• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Bones0

Smash Legend
It’s called “Interruptible As Soon As”-frames. Marth’s dtilt animation is 49 frames long, but from frame 20 on you can cancel it with any attack, jump, dash or walk. Not with your shield, though.
You actually cannot cancel IASA frames with B-moves. Luckily for Marth, it doesn't affect him much. He can walk 1 frame before using side-B and JC (jumpsquat for 1-4 frames) up-B. For Counter and Shield Breaker, you have to actually leave the ground (though you can hardly tell with Counter because Marth's momentum reverses when you Counter asap after jumping.

-Roommate is randomly playing Hava Nagila on his little phone piano.
-I go online to look up the actual one.
-Find this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSNZK4Je-Y
-Notice the avatar is the exact same as

-Same avatar as Bones.
-Conclusion: Bones is jewish.
I actually did find it on some YouTube song. I'm going to scroll through the thousands of videos in my history until I find it.

I give up. I was pretty sure it was on a Blackmill song or on one of the Suicide Sheep channels (MrSuicideSheep/SuicideSheeep), but I didn't see it. :c

@mahie:

is it IMPOSSIBLE for samus to get a missile below crouch height, or is it just really hard?

also, whenever samus missiles you, does this mean you can just crouch under it and not get hit? or does it go over your head and hit your body?
No, Samus can definitely missle you even when you are crouching.

@mahie:
is it IMPOSSIBLE for samus to get a missile below crouch height, or is it just really hard?
also, whenever samus missiles you, does this mean you can just crouch under it and not get hit? or does it go over your head and hit your body?
Samus MUST be in the air for the strong missiles to actually hit marth. Otherwise, if she does them grounded, they pass right over you. The seeking ones don't really matter at all since they will hit you no matter the height. Also, she has a 4 frame window to get the proper timing otherwise the missiles sail over your head when crouching or she doesn't get the missile out at all. 4 frame window isn't hard at all.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Regarding Powershielding :

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...rs-stuff-thread.118998/page-280#post-15206019

Wrote this a while ago but it's still relevant.
respect. is there anything that goes into actually pressing down L/R? I've been doing a lot of Dash away PS with marth and when I don't get them it's because the light shield comes out (from when I start to press down L) and light shields can't PS. Does just pushing L faster and harder avoid that because it happens to me like 25% of the time.

Bones0

Smash Legend
respect. is there anything that goes into actually pressing down L/R? I've been doing a lot of Dash away PS with marth and when I don't get them it's because the light shield comes out (from when I start to press down L) and light shields can't PS. Does just pushing L faster and harder avoid that because it happens to me like 25% of the time.
You can't PS with anything but a full-press. I recommend removing a spring from one of your triggers so you can use that one to PS easily, tech, and you can use the other for L-cancelling, light shielding, and WDing.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
jw, is that mod tournament legal? I did that to my old main controller, but bought a new one to break in for tournaments about 8 months ago

Oddly enough, I couldn't find the exact ruleset for any large tournament like Apex or Pound series in the past.

Anyway, numerously I have seen tournaments have a no controller modification rule that literally bans any sort of potential hardware or software change. Specific examples regarded towards some sort of short hop modding or L trigger tampering.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Samus MUST be in the air for the strong missiles to actually hit marth. Otherwise, if she does them grounded, they pass right over you. The seeking ones don't really matter at all since they will hit you no matter the height. Also, she has a 4 frame window to get the proper timing otherwise the missiles sail over your head when crouching or she doesn't get the missile out at all. 4 frame window isn't hard at all.
This is very true. Not only is it hard for Samus to aim at you, it also means she'll have to spend time airborne, which is never a good idea for her against Marth. FD means either no missiles, or missiles that'll help you more than her.

And do NOT remove springs. I think it's illegal to physically change stuff on your controller, especially if it's supposed to give you an advantage in-game.

You can however, plug your controller while holding a trigger down; aka the Trigger Trick. This will effectively disable your trigger until the clicking point (It becomes fully digital and removes the analog part of the trigger).

You have to press the trigger fast. Any frame spent in the analog part of the trigger will be removed from the PS window.
Meaning if you're lightshielding 2 frames on your way to a proper shield in order to PS, then you're losing 2 frames on a window that's 2 frames long. You can't PS anymore.
This is according to a post from AJP_Anton I read a while ago, I'm not entirely sure that's the way it works but it's close enough at the least.

That's if you don't use the Trigger Trick. If you do, then nothing will happen until the click. That means adjusting your control scheme though in order to implement that. It was easy for me as I didn't use L at all, and now it's my PS button (Although I tend to use R just as much since it's my shield button and it comes naturally).

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
No one cares about controller mods unless they are macros.

I've had no X button for 5 years and a "modded" trigger button for almost as long.

As long as you aren't making a change that automates an input/timing, its okay.

Mahie

Smash Lord
No one cares about controller mods unless they are macros.

I've had no X button for 5 years and a "modded" trigger button for almost as long.
I see. There's still no point in removing the triggers though, unless you like it more when it's floppy.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
The point is to remove the resistance against you pressing the button so that you can do it more consistently. This is similar to the reason I "mod" my trigger button to remove the pushback from the rubber. It makes it easier to consistently input my airdodge.

The resistance either increases the amount of time you need to begin the action or requires you to manipulate your controller with more force. The first is a matter of how soon/late you can react to the incoming action, the second matters because the more force you use, the more wear and tear you cause on your controller and the more tournament nerves will affect your play.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
really interested in performing the cactuar mod, but I can't really fully understand what you removed. Something in your L button for airdodging? I thought the L button only had a plastic piece and then a spring underneath. Not sure where this rubber is

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I don't recommend doing it, and I don't even use it anymore. It basically removes the "click" at the bottom of the trigger press.

Trigger has:
Big plastic piece (the thing you push with your finger)
Spring
Black plastic piece at the bottom that holds a rubber button
Trigger slide (on the actual board, the big plastic piece has to connect to this)
Some controllers also have a shield over the entire trigger mechanism that is secured with normal screws instead of the tri-wing screws. This shield doesn't need to be in there.

The mod is to weaken the rubber button so that you don't have to push through it and force it down. I just take it out and make cuts in it where the rubber is rounded, but you can't weaken it too much or it won't push back up when you push it down. It's really easy to ruin the button, and the lifetime of the button is questionable because it will continue tearing as you use it.

Again, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS. I ****ed up at least 3 buttons before I got my first one right.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
if you guys want auto powershield without modding you can just reset your controller with x+y+start and hold down the trigger you want to powershield with. that way you cant lightshield with it

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Umbreon, you say that Marths should stop striking to Battlefield...but what should they do against Peach, in your opinion? She will ban FD/YS for sure, and then you've got BF/DL64/FoD, none of which I'd take her to as Marth.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't like FoD as Marth because the plats can make it hard or impossible to cover multiple options with tipper spacing (not just fsmash tippers).

Heero Yuy

#sweg
May or may not be a herp derp question...

Since I just picked up Marth as a secondary today... Do you normally find it easier to perform his aerials (particularly Fair and Uair) by C-sticking or actually using the A button?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I got into the habit of C sticking all my aerials. I mess it up with Dair sometimes and can`t use c stick for SH double fairs.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
I use C-stick for all of my aerials 99% of the time. It makes controlling your aerial movement so much easier if you're already used to it. Retreating fairs are neat.

G

genkaku

I feel like this character's learning curve is more like a learning... scribbly shape.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I feel like this character's learning curve is more like a learning... scribbly shape.

I have always envisioned character skill/knowledge as a sort of bar graph and pie chart combined. So a single pixel would be a complete novice, and a full circle would be perfection. At some points around the circle, I have a lot of comfort or knowledge so it is close to the limit of the circle. At others, they are very close to the center because I haven't explored that part of the game enough. Then the size (in degrees) of the slice would represent how important that concept is to the overall game. You can also imagine it as vague or as specific as you want, meaning you could have a whole slice dedicated to your overall comboing ability, or you could break that slice down into a bunch of different slices for comboing at low %s, comboing at high %s, comboing directly into KOs, comboing purely for damage, comboing for stage positioning, etc. If you could view someone's progress as they learn new concepts and techniques, you would see different areas expanding towards the edge at different rates. I think the circle shape is especially appropriate because most skills become more complex the deeper you get. So if area represents knowledge, you need more and more knowledge to actually gain improvement the better you are (distance towards the edge of the circle). By contrast, a completely new player who is just a pixel can quickly and easily boost their improvement because they have so much simple stuff to learn. These simpler concepts are closer to the center, and are therefore thinner (denoting less overall knowledge with a relatively high rate of improvement). I have a feeling no one has any idea what I'm talking about...

Here's the closest image I could find to what I am picturing:

Bones0

Smash Legend
that's an interesting way to look at it, I think that's pretty accurate too
Now I just need to figure out how what to add to make it a 3D model. Maybe I'll go balls deep and try to create a string theory representation with the number of dimensions into double digits. You can always rely on a time variable to spice things up a bit. :awesome:

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I never thought of it like that but it makes a lot of sense. I feel there are some areas of the circle I am unaware even exist.

G

genkaku

you mean like
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Naruto-Naruto-Diag-2.png
(first relevant result to my search terms)
that kind of chart isn't uncommon.

I meant that marth's learning curve (and actually the vs marth learning curve) seems to be steeper or shallower at different levels of learning about the game. To a larger degree than the other characters.
I remember how impossible the marth matchup felt when I started the game, then there was a phase where it didn't seem so hard at all but now as I and the marth that I get to play against have gotten a bit better still the matchup/meta is more difficult again. Squiggly vectors.

MT_

Smash Ace
Haha Bones you described it pretty well; I knew what you were talking about before I loaded your spoiler. And I think it's a pretty neat way to look at it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
you mean like
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Naruto-Naruto-Diag-2.png
(first relevant result to my search terms)
that kind of chart isn't uncommon.

I meant that marth's learning curve (and actually the vs marth learning curve) seems to be steeper or shallower at different levels of learning about the game. To a larger degree than the other characters.
I remember how impossible the marth matchup felt when I started the game, then there was a phase where it didn't seem so hard at all but now as I and the marth that I get to play against have gotten a bit better still the matchup/meta is more difficult again. Squiggly vectors.
Yes! That's exactly the type of chart I was thinking of. I don't know the actual name for those types of charts (so lmk if you do), but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in video games for stats that vary between character/gun/vehicle/whatever. It'd be cool if someone made one for each of the top players. :D

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I can't remember what game I remember seeing that in, I want to say it was freaking Pokemon

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Yes! That's exactly the type of chart I was thinking of. I don't know the actual name for those types of charts (so lmk if you do), but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in video games for stats that vary between character/gun/vehicle/whatever. It'd be cool if someone made one for each of the top players. :D
Here's the type of chart you were thinking of:
"Radar chart" on Wikipedia

A radar chart is a graphical method of displaying multivariate data in the form of a two-dimensional chart of three or more quantitative variables represented on axes starting from the same point. The relative position and angle of the axes is typically uninformative.

The radar chart is also known as web chart, spider chart, star chart, star plot, cobweb chart, irregular polygon, polar chart, or kiviat diagram.
The chart you linked in your earlier post was a "polar area diagram" (same idea but aesthetically a little different).

Top Bottom