• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
My critique of the famitsu scan of Captain Manly:

Where do I start. . . .UGH BLOOD FALCON WHY AREN'T YOU HERE ;_;.
That said, let's get to the good stuff. His Uptaunt Flaring fire from his very being is manly, & should be noted, His Side taunt being "C'mon!" is very appropriate & you should feel honored he commands your existence to come on! His Down Taunt which is objectively the best taunt in Super Smash Brothers ever, is very necessary & will forever make fans their hero be Captain Falcon. His palettes beside his red Blood Falcon-barely-esque palette, are all magnificent. His green palette & his black/gray palette are still by far my favorites. His more blue palette than his default Indigo palette having a gold pauldron that's more gold than his Gold palette's pauldron resembling Dr. Stewart, is weird but will not question it. His Pink & manly palette that has convinced everyone at Nintendo that Pink is a manly & fantastic color to be in more character's palettes was a wise decision. Golden Falcon is majestic & Dr. Stewart is awesome, no complaints. I'm a bit confused on his 8th palette as I don't recall it's origin so I'd love for anyone who knows point that out for me, much appreciation for my favorite Smash character.

His moves shown in the images, peak my interest. His knee gives off a gleam of shine that portrays hope & dreams coming true. This is especially great news & a good sign it's buffed up again to it's almost formidable status of Melee power. It guides me in the right path of Justice. The image beside it displays his Nipples Spike, which pleases my nipples if I say so myself. It's stomping animation gives off the impression it appears to get more control & may be a true Spike, stronger knock-back perhaps. I can't make out what's going on in the UpB image of his Falcon Dive, but I'd have to guess that the explosion he creates when releasing from the less-manly being, Falcon shoots straight up in the air, no longer possibly gimping himself for grabbing onto someone & yelling "HYESZ!", hypothetically speaking this is great news. The Falcon Punch looks underwhelming with good reason. Any more notice of it's power would of cracked that image breakign it into nothingness. For that I'm proud I'm able to glimpse upon such awesome-ness, & proceed to critique his images. It resembles a Falcon flapping it's wings down swooping when flying rather than a Falcon coming straight at you face-on. His Raptor Boost SideB looks, fantastic, do you see the galaxy he held in his own hands he could of annihilated?! It appears the launch is straight up vertically, which is a good sign that it may have combo-potential & follow-ups are guaranteed. Raptor Boost to Knee of Justice anyone?:shades: Falcon Kick looks more dynamic as he throws his arm way back to thrust his whole body rearing down to a low ground level pushing on ahead gallantly with his golden armored boot. Go you majestic Falcon you, go.:shades: I should mention that his DownB Falcon Kick may be the harbinger of Fire, since a past PotD revealing Falcon Kick, appeared to take no effect of slowing down when pitted against Charizard's FlameThrower NeutralB. Either his Falcon Kick gives none about Flame-based attacks, or it's buffed.Those two likely scenarios are the only logical outcomes that could come to anyone's mind.

Last edited:

Ting Sing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CADANAMAN
Yeah, Blood Falcon is in. I can't wait to try out Falcon in Sm4sh. I heard landing with the knee and down-air is really laggy now, but MUCH more powerful :chuckle:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
"Blood Falcon" is in. That is, a similar pallette to Blood Falcon. What we all wanted was a full Blood Falcon costume, with spike pads, a skull on his helmet and the "Hell Hawk/Blood Hawk" on his back. Well, at least all his other costumes are glorious. And by glorious I mean better than anything else I've seen Falcon wearing in all Smash Bros. iterations.

Now I'll proceed to link some videos with Falcon footage.

A glimpse of Falcon's custom manliness (starts at 1:31)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_ddornf04
Lightning Falcon Kick? Are you embedding Justice into Falcon Kick? AWESOME

Falcon letting Bowser win, not without a beautiful, manly, glorious knee to let Bowser remember he isn't as manly as our hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlcLu7guZxU
Also, the best freaking stage the world has ever witnessed.

A plethora of Falcons bring awesomeness for a Lucario to witness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI_f2hoPgkA
Best stage ever included.

I have no words, in a very positive way, about his custom sliding Falcon Punch and electric Falcon Kick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk5K7YImlLo
It doesn't lose power! 30% sweetspotted, 24% sourspotted! (It seems to have slightly less knockback though)

Giant Falcon shows DK and Bowser Jr. what's up, then goes away because his time is so precious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2uPr8l69SU

Falcon seduces ZSS, then knees a crate because nothing's manlier than kneeing a crate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqMs4OHSiU
We can see that his dash attack looks a LOT less laggy, ftilt seems faster too.

