• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Casual vs serious play

HT27

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Brawl every day since it came out, enjoying it and all that, etc. But one thing has been bothering me more and more recently.

I often just play for fun (with some friends - FFA), with items on, using random characters on random stages... and some people will come and ask to play. I'm fine with that, and we usually play... but recently, more often than not, most of these people will come and play really aggressively. Excuse me if this is a noob sentiment: but if I have items on, am using random characters, random stages, does that not imply that I'm just chilling and trying to have some fun? These people then just come, pick their best character, spam the **** out of their good moves, go for every cheap kill possible, and end up with like 10 KOs at the end of the game while none of me or my friends are doing anything other than trying new things out. Then these people generally make some remarks on their high KO count, or talk some trash, play a few more rounds in the same manner then leave. If I do decide to play seriously against them, they whine about getting hit and combo'd, and if I don't play seriously against them, they leave with a smug face thinking they've owned my friends and me.

So my question is, is there a difference between casual and serious play in this situation, and am I right in thinking it's just plain annoying that there are these people out there that play like this?

I understand that there is a very competitive side to Brawl and Smash in general, and I myself have been to a couple tournaments and can definitely hold my own amongst the majority of people on my campus, but I honestly sometimes just want to chill and have some simple fun. I like playing new people and all, but honestly, there are times where I just want to punch them in the face and/or challenge them to a 1v1 ... but that would really defeat the purpose of me just relaxing with the game - it'd make it all tense.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Trying to win and winning is fun. When my roommate beats me, it's thrilling for me to work at trying to find ways around his strategies, come back, and take him out the next time we play. I can assure you that there is ways around some of the most annoying moves in Brawl, many of which Pit wields.

Gotta do your best to show 'em up next time, that's all the advice I can really give you. Play hard, but have fun while doing it, nobody's going to look down at you for that.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Trying to win and winning is fun. When my roommate beats me, it's thrilling for me to work at trying to find ways around his strategies, come back, and take him out the next time we play. I can assure you that there is ways around some of the most annoying moves in Brawl, many of which Pit wields.

Gotta do your best to show 'em up next time, that's all the advice I can really give you. Play hard, but have fun while doing it, nobody's going to look down at you for that.
That's all well and good, but when you're chilling with friends in ffa with items on, then you are chilling with friends in ffa with items on, not playing ultra-competitively.

If people come in and act like asshats call them on it or just don't let them play. When I'm in the mood for competitive playing, I sure as hell don't play ffa, and anyone who does is misinterpreting what Smash is about.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me of me and my friends at the dorms.

Me and two others that I frequently play with are probably at a similar play level to you. We do 4 player FFA on random stages and we frequently play random characters or switch up whatever character we are playing frequently.

We never really seem to get the competitive outsiders that you mention though. We sometimes go and play with other people and where we play with random characters they will be playing fox/shiek/falco everytime without switching.

We happily adapt and will pull out our Captain Falcon, Peach & Marth and own some face. If it is the fox only no items final destination player that comes and plays with us we usually still stick with random, but never really seem to have much trouble beating them.

The "noobs" that play with us seem to get owned hard no matter what we as play, so I guess we are sort of like those outsiders, but we do it with every character we play. On an interesting note, they usually report of doing quite well when playing else where without us. We don't like making the game frustrating for the people who suck, but we really don't want to lose to each other and when we frequently have more then 4 people wanting to play we do loser out and then we really don't want to lose.

edit:
we usually play with items off, sort of a common resentment among the majority of the players towards random explosives spawning and losing you the match.

Break

Smash Apprentice
That's all well and good, but when you're chilling with friends in ffa with items on, then you are chilling with friends in ffa with items on, not playing ultra-competitively.

If people come in and act like asshats call them on it or just don't let them play. When I'm in the mood for competitive playing, I sure as hell don't play ffa, and anyone who does is misinterpreting what Smash is about.
See the funny thing is I would be one of those people, minus the whiny smug attitude.

