• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon video thread. (NEW UPDATE 7/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Gorfinus:

That first death brought a tear to my eye. I can't tell you how many times I've done that exact same thing though. :( Before the first death was really good though, and I LOVED the spot dodge to avoid the grapple. That made me smile. :)

Great use of the Knee. You don't spam it and when you do use it you make it count. Your use of the gimp knee seems planned which is great as well since it is a viable move in certain situations.

Nice ledgehop -> Uair after you got Baired (I think it was a Bair but it's hard to tell with the quality). Unfortunately you got spot dodged on the followup and then barely missed with Fsmash. I think going for the grab would've been a better option there.

Love the use of AAA combo. I think if the Toon Link had been more thoughtful he could've punished you a couple times due to how long you held the fists of fury for, so just be careful of that. I really liked your idea of doing AAA into Dtilt even though it missed (this was near the very end). Great edgeguarding at the end to seal the deal.

Overall you played a really great match but I can't help but feeling like your opponent is average at best with Toon Link. I'd like to see more of you playing against different people. Also I'd like to see if you're consistently at this level of play or if this was just one good match of yours.

Overall I like what you're doing with Falcon and I plan on integrating some of your better tactics into my personal game.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSUmVGE4jA (the ZSS is the one who put it up)

Here's one of the matches I just played yesterday on Wi-Fi. My wireless connection isn't that great so it was laggy at times but overall I think it is a good match that is pretty representative of my playstyle.

Note: I know I use the Knee too much. It's a bad habit and I'm working on breaking it. lol I also know that I full hop a bit too much on my approaches. Again, it's a bad habit that I'm trying to work on breaking. lol My bad habits come out even more when I get in pressure situations which I'm sure you'll notice in this video.

Let me know what you think of my Falcon though. Anything you think I can improve on, let me hear it because I want to be as good of a Falcon user and I can be. Thanks.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see you're utilizing Falcon's new meta-game. What's making Falcon so unpopular is the population of gamers using him as though his style was the same as it was in Melee.

A little bit slower now, playing a slower, smarter style allows for good use of all of his moves. Judgment seems to play much more of a role when playing him now, Knee or not. My YouTube channel is up, and will start uploading my vids when I get the chance. Me still maining Falcon is, and will continue to yield results.

Iwan

Smash Ace
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSUmVGE4jA (the ZSS is the one who put it up)

Here's one of the matches I just played yesterday on Wi-Fi. My wireless connection isn't that great so it was laggy at times but overall I think it is a good match that is pretty representative of my playstyle.

Note: I know I use the Knee too much. It's a bad habit and I'm working on breaking it. lol I also know that I full hop a bit too much on my approaches. Again, it's a bad habit that I'm trying to work on breaking. lol My bad habits come out even more when I get in pressure situations which I'm sure you'll notice in this video.

Let me know what you think of my Falcon though. Anything you think I can improve on, let me hear it because I want to be as good of a Falcon user and I can be. Thanks.
Very nice Key...i see you take the full hop, "dodge the attack with the second jump" approach to Falcon. A lot of people think that could be the way to go with him. Very nice, haha i KNEW you'd edge grab the Zamus when she was trying to recover. I was like "Ohh...key got him....". lol :p. As for what you could do better? You seem to have a good style down pat, so don't change too much really. I couldn't tell if you were getting juggled a few times because of lag, or because you REALLY wanted to hit your opponent with one of your aerials on the way back to the ground :p. Haha, if you were really trying to land a few hits, forget about it. Just air dodge, get back to the ground, and take it from the top once you've landed safely.

And to ICantWin...completely agreed. I don't use the same approach style that Key uses, but i do play a more conservative, patient, and smarter play style than many other falcon players. As Key showed in that video he does too...and i'm guessing from your post that you also play that way with falcon. Get those videos up of you man :)! Haha, i'll bookmark your youtube page fo sho.

And as i've said endlessly the last couple of days, videos of me will be up aplenty in the coming weeks. Glad to be seeing we're finally getting some nice videos up here.

gorfinus

Smash Rookie
keykid, you did almost win even tho you used the knee about 15 times and hit once or maybe twice. i would recomend you to pracice the timing of it. you can practice against cpu´s who is just jumping and trying to avoid you (practice the timing of the knee, I think it is about 0.25 s after pressing fair). just think how easy that match would been if you did hit (almost) every of them.

mesCo. I noticed something interesting about second match. I think falcons way to win is to be patient, just wait until you oponent makes his mistake, that is when falcon goes to attack with his great speed. if you just run into your oponent you will have the disadventage by not having many high priority attacks. I would guess that the nair is a very usefull move to get close to the oponent and rack up some damage.

please correct me if I am wrong :)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Iwan:

Part of the juggling is when I get too aggressive and part of it is lag. Lately I've been really trying to minimize my aggressive nature when I'm in juggling position but sometimes I just get carried away. Thanks for your comments. :) I look forward to seeing your defensive-minded Falcon. I think that true mastery of Falcon will come when players are able to fuse the best aspects of Falcon's aggressive and defensive styles.