Forget Mario. This game has only one king.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJrUReadRc
Also fsmash's range looks buffed.

oksas

oak-sauce
wow wtf in the ZSS video he killed with a nair. safe to assume that's just because of Classic mode difficulty?

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
I love the look of C.Falcons move-set in Smash 4. Some of the custom moves look very interesting as well.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
"Blood Falcon" is in. That is, a similar pallette to Blood Falcon. What we all wanted was a full Blood Falcon costume, with spike pads, a skull on his helmet and the "Hell Hawk/Blood Hawk" on his back. Well, at least all his other costumes are glorious. And by glorious I mean better than anything else I've seen Falcon wearing in all Smash Bros. iterations.

Now I'll proceed to link some videos with Falcon footage.

I have no words, in a very positive way, about his custom sliding Falcon Punch and electric Falcon Kick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk5K7YImlLo
It doesn't lose power! 30% sweetspotted, 24% sourspotted! (It seems to have slightly less knockback though)
I have a couple things to say:
  1. Who remembers the Falcon Punch from 64 being a reliable recovery tool? (Think bigger than that)
  2. Shulk's Trailer has shown us Captain Falcon doing a B-Reversed Falcon Punch, which indirectly soft-confirms that WaveBouncing returns as well. (hopefully)
These two things combined into one. Falcon's Custom Special Sliding Falcon Punch.

I can speak for all of us when I say, that Falcon's B-Reversed Falcon Punch, or his WaveBounced Sliding Falcon Punch, will make us soar across the air as if we are thee Falcon itself. Jigglypuff's pounds? Please. WBSFP will be top tier horizontal recovery.

This is huge. Falcon has an amazing horizontal recovery move THAT JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE THEE FALCON PUNCH!

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Any of you guys watching the Treehouse Stream? Captain Falcon was shown not that long ago, and while their wasn't a lot shown as the guy using him wasn't very good with him, there were a few things I could derive from it
- Stomp -> Knee (or anything really) is going to be back
- Falcon Kick seems to be faster on recovery
- uair seems to be tremendously useful. It looks fast again and has big range. Uair will probably be solid combo stuff again
- The football dash attack isn't as garbage as it has been. I don't know if this is going to matter at all to him in the long run for him, but it's buffed in terms of knockback. Dunno about recovery

Darkspines22

Smash Cadet
Ohhh, man. Falcon is back on top.
So I got the Japanese version of the game on the eShop, and I instantly went to Falcon. And I can safely say that he is not back to his Melee glory, which I was very disappointed with.
Changes/note worthy things for those of you who are interested:
- new down tilt animation, sends people straight horizontal and not diagonally up anymore
- knee sweet spot is still Brawl style, and the knee has insane landing lag
- down air has insane landing lag
- he has one of the best dash grabs in the game now-he lunges forward an insane distant. This would be good if it wasn't for the fact that if you dash grab close to the opponent, he will go past them.
- when you hit someone in the air with his up tilt, they get sent down (I need to test this, though)
- up throw sends peole very high up, but doesn't kill. Puts them too far away for combos a lot of the time
- down throw to knee is possible, but it misses most of the time
- smash attacks aren't as powerful as melee still
- Nair is a good approach tool
- side b has an insanely large/long amount of hit stub when you hit someone, and it sends people higher vertically when you hit them now. This makes it harder to combo after, if at all.

He struggles to end combos because of the knee nerf

I've found myself struggling to approach with him online, and over all, he isn't as good as he should be. The knee needs to go back to how it used to be

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask, I'll test anything out

Oh, and short hop down air should not be used unless you KNOW that you're going to land the move, because the landing lag on it is horrible.

But in short, he won't be high tier. Low-mid tier is my guess, with mid being optimistic. He can't combo as easily as he should be able to, and he struggles to kill opponents and approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
So I got the Japanese version of the game on the eShop, and I instantly went to Falcon. And I can safely say that he is not back to his Melee glory, which I was very disappointed with.
Changes/note worthy things for those of you who are interested:
- new down tilt animation, sends people straight horizontal and not diagonally up anymore
- knee sweet spot is still Brawl style, and the knee has insane landing lag
- down air has insane landing lag
- he has one of the best dash grabs in the game now-he lunges forward an insane distant. This would be good if it wasn't for the fact that if you dash grab close to the opponent, he will go past them.
- when you hit someone in the air with his up tilt, they get sent down (I need to test this, though)
- up throw sends peole very high up, but doesn't kill. Puts them too far away for combos a lot of the time
- down throw to knee is possible, but it misses most of the time
- smash attacks aren't as powerful as melee still
- Nair is a good approach tool
- side b has an insanely large/long amount of hit stub when you hit someone, and it sends people higher vertically when you hit them now. This makes it harder to combo after, if at all.

