• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Hmm.... You have falcon in shield. Do you continue to block his retreat options such as spacing nair on shield or just grab and risk a possible spot dodge?
If I think he's gonna hold shield then I grab, and if he might roll then I'll dash in close/attack, and if I think he will attack then I get in close and just wait and see what he does(occasionally attacking first.)

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
PP! Though I am not a Marth main, I have a question I'd like to ask you (I don't know where else to ask this, and the Marth boards are overall smarter than the Peach boards LOL); I'm having trouble with mix ups. It doesn't instinctively come to my head that I need to mix something up, and sometimes ideas for mix ups don't really come up. How do I build a mentality for not doing the same thing over and over? Everytime I do fix it, I forget the next day; so im not sure on how to enforce this. Help from anyone would be appreciated!

D

Deleted member

umbreon

what are good websites for used-car shopping?
cargurus.com

cars.com

kbb.com

craigslist

specialty forums for the make you're looking for.

we can keep going. that should keep you busy for a few days.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
PP! Though I am not a Marth main, I have a question I'd like to ask you (I don't know where else to ask this, and the Marth boards are overall smarter than the Peach boards LOL); I'm having trouble with mix ups. It doesn't instinctively come to my head that I need to mix something up, and sometimes ideas for mix ups don't really come up. How do I build a mentality for not doing the same thing over and over? Everytime I do fix it, I forget the next day; so im not sure on how to enforce this. Help from anyone would be appreciated!
Are you looking for help on not being predictable? Be more specific as to what you are trying to mix up. But yes, we are much smarter here :]

You should probably also specify against what characters/situations/or even weight class

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
First consider everything you do. If you don't know everything you do, then watch yourself more closely in matches or look for habits you have in matches(it's not hard it's your own brain after all.) Think about why you make every single decision.

Once you have that, then you can decide how people can avoid your current habits and that's when you can build your habits and change them to cover more options or to adapt with/ahead of the opponent.

Or you could always just tell yourself to do a couple different general things like "be more patient," "attack more," "stay moving" and see if that influences your matches well enough.

The point is everyone is different and it'll be work but getting to basics is how I always think people should improve. =)

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
So generally your saying to watch what I do in matches/ tell myself to change things up and I will fix this problem over time? GAH, okay , I understand :) Its just that the few things I do need to work on "take time" and sometimes it gets discouraging to not get instant gratification, but that means I will just push harder.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
you should get instant results if you're observing yourself. you watch what you do, you see it, you remember it, you evaluate it. it's that easy lol.

The Business

Smash Journeyman
you should get instant results if you're observing yourself. you watch what you do, you see it, you remember it, you evaluate it. it's that easy lol.
I used to play StarCraft Broodwar, and this advice is hella true for that game as well. When you're playing starcraft or smash brothers, in the game you feel like you're playing very well, super fast, not messing up etc.

But when you go to the replay you aren't hitting all the buttons and you can see what you did wrong, and at the start you'll find out you're doing a lot of **** very wrong.

pretty much if you're serious about getting better at smash, find a way to record the games you play and watch them, it will be very easy to figure out what you're doing wrong and what to work on.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Agreed with The Business, the reason I improved very fast at Broodwar was because of the replay function and that I sat down after every match and saw my mistakes.

I recently aquired a capture card so I can do this in Melee too. Never been able to before.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Eagerly awaiting PP's thoughts on the Sheik matchup. Mad props for sticking it out with Marth, although it almost hurt to watch you slap around M2K in WFs.

I'm so jealous of your movement. Shoutouts to dtilt as well.

Are you going to try to improve your spiking? You messed up/missed out on a lot of them, the one that closed out G4 notwithstanding. Have you been spoiled by falco's dair :p? Sometimes going for all those fairs paid off (like in the last match on yoshi's), but overall I thought you could've hit more of them and it would've been good. Then again, what's my opinion worth lol. Still, some people (PPU) make spikes materialize out of thin air, and it's both an effective stock-ender and demoralization tool. Anyways, if you were to try and work in more dair, I'd love to hear how you went about it; I don't get nearly enough dair kills :(

It was cool to see the varying success of the whole "just throw them up and mash the controller on your face" play out. Sometimes you caught his double jump and got huge punishes, especially on FD, but sometimes you couldn't react in time/made a bad read and ended up not only not following up, but getting hit by something as M2K fell. Interesting stuff, psyched for your thoughts.

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
PP definitely still looked more like a really good player who happened to choose Marth than a Marth main tonight. Dude left a lot of openings by going for moves that are unsafe even on hit (kind of a foreign idea to Falco players) and more than a few of those fairs should've been spikes.

