• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's Alternate Shieldgrab

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
We all know how to do a standard shieldgrab with any character: Press A while shielding. In this thread, we will be discussing Captain Falcon's seldom-discussed ALTERNATE shieldgrab, which is performed by press Up B while shielding with tap jump off, as I am honestly surprised by how little discussion there is about this.

Advantages over the standard shieldgrab:

1. Has far better range
2. Can be used to shieldgrab opponents who attack Captain Falcon's shield from behind (by reversing the Up B)
3. Deals significantly more damage than any of Captain Falcon's standard throws

Disadvantages:

1. Takes far longer to come out than his standard shieldgrab
2. It's much more punishable if it misses

Captain Falcon's alternate shieldgrab is valuable for out-of-shield punishing:

1. Attacks where the user lands too far away from Captain Falcon to be punished by a standard shieldgrab, while their ending lag is enough for them to be punished by the alternate shieldgrab, such as Ike's Fair
2. Attacks with big ending lag that hit Captain Falcon's shield from behind, such as King Dedede's dash attack

MoonSheep

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5172-2399-7444
I should probably use it more. I mainly use it to punish people spamming counters in the air.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
The damage of the throws doesn't matter because throws offer better options after them, Dthrow it's still his best throw to rack up damage with combos, and back throw can be used to gimp.
I agree this one is good to throw around to prevent move stalling, bit it's not something you should think of doing too often.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Interesting... I'd never actually considered his UpB as an alt grab before. I'm going to have to do some experimenting now! I'm sure it'll be very handy to use every now and again. Thanks for highlighting this :)

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I actually consider Falcon Strike the better option of the 3 UpBs, soooo... :\

But this is actually good to have in mind. If your fingers are quick you can do this easily.

BoBoddy

Smash Rookie
Might be good for a mixup, but I wouldn't want to use it more than once or twice in a set due to punishes.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Might be good for a mixup, but I wouldn't want to use it more than once or twice in a set due to punishes.
Every time you shield a laggy attack like King Dedede's dash attack or Ike's Fair, you can punish with Up B unless you mess up. No need to mix it up in some situations as it's guaranteed you'll land it.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I did notice the range on the up+b is pretty deceptive. Definitely a good mixup but also can be easy to react to. Still, it's a nice addition to our repertoire. Thanks for the tip!

Xnpio

Smash Cadet
I'm actually a gigantic fan of the Up-B OoS. I use it in Melee from time to time also, (LOL). Used it in Brawl, and am really happy that it is a pretty solid option for some cases. I've found it to be an extra mindgame and scare in matches that are last stock high percent, (assuming really high percents, like 150), because it can kill depending on positioning! If your opponent is aware, not only do they have to watch out for regular grabs, and whatever strong hitboxes you throw out, but anything you shield is even more dangerous now.

Top Bottom