• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

0Room

Smash Lord
Scar
Appreciate it bro.

Walt,
You're welcome man. It's why I'm here lol.
But like you said, you did the mess ups because you were nervous. Which was the point I was trying to get at.
But I totally understand your wanting to move all the time. I do that all the time lol. You just gotta force yourself to sit down and chill out, however that works for you. I do it by admitting I'm not that excited about winning, as much as just about playing and testing myself. Winning is everything, but at the same time it's not as important.
By focusing on doing only the tech chase or something, it's no longer a "if I miss this I'm going to lose."

Yay contradictions that kind of make sense.
You'll have to find your own reason for calming down and focusing on one or two things.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
0Room said:
Granted I would not do much better, they're obviously very good players [esp. Tang]
but goddamn lol
i thought he did well game 1 against joeplicate (given the opponent). anyway, if you think that is bad, wait until i post the vid of my falcon vs waffles' falco. . .

Walt

Smash Ace
Or me against SFAT in crews! He 3 stocked me both games of pools and a 3rd time in crews. That kid is ridiculous. Pools weren't recorded though.

Windrose

Smash Lord
It looked like tang wasn't trying very hard in those games as fox. I saw so many times when he caught you in a bad spot and he didn't punish you all the way or didn't punish you with the most optimal edge guard. I assume he was sand bagging cuz he is SS's team mate after all....i don't really know his limits.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I dunno if I submiited this video of me playing against a Sheik but it was from the same tournament as my last submission (which was in December :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUb8aORpUvg&feature=related#t=7m08s
:)

7:27 you had a guaranteed regrab. though you tried to read a dj nair and counter it with a uair oos :) i don't like doing stuff like that early on though.

7:30 should've jab grabbed

7:38 sh dairs that close vs sheik ask for ftilts. i feel like stomps are risky vs sheik overall if you haven't conditioned them

8:00 should've done sh uair to knee or fj nair to something

8:17 good crossup

8:46 got ftilted again. didnt lead into anything though :)

8:55 good stomp

8:58 good. shame you didn't get the edgeguard. try kneeing or stomping when sheik lands one the stage like that next time

9:08 nice

9:42 the stomp finally landed :)

9:45 should've uaired

Will probably write more later. Your falcon's good all in all, on point with the sdi and spacing. I'd tell you to work on your combo game a bit but you seemed a bit nervous in these matches :p

j00t

Smash Champion
:)

7:27 you had a guaranteed regrab. though you tried to read a dj nair and counter it with a uair oos :) i don't like doing stuff like that early on though.

7:30 should've jab grabbed

7:38 sh dairs that close vs sheik ask for ftilts. i feel like stomps are risky vs sheik overall if you haven't conditioned them

8:00 should've done sh uair to knee or fj nair to something

8:17 good crossup

8:46 got ftilted again. didnt lead into anything though :)

8:55 good stomp

8:58 good. shame you didn't get the edgeguard. try kneeing or stomping when sheik lands one the stage like that next time

9:08 nice

9:42 the stomp finally landed :)

9:45 should've uaired

Will probably write more later. Your falcon's good all in all, on point with the sdi and spacing. I'd tell you to work on your combo game a bit but you seemed a bit nervous in these matches :p
I wasn't really nervous. I play against Moogle all the time. It's just that I was messing a bunch of **** up! :p

I'll read what you wrote later

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Is doublejump knee the only thing you do in neutral haha

Also you missed a chance to raptor boost upsmash him, the GREATEST COMBO IN THE WORLD
Clearly that is why you lost

But seriously are you trying to imitate SS haha

You kinda choked at an inopportune time on the last stock when you could have had the edgeguard twice

Uhh...yeah
All I see are double jump knees and stomps so I don't know what else to say xD

Windrose

Smash Lord
Is doublejump knee the only thing you do in neutral haha

Also you missed a chance to raptor boost upsmash him, the GREATEST COMBO IN THE WORLD
Clearly that is why you lost

But seriously are you trying to imitate SS haha

You kinda choked at an inopportune time on the last stock when you could have had the edgeguard twice

Uhh...yeah
All I see are double jump knees and stomps so I don't know what else to say xD

Based on what I saw in the first video. I agree with wenbo. It also reminded me of SS a lot. He does so many double jumps. I think against better players people will catch on to that and punish you a lot. Still I thought you were really good. Especially offensively in terms of comboing tech chasing and covering correct options as well as finding various ways (through double jumping mainly) to find openings against your opponent....