I don't see why one can't adapt their competitive 1 Vs 1 game for FFA, especially when you have more then one other friend who'd like to play. I mean sure, it's extremely frustrating with player 3 screwing up your chaingrabs and player 4 botching your edge-guards; and in some cases you'll get utterly screwed over (3 on 1 anyone?), but you'll still win the majority of the time if you're the better player.

Then again, I'm a KO wh0re and my group usually plays loser out so I have an incentive not to lose; however I still pick random characters and try to figure out new techniques mid-Brawl.

Also, this isn't Melee, the game is a lot more balanced, thus playing with random characters isn't too much of a handicap (unless you get Wario, ew). Also, you should have the advantage against those kinds of players with items turned on. I doubt they know what half of them even do, hell, I sure don't.

Ultimately, people have the freedom to play as they want, that's what makes Smash so dynamic. If you don't want to have to play "seriously" then don't let them play. I don't see why you can't just beat on their a** until they leave and then resume screwing around with your buddies...

HT27

Smash Cadet
Trying to win and winning is fun. When my roommate beats me, it's thrilling for me to work....
I know what you mean, winning is fun. And I do plenty of it - according to stats in Brawl, I have, by far the most wins and KOs, damage dealt, etc... I just don't feel like showing people up when I'm messing around and relaxing.

That's all well and good, but when you're chilling with friends in ffa with items on....
I agree there... FFA is really quite casual in its very nature IMO.

That reminds me of me and my friends at the dorms....
Agreed, we often play FFA with items off as well, but still use random chars/stages - some items are really messed up. I generally have been taking it really easy whenever playing Brawl recently, mostly because I win a lot of the time and yea, I don't want to make it rough for people that aren't as good. The people I'm talking about in my first post here aren't noobs, but they certainly aren't good. Generally, they choose a really powerful character (IE Diddy Kong, Wolf, Zelda, Pit, etc, etc) and just spam their good moves and go for opportune KOs - Diddy/Zelda uair after someone else has smashed you into the air, anyone? I would adapt easily if I felt like playing hard, but generally I don't at these times.

BTW: I'm in Seattle too. You said dorms, what university?
See the funny thing is I would be one of those people....
I definitely have a competitive style adjusted for FFA play. It involves a lot of, yeah, KO wh0ring, cheap smashes, etc. I can pull those off better than most any people. I can be cheap as a dollar store bargain bin, but I just don't find it fun in most cases.

I think I'm beginning to come to a realization... I should just not let these fools play. Thing is, when I'm just chilling with the game, the whole point is that I don't want to have to deal with anything serious. Calling asshats out or banning ppl from playing is just not very carefree.

Spellman

Smash Ace

Well, I'm not saying sit there with a stone face and not laugh or smile during a match, but have fun with it. They certainly are by winning and rubbing it in this guys face, so I'd say do anything in his power to wipe the floor with them. Fight fire with fire, y'know?

I agree that there is not a lot of competitive value in a 4 Player Free-For-All, (mostly because of the alliances and teaming up that can take place, let's face it, one person can't take on 3 guys) doesn't mean you don't try to win. Just, whoever wins, y'know.. whatever, the results don't matter that much, it's for fun, but trying to win is fun, no? Am I.. missing something? I don't.. agh, nevermind, forget I said anything.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I think that it is obvious when people are just trying to have fun, and people should repect that. The sad truth is that most people want to play against other people to show off their abilities or just put their skills to the test. I say the next time they come over, go ahead and start doing the 1 v 1's. Kick their butt and make them so sad that all they want to do is chill and "have fun" too.

But that's the thing, some people have fun doing that. I know I get very frustrated in FFA, Items, and Banned stages games. I would much rather prefer to play a 1 v 1 with standard rules to get pleasure.

Jammo

Smash Cadet
Casuals leave only a few casualities.

Serious players are serial killers.