Gorfinus:

Sometimes I actually go for the gimp knee. I find it useful in some situations. You are right about my lack of accuracy though when I go for the sweetspot. Some days I'm really feeling it and I get a lot of them but other days (like this one) I have a hard time getting them to come out right. Like you said though it just takes practice to get it better. Thanks for your comments. :)

I really want to get some videos of me and BananaTrooper dittoing Falcon up. He is REALLY good and I think that we can all take notes from his tactics and style. I know things are a little different when it's Falcon v. Falcon but he has also beaten some well-known people using all sorts of characters with Falcon as well.

I'll also try to get the ZSS to get some more videos of us up.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
And to ICantWin...completely agreed. I don't use the same approach style that Key uses, but i do play a more conservative, patient, and smarter play style than many other falcon players. As Key showed in that video he does too...and i'm guessing from your post that you also play that way with falcon. Get those videos up of you man :)! Haha, i'll bookmark your youtube page fo sho.

And as i've said endlessly the last couple of days, videos of me will be up aplenty in the coming weeks. Glad to be seeing we're finally getting some nice videos up here.
Aha, will do, I've been browsing online for a cheap digital camera I can use to record my matches, have found some pretty decent 200 dollar ones that can plug in to the TV, making quality a hell of a lot better. Not sure when I'll have one, but as soon as I do I'll make sure the vids are up as soon as possible.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Aha, will do, I've been browsing online for a cheap digital camera I can use to record my matches, have found some pretty decent 200 dollar ones that can plug in to the TV, making quality a hell of a lot better. Not sure when I'll have one, but as soon as I do I'll make sure the vids are up as soon as possible.
Sounds good. I had a capture card that broke (when my friend blacks out from drinking too much...he pours water bottles on things, from PS3's to Wii's to capture cards : /....I've nearly killed him like 4 f****** times).

lol...so this summer im either...
A: Buying a capture card RIGHT when i get home.
B: Borrowing my friends digital camera
C: Attempting to find my digital camera (which has been lost for at least a year).

Those are my options....haha. Anyway, i anticipate your videeeooos.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good. I had a capture card that broke (when my friend blacks out from drinking too much...he pours water bottles on things, from PS3's to Wii's to capture cards : /....I've nearly killed him like 4 f****** times).

lol...so this summer im either...
A: Buying a capture card RIGHT when i get home.
B: Borrowing my friends digital camera
C: Attempting to find my digital camera (which has been lost for at least a year).

Those are my options....haha. Anyway, i anticipate your videeeooos.
Ah I can't wait to get them uploaded either, my only qualms are that the people I play with aren't the best, but I should have time to go to some events.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Ah I can't wait to get them uploaded either, my only qualms are that the people I play with aren't the best, but I should have time to go to some events.
I'll be playing some pretty stiff competition this summer...chillen, AZ, chu, azen, eastcoast eddy, special K....to name the sick nasty players :p. I fully expect to take a beating, but i'll do my best to at least have a respectful showing.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
I'll be playing some pretty stiff competition this summer...chillen, AZ, chu, azen, eastcoast eddy, special K....to name the sick nasty players :p. I fully expect to take a beating, but i'll do my best to at least have a respectful showing.
Ya, at XESTICLE, PC, M2K, Cort, all the good peepz were there, glad I wasn't seeded against them in the solos.

But due to my current living situation, the only brawl I can get are the ones with my friends close by. Only two of em are really worth playing, as they actually prove to be a challenge sometimes :D.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Ya, at XESTICLE, PC, M2K, Cort, all the good peepz were there, glad I wasn't seeded against them in the solos.

But due to my current living situation, the only brawl I can get are the ones with my friends close by. Only two of em are really worth playing, as they actually prove to be a challenge sometimes :D.
I'm lucky enough to have a roommate who's been following and playing smash for as long as i have...so I'm pretty lucky. Although, i will say he's probably one of the ONLY people i play normally. I missed a ton of tournaments at virginia tech (a school close by that Chillen and a lot of other smashers go to). Sucks : /...wish i could have gone but up until recently i've been really busy.

