• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Careers I WON'T be miserable doing the rest of my life

I'm running out of ideas here and I'm already about to get my associates :( not good. So post me some careers that are hopefully both fulfilling/exciting and decent to high paying and I'll shoot em down or praise you. But getting started..

Bad ideas:

Dentist: NO. I do NOT want my hands in someone's mouth the rest of my life.

Software Engineer: Yeah, cuz I really want to spend 12 hour days sitting behind a computer programming codes.

Teacher: May be fulfilling, but who wants to live off of Ramen Noodles the rest of their life?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No one here can tell you what you would enjoy for the rest of your life. I want to do record production which requires tons of interaction with bands, tons of time with hardware, and a lot of work. But, it's something I really enjoy, and once I'm done college (I want to get a degree in a totally different subject so if music doesn't work I'll have a fall back) I'm going to music school for that, music business (so I can manage bands), and guitar (so I can teach, play in bigger bands, and get plenty jobs). That career path IS a lucrative one that tons of kids want; I just know the work required and the opportunities to take to make it happen.

I craved to be a software engineer so I don't see anything too wrong with that. It's your call, not anyone elses.

Thats a good point there king, but at this point in my life I need all the suggestions I can get! Basically I'm still finding out whats out there, and thats why I love hearing people's ideas of the perfect career future.

I'm considering medicine... but I'm really squeamish, i.e. I faint at the sight of blood. Wondering if thats something I can get over or just what...

But now I'm gonna go talk to my counselor about electrical engineering. If anyone knows anything about that, please do tell! Otherwise, please continue.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
heard of US armed forces ASVAB? its the military's test to find out what you can do and what you'd likely be good at.

of course, taking it and scoring high means the branches wont leave you alone untill you tell them that you have asthma or something.

Basically i'd start with a career eval. test to find out what you are interested in, and build on it from there

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Real Estate. Biggest joke of a career ever, but it works. All you really need to have is a good eye on what risks to take and maybe some funding to get you started. My friend's dad does this for a living and all he does is sit at home all day waiting for checks to come in the mail. I dont know, sounds like an unfulfilling life to me, but you might like that.

I'll probably work at a Target somewhere. A career and money aren't things that I put on my priority list. If I can get through a typical day alright, I'll be fine.

EDIT: The ASVAB is a joke. >: (

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
They made us take the ASVAB at my high school. I don't even remember getting the test results.

Real estate doesn't sound too bad. My friend's grandma does it in San Diego, and she's a multi millionare.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Haha. I wonder if your school's test had the same questions mine did.

Do you wish to help orphans? NO!
Do you wish to aid the needy? NO!
Do you want to explore ancient ruins? N-.... YES!

I'm not kidding about the last question. It popped up out of nowhere.
And I'll be in a cubicle my whole life according to ASVAB.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Dutch Air Force all the way. Exciting, fulfilling, and good paying. Yep, can't wait for my first test so I can show them what I'm made of!

drcossack

Smash Ace
I honestly have no idea what I am going to do
and it scares the **** outta me.
I'm starting my senior year of college in September. I don't either.

I'd prefer to play poker for 10 years, then retire. The idea of a 9 to 5 job just isn't appealing to me - I suffer from terminal lazyitis. I do intend to finish college however, 'cause if poker doesn't work out, I'll need some way to make money.

I have to agree with Crimson - Do what you want, and what makes you happy. My half-brother loves animals (he's a veterinarian, and a **** good one), but whenever there's a death in the family, all he ever talks about is how much he hates the job.

Spot

Smash Cadet
Become a fitness trainer or a college professor. Professors make a good amount of money I think. Also, they get summer vacation.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Broadway.....if you can act, dance and or sing.....

It's what im aiming for my future...it's a really fun, rewarding career choice
I'm a performing arts major as of now, until I find what my real major is.

I would definately not reccomend shooting for Broadway. Even though it looks fun and everything, you'll still be poor, and you'll be doing the same show, every night, monday through saturday, for months and months.

Plus, the odds of being in one are hard enough already.

If you're truly shooting for a career in performing, go for film.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I want to become a writer but it's general knowledge that writers make crappy wages. So I too, need to search for a primary job while I write on the side. As far as balancing the two, I'll probably get into real estate since I intend to become a Business major and an English minor.

Just think of something your interested in and go for it. I don't give two craps about what job I have as long as it supports me and I can still write freely. But that's just me. And by my sentence, I mean working hard, not crappy jobs. I'll gladly do manual labor but waving a sign that says "Turn Left" isn't something I'd get into...