That's how I remember.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
BTW: I'm in Seattle too. You said dorms, what university?
University of Washington, but I just moved out of the dorms recently and I've decided to take a quarter off for personal reasons.

I should be coming back in the fall though, I loved the dorms... well except for Thursdays.

anyways,
when I'm playing and obviously dominating I don't try to dominate. I usually just sit their with a smirk on my face. I know I'm better then them, they know I'm better then them, but I'm still there for fun and don't want to ruin it for anyone.

I do get pissed when someone ruins me pulling off falcon punch or smashing ike who is charging quickdraw when I'm holding inhale with Dedede... but I mainly just yell out no when it is an "epic" move being ruined like a falcon punch or someone being hit by someone else after I knee them and it happens to save them.

Break

Smash Apprentice
I definitely have a competitive style adjusted for FFA play. It involves a lot of, yeah, KO wh0ring, cheap smashes, etc. I can pull those off better than most any people. I can be cheap as a dollar store bargain bin, but I just don't find it fun in most cases.
Yeah, I agree. When I play FFAs I play competitively, but not ruthlessly. Well, once in a while I will prevent that new player who can't DI from ever touching the ground, but then I explain to him how to avoid it. It's a give-and-take. It all really rides more on the attitude of the player rather then how they're playing. I mean, someone could go for every cheap kill but if they have a good attitude about it then I don't really mind. I will however set my sights on them next match. If some jacka** comes in and starts playing all tooth-and-nail, then I say just declare a vendetta on him.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
Only yesterday I realized how truly casual-dominated the FFA system can be...I signed on for a Wi-Fi match with a friend and unknowingly got sucked into an infinite time match with ITEMS on freaking Bridge of Eldin. I swear, the Sonic and Ike (surprise!) played just like the typical 'With Anyone' n00bs...after about 15 minutes I just quit because there was no hint of any competitive development in the match, just random smart bomb throwing and little thought/strategy at all...I never thought I'd see the day when I'd advocate tourney-style gameplay, but it's here. FFAs are only really enjoyable to me w/o items and with players who actually give a crap about playing the game and winning. I'll play items, but ONLY IF THERE'S AN END TO THE MATCH....chucking smoke balls and Mr. Saturns for hours on end does not appeal to me.

Thino

Smash Master
dont let them play with you , you dont have the same goal.
people playing for fun should be playing people playing for fun only
people playing seriously should play serious people only
so if you're not in the mood to play serious , refuse playing with them and eventually tell them its because they play the game too seriously and u just wanna chill.
obviously they may tell u that ur just scared , so dont forget trashtalking them if you win against them in 1v1s and they start whining.
but if u wanna play for fun , just play guys who wanna have fun too

Situationally, this incident would repeat itself if you were playing Melee. And only Melee (And quiet possibly SSB64).

This game was built from the ground up with a new engine with "balance" in mind. What we eventually discovered is that Sakurai didn't begin directly from the epicenter of the games engine to focus on the characters and fighting, but the actually engine itself. Why? To get casual players, competitive and non-gamers on the same playing field. many of the games mechanics clearly state this.

Hit stun reduction: This was very prominent in SSB64, fairly existent in Melee, but practically non existent in Brawl. Hit stun is an essential factor in fighting games in general that allow set ups and link attacks. An example would be 3rd strike, where it's possible to do a jab or L.k on a blocking opponent to open them up for a grab due to shield stun.

It's also the foundation for hit stun reliant combos such as SHFFL'd Dair>Falcon Punch at certain percentages on fast fallers. Hit stun was removed to where this is not only impossible, but nearly impossible to link any attacks that don't go beyond a 2-3 hit string and extremely low percentages. it's nearly impossible to link any thing to an aerial after 40%, or even on the ground. Single jab attacks are also obsolete due to this new engine.

The basic gist of the design was to only allow massive hit stun during high percentages; where it would be impossible to follow up to anything. This simply eliminates any potential for combos.