But meh...whatever. I have the whole summer to get back up to speed :p

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
IcantWin, I would recommend a video capture card over a digital camera if your primary use for the camera is going to be recording Smash. My first videos were taken with a pretty nice digital camera, and honestly they sucked. I then upgraded to the capture card and haven't looked back since. Much better option than a video camera.

Reaver:

I do roll a lot and I think I do it most when I'm not sure what to do right then. lol It's a decent time-buyer. lol I should work on that though.

Edit: This definitely deserves a place in this thread: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=afXqthLGRck

And this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUpctFjPrA&feature=related

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
IcantWin, I would recommend a video capture card over a digital camera if your primary use for the camera is going to be recording Smash. My first videos were taken with a pretty nice digital camera, and honestly they sucked. I then upgraded to the capture card and haven't looked back since. Much better option than a video camera.

Reaver:

I do roll a lot and I think I do it most when I'm not sure what to do right then. lol It's a decent time-buyer. lol I should work on that though.

Edit: This definitely deserves a place in this thread: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=afXqthLGRck

And this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUpctFjPrA&feature=related
Hmm, alright then, I can't seem to find any online, do you have any links to provide me with the best one you could find, or at least a cheap one?

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
Reaver:

[/url]
i think he was referring to me and i do it for that same reason plus idk if sidestepping is better then rolling in Falcons case i once heard it was a pretty slow sidestep.
(if im wrong then i take that back lol)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Ok so BananaTrooper (KÀi!!) and I (KEY) played a few matches last night on Wi-Fi that I live captured so as I upload them onto YouTube I'll also post them here. If it will let you watch the video in high definition (little button below the video on the right) I would highly recommend it because the quality difference is pretty big.

My YouTube Profile

KEY (Falcon) vs. KÀi!! (Falcon) at Battlefield
KEY (Falcon) vs. KÀi!! (Falcon) at Pirate Ship
KEY (Falcon) vs. KÀi!! (Falcon) at Final Destination 1
KEY (Falcon) vs. KÀi!! (Falcon) at Final Destination 2
KEY (Falcon) vs. KÀi!! (Falcon) at Final Destination 3
KEY (Falcon) vs. KÀi!! (Falcon) at Final Destination 4

KÀi!!(Falcon) vs. Unknown (Pikachu) at Final Destination

Enjoy and leave comments!

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Good games Key. But dammit to hell why must you insist on picking stages like frigate orpheon, novelty stages drive me nuts lol :)

For the rest of you guys, If you're only gonna watch one of these, make it the 2nd one on Final Destination :)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
No, don't watch the second one! Only watch the one at Pirate Ship! lol

Oh and don't worry about Frigate Orpheon. Freaking Windows Movie Maker broke the live feed and now the file is unreadable. So it's in the trash can and no one will ever see the Frigate Orpheon match. lol I'm so pissed because I actually won like 2 or 3 times today I think. lol Oh well we'll get more I'm sure.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Good games Key. But dammit to hell why must you insist on picking stages like frigate orpheon, novelty stages drive me nuts lol :)

For the rest of you guys, If you're only gonna watch one of these, make it the 2nd one on Final Destination :)
frigate orpheon is banned but i like it alot and think it should be legallized its pretty fair. to bad im like some of the few who like that stage:urg:

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
frigate orpheon is banned but i like it alot and think it should be legallized its pretty fair. to bad im like some of the few who like that stage:urg:
Depending on what online community you go to, sometimes it's banned and sometimes it's not. At Smash Brawl Rankings for example it's a counterpick (along with Port Town which I love so much). I really like the stage list over there.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Depending on what online community you go to, sometimes it's banned and sometimes it's not. At Smash Brawl Rankings for example it's a counterpick (along with Port Town which I love so much). I really like the stage list over there.
i dont play online due to button delay i mostly play at tournaments or local

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Here is a Best of 3 ranked match series that I played yesterday against a guy named Masknight. He is currently ranked #16 at Smash Brawl Rankings. Let me know what you think of my game. By the way Port Town is a counterpick at Smash Brawl Rankings just in case anyone tries to say "hey that stage is banned" or anything like that.

Match 1 of 3
Match 2 of 3
Match 3 of 3

Thanks for watching and I look forward to your feedback! :)

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
Here is a Best of 3 ranked match series that I played yesterday against a guy named Masknight. He is currently ranked #16 at Smash Brawl Rankings. Let me know what you think of my game. By the way Port Town is a counterpick at Smash Brawl Rankings just in case anyone tries to say "hey that stage is banned" or anything like that.

