• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chaingrabbing possibility.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Aye, With MK there is a small chance you can pull off a nice chain grab. Depending on who you're playing and the weight of the character, along with DI skills, you may be able to pull off a Dthrow combo. With the forward knock back associated with it, you can dash and grab again and follow up with another Dthrow. Yes, player skill can and will screw this up, but it's a nice little tidbit to keep in mind if you think you can catch them off guard. Later :)

Shears

Smash Master
tried it, doesnt work. the time it takes you to get to them to grab again theyve gained invincibility frames and have the opportunity to attack. you could however just wait for them to get up, shield and then grab again. but that wouldnt be chain grabbing, just you playing smarter than your opponent if you can successfully grab them the second time. btw your opponent can just jump and airdodge out.

fourthmealer

Smash Cadet
No it does work. If its a floatie it hella wont work. U have to catch them before they even hit the ground, while still in knockback. I've only been able to do 2 in a row which is all u need. pop em twice hitemwith a fair they areoff the edge, then comes MK's beastly edgegaurd. If done right, free cheap kill

Shears

Smash Master
first off id like to see a video, and secondly unless your playing an ike, bowser, DK, or ganondorf, your opponent will be too floaty to chaingrab. any smart and skilled player wouldnt be using any of those characters. except snake, if what you say is true it might work on a snake but its hard to get in on snake and get a grab because any good snake player wont let you just walk up and grab him.

DaNuGuy

Smash Cadet
"unless your playing an ike, bowser, DK, or ganondorf, your opponent will be too floaty to chaingrab. any smart and skilled player wouldnt be using any of those characters."

gg

SabinX

Smash Journeyman
first of all.. this works on any character at low %s. some it works on even at higher %s.

if the opponent has a fast f.air or tether (link chain for example) he can spam that out of the down throw and be safe from approach.

with this being said , if they DI expecting a rush upsmash its a grab.

if you run up and they do f.air/tether to hit u, mixup and dash then tornado.

or run and stop then grab on landing. etc etc.. majority of people if you time it right (without a f.air) you can get off a 2nd chain grab.

Shears

Smash Master
alright i take back what i said. i had tried the chaingrabbing possibility before and it wasnt working. i slowed it down and noticed my grabs were a couple frames too late. i tried it a little bit earlier and it works. on any character. its easier to do to floaty lighter characters at low percents but harder at high percents. heavy characters are harder to do it to at low percents because unless you do it just right theyll hit the ground first, but at high percents you can go crazy chaingrabbing those heavy characters. like i tried it on dedede and managed it a couple times at low percent but it was real hard to time it perfectly, but at high percents (80+) i could chaingrab effortlessly across the stage. if your getting chaingrabbed by MK it might be possible to DI out or attack out, but i have not tried it yet.

edit::if you DI up youll escape no matter what your percent, breaking metaknights chaingrab. its good to know how to do though because you could unexpectadly catch someone, or for the next couple weeks you could get it off on your friends until they find out about it. its good but not perfect or infinite. just another way to rack up some quick damage before they decide to try and win.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I would prefer to see a video to help with out, before I make any judgements...He is fast and it is a possible idea, it is the same concept as kirby :-p

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Shears just tried it on me. I can just DI up out of it.
I unfortunately do not have access to any means of uploading a video of this, I can try with a camcorder, sacrificing quality :p... I'll see what I can do.

But yes, you nailed it Nava, you can DI out, which only two of my friends have figured out how to do ><. DI'ing up with certain characters can also result in the victim actually jumping off your head.

Like I mentioned in the OP, this isn't something to be done on a regular basis, and if you're lucky, you may be able to pull two to three off depending on your stage and opponent.

fourthmealer

Smash Cadet
Alright a brief summary to answer most questions asked so far. Like I posted, it's possible. But keep in mind the max I've only ever done (i play a sh*tload) is 2. Gone for 3 so many times it doesnt work. 2nd off, after a mid level percent they can jump or DI out of it easily.

But, thats an important thing right there. Total mind game opportunities. Let's say you double down throw, alright cool they are pretty impressed w/e. But, let's say you try it again but instead of throwing out that second grab (if they aren't stupid) they would try to DI or jump out of it, so instead of throwing out that second grab, hit them with a fair. Bam you got a combo started. MK is such a beautiful thing.

edit* Also i will get a video up ASAP, and post it here

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Alright a brief summary to answer most questions asked so far. Like I posted, it's possible. But keep in mind the max I've only ever done (i play a sh*tload) is 2. Gone for 3 so many times it doesnt work. 2nd off, after a mid level percent they can jump or DI out of it easily.

But, thats an important thing right there. Total mind game opportunities. Let's say you double down throw, alright cool they are pretty impressed w/e. But, let's say you try it again but instead of throwing out that second grab (if they aren't stupid) they would try to DI or jump out of it, so instead of throwing out that second grab, hit them with a fair. Bam you got a combo started. MK is such a beautiful thing.

edit* Also i will get a video up ASAP, and post it here
Ah yes, thank you Fourth! What you mentioned about pulling off two is correct, and on occasion you may be able to pull off a third (I've had no problems pulling a 3rd off on G&W or Ike) But again, thats pushing it.

fourthmealer

Smash Cadet
Ah yes, thank you Fourth! What you mentioned about pulling off two is correct, and on occasion you may be able to pull off a third (I've had no problems pulling a 3rd off on G&W or Ike) But again, thats pushing it.
I agree. ..it is pushing it very far. So the filming quality i have is poor. . . want me to film it anyway guys?

Rofl_bot

Smash Rookie
I've been using this for a while, it works pretty well, some characters can get out of it pretty fast and it's hard to get it every time.

lonelytraveler8

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean by cheap?

This chaingrab does work, but it's much to easy to learn how to DI out of, and I prefer other follow ups even when it does.

ckm

Smash Journeyman
Not that my noobish opinion matters, but I have done this lots of times, and its tough but not impossible to pull off on a skilled opponent.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
what meta knight kill isnt a cheap kill?
What do you mean by cheap?

This chaingrab does work, but it's much to easy to learn how to DI out of, and I prefer other follow ups even when it does.
Is that true for any character or did you run a test with MK?
to me its more of a tech chase then a chain grab.

and it is not true for every character. metaknights dash grab is insane
Not that my noobish opinion matters, but I have done this lots of times, and its tough but not impossible to pull off on a skilled opponent.
#1. There is plenty of non- cheap kills with Meta Knight go watch a few Brawl pro tournaments preferably watch famous players like Gimpyfish and Co. I also reccomend watching the stuff Tru= makes

#2. Thats true chaingrab truly only works on players who is not used and experienced played almost always can easily get out of the chain by at the least the 3rd time

#3 Chain Grabs can only be performed by certain characters since each grab for every grab for every character has their own mechanics, so its not only meta knight I know DeDeDe can do it to. However there is also the absolute rule of chain grabs that they work only up to a certain percents

#4 GodotAA has a point it does also look like a tech chase I'll leave it to the higher ups to conclude that assessment

#5 Everyone's opinions matter but it depends on the reader if they like it... And also sure its not impossible to do but I doubt it will last for long

Top Bottom