Multiple aerial dodges: Another aspect of the game that eliminates following up in addition to limited hit stun on many attacks. Another reason why some combos exist is because a player simply can't escape them without good DI without getting punished. If a player even made an attempt to Air dodge away from the middle of a combo, it would result in punishment; A smash or free grab; Suicide. This elements was implemented by sakurai so that you can defend yourself in the air at a cost. It was practical, and it had to be used strategically in Melee.

Now in Brawl, you can do multiple air dodges, to avoid anything. Form a recovery, coming to the ground, or even being hit by a tilt attack. The massive hit stun reduction really gives this mechanic a lot of practical uses. Even in casual matches, you can see an opponent charge a smash to knock an opponent away due to not sweet spotting the edge correctly. It's a basic tactic that forced players to actually know the approximate distance for their recoveries instead of blindly using them (Which is the next case I'm going to cover). Punishing the opponent, even for a casual player, is nearly impossible.

Auto-ledge snap/Reverse ledge snap: A lot of inexperienced players in the Smash series had trouble calculating their recoveries (?) which resulted in getting smashed off of ledges and missing in general. Sakurai made it so that characters can recover simply by going near the ledge and automatically recovering. Recovery doesn't need any approximations what so ever; just aim for the ledge and you'll grab it as if you were Mario in Melee. Also, the auto-ledge snap causes other adverse effects:

-You can grab the ledge when facing the opposite direction of the ledge at all times.
-The opponent can grab the ledge as soon as the opponent has moved from it (This is probably the only good thing I can say about the ledge mechanics)
-You're opponent cannot execute any action during the invincibility frames on the ledge
-3rd jump recoveries are canceled immediately upon coming in contact with the ledge
-Jumps auto snap after the jump animation is completed.

Hit box tangency reduction (HTR): All characters had moved with hit boxes that weren't exactly annexed to the characters themselves. Even though it may seem bad, it allow characters to be able to space appropriately and land attacks at safer distances. This prevented a competent player from just running into an attack without proper timing and distance. Characters with disjointed hit boxes (Sword characters for example) were able to space their attacks very well because the hit box was slightly extended beyond the sword, just as a punch or kick would be extended beyond the foot.

In Brawl, character hit boxes are almost completely tangent to the character, if not reduced to where it doesn't exist that far beyond the physical character. Marth's sword for example has a hit box that just barely extends to the tip of the blade. I have tried to study Marth's hit boxes only to discover that his hit boxes don't actually hit beyond the sword itself, and the tip hit box is so hard to hit accurately that it can't be used effectively without rigorous practice and visual aid.

The hit box reduction itself eliminated spacing capability for all characters. Even though this isn't extremely bad, it just puts more emphasis on visual spacing than reflex approximations.

Tripping: This is another element that Sakurai used in the sake of "balance". for some reason, he thought that including a random element beyond your control was very suited for what is essentially a fighting game. I can understand items, for they can be controlled and set however you see fit. But tripping itself is randomly executed under certain conditions. It is believed that it happens more a higher percentages to prevent a player from staying alive for certain periods of time. Many people believe that it's simply a sigh of exhaust, but it's actually meant to keep a good player from moving too much at higher percentages of preventing that character from moving constantly. This itself is absolute BS. I have nothing more to say. Anyone who has played the game can conclude that this is an idiotic game element.

Reduced Character Control: Simply put, you don't have as much control over your character in this game. A attacks are automated, Ledge grabbing is easy and automatic, Downward C-stick aerials cause characters to fast fall, and physical movement over your character doesn't feel tight. this is probably due to the speed reduction and the inclusion of the new buffer system that allows commands to be executed in a fraction of time before the animation starts. Also, with random variables like tripping, you can't actually make a move or calculate an attack without risking randomly falling. This nearly forced characters to walk if they want to achieve ground movement without worry. I guess this is for more "aerial combat", but how can you fight in the air without prominent hit stun? How can you land an aerial when the enemy has multiple air dodges at his/her disposal?