That said, the movement is still amazing. PP's dashdancing makes Armada and M2K both look dumb. With a little bit more character experience this dude is going to be tearing everyone up. (Even more than he already was.)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
seriously considering playing marth again may drop the falco and go marth peach..we'll see. You make me want to believe

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Dude left a lot of openings by going for moves that are unsafe even on hit (kind of a foreign idea to Falco players)

Anyways, I'd like to see M2K PP marth dittos. It wouldn't prove who's the better Marth but I'd still like to see it.

@strawhats I thought doc didn't like marth though? Maybe I'm out of the loop but that does not surprise me that shroomed/doc would lose to a good marth

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, I'd like to see M2K PP marth dittos. It wouldn't prove who's the better Marth but I'd still like to see it.
This has happened, many times. Historically, PP always lost. That is, until yesterday, where PP 3-0'd M2K in a depressingly brutal manner in WF's at Xanadu. All the theory-bros with Umbreon payed off in a big way, haha.

strawhats

Smash Master
Shroomed's doc and axe's pikachu get so much marth practice, it's their best MUs so shroomed finally losing two sets in a row to PPU is impressive on PPU's part even though PPU, also named Kevin, gets just as much marth vs doc practice because he and shroomed live together. Point is Dajuan and axe never lose to marth with their respective characters in tournament sets so the fact that it happened to one of em is pretty big.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
did not think you could pull that off even as it was happening pp. think you could do a quick run-down of what you believe marth's mu spread is? i also heard you say you believe the stage list is good for marth, care to elaborate?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
This has happened, many times. Historically, PP always lost. That is, until yesterday, where PP 3-0'd M2K in a depressingly brutal manner in WF's at Xanadu. All the theory-bros with Umbreon payed off in a big way, haha.
Poor M2k...I probably would have been slightly upset watching it but I still wish I saw that. Hopefully it gets uploaded (or the stream is archived). And yeah I know they ditto'd before, I just wanted to see it currently. Similar to how I'd like I'd like to see Mango's falcon vs Hax's falcon right now. Mango beat him in the past (and Darkrain historically and S2j recently but I'm assuming historically as well) while styling the entire match, but I'd put my money on Hax being clearly the best falcon currently.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Eagerly awaiting PP's thoughts on the Sheik matchup. Mad props for sticking it out with Marth, although it almost hurt to watch you slap around M2K in WFs.

I'm so jealous of your movement. Shoutouts to dtilt as well.

Are you going to try to improve your spiking? You messed up/missed out on a lot of them, the one that closed out G4 notwithstanding. Have you been spoiled by falco's dair :p? Sometimes going for all those fairs paid off (like in the last match on yoshi's), but overall I thought you could've hit more of them and it would've been good. Then again, what's my opinion worth lol. Still, some people (PPU) make spikes materialize out of thin air, and it's both an effective stock-ender and demoralization tool. Anyways, if you were to try and work in more dair, I'd love to hear how you went about it; I don't get nearly enough dair kills :(

It was cool to see the varying success of the whole "just throw them up and mash the controller on your face" play out. Sometimes you caught his double jump and got huge punishes, especially on FD, but sometimes you couldn't react in time/made a bad read and ended up not only not following up, but getting hit by something as M2K fell. Interesting stuff, psyched for your thoughts.
This seems to catch all comments made up to this point.

The way I get hits, I don't get spikes so much. I could be a little better at getting them out frame-perfectly I suppose, but in general I need to Fair more and take the guaranteed damage instead of do those risky combo finishers vs positional losers.

And yes, I could have been better about controlling M2K as he fell. That art is difficult but it can be mastered....the point to remember is that he was not always killing me on hit either so me breaking out is okay just like him breaking out is. Melee is really freaking hard to 0-death someone in lol. I think throwing them up then wrecking them is far superior to Fthrow OMFG GUESS ROFL though and optimal punish strategies from that upward hit/throw position are where we should be looking to improve.

I spent a lot of time playing M2K('s Sheik) looking for where he was hitting Marth's weaknesses. He seemed to nail me especially hard not in neutral but if I committed and didn't hit him or I was already off-balance or I was offstage. The point to remember here is that Marth can run circles around Sheik so don't be discouraged by the punishment game and you can punish Sheik hard back.

A few things:

1. Marth needs a plan for when Sheik Fairs his shield. This is going to depend on the Sheik somewhat.

2. Marth needs a plan to get back onstage vs a good Sheik. M2K liked DD grabbing anything I did so don't be afraid to get creative!

3. Sheik sucks in the air and when you haven't committed/aren't off-balance. Focus on your movement advantage and your juggle advantage to ruin Sheik's momentum and win!