Awesome! All new ideas I haven't thought about:

Real Estate <---- I see money... here
College Professor <---- here
Fitness Trainer <----- here
Broadway <----here
and of course /
The Dutch Armed Forces. <-/ And maybe in the special ops assassins unit here.

But a new idea just hit me: Patent attorney-- the money attorney. Helping people keep their ideas safe sounds good to me!

Edit* and where do you go about finding those career evaluations? Colleges, right?

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
If you don't want to be a software engineer but you're good at it then

A) You're insane and

B) Work for the CIA, they might take you into their intelligence department

I want to work in medicine, but 8 years of medical school...

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Well this is really all useless unless you tell us what you're interested in. You need to figure not only what you're interested in, but how good you are at it.
How much do these things interest you?:
Science
Math
Social sciences (like economics)
Humanities (english, history, philosophy)
Physical Activity
Leadership

How good are you at those things? And, what else are you looking for? A job where you'll be happy, a job where you'll make a lot of money, a job with both? A job with tons of hours, or a job with fewer hours? What about prestige?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Stop looking for a job for money. You will kill yourself earlier that way. Money jobs are over saturated because everyone wants them.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I hate to act as a joker to you when you're in dire need of a job career but...

Look at Mario. He's a plumber and he's doing a **** good job of that. xDD

Master_Pig

Smash Cadet
I can't tell you what you wouldn't be miserable doing, but I can help. Just thing of your hobbies/interests and try to find something that involves them. Enjoying your career is vital in choosing one you won't be miserable doing.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I'm a Culinary Arts Major. I'm going to second in Pastry. The classes are so funnnn. You learn alot too. Most culinary schools take about a year and a half to two years to complete too.

One of my life dreams is to travel around the world and after I get all my crap done. I'm going to work on a cruise ship working as a chef.

I hope my plans might spark an interest for you.

Rage.

Smash Ace
If you find something you love to do
youll never have to work a day in your life.

You know yourself better than anyone
you should figure out what you like to do

psicicle

Smash Ace
profesional juggling?

Yoyoing?

Job couselor?

Computer builder and seller? (Some serious money can be made in this)

Foriegn exchange investing?

Start a pyramid scheme?

Start a company?

Test video games?

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Ummmm engineering?
Mechanical is very nice, if you can keep up.
Aeronotical is also fun... as is biomedical, but u need med school AND programming skills as well as high lvl math for that..
Lastly, nuclear engineering (what i was in the navy for beforei broke my ankle) would be fun.. ^_^

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Biomedical engineering isn't med school, med school=MD. Biomedical is a lot of engineering and math courses, and fewer regular biology courses.

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Well, from what i understand (im in engineering currently), your right, its not real MED school...
Its Engineering, mathematics (up to basic physics, normally), Biology+Chemistry classes (more than u think, trust me) and then programming (since MOST biomed's work with things that involve computers.)

It tends to be a 6 year degree, with only 60k starting salary.
Where as a mechanical engineer, what im specializing in, is more your "applicable" sciences (finding a solution to certain problems. My cousin is a professor @ st thomas in st paul, and during this summer he has to work on the Joint strike fighter for the military and find a way to cool their 17 rows 8 quad core processors without electricity, wind or pumps.) But, typically, u need to go far into math for that one... are ya into problem solving and math? Thatll be the next 4 years of your life (school) and then after that its less mathematically demanding

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
It probably differs from program to program. At my school, the only biology requirements are two semesters of general bio, and one semester anatomy/physiology. Chem requirements are just two semesters general chem and one semester organic. The rest are, for the most part, math and engineering-specific classes, with a few exceptions here or there.

I'm not a BME major, I'm a molecular and cell bio major, but I've got a friend who's BME.

Hyrulean21

Smash Apprentice
I say just find something you love to do and go from there. Money shouldn't be a consideration, because you'll be miserable if its not something you love. You'll probably do the job you want for the rest of your life, but if you find something you don't like, you'll always be jumping as well. Not stable, not suggested.

And I remember the ASVAB, I think I got some engineering thing, which made sense, but at the time I wanted to be a musician, the other side of the pie chart. I lauged to myself. Now I am a performance and recording arts major. So I found a way to combine my two loves, math and music. And its awesome. There's my two cents.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
The "don't worry about money" route isn't practical. You might be miserable if you do something you dislike, but you'll also be miserable if you're trying to scrape enough money just to get by. Find a balance between the two. Of course, sometimes, you can have both.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
GoldShadow said:
Find a balance between the two. Of course, sometimes, you can have both.
Kind of like having your pie and eating it too. Only the pie is a cake and the cake is life and life is a b****.

I just wish writing was more lucrative...

So have you decided what you wanted to do yet, AHotGreasedUpJigglyPuff4Luvin'?

Top Bottom