Many of the previous competitive aspects of the games actually existed at E For All. An form of wavelanding, L-cancel, Crouch Cancel, Dash dancing and prominent hit stun for many characters. In addition to that, tripping rarely occurred if at all. But they were all intentionally removed so that the game can appeal to the whiny autistic children that Nintendo is catering to.

It seems as if Sakurai's philosophy on the smash series changed over time beyond what the developers really wanted. According to Sakurai, he believes that the Smash series shouldn't be competitive in any way, yet he claims to support the community. In the previous smash games, he didn't completely supervise the development of smash, for the developers actually implemented certain aspects of the game purposely to balance out the games competitive engine. Sakurai actually listened to some of his previous staff for ideas and implemented them into the game engine. Sakurai had an experienced staff with him, but this isn't the case in Brawls development.

Sakurai had a completely foreign staff at his disposal, that supposedly, consisted of numerous smash bros fans (Unknown if they were casual or not). Not only that, they were completely directed by Sakurai himself, under his beliefs and general philosophy. Sakurai isn't exactly a competitive person, and that aspect was directly focused onto Brawls core engine. even if he had many smash bros fans under his wing, they couldn't help but build the game under his general philosophy if that's what Sakurai wanted.

Beyond Sakurai, look at it this way. The previous installments to the smash bros. series were supervised by Nintendo back in the day, when they weren't entirely focused on the casual player, but the loyal fans and the casual players. Looking at Nintendo's philosophy now, how many of you can actually say that this wasn't inevitable? Even if this wasn't created directly from Nintendo, it's still supervised by the same company. With Nintendo's new marketing demographic and target audience, Nintendo obviously wanted this game to cater to the audience that can put more money in their pockets and not give a **** about the game after the initial purchase.

Fighting games in general often progress in their newer installments, which is the opposite of Brawls direction. When developers create a fighting game, they listen to the casual players, but also put emphasis on how the game can advance in the competitive aspect. This ultimately creates a game that is universally fun. The direction of Melee and SSB64 was catered to everyone, which created the great game we have today.

I know a lot of people are going to say "Give the game more time", "This isn't Melee 2.0", "The community wasn't built in a day", "This is how the game was supposed to be", "The game wasn't well polished and the games competitive aspect was created by accident". Sure, one can easily say that these things are true, but just look at Sakurai's philosophies and Nintendo's demographic, it's blatantly obvious that they're way of thinking was going to be taken into effect. Sakurai is non competitive and Nintendo makes their decisions based on economic benefit. One last thing, let me direct you to this article. I didn't find this BTW, credits to Gimpyfish.

http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=637

In terms of progress in the series, it's basically like this:

SSBB>SSB64>SSBM

All that aside, Brawl can still be competitive, but only if the community will tolerate the games obvious limitations, which kills the games longevity for casual and competitive players. A casual player can only be casual for so long until they master the basic mechanics and thrive for more. Casual players exist, but they can't exist forever. Progress is a natural process in both gaming and real life.

The theory of Brawl being a "Party game with fighting game aesthetics" is proving to be more true by the day.

Kuwisdelu

Smash Rookie
But they were all intentionally removed so that the game can appeal to the whiny autistic children that Nintendo is catering to.
I'm sorry, I just had to comment here. I've been a lurker here for a while, but I registered just to respond to your post. You made a lot of good points up to this sentence, but once I got here I stopped reading.

I'm high-functioning autistic and found that comment--however casual--quite offensive. However, I understand that you're probably merely uninformed about what the actual meaning of "autism" means, because there is a lot of **** flying about these days that's very inaccurate. There's even a "cure autism" movement, which is absolutely ludicrous and even more offensive to me than your (what I assume is a) simple mistake.

