your thumbs off, tech chase but what is most important is not being predictable. C falc is all about mindgames, no noob can pick him up quickly so if you shffl a nair to approach every time your gonna get *****. Pay attention to teching patterns. A good falcon is a falcon thats always in control...uh idk, thats the basics i suppose.....use the knee?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Know key percents that lead to KO's. Especially vs. spacies. Up throw to fsmash @ 95%, up throw to knee at 110% or higher. Up throw to knee works generally on all floaties from 80%(ex: shiek)-100%(ex: ganon). 'Cept with jiggs/luigi you'll want to use down throw.

This thread seems like it's basically filtering out the useless spam from g-reg's thread and focusing on the good stuff. :)

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
Forward b is totally a useful technique, if you dont spam it can really catch an opponent off guard especially because c falc backs up slightly before doing it. After a stomp on a space animal from like 40-60% its really good for keeping em in the combo. However aerial ones...well those are just for shaming your opponent.

Baseline

Smash Rookie
tap resets r good until it gets predictable then it could result in u losing a stock or alot of damage.
esentials i think are combos techchasing dashdancing grabs all air moves grab sideb and doing a move that could result in a knee because just about all his moves can result to a knee at a certain percentage. almost forgot about edgeguarding and moonwalking

Burning Soul

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what you're level is, but there are several ways to gain the offensive in a match as falcon. For me, if i would have known this i would have gotten to where i am much faster. I'll declare them in the order that i discovered them.

If you're both on the ground, (you should be dash dancing) dash forward and follow with a shffl'd stomp and try to land behind them. They can't do a noob shieldgrab, securing yourself and gaining distance. Not that effective, but should work out for you.

If you haven't noticed, falcon's dash attack isn't that great...... This compromises his amazing speed, or does it? Since you have so much speed, dash up and rather than dash attacking, grab him. It works wonders against people that hide in their shield, and you can combo the **** out of grabs.(I'll go more into grabs later)

Finally, i only recently discovered how amazing Nair can really be (its the flip kick). If you're playing against a non fast faller, you'll notice that many people like to advance by jumping to you. This is your chance to strike! Dash forwardand shffl that Nair! If you're having problems with that, just dash, short hop, hit the c-stick up, fast fall, L-cancel.(Work on it, its amazing)

Okay, i'll talk more about the grabs now. They're a great way to accumalate damage when you're opponent has low %. For example, if you're playing a marth and you have him in a grab, try throwing him down. You can either run up and grab him again, if he isnt going high enough, dashdance around until he rollows somewhere, and then grab him again! If you get good at this, its possible to chase him and lock him into grabs until he is ready to get a knee.

Okay, i forgot everything, if you have any questions, PM me

Mars-

Smash Champion
Well actually guys, my falcon did pretty well, except vs dk because I don't know how to avoid grabs.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so question about tap resets...how do you go about punishing it? i'm not even really sure what is possible..i think i air dodge after it normally? though i guess they can chase that if they're fast...

what else
if i take the tap reset they try to grab me out of the air no? so do i have time to aerial out with a fast aerial? or does the grab usuaully hit as they land? i think it hits in the air though meaning that they can't plan to spotdodge when they land....

anyways i don't see how jab resets are easily punishable...i'm usually content just getting out

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Finally, i only recently discovered how amazing Nair can really be (its the flip kick). If you're playing against a non fast faller, you'll notice that many people like to advance by jumping to you. This is your chance to strike! Dash forwardand shffl that Nair! If you're having problems with that, just dash, short hop, hit the c-stick up, fast fall, L-cancel.(Work on it, its amazing)
Fyi that's actually uair (up-air) nair is aka neutral air (just hitting A in the air with no DI). Just for the sake of accuracy and they are both very different moves in the first place. Good advice though, I never knew the pwnage that is the uair juggle when I was a noob falcon. Didn't know it for a long time. New CF's: master this early.

Top Bottom