He struggles to end combos because of the knee nerf

I've found myself struggling to approach with him online, and over all, he isn't as good as he should be. The knee needs to go back to how it used to be

If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask, I'll test anything out

Oh, and short hop down air should not be used unless you KNOW that you're going to land the move, because the landing lag on it is horrible.

But in short, he won't be high tier. Low-mid tier is my guess, with mid being optimistic. He can't combo as easily as he should be able to, and he struggles to kill opponents and approach.
I learned a few new things reading your changes, I've realized his tilts aren't that great with the exception of F-tilt being god-like spacing ground-game tool especially with pivoting. And I knew of the Knee & Nipples Spike having huge landing lag cooldown, which is fair I guess, all that's needed to be done is go for them if you know you can commit to them & they'll land successfully, or just FH them. I noticed his dash grab slide distance improved! I remember seeing it in an online 3ds match, though like you said the issue with it is he dashes past characters if you do it relatively close to the person, spacing is all that's needed for that. That U-tilt launching them downward is something I want to hopefully be true, I'd like that since the move itself coming down would make it logical. What's U-Throw's damage %?

Going on, Idk if I would argue his Smash attacks being as powerful as his Melee version, however you may wanna note that Falcon's F-smash has a huge disjointed hit-box on his elbow, that is no joke. Idk about his U-smash but his D-smash is a moderate KO move. I haven't seen N-air used that much so I wanna see that.

And for the N-air, does the falling N-air's 1st hit-box prop them up slightly to follow-up for grab / jab1 / jump footstool?

Legit questions:
  • I need to be 100% absolutely sure, is WaveBouncing is in the game? I really think it is, but I haven't seen evidence. Following it up, does the aerial mobility of an airborne WaveBounced Falcon Punch alter his movement?
  • What ledge-hop aerial options snap the ledge again besides ledge-hop U-air?
  • Do we have an advantage window on grab releasing characters airborne with Knee?
  • Is the turn-around F-smash from Brawl back in Sm4sh? (salmon smash too)
  • Is Raptor Grabbing the Ledge back? (Raptor Grabbing is when you snap-ledge with Raptor Boost, you have to be extremely close practically face-first against the ledge)

Last edited:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70x4n4MPMZw
1:31 We can see him acting much faster out of Falcon Kick's ending lag than he did in Brawl (though it's still fairly laggy)
1:37 First hit nair leading to jabs @ Masonomace Masonomace
1:41 nair's hitboxes seem better than in Brawl
1:49 Falcon apparently can SH Airdodge and double jump before hitting the ground. Seems great.
2:02 Gentleman has much, much more knockback than it had in Brawl
2:23 Falcon Kick, too!
2:28 No double jump refresh out of aerial Falcon Kick tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6RB-iRtQOY
0:58 Yup, utilt spikes aerial opponents.
2:52 Uthrow deals 7%. Meh.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Awesome shares @ Silvalfo Silvalfo !
I learned even more about Falcon including that moment he grabbed ZSS ledge-grabbing even with her intangible frames, Falcon gave none about her & proceeded with his command grab of HYESZ! Doing 20% with an initial 5% grab moment, to a 15% explosion of HYESZ is insayian!

HYESZ confirmed to be top tier grab damage. Should we be doing more landing N-airs to Falcon Dive grabbing? 6% + 20% = This should be an obvious given setup to look for!

keninblack

Smash Cadet
One thing I am noticing with how the game is currently and with Falcon that I want people to test for me or answer.

Nair/Uair seem to be his main combo tools in the air for sure, but everybody keeps trying to finish it with knee, usually resulting in getting the weak one.

Now I could be wrong and stupid and people have already tested it to no avail, but... has anyone tried his up-b?

Jiggs has some of her 64 stuff back into the swing of things, so maybe thats something you can do with Falcon?

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
One thing I am noticing with how the game is currently and with Falcon that I want people to test for me or answer.

Nair/Uair seem to be his main combo tools in the air for sure, but everybody keeps trying to finish it with knee, usually resulting in getting the weak one.

Now I could be wrong and stupid and people have already tested it to no avail, but... has anyone tried his up-b?

Jiggs has some of her 64 stuff back into the swing of things, so maybe thats something you can do with Falcon?
His upB deals a hefty 20% damage, but doesn't have epic knockback like 64. At least it doesn't leave you vulnerable when hitting an opponent at low %. I'm not sure about how it works in terms of range and frame data, though.

I think we should have a thread for Falcon Video Collection, and should already begin discussing his strategies and our matchup experience. I don't even have a 3DS, but when the Wii U version comes I'll be sure to help as much as I can hahah.

keninblack

Smash Cadet
Well if it ends being like Brawl when percent lead is pretty important, ending the combo with a 20% move is pretty nice.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Status