Marth's tight =)

Construct

Smash Journeyman
And yes, I could have been better about controlling M2K as he fell. That art is difficult but it can be mastered....the point to remember is that he was not always killing me on hit either so me breaking out is okay just like him breaking out is. Melee is really freaking hard to 0-death someone in lol. I think throwing them up then wrecking them is far superior to Fthrow OMFG GUESS ROFL though and optimal punish strategies from that upward hit/throw position are where we should be looking to improve.
How would you suggest going about getting better at this? I seem to get stuck a lot at the "throwing them up then wrecking them" part. There just seem like there are so many variables... when/if they fastfall, when/if they airdodge, if they'll come down with an aerial and when and which kind, if they'll go for a platform or ledgecancel... I find it frustrating to just get u-throw->u-air->nothing because I swing too early, or just get hit because I wait too long baiting things out. Might just be scrub problems though.

With regards to the last part of this,I feel like the soft reverse hit on top of fair is underutilized too, it's really cool for manipulating people onto/off of platforms or off stage, and has a nice amount of hitstun that links well into another fair or u-air.

Fthrow OMFG GUESS ROFL
This made me laugh. Hahaha... yeah.

I spent a lot of time playing M2K('s Sheik) looking for where he was hitting Marth's weaknesses. He seemed to nail me especially hard not in neutral but if I committed and didn't hit him or I was already off-balance or I was offstage. The point to remember here is that Marth can run circles around Sheik so don't be discouraged by the punishment game and you can punish Sheik hard back.

A few things:

1. Marth needs a plan for when Sheik Fairs his shield. This is going to depend on the Sheik somewhat.

2. Marth needs a plan to get back onstage vs a good Sheik. M2K liked DD grabbing anything I did so don't be afraid to get creative!

3. Sheik sucks in the air and when you haven't committed/aren't off-balance. Focus on your movement advantage and your juggle advantage to ruin Sheik's momentum and win!

Marth's tight =)
Can you expand on point 1 a bit? Whenever I get faired, Sheik usually does some jab/tilt witchcraft and all of the sudden I've been grabbed or tic-grabbed, or they'll jab once or twice and call a roll/wd/jump/whatever.

I feel more comfortable with points two and three. My mixups are alright, and my proudest moment in tournament so far was 0-170-deathing a Sheik who's a much better player than I am by u-air u-air u-air u-airing off the top of FD :laugh: Marth's movement and juggle games really are a blessing against Sheik.

Thanks for the post and congratulations on your victory!

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Can you expand on point 1 a bit? Whenever I get faired, Sheik usually does some jab/tilt witchcraft and all of the sudden I've been grabbed or tic-grabbed, or they'll jab once or twice and call a roll/wd/jump/whatever.
I struggled a lot with this same concept when fighting Peach (sheik vs peach). Technically when you have a fast attack like fair (for sheik) and they hit your shield, a sheik jab will beat any action that you can take (other than staying in shield but that's a whole other topic). Sheik's jab hits on frame 2 and fair is -1 when placed correctly so you have 3 frames to act (there is not an action that can get you away from the jab in 3 frames). But, sheik has to space it perfectly meaning as low to the ground as physically possible and jab as soon as possible. This is where buffering can save you, marth is invincible on the 4th frame of his roll. If sheik is frame perfect she wins still, but if she is not, you can buffer a roll from your shield using the c-stick instead of the analog stick. Just hold it in the direction you want to roll while you are in shield stun and that should help you.
If you get fair->jabbed on shield it is kind of already too late unless the sheik is being slow because the second jab will beat your buffered roll. Just keep in mind that being in shield is a disadvantaged position under ideal circumstances for sheik.

Essentially, buffered roll beats non-perfect fair->jab is all I am saying before someone tries to accuse me of thinking logica- I mean playing super theory bros.

Be wary of always rolling and also keep in mind that sheik can do all kinds of things.
fair ->jab
fair ->jabx2
fair ->grab
fair ->tilts
fair -> some kind of movement
tomahawk (which is soooooo freaking good with sheik)

If the sheik you are facing are making calls on your rolls/jumps/w/e from shield then keep in mind that sheik is making a call. She is basically going to do a mix of what I listed above and chose options based on whether or not they work or your tendencies. Be aware that you can mix up your spacing to avoid getting fair'd then mix up your OoS options so that way sheik can't keep making calls on you.

The best generic advice I can give against sheik is to not lot her in. Once she gets in, she can CG you at lower percents and flat out beat your swinging speed and punishing your landings and you'll get combed. I main sheik I luv fighting marth :)

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/309694/
http://www.smashboards.com/threads/278616/

Those 2 threads especially the last 1 helped me deal with things like getting trapped in shield or punished because you were in shield. Frame data is so freaking good and adds a level of understanding that you can form into practicality. At worst, it helps you understand why and what things are too fast/too slow.

Top Bottom