0Room

Smash Lord
Things to work on
BigD I think the one thing that you need to work on is patience in the Fox game.
You're constantly doing things, and I feel like a falcon player needs to react more than he does

For example
Watch this from here until the end of the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7uk4LSFZI&feature=related&t=05m33s

You keep pushing in, even rolling towards him [which you did multiple times during that match] when you should realize that he's simply reacting to your stuff, rather than trying to approach you. You need to do that. As you got to the very end, you did just that: you reacted, and took the game. Which was great. Just remember, think like a good horror game: You want the enemy to fear the possibilities of what you can do, rather than the actuality of what you're doing. It's what empty hops and stuff like that is for. If you don't really understand what I'm saying, think of it like Marth: He's scary because he hasn't committed yet. The second he does, he can't do anything else: if he does an utilt he can't do a fsmash.
You should be the same way. Be scary because you can react to anything he does, not because you run in there with a DJ bair
[/digression]

A lot of your deaths are because you wanna rush in and wreck. You can't do that. You have to be patient, react, grab, and tech chase. You're really good at that. This isn't really a problem in the FBI match because you have much more ability to run around and do stuff against Luigi than against Fox. But anyway, moving on.

Another thing: Getting out of pressure.
It's one of those things that people figure out, but under shield pressure CF doesn't really have many options. It's easier and better to probably shield roll/WDOoS than jump->knee, etc. Falcon's jump is kind of bad, and so if you're gonna jump you probably need to jump away and maybe even double jump.
If you're ever in a combo and get out, you shouldn't double jump dair. It almost never works, even though it seems like a good idea at the time. get on the ground, and start running. As a whole, using your DJ really isn't a great idea, like you saw on your last life of the last game.

Side stuff
And if I may add a weapon to your repertoire, I want to add this: dthrow->JC usmash
EXAMPLE
It gets people who tech in place/don't tech. It's just an interesting move, I wanna see if anyone else picks it up. I have, but it's better to have options than not to.

If you're going to DJ back in from offstage with an attack, it should probably be knee instead of nair. Probably.

Holy **** FBI got so many misfires

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Upsmash is amazing if they're bad
It's terrible when they know how to hold down ... or away ... or any direction really ...

Thumbs does it all the time though (it's been his trademark move for forever) so you're a little behind on the times :lick:

0Room

Smash Lord
Nobody else does it though xD
And I feel like it's a good thing to just throw in there every once and a while, as well as knee and dair and stuffs

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Thumbs spams it all the time <.<

No one does it because it's like ... not good
If your opponent is bad at DIing then sure cheap them out all you want
But the first hit is super dependent on DI

Windrose

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree with what wenbobular said about usmash being bad and why it's bad. It's also why most falcon's don't use it most of the time. (I sometimes use it as a mixup to kill floaties like how SS uses it to kill peach or puff ie. vs armada with usmash)

@0Room, I'm not sure if dj knee from off stage is always the best because knee comes out slower than nair and sometimes nair is better cuz it's faster.

I'm not too sure on the decision making there as I've always wondered how pro falcons choose between nair and uair (and sometimes knee) when choosing to dj back onto the stage with an attack :S. Usually knee is only used as like an edge guard or something ie. if sheik up'b lands onto the stage. :S (or at least that's when I dj back with knee) but the choice between nair and uair has always been not too clear for me unless the person is like above or something in which case uair will hit but nair will not........?

(yeah i don't really know...someone help me :( )

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Late Uair from the ledge is really good for getting people who underestimate the range when trying to DD grab it

Nair is pretty good for doing it to people who are a little too close because it's pretty safe on shield if you buffer a roll (super susceptible to CC though)

Knee if they're like not shielding and way too close to react

Sometimes tomahawk from the ledge is quite effective too, as is fast ledgedash immediate dash pivot Nair

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah i like to wd out of shield normally but i kinda forgot all about it then

oroom i disagree a little bit on me getting wrecked because i rushed in, i felt like i actually got hit a lot when i was trying to run away and got clipped by nairs or something, i was trying really hard to bait him out and dd grab but i'm not very good at it

nair is pretty good from offstage recovering, i did it too much i think but its good because its not only fast but really long so it will get to them when they think theyre waiting far enough away. generally the only reason i do that with any attack is because it catches people off guard, and knee is too slow to do that

nair is good to ledgehop if they cant cc, its easier to combo off of than uair because of the different situation of jumping from the ledge

up smash is not good for tech chasing, stomp covers the same options and actually works and has less lag

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Pretty similar situations

In my opinion doublejumping back with an attack is terrible unless you grab the ledge when your attack ends

A lot of the time you just want to doublejump back with nothing but react if they come within shorthop attack range

0Room

Smash Lord
Well I don't know anything about your thoughts or feelings when you were fighting, so you definitely have a point. I'm just pointing out what I saw from your video.
That being that I saw you rush in when you just got out of a combo and when I interpreted that he was waiting for you.
So that's what I meant by that.

FabulousGeorge

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to ask here, but this seems the only falcon thread not affected by genesis hype.
Could someone explain to me the mechanics of jab resetting and how I should use it.

