• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion XL

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Those are some pretty neat Dexter combos you have there. I wouldn't have ever thought to throw into down B.

Anyways, a few days ago, a few of us sat down and played this some more, and we finally did what we've been avoiding doing forever: We wrote up a stagelist!

We're not gonna be all Unity-nazi about this, but we spent hours discussing this. We originally planned for only 3 neutrals, but to make a bit more variety, we bumped it up to 5.

Also, we had a huge discussion about the fate of Ben 10 2. It's a neutral stage without the Aku glitch, but with it, we decided that it would break any sort of counterpick system. If it was a legal counterpick, and you lost game one, if they didn't ban it, you could just pick it and use Aku for basically a free win. It would just be a disgusting mess, so we decided to ban it.

One last thing is that since this is a preliminary stage list, if there is any potential competitive value of a stage, we kept it legal. No need to ban things without even testing them first: only ban the obviously bad stages from the start.

So, here it is:

[COLLAPSE="Stage List v1"]Starter

Samurai Jack 2
Final Boss 1
Foster's Home 2
Kids Next Door 3
Ben 10 1

Counterpick

Grim Adventures 1
Dexter's Lab 1
Foster's Home 1
Kids Next Door 1
Chowder 1
Chowder 2
Samurai Jack 1
Samurai Jack 3

Banned

Chowder 3
Flapjack 1
Flapjack 2
Flapjack 3
Kids Next Door 2
Powerpuff Girls 1
Powerpuff Girls 2
Foster's Home 3
Dexter's Lab 2
Dexter's Lab 3
Grim Adventures 2
Grim Adventures 3
Ben 10 2[/COLLAPSE]
No items, Aku only, Final boss 1?

also I saw that glitch, and that was VERY nasty, so I agree with the ban.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Thanks, and nice stage list.

Really wish there were more characters I enjoyed playing as in this game. Thinking about developing my Ben for a secondary maybe, but eh.

Edit: Might do another video for tomorrow if I get a chance.

:phone:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Great stage list. Just curious, why are Dexter 2 & 3 banned? Is 2 so because of the laser beam and 3 because of the gimmick that can transform you into a helpless chicken?

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Great stage list. Just curious, why are Dexter 2 & 3 banned? Is 2 so because of the laser beam and 3 because of the gimmick that can transform you into a helpless chicken?
Dexter's Lab 2 is banned because a match on that stage is all about controlling the small platform, which then makes the rest of the stage unplayable, because it becomes a moving conveyor belt. Dexter's Lab 3 is banned because, like you said, you can be turned into a
Scootaloo
, and the laser is also a problem

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
We like the idea of having 5 neutrals (it has to be an odd number anyways), and overall, KND3 has a simple platform layout that never dramatically changes, and the low-G doesn't last long, nor does it give any character in particular an advantage.

It would be made CP if we went down to 3 neutrals (as would Final Boss) , but we'd like to try 5 neutrals first. I can see it being like Lylat Cruise- the neutral that won't be played often, but for a 5 neutral list, there isn't really anything better (Ben 10 2 would've taken it's spot if it weren't for that glitch)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Dexter's Lab 3 is banned because, like you said, you can be turned into a
Scootaloo
HA!

I have a question on playing this game competitively: how you handle Final Smashes Punch Time Explosions since you can't turn them off like Brawl and I highly doubt you want to use them in competition?

Also, what category would the Training stage be in the stage list if it was available to play on? For some reason, that stage can be selected on a Standard Game but not in a Custom Game.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
HA!

I have a question on playing this game competitively: how you handle Final Smashes Punch Time Explosions since you can't turn them off like Brawl and I highly doubt you want to use them in competition?

Also, what category would the Training stage be in the stage list if it was available to play on? For some reason, that stage can be selected on a Standard Game but not in a Custom Game.
Training stage would probably be Counterpick, but as we can't play it with Custom Game, we cant do anything

As for Punch Time Explosions, since we can't turn them off, we just play with them on

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
The big problem with Dexter's Lab 3 is actually just the layout of the platforms and how freaking big it is. It's just too difficult to catch anybody on that stage, and you have to risk lasers and
scootaloos
if you want to commit to an approach. The stage is essentially Spear Pillar.

Likewise, KND3 is like PS2 in Brawl except it hardly changes at all. It's a very predictable and fair stage, I feel. On top of that it adds a little diversity to the starter list, which is nice.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Guess that's a no on match uploads? :|

If I had people in NY to play with, I'd upload a bunch. Otherwise I can only tape AI stuff.

I was thinking about having a side tourney for it at an SSBB tourney soonish, so I could get some footage that way.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just saw the European boxart for this game:
I think I like this more than the North Amercian version. :c

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Considering he can move forward with it and probably has the quickest dash start up, I think it does a whole lot for getting in. Especially against Aku. I've had Aku Fsmash as I'm shNairing and it nullified that, too. Any disjointed move it secretly clanks with.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You're ********. Just about everything clanks in this game.

Dexter is good. I play Dexter. He is not broke. He is not even top tier.

You have an extremely biased opinion.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
First of all, drop the sophomoric attitude. I'm not ********, so don't come at me with petty insults.

Second of all, at which the speed and giant arc that Nair comes out in, and the fact that it doesn't visibly clank with other moves (hence "nullifying"), AND that it lingers, it makes it a LOT easier for Dexter to nullify an attack from an opponent, whereas normally you must time the clank.

It's painfully obvious I was using "broke" humorously considering the lack of proper sentence structure and grammar in that statement.

And lol @ arguing tiers. You think that because a couple of kids playing this in a casual setting for a couple months in KENTUCKY and AUSTRALIA of all places deems that list accurate? Jinkies, mate.