Autism is not bad. It does not need to be cured. It is a different way of thinking. Perhaps you are referring to the mentally ********? Perhaps you were referring to autistic's lack of motor skills and assume that because we're often less coordinated than most, we're unable to play Brawl correctly? I can assure you, that--while I may not be able to catch a ball very well--I have excellent fine motor skills and can hold my own in any video game.

Autism refers to a different path of brain development that's often referred to as a disorder or disease. While that may or may not be true, autistics are rarely any less intelligent than average people. This is a misconception that came about because autism and *********** are often comorbid, which means that often occur together. However, many autistics are actually among the most intelligent people in the world. Among them, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Beethoven, etc., either had autism or an autism spectrum disorder such as Asperger's syndrome (which is what I have).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. Do a little research first before throwing around terms like that. And most of us are not whiny, by the way.

HT27

Smash Cadet
University of Washington, but I just moved out of the dorms recently and I've decided to take a quarter off for personal reasons.
Oh, cool, I'm at UW as well! Maybe some time my friends and I and you guys can get together and we can play.

Yeah, I agree. When I play FFAs I play competitively, but not ruthlessly..
Yeah, their attitude is really pretty important. Maybe I should help the arrogant noobs tone theirs down a bit.. >_>

dont let them play with you , you dont have the same goal.
Typically, people all start whining when they 1v1 me.. because then I play to win, and I usually do win. Dsmash Thunderflips with Pika, anyone? Noobs can never get outta them. =P But that level of aggressiveness is just not always as enjoyable as casually smashing. So yeah, I may just end up finding a way to not let super aggressive people play when I and my friends don't feel like playing so hard.

Del Money

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, I just had to comment here. I've been a lurker here for a while, but I registered just to respond to your post. You made a lot of good points up to this sentence, but once I got here I stopped reading.

I'm high-functioning autistic and found that comment--however casual--quite offensive. However, I understand that you're probably merely uninformed about what the actual meaning of "autism" means, because there is a lot of **** flying about these days that's very inaccurate. There's even a "cure autism" movement, which is absolutely ludicrous and even more offensive to me than your (what I assume is a) simple mistake.

Autism is not bad. It does not need to be cured. It is a different way of thinking. Perhaps you are referring to the mentally ********? Perhaps you were referring to autistic's lack of motor skills and assume that because we're often less coordinated than most, we're unable to play Brawl correctly? I can assure you, that--while I may not be able to catch a ball very well--I have excellent fine motor skills and can hold my own in any video game.

Autism refers to a different path of brain development that's often referred to as a disorder or disease. While that may or may not be true, autistics are rarely any less intelligent than average people. This is a misconception that came about because autism and *********** are often comorbid, which means that often occur together. However, many autistics are actually among the most intelligent people in the world. Among them, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Beethoven, etc., either had autism or an autism spectrum disorder such as Asperger's syndrome (which is what I have).

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. Do a little research first before throwing around terms like that. And most of us are not whiny, by the way.
You need to relax. By "children" he probably meant those under the age of 12. And either way it was a figure of speech.

Kuwisdelu

Smash Rookie
You need to relax. By "children" he probably meant those under the age of 12. And either way it was a figure of speech.
It doesn't matter very much whether something is a 'figure of speech' or not if it reinforces false stereotypes. I assumed he was merely uninformed, and tried to educate.

SpaceFalcon

Smash Lord
Everyone has an ego. No matter what person you are, gangsters take it out on people and nerds take it out on video games. Embrace life

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, since Melee had a number of techniques that only the dedicated player could master, it could be played at the competitive level. And when the tournament player returns home to play with his casual friends, the friends don't stand a chance. But, like Eternal Phoenix Fire said, it's as if Sakurai went out of his way to remove those elements to give casual players a fighting chance. It's a financial move if nothing else, since it guarantees that the game will appeal to a larger demographic, and thus more people will be interested in buying the game.