Match 1 of 3
Match 2 of 3
Match 3 of 3

dam yo all i can say is u need to work on ur approach or not even that its ur selection of attacks, i saw the first and the third one and in both of those wat was killing u was the way u try to get close to ur opponent and the attacks u decided to throw at that time. also i cant judge u cuz this is WiFi but since its the only thing i have its ur approach and move selection that u have to work on... cant beleive they have ranked WiFi matches lol

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord

Match 1 of 3
Match 2 of 3
Match 3 of 3

Watching you getting owned by that Wolf in the last video made me really mad. :mad:

Sakurai ****ing sucks at balancing games.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Sakurai ****ing sucks at balancing games.
If he's indeed the one who planned it all from A to Z, Amen to that. But I doubt he was alone.

**** it, he's the easiest scapegoat. Sakurai sucks at balancing games. :chuckle:

But you know what's worse? No patching. Nothing. Soul Calibur IV will be patchable and playable online (probably a real online, not the ****in piece of **** "online" we have with Brawl so pedophiles can't get to little Johnny).

And don't tell me "it's because the Wii doesn't have any hardrive". It's technically patchable still, even considering the space available on the Wii's flash... thingie or whatever.

In short, **** Brawl online "capabilities", and anyone defending them à tort et à travers should shut the **** up.

Edit: on topic, KeyKid, I congratulate you for sticking to Falcon, considering that piece of garbage can't even hit anything, let alone fight. Hell, my grandmother got more priority than Falcon. Hell, my dead great-grandmother, God bless her soul, got more priority than Falcon.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
If he's indeed the one who planned it all from A to Z, Amen to that. But I doubt he was alone.
Well, I'm pretty sure that he had something to do with Snake and Metaknight being broken.
Snake=broken due to Hideo Kojima sucking Sakurai's balls.
Metaknight=Sakurai likes it when his characters are Gods in his games.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Thanks for the input guys.

Revolution: I do have trouble on my approach a lot of the time. I also have some really bad habits I need to break (the Knee for example lol). As for move choice, what do you feel I should use more of? I know I full hop aerial too much so don't bother telling me that, but if you have any other comments let me know. Thanks. :) Also if you didn't watch the second video you should because I actually played pretty well in that one. Still have the same bad habits but I guess I did other things better or else I wouldn't've two stocked him.

Y34HDUD3!!: Yes, it is sad isn't it? Part of the problem was my poor play but the imbalance of the two characters played a large role in my defeat as well. Wolf is especially brutal on Wi-Fi since he is such a spammy Smash/projectile character. Seriously I think Wolf is top tier in Wi-Fi matches. lol And Falcon's obviously not. In fact he is probably BELOW bottom tier in Wi-Fi matches. :( Oh well that comes with the territory of playing poorly designed games. :(

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
I know I full hop aerial too much so don't bother telling me that
But that's seriously your biggest problem. Oh, and the fact that you get trapped into wanting to land a certain move so much that you spam it until one connects, regardless of damage accumulated along the way (you did this with dtilt once or twice. I do this too, admittedly, but it's a bad habit that many need to break).

SH Uair more. If you're playing against a character with a relatively reasonable hitbox (that is, not disjointed) then you can actually approach with uairs. You just need to be very careful.

This doesn't apply to short characters either, come to think of it. Well, it does, but hardly. Situational at best, but uair is a good option for approaches as opposed to your full hop->double hop->fast fall->bair/knee nonsense. I think that's just you trying to compensate for timing in Wi-Fi, but regardless, you could do without it. Just buckle down and get used to the timing for the landing. It's different, I know, but I have to deal with it too, and it's manageable for me.

I know you said not to mention it, but just try to cut down on your airtime overall. Keep your aerials low and fast. Falcon has historically been played this way, and he still lends himself to this style, at least somewhat. Bair is not your most solid approach, so get used to mixing it in with a single hit from nair, SH running dairs, or low u-airs.

Also, as obvious as it is, learn to aim your uairs better and you will perform at such a higher level in the air. Seriously, getting the versatility of the hit angle from the uair is Falcon's final saving grace. It's a godsend, without question.

Oh, and you spot dodge frequently when you're out of range of even the tip of a Falcon Kick (vs BTrooper). I don't understand this. Cute though.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman

Match 1 of 3
Match 2 of 3
Match 3 of 3

Don't have much time to critique, but from what I saw, just need to get some reg matches in, wi-fi eats me up when I play w. Falcon.

PS: Loved Match 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom