• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Central VA- Help me set up a touney!

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Hey all!
So recently I've been talking about organizing tournaments to try and make central VA a more of a tourney region for Smash Bros. After gauging community interest via a smash fest and a mini-tourney, I'm extremely confident this goal can be accomplished.

What I'm working on now is creating a process to secure a venue in the area (suggestion welcome), get the word out to locals and OOS players, accumulate an acceptable number of setups (may need help with this), cover the venue fee without too much financial burden on myself ($400, my phone, and other things were stolen from me recently, so my financial situation is a bit more sensitive).
The main thing I'll need help with is creating a standard schedule for singles and doubles of each game, setting up a balanced bracket, and making sure things run smoothly the day of.
As of now I don't have a date for the tourney, but I will be contacting potential venue locations such as The End Game Center or Zeus Digital Theater in Waynesboro (They have an extremely nice venue set up, designed specifically for a tourney as such).

If anyone has any questions, suggestions, or would like to help, please let me know! ^_^
Thanks,
Ammad

:phone:

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
You were the one who hosted the multi-game tournament a couple weekends ago, right? I think your best bet in terms of venues is trying to get your college to do it again or possibly finding someone who attends UVA to get something there. Colleges are a great source of free rooms.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I have a group interested in this. Wish it was closer to Portsmouth though.

I'm in the Portsmouth area also and I know people that would be interested in this type of scene. We're looking for some tournaments in the area.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see a scene started on the weekends(Fri,Sat,Sun). If people have a problem with the weekends though we could do like a wednesday or a thursday. We have 2 wii's and 2 televisions.

Vyyruss

Smash Apprentice
I'm really busy this week. Maybe this next weekend. Where would be completely up to you guys. I'm kind of new to this area and looking for some smash competition. Trying to sharpen my skills, all that good stuff. I'm down when you guys are though.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I'd love to help out; I can definitely find us somewhere to put together an event here in Williamsburg--seems a good middle point for most of the people in this thread. The only downside is that I can't really do much in the way of organization or promoting since I do not have a facebook and don't have contacts in all the communities.

If someone can work with me on actually getting the word out and getting people out to an event, I'm more than happy to work out the details concerning where the tournament will be held, organization, etc.

Papapaint

Everyone in Southern VA should really join the Facebook "SoVa Melee" group. We have fests and tournaments all the time. o_O
Any other way to find out about these events aside from facebook? I don't use it anymore and I feel bad constantly texting kyle asking when stuff is.

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
I know of a few ppl in the wm area that smash. I didn't realize this thread got attention, but here's the tourney I posted http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330493
Almighty, my friend RiverTems is at WM and looking for Melee practice. You might message him and try to get a Smashfest organized. We can do tourneys together if we can get solid tourney rep from the major VA areas. I know SOVA has a pretty scattered group and NOVA is pretty organized. Lets connect ppl at the center ^_^

Papapaint

I know of a few ppl in the wm area that smash. I didn't realize this thread got attention, but here's the tourney I posted http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330493
Almighty, my friend RiverTems is at WM and looking for Melee practice. You might message him and try to get a Smashfest organized. We can do tourneys together if we can get solid tourney rep from the major VA areas. I know SOVA has a pretty scattered group and NOVA is pretty organized. Lets connect ppl at the center ^_^

I've been whooping up on him for weeks now.

MSG

Smash Cadet
Oh **** Charlottesville? Do you go to UVA by chance? If so we have a few decent melee here including myself, smash g0d, and ju4n if you've heard of any of us. Also I've been to the end a few times for magic drafts lol.

Top Bottom