I'm fairly new so don't be afraid of being patronising

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Jab reset and hope they don't press anything is basically the plan, Falcon's jab reset blows ... it does 2% yet doesn't truly reset them like ever <_<
Mostly applicable on stomping them into the ground and jabbing the bounce to force an action because Falcon's jab is too high to really hit them when they've stopped bouncing

I think how it works is they have less time to input something the less knockback a move has, so at higher % it's even less likely to work (it already doesn't really work at 0 I'm pretty sure)

Jigg's jab reset is broken, it resets people up to like 100 or something mad dumb >:[

Sheik's jab reset needs to be smash DI'd up until like low 30% when you can just hold up and then input something immediately after or something like that

Luigi's jab reset will automatically reset you like Jiggs too so don't get jabbed by Luigi either haha

0Room

Smash Lord
Basically what happens is
You get knocked down, and when you're jabbed, you come up and then hit the ground again, resulting in the default "get up" animation.
It's really useful when it works, but as Wenbo pointed out Falcon's doesn't always work.

Basically you just have to try for it and if you get it, you need to do whatever is best for the situation [knee, stomp->knee, fsmash, what have you]

Anything else?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Change "doesn't always" to "almost never"
When you get the jab reset just count it as a techchase where their options are roll, neutral getup, getup attack

Windrose

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure there's 3 things that can happen when you jab reset your opponent.

1. They get up
2. They roll left
3. They roll right

Depending on the opponent's input or something....

Also, nothing is ever safe in this game 100%. If you become predictable in always going for the ledge grab option your opponent can easily punish it. There are safer choices but nothing is 100% safe. I go for ledge grab too often and don't try to come back with an aerial.

FabulousGeorge

Smash Apprentice
Cheers.

I did it a couple of times against the falco I play today. I found that regrab was the best option.

With the shiek I play against SEMI-regularly (aka once every 3 months) I manage to get out of them by mashing up with the c-stick.

Is there any tips on playing AGAINST faclon as a falco?
My friend wants to know, and it would help me against any future falcos.
We are not very good at all, but we can understand and do basic and some advanced techniques.

Thanks in advance,
George

Walt

Smash Ace
Tips for Falco against Falcon is react to every attack Falcon does with your own attack. Mostly Bair or Dair.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Tell your friend to laser whenever possible. Whenever I play against falcos worst than me, it's always cuz they aren't lasering enough. Laser = super gay and makes the matchup hard. Also work on comboing with falco such that any opportunity turns into like a decent amount of percent added and perhaps setup to an edgeguard situation for falco. Falco is going to be one of your hardest matchups in the upcoming road.

0Room

Smash Lord
Don't get grabbed
Laser sets the pace of the match
Shine when getting shield pressured, Shine OoS is really good and you should learn that
You could go the DRPP way and WD back every time you shine regardless of whether you hit or not
Don't get grabbed
When shining, try for a pillar, Falcon can't really do much
Edgeguard Falcon with lasers and dair
drop off->jump back->dair is really good
Basically make CF come to you and hit him into a combo to win
Counter pick FD
Don't get grabbed

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Whenever you have the option to regrab it's almost always the correct choice
Unless you can do something that very likely leads to a knee (late Uair, aerial close to the ledge, etc etc etc)
Regrabbing is mad cheap, abuse it thoroughly

0Room

Smash Lord
It's really demoralizing for the other player too. They think they're getting out, but in reality it starts all over again, and that will eventually wear down on the other player :p

But yes Huntzie, getting grabbed by Falcon is pretty much the worst thing that a Falco player can do

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
hey guys!
new to this thread. was wondering if I can get some falco/spacie input on a few of my matches I had at this ec tourney. Not sure if I have to "pay dues" in the form of advice myself or something beforehand . . . . . I will though, in time =D
You dont have to watch every match if you dont want to. The first couple (and last match) of the first link and first match of the second link covers most of how I approach the MU.

Im mostly looking for general advice, really. Something along the lines of poor decisions I am making that I really need to get out of my game asap.
Maybe there's a vastly different mindset I need to be having vs falco (and fox, sometimes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnsleOaM0eI&feature=channel_video_title&t=28
first game starts at :30. all my neutral Bs and aerial towardBs are by accident. . . my downBs, are not. . . something Im trying to refine into my game =D

another set, one where I play a less experienced falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLFoA-PMHo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL&t=90s

I was wondering if there was any notable differences in my play/mindset when I was playing a falco that wasn't really well known outside the community.

One specific question: I notice that (in the first mu, especially, but in my other matches, as well) after a missed crossup or a sideB/flub up by a fox/falco, and theyre back winds up facing me, they almost always throw out a SHBair (in what seems to be a panic) and I almost always run into it either w/ poor spacing or b/c im trying to get in a late grab. Is there a huge counter to the bair besides keeping their anxiousness in mind and dd it better for the grab? Maybe trying to trade with a knee or uair might be better when theyre above 80?

any input would be awesome
and, if you maybe wanted to check out a couple other matches I had during that tournament (maybe even the one I had vs swiftbass . . . <_<) and give input on those, that would be even more greatly appreciated. they're on the same channel.
I can post them on here if that would help, too. . . . I just didnt want to spam a bunch of links on one post. =P

Top Bottom