I think the problem is that too many people are clinging to the old ways of Melee, where mastery of the super-secret advanced techniques pretty much secured your victory, instead of embracing Brawl's new philosophy of "Don't worry about technical things like that and just enjoy the game."

I think this is what causes the gap between casuals and competitives. Hopefully the gap can be bridged someday.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
Oh, cool, I'm at UW as well! Maybe some time my friends and I and you guys can get together and we can play.
I think they host tournaments at Mercer fairly regularly, I've only been to one and missed the last one I heard about, but they are pretty fun and there are some good players (even some non fox palyers :p).

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet

If you could somehow explain to me how Smash is in any way not about the FFA, do so.

And don't you dare pull out the competive rules that people have made. Smash is not about what the thousands of pro smashers have made it.

It's about what the hundreds of thousands of other gamers have made it (AKA enjoyable)

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
If you could somehow explain to me how Smash is in any way not about the FFA, do so.

And don't you dare pull out the competive rules that people have made. Smash is not about what the thousands of pro smashers have made it.

It's about what the hundreds of thousands of other gamers have made it (AKA enjoyable)
You heard it hear, Ragingtsunami726 has made it official.

Smash is about playing FFA, that is the only enjoyable way. Everyone else is doing it wrong and obviously not having fun.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
the people who win in this competition of casuals vs competitive is whoever has the most fun. so if you play it competitively and have fun doing so you win. if you play it casualy doing whatever and have fun, you win. if you play it in (insert way here) and DONT have fun, then you are the loser.

tl:dr as long as you play it and have fun, you are the real winner of any match. I know that your parents may say this, but after going through life, this is realy the truth, very much so.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
Casual vs serious play
winner casual
why
because serious players are always whining because of no wavedashing or brawl is slow or whatever

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
When I usually play I play 1 on 1 matches without items. So like it is serious, but I play casually at it. If I die, hey that's cool. When I play a ffa then I usually just hit everyone and die a lot. So it is a lot of fun. :D Easy to have fun with both! But I do agree that if you are just playing random stuff and you can tell that it is just for fun. Then the people who join you are *****.

lChaosl

Smash Cadet
Not everyone has fun the same way as you. People really need to get that out of their mind. Running around spamming smash attacks then getting hit by some random smash and dying only to respawn against someone with a hammer that then kills you by hitting you into a bom-omb isn't fun for everyone. I play to have fun, and I have fun by beating the other player(s), so thats what I do. If you don't enjoy playing with people that want to win, ask them to leave, its your game after all. Why should you force them to do something that isn't fun for them?

BokutoGuy

Smash Journeyman
I think I realized why some people think that competive play is not fun to us.... We say ffa is just for fun, implying that competitive way is not fun.

On topic: I wouldn't try my hardest against less skilled people, it just makes you seem like an ***.

HT27

Smash Cadet
When I usually play I play 1 on 1 matches without items. So like it is serious...
It is indeed easy to have fun either way =D It's just a different mindset, that's all.

Not everyone has fun the same way as you. People really need to get that out of their mind...
In my situation, I doubt the super-serious asshat joining my friends and I was having more fun. I don't really know how to explain it exactly. These people simply join us to try to gain supremecy, that's the only satisfaction they can get... if they lose, they ***** and moan about it, if they win, they're only happy because of the number of KOs they got.

dingadergen

Smash Rookie
Oh, I guess im kind of on both sides. I mean I tried to wavedash and do that other stuff in melee but I just have more fun playing casually in brawl. Playing casual to me is: trying my best without using broken game mechanics like wavedashing etc.

Thino

Smash Master
playing competitively =/= playing serious.
even though because of tournaments , some ******* are turning it into a serious thing, or just because they are *******

HT27

Smash Cadet
playing competitively =/= playing serious.
even though because of tournaments , some ******* are turning it into a serious thing, or just because they are *******
Yeah, agreed. Some ******* actually have to play ultra-serious to make up for their lack of competitive skill.

Top Bottom