• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CCSC Power Rankings - MOVED

kithkin

Smash Champion
wtf are you talking about? get the hell out of the power rankings thread with whatever the hell that is? [seriously wtf that didn't make any sense at all]

Can we say random things like say "Chad should be higher IMO" in this thread? we've reached nearly 100 posts in this thread and have had very little "major discussions" of the actual power rankings. People are treating it like it's another official central canada thread. I just hate it everytime bad posts, and sometimes when victra does too.
sorry levi, I just have this thing where I respond to posts.

besides I already said what I wanted before it updates again, other than stressing that I think I should be on there, but again, I cant stress that, only someone else can.

Konkey Dong

Smash Journeyman
K I T H K I N Y O U A R E T H E B I G G E S T * * * * I N G S P A M M E R T H I S T O P I C H A S G O N E T O * * * * N O W M A N U P A N D P O S T L I K E A M A N.

edit - and carl don't give me sass, that was about the lamest thing someone could say and you said it! go look in mirror, look yourself in the eyes and say out loud what you just posted! MAN!

Mich

Smash Cadet
I think Beeble has probably made the most compelling arguments so far in his "constructive post".

Re. Kithikin: Everyone (myself included) loves to hate on Brad he has zero tech skill and no desire to learn. We love to hate on Brad because he'll make mention of how little he's been playing or practicing before tearing you a new one with his L-cancelless Sheik. Nonetheless, he just knows how to keep throwing attacks, and that **** seems to keep working for him. It's like that video of the seven-year-old Marth player. His placings just get stonger. +

Re. BackItch: Mad placings and knows Peach very well. +

Re. MICH: My placing have gotten nothing but worse as people adapted to the novelty of the Climbers. The report card would say: "mastery has yet to be demostrated". -

(Oh, but I should be above Brad, because he's never beat me in a set.)

PS: Randall's above spam was my fault. I accidentally posted this message under his username.

Edit: Remove signature....

kithkin

Smash Champion
haha thats all true pretty much mich, but I will point out, I am learning some stuff, just basic stuff with other characters.

so to say, I'm improving, but my sheik is just getting more relentless. (my ganons getting better, my falcos getting a little better, that type of thing)

yeah I definately dont expect to make it to you let along surpass you.

edit: I'm just so easy to rag on, at least now I'm not a fat kid anymore.

edit2: although compared to levi...

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Guys, i'm not so sure if the top 25 is such a bright idea. That is a very big number, and unless there is a big gap between each person, there will be huge conflict near the bottom. More than likely, it will be quite incorrect.

The BC Canada Power Rankings used to be top 15, but that became extremely hard to judge, and we just recently cut it to top 10. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to accurately display the positions 15-25.

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
Yes but say you make it top 15, then it will consist largely of Edmonton players followed by Calgary players. Then the CCSC PR might as well be an Alberta PR and Manitoba and Saskatchewan will have a referendum to separate from Central Canada :p

FalseFalco

Smash Master
K I T H K I N Y O U A R E T H E B I G G E S T * * * * I N G S P A M M E R T H I S T O P I C H A S G O N E T O * * * * N O W M A N U P A N D P O S T L I K E A M A N.

edit - and carl don't give me sass, that was about the lamest thing someone could say and you said it! go look in mirror, look yourself in the eyes and say out loud what you just posted! MAN!
All I'm saying is that you can edit that post after CAST3 if you'd like...

I think it should stay at top 25. I agree with Fox machine, that, had this been a provincial list 15 or 10 would be appropriate. Besides, now that we have a base list to work from, changes will be much easier to do.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Smash Presence Outside Alberta

Only problem I see is that no one outside of Alberta is coming to CAST3. How are we supposed to do a proper ranking for central Canada when all the people that show up are from Alberta? Obviously CAST3 will not define the rankings, but it will be the first tournament after the rankings were established as well as one of the few events where people are travelling from afar (I know there have been some from Red Deer and Edmonton that have gone to the Calgary Bi-weeky's, but those are the exception not the rule), and yet no one out of province is travelling.

Is this to be a continuing problem? The most out-of-province presence on the boards (specifically the central Canada thread) is from BC, not Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol no doubt.
Why isn't this just an Alberta ranking instead of a 3 province ranking? Isn't it
difficult to incorporate smashers most of us will never smash with into the rankings? I mean, the
people here in Alberta are fairly active and there are tourneys every few months like CT3 and CAST,and Randall's bi-weeklies that helps give us a better look at everyones skill etc. Thus easier to placethem in a spot on the list that really reflects their skill level.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
All I can really is say is that everyone needs to stop stressing about the list, it's not a huge deal.

The matter of why this is a Central Canada circuit as opposed to an Alberta one is so we can have an existing competitive infrastructure with regional players in preparation for the inevitable influx of Brawl players.