But aye, if you're so sure, you're welcome to come to any Smash tourney on the EC and prove it. $$$!

Wolf McBlue

Smash Journeyman
Well my twin bro is back from college for spring break and I shown him this game to hopefully get him to try it. He's being hard on me to try it even though he's in the Alabama Smash League. Some day I'll get him to try it.
Well when I come home for our birthday next month I guess I'll pick it up, out of the list Scottsman catches my likings alot since I loved him in the tv show and he has huge sword, course I hope he ain't like Ike. Or I'll just try all and see who I like.

And I'll try my best to go to an ASL tourney even though I'm at home in South Carolina (my bro goes to college in Alabama and I don't). I'll go talk to him to see if I can make an arrangement.
Depending on how my surgery goes and I'm able to go to HASL and Smith station I was going to try and bring you and maybe some of our friends, those long drives are so much better with other people.

Also, I'm going to try to hold a smash tournament sometime in June and we could a try side thing for CN:pTE XL.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
First of all, drop the sophomoric attitude. I'm not ********, so don't come at me with petty insults.

Second of all, at which the speed and giant arc that Nair comes out in, and the fact that it doesn't visibly clank with other moves (hence "nullifying"), AND that it lingers, it makes it a LOT easier for Dexter to nullify an attack from an opponent, whereas normally you must time the clank.

It's painfully obvious I was using "broke" humorously considering the lack of proper sentence structure and grammar in that statement.

And lol @ arguing tiers. You think that because a couple of kids playing this in a casual setting for a couple months in KENTUCKY and AUSTRALIA of all places deems that list accurate? Jinkies, mate.

But aye, if you're so sure, you're welcome to come to any Smash tourney on the EC and prove it. $$$!

I am on the EC. It happens to stretch all the way down. Come a ways south of the mason dixie and I'll end you.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I am on the EC. It happens to stretch all the way down. Come a ways south of the mason dixie and I'll end you.
You got it, bub.

Edit: I'll be going to Otakon this summer, so plan on taking a trip if you are eager to lose.

Dark Hogosha

Smash Apprentice
Quick question (since I'm tired of sifting through reviews of this game that don't actually review the game and instead just say "this is a Smash clone and here's why")

Does this game have any 2v2 aspect to it? Or is it all free for all?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Quick question (since I'm tired of sifting through reviews of this game that don't actually review the game and instead just say "this is a Smash clone and here's why")

Does this game have any 2v2 aspect to it? Or is it all free for all?
Sorry, no team battles. Just free for all.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Anyone know exactly what makes it so you super jump while doing an up b? I've had Vilgax and a couple others suicide from going way too high with their up b after I whiff a move on them. o_O

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
Anyone know exactly what makes it so you super jump while doing an up b? I've had Vilgax and a couple others suicide from going way too high with their up b after I whiff a move on them. o_O

I've seen CPUs just UpB and die for no reason- I have no explanation for that, but the game treats CPUs differently than human players, as seen by the fact that Aku Laser on Ben 10 2 doesn't glitch against CPUs.

Though one time, I was playing Johnny Bravo, and Sold2 was playing Captain Planet, and Bravo UpB clanked with Planet Fair, and Bravo just went flying and died. It only happened at a certain moment during both moves, but we did re-enact it. I don't know why it happened

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I guess, as a hipster ***/huge fan of old Cartoon Network it's time I put aside my hatred/bias for Ben 10, Chowder and Flapjack and actually try this **** out

Milun

Smash Ace
Heh, I understand. I HATE Cartoon Network. Hate hate hate it. Fortunately, I didn't know about Aku's existence, and since he's the only character worth playing due to him being a Metaknight on steroids, I got no problem using him over and over and over........

Milun

Smash Ace
I would. I despise all their shows. I have a thing against animation that looks like it was done in flash. Their only shows I tolerate are the PP Girls and Flapjack, the latter only because it's an adequate Spongebob clone.

However, I see it as a good thing. Since I hate them all equally I have no dilemma of choosing Top-Tiers over genuine favourites.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Heh, I understand. I HATE Cartoon Network. Hate hate hate it. Fortunately, I didn't know about Aku's existence, and since he's the only character worth playing due to him being a Metaknight on steroids, I got no problem using him over and over and over........
Lol @ being the only character worth playing. The only thing that makes Aku good is the range on his laser, and his UpB on counter hit.

He can get rushed down by Samurai Jack, Planet, Father, and Blossom pretty hard.

Milun

Smash Ace
Ok I'll bite. Tell me how Captain Planet can possibly beat Aku. Because when we played him, we collectively decided that next to toiletnator, he was the second worst character in the game.

Here is an example of every match against Aku there will ever be:

http://youtu.be/0uLDnSLMRFg

And here's an Aku glitch we found that makes him even better:

http://youtu.be/2-zO4KryGLQ

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
Ok I'll bite. Tell me how Captain Planet can possibly beat Aku. Because when we played him, we collectively decided that next to toiletnator, he was the second worst character in the game.
Nobody is worse than Flapjack!! And Captain Planet is at least mid tier over quite a few people

Milun

Smash Ace
Worse than Flapjack? What is this madness? Flapjack has the best counter of any fighting game due to the game developers not knowing what grabs were for (try grabbing him while he's countering and you'll still get hit. It's not so bad with Aku because, well, lasers go through everything, but with close range characters it's another story). Also Flapjacks got a good Final Smash.

While I'm at it, can I point out how unnecessarily loud Bubbles is? A player left a friendly tournament once solely because of her scream move.

Milun

Smash Ace
Who said it was broken? I didn't say it was broken. He didn't think so either. He left because it was loud and annoying. Bubbles has the worst volume balance in this game.

Top Bottom