• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Sybawave

Smash Ace
What? That works with Marth? I thought that SideB with the tech with spacies worked...it works with Marth?

Wow lol the other data thing I was looking at said Marth fell a bit faster...but I just looked it up on Smashwiki and it is 117 Marth 118 Sheik XD

IrArby

Smash Ace
It can. I haven't been able to duplicate it much but thats more because I'm still not great at teching. I was refering to doing it just from ledgestalling but yes it can be done this way also if its the first Side B after you've left the ground. So did people not already know this? I just assumed it never got used since people always used their Side B.

Congratulations Marth Boards currently the only active character specific thread! ATM I mean.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
No, I never heard about this before...I also recently came across something that said that Marth has glitch on Kirby64...is that true? It was basically Marth's tilts don't work properly and often seemingly hit but don't actually hit...I think it's just them failing as Marth

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
What? That works with Marth? I thought that SideB with the tech with spacies worked...it works with Marth?

Wow lol the other data thing I was looking at said Marth fell a bit faster...but I just looked it up on Smashwiki and it is 117 Marth 118 Sheik XD
There's three different aspects to falling speed: acceleration, top speed, and fastfall speed.

Sheik has higher acceleration and fastfall speed, and since in matches you're not really falling from the top of hyrule temple acceleration is pretty important, so Marth is usually considered more of a floaty character than Sheik.

And yeah, you only get one height-boosting side B with Marth. It recharges upon landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoqjF31-duU

edit: oh yeah watch this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0np82FnQIqg

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
Dumb question alert! (sorry lol)

When performing a reverse up-B out of shield do they need to be slightly in front of you for them to receive the maximum knock back? Sometimes I notice they get the full knock back, while other times they barley move and travel slightly upwards. I just needed a little clarification on this, thanks.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Distance doesn't matter for the reverse Dolphin Slash, just that you have to hit with the beginning of the attack. And they do have to be in front of you.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Close the space between you until he is out of range to attack you but your close enough he'll think twice about lasering. He should be just outside of Fsmash range (more or less). Then punish him. Force him into something. Make him commit. You can outrange his grab for one thing.

This is the most interesting part of smash for me. I'm usually reminded of some random Bruce Lee quote. Something to the effect of: If my opponent expands I contract (dash away, WD back, Shield, Spot Dodge), if he contracts I expand (attack, grab, DD to bait a shield/spotdodge, just pressure in general). You've got to catch you opponent either when he's not expecting it or when he's trapped himself in lag or a shield. Theres other traps but I'm less familar with them and their matchup/playerstyle based.

If I could actually do this stuff I'd be decent. Alas . . .

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Chase him into a corner lol he can't really get away from Marth except for Kirby64
You'd be surprised how difficult that is against a competent Fox on some stages (all counterpicks, battlefield, and dreamland) Running Fox into a corner will often consist of empty shorthops over extending your attacks, or other mindgames in general. There is really no set way to do it.

And it's dreamland64, not Kirby64, more commonly known as just dreamland.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Lemme dig into my cache of borrowed knowledge. This is what I asked Taj:

1. How do you deal with pressure? It seems like unless you're playing Fox or the like, there's always going to be a character faster than yours, especially in matchups like Marth against Falcon. How do you go from being on the back foot to setting up an offense?

This is what he answered:

1.) Stay calm, try to read their movements, and find some kind of pattern or tell in their attacks. If they're just laying on the pressure, but waiting until you bite on their dash dances, then wait for that tell and assume they're going to move away and adjust your attack to cover their escape. Otherwise, using moves that force the player to slow down, or reconsider what they're doing are great ways to take the offensive. As Marth against Fox, usually moving into Fox with well spaced aerials or dashing down tilts, slowly forcing him into a corner works pretty well.

Against Falcon, kinda the same thing, but without a projectile to spam and a longer dash dance, so you just have to adjust accordingly. Usually with Fox, you have up throw pressure when you finally catch him, but Falcon you usually have to rely on tech chases, which is fine.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
You'd be surprised how difficult that is against a competent Fox on some stages (all counterpicks, battlefield, and dreamland) Running Fox into a corner will often consist of empty shorthops over extending your attacks, or other mindgames in general. There is really no set way to do it.

And it's dreamland64, not Kirby64, more commonly known as just dreamland.
Like the name really matters <_< it's shorter than either of the other ones

And I know it's easy lol I play fast Fox's but what else were you going to do? He'll have trouble getting away without getting hit and the damage will add up

What does playing Poker have to do with SSBM?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Taj kept saying "look for his tell". In poker a tell is a non-verbal often subconsciously given body language indicator that gives away what your opponent is holding or planning etc. Good players don't give off obvious signs so its hard to read them.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Like the name really matters <_< it's shorter than either of the other ones
Then I guess I'll call FoD Dream Fountain instead (DF is shorter after all). Not to mention that the short note of Dreamland (DL) is actually shorter than Kirby64.
And I know it's easy lol I play fast Fox's but what else were you going to do?
Umm, how about you give the guy some advice he could actually use. "Put him into a corner" is hardly helpful if he just interprets that as shffling fairs (which are punishable). How about listing a few examples.
He'll have trouble getting away without getting hit and the damage will add up
They don't have trouble getting away, you just have to predict them well enough to land one good hit so that you can get them off stage or get a grab.

Tero.

Smash Champion
How do I deal with a Fox who constantly DD camps and laser camps me? How should I approach?
Ok example:

Fox is DD, you try to grab him, he dashes away, dashes in and grabs you.

What to do ?

Don't try to grab the position where he's standing at the moment, rather than the position where he will be when he dashes away.

You can do the same thing with aerials, da and stuff.

there you go.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Ooh Ooh I know where he'll be after that ^^^ DEAD!

and if hes not I'LL KILL EM!

What do you guys think of running into a shield and jumping out into a retreating auto-canceled Nair? Probably won't combo into much though.

I.B

Smash Lord
^ I don't like the idea of running into a shield unless you're facing a Falco or something. Just gain some ground, wd down into a good position, then nair them.

PenguinBox

Smash Rookie
I don't mean to be blunt, but does that matchup really just depend upon who the gayer grabber is? :D

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
vs fox? the match up is very dependant on grabs but i wouldnt say who the gayer grabber is, that doesnt really make much sense, you have to do things that either lead into grabs or bait them into grabs with marth its not as simple as being the gayer grabber and then you have to chain well or tech chase well, sometimes i like to uthrow then dthrow quickly to fsmash, seems to work, but yeah its not as simple as you make it

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I'd go with twenty to thirtyish. It's purely a mindgame, so it's not guaranteed. Plus, I don't know why you would... a chaingrab can lead to a kill much more easily than a tipper at twenty.

Top Bottom