It's August, and soon enough, these power rankings won't mean so much anymore and there's going to be a lot bigger issues to deal with. The recipe for a healthy regional circuit across three provinves is actually brewing up quite nicely.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol doesn't Sask have like 1 guy?

Thanks. It goes well with my current shirt.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Nothing like a series of uninformed criticisms to upset the criteria...

I ignored pretty much everything that Randall said as to how people should be placed on this list, and just chose people's placings based on my own experiences with them, tourney placings, word of mouth, and observations at tourneys/friendlies/smashfests.
Phew, I was afraid I'd have to comment for a second there.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you're gonna have a Smash panel; get someone from every region onto it. Not just two people from Edmonton, two from Calgary, and one from Winnipeg, especially when this is a panelist that I cannot recall playing. There should at least be one from St. Albert and Red Deer as well, and I vote Victra and myself for those positions, or at least switch Levi to St. Albert because that is still the place he belongs to. Make it fair, or don't have a panel at all and make it a group vote thing.
I totally support getting more regional panelists. We only have so many interprovincial or or inter-central-Canada tournaments for the panelists from, for example, Calgary or Edmonton to play those from Red Deer, which appears to have a decent sized community. And St. Albert also has a removed community which can't really be lumped in with Edmonton. I think the addition of two panelists would be good, allowing the rankings to cover a greater area in greater detail.

I got rid of 5 spots because 25 pretty much accounts for all the active smashers in Alberta as it is, because as far as I'm concerned right now this is an ALBERTA LIST, or else you'd see BC smashers in there. So I cut it down to 20.
Once again, the question of Alberta or central Canada arises, and still no opinions from anyone (I am for Alberta > CC). I also support the move to a list of 20 people instead of 25. As of now, the list may be biased towards Edmonton, but that is reflective of the strength of smashers here. A list of twenty would still represent the other communities but it would be a more concise way of showing who is the best in the region (whatever is decided that region includes) without token people from all the regions on the list. While I recognize and am thankful that the community here continues to thrive and grow, it doesn't grow at the top so much as it does from the bottom.

kithkin

Smash Champion
excuse if this is double post my comp is craping out on me.

OMUGAH IM ON PAWKAHS LIST <3

the only area where I really disagree is John (xspiritflare) because he is probably one of the best in calgary, and would be if not for recent developements in people like levi and mich, but he is consistant and 50% of the time beats everyone if not more than that. the only problem is if we do place him higher, is where. ask levi.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
Brad could you tell me who he mains, what he kinda looks like, and if he's been at CAST1, or CT3? It'll help me remember him better if he was there, because those are the only real tourneys that I can remember a strong Calgary presence. Corrects me if I'm wrongs lulz

Also, I love Randall, he made us a site and everything and kick started this whole movement, but if people look at a power ranking, they wanna see who ish teh strongestz, and one of the best ways is tourney placings (considering of course who they have to face in the tourney) and individual skill, as well as how they react against people they have never played before. Can they adapt, etc? That is how I think the power rankings should be, and I am sure people will agree. If I look at a list I wanna know who is the strongest, not who has teh most potentialz. Plus if I had no clue who a player on the ranking was, I made no criticisms. Those criticisms aren't entirely my words either, they reflect other people's views as well. Alot of thought was put into everything said. ;)

Needz moar criticisms plox.

BRAD GETS KEN STATUS FOR ACTUALLY HAVING A RELEVANT POST

kithkin

Smash Champion
Lol.

uhh John hasnt attended a out-of-calgary tourney, we keep urging him too though since hes good.

he pays pretty much anyone, he has great technical knowledge.

he's asian and works at mcdonalds. XD

oh, I have a relevant question: Arn't tiers fairly based on tournament placing too?

Fox Machine

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with you Brad, and not just on your spelling of xpiritflare. John isn't just one of the best players in Calgary. He is the best player in Calgary.

Although I don't have enough experience with the Edmonton guys to make a comment about them, the top 3 in Calgary should be in this order (and Levi agreed to this) John, myself, and Levi. 4-6 should be MICH, M, and DJT, although their exact order is debatable.

There you go a relevant post.

kithkin

Smash Champion
only problem is if you say that, then what about neil? (LULS)

I dunno, no offense to DJT/M (jeremy rite? and Allan) but chads up there too.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
Well if that is who the top 3 in Calgary are, then clearly there are problems with both Randall's first draft and my own draft as well. That is why we discuss these things, in order to improve the list. =]

Also, SuPeRbOoM are you the guy that came up during the finals of CAST3 singles and asked for your cube back because you were leaving? I highly suspect it is you.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
Oh you definitely deserve to be higher, I just wasn't sure if that was you or not. You should be above me I think, if not above then around there at least. and that is the word of Parker.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yeah Dan's too good and has 2 days of Carl training.

=LOOK OUT

Also, why didn't I face John when I was in Calgary? wtf.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Based on my personal experiences playing competitively against people in this smash community, I can agree mostly with the list that has been presented. I believe that rankings 7-13 should be rearranged slightly. In my mind it would look something like this. I'm not going to explain why in this post, however if you'd really like to know my thoughts I'm open to discuss them.:

7 - Fox Machine
8 - Tyson
9 - xpiritflare
10 - M
11 - = ]
12 - MagnuM
13 - MICH

In regards to the Alberta vs CC rankings, I find it hard to group all of central Canada together into one power ranking group. Many of these people I have only played once, or never even seen or heard of them. This is where we trust the panelists, as I'm sure they have experienced matches with a wide variety of smashers; not just from AB.

One could say "Well you could just watch a vid of the people you haven't heard of and judge accordingly." I agree with Beeble in that a video isn't truly representative of one's skill, unless you can trust that the video was taken under a serious match situation. I believe that performance in a match that has been experienced or viewed LIVE should be taken into account. Aside from RECENT tourney placements and RECENT videos of competitive play, there should be no other criteria.

The latter portion of this post is mainly directed towards Parker. I mean, you can't rank a smasher if you have no idea of how skilled they are. Example:

10.) xpiritflare:
Can't recall playing him, but I still view Levi as being the best player in Calgary. I would even go so far as to call him the Isai of Alberta. Has skills, but loves to sandbag. Let's knock this guy "down" a bit.

It seems as if you have no knowledge of his skill. At this point there is only speculation, which doesn't work.

and especially...

14.) RJM:
RJM has the potential to be a great player, but something limits him. The things that I have noticed seem to limit him is his quick temper when he starts to lose, often having to go cool down (This is just what I have observed, I could be completely wrong by saying this, if I am; sorry.) and the pressure gets to him in tournaments far too much. Sadly, I can only recall.....

Based on SKILL, not character choice or behaviour. According to this logic, I should be near the bottom because I've been using a low-tier for 2+ years >_>

I almost didn't want to read the rest of your list because it is ridiculously flawed. My problem with you posting that is that you're off on a tangent. Specifically it is said that your list is your own thing, ignoring the panel's set criteria. That is not what this thread is for.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
The CCSC Power Rankings are decided collectively between a panel of 5 smashers representing various regional zones within the circuit, as well as accepting input and feedback from all participants in CCSC-sanctioned events.
So how heavily are all these opinions from non-panelists weighted?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
There's so much conflict between opinions.

Do you guys agree that
1) Mike
2) Shawn
3) Carl
4) Steve
5) Fastfox

are fine?

would you then say
6) Tyson
7) Fox Machine (Gary)? or are these two interchangeable?

Now, instead of arguing comparing lists, why don't you attack who should be 8th and why? and then 9th? and why?

kithkin

Smash Champion
There's so much conflict between opinions.

Now, instead of arguing comparing lists, why don't you attack who should be 8th and why? and then 9th? and why?

I Had this idea too, if we wanted to construct a basic list that everyone was generally happy with as a first draft, we could have a vote on each spot starting from 1 and down, and decide it on general vote, then as tourneys like cast3 and such go on, the panelists can decide and choose to move people.

yes? no?

also, in regard to sid talking about low tier, I'm deciding to maybe pick up G&W, but I only play at tourneys/bi-weeklies/levis, so I wont get much practice, dont expect it at cast.

edit: unsig

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
lol epic drama ensues, <3 parka you sparked up the thread.

For alberta vs cc. why not make a pr for each province and then have an entire cc pr such as this one?
OMG MAYBE BC WILL JOIN US THEN AND WE CAN BE CALLED WESTERN CANADA

Manuel, isn't what you're exactly the same as just beating one another in a set?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
OMG MAYBE BC WILL JOIN US THEN AND WE CAN BE CALLED WESTERN CANADA
[Cockiness]
Lol, it will be just our PR with yours added to the bottom >.>
[/Cockiness]

Instead of talking, and staying true to your many allegiences, why not just try to be truthful to yourselves?

I don't think there are any problems with this list:
1) Mike 2) Shawn 3) Carl 4) Steve 5) Fastfox 6) Tyson 7) Gary

are there? So then, PLEASE don't spam this thread, and go to 8. Seriously, there is too much crap being talked here. I know there are mature smashers in Alberta, and I don't mean mature in terms of the game. Professional attitude, please.

We're not a bunch of hillbillies. Neither are you guys. Seriously, organisation please.

Randall tries so hard. He does so much for you people. At least respect him with a thread worthy of his -many- contributions to your community. It's great that there's competition. However, just because your opinion and argument makes sense to you, it doesn't mean that the same thoughts will run through other people's head.

Where the hell are the panelists?

I need this to be done properly. Man.
[/rant]

Thanks so bloody much, Randall, I respect you more than any other smasher on the face of this planet.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Great. Now, how about hearing from Joel, " =] " and nYo?
Whenever Randall says something, he gets flamed. So I can see why he might be less willing to post here, and risk damaging his intelligence from reading the replies.

Top Bottom