• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to the Smash Workshop

Almas

Smash Lord
Over the next few days, I'll be making a few changes to the 'ol Workshop (with the help of the trusty Workshop Backroom) in order to try and cut down on spam a little, and give more room to other threads. I kinda get the feeling that I'm being too light on you guys at times.

The current Brawl+ threads will all be unstickied, and replaced with a single Brawl+ directory. I'm sure all of the threads will be active enough that they won't require being stickied in order to stay active.

The following threads will be used for Brawl+:

Code Agenda: This will be kept in it's current incarnation as a place for Brawl+ codes to be stored, along with the instructions for how to utilise them.

FAQ: This will also be kept as it is, for people to learn the basics of what the project is about.

Brawlplusery: This will be remade as a far more formal topic; people should only reply with structured comments so that we can read through it easily and take the input. I'm concerned at times that it's hard for people to get good input through to us, so this should be a very useful conduit.

Nightly Builds: A place to view the more frequently updated "Nightly Builds" which a few people are currently producing. Currently it's a bit of a chore for people to have to remember a link or go to the IRC, so this should make life easier for you. Responses will be expected to be about the builds in question.

Brawl+ Social: A place for you all to discuss Brawl+ with a more lenient rule system and freedom over what to talk about.

Bug Reports/Troubleshooting: A thread used to help people who are having problems setting up Brawl+ or adding a few extra codes.

In the meantime, there are a few things that would be nice:

Currently, I can't find anyone willing to oversee any Brawl+ social thread. The role would consist of trying to retain some semblance of meaning to the topic, bringing up things to discuss, and updating the OP with things like Friend Codes. If anyone would be interested in doing this, please message me letting me know. Don't go running off starting one. That's not how we roll.

We're also looking for one or two knowledgeable and skilled texture hackers in order to pretty up Brawl+. The reward for dedicating your time to this would be in the form of access to the WBR (including any perks that may be associated with it), and your name on a Brawl+ loading/credits screen, which everyone will view whenever they load up the game. Message me if you're interested (preferably with some form of credentials).

Thanks for digging through the wall of text. I'd appreciate if anyone had any comments; for example, if you think another main topic is needed.

~PK~

Smash Cadet
I think that those topics are sufficient enough for the Brawl+ Directory.

But, going off the topic of Brawl+, how about a texture hacking subforum, or will the Workshop just house those topics?

Almas

Smash Lord
Adding a texture hacking subforum is something that is currently in discussion - it has certainly been requested by some people. We'll see how it goes.

Almas

Smash Lord
There is already a video thread being beautifully operated by Sudai in the Character Discussions sub-board.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Adding a texture hacking subforum is something that is currently in discussion - it has certainly been requested by some people. We'll see how it goes.
If that doesn't go as planned, at the very least we need a thread for people their own textures so we don't have an abundance of threads like "(insert username here)'s own custom textures!"
Just makes everything more crowded.

Glad to see the addition of the nightly build thread too. One less site I have to bring up when checking out what's new with Brawl+ each day.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Why don't we just get a texture hacker like Jack Harvest to do this? Or, we could use someone's "pf" folder, equipped with many stage textures and character textures. I really like the Brawl "Sparta" texture on Final Des, so we could use that as well as the Peach's Castle texture for Luigi's Mansion. I am sure many people would be interested in this.

Almas

Smash Lord
We are trying to find texture hackers because not everyone wants to be part of the Brawl+ project. It's a texture hacker's choice what they work on when they feel like doing it - we're just providing another option.

We won't be using purely aesthetic textures. While things like Jack Harvest's Peach's Castle texture is certainly pretty, it is competitively worthless, especially as we use the Luigi's Mansion Deadlands code.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
We are trying to find texture hackers because not everyone wants to be part of the Brawl+ project. It's a texture hacker's choice what they work on when they feel like doing it - we're just providing another option.

We won't be using purely aesthetic textures. While things like Jack Harvest's Peach's Castle texture is certainly pretty, it is competitively worthless, especially as we use the Luigi's Mansion Deadlands code.
Well,, even with the Deadlands code on, everything is still nice and happy. Couldn't you guys use MASTERLINKXX's texture pack? or whatever his name is.

I could post my textures sometime, with a download. Actually, can anyone tell me how to upload a folder to Mediafire or Rapidshare? OR I could just email one of you guys, and attatch the folder. Seriously, does anyone have a clue about how to upload a whole folder???

Arkaether

Smash Ace
Almas, I am curious about something. You are requesting for texture hackers, but for what purpose? I doubt that you're trying to put together a "Brawl+ texture pack", seeing as textures are merely for aesthetic purposes and are based off of personal preference. I can't see you needing texture hackers for creating characters, as that would be more in the fields of modeling and coding. If you just needed simple menu/logo changes such as changing the Brawl logo to the Brawl+ logo, I would think anybody with a basic knowledge should suffice.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
Almas, I am curious about something. You are requesting for texture hackers, but for what purpose? I doubt that you're trying to put together a "Brawl+ texture pack", seeing as textures are merely for aesthetic purposes and are based off of personal preference. I can't see you needing texture hackers for creating characters, as that would be more in the fields of modeling and coding. If you just needed simple menu/logo changes such as changing the Brawl logo to the Brawl+ logo, I would think anybody with a basic knowledge should suffice.
Well actually, there is tons of texture data in the Menu portion of the game. So, only VERY advanced texture hackers could change the Menu screen.

For other reasons, like prettying up the game, anyone could do that. I just think that we should get the best textures only. So, yeah... Anyone gonna answer how to put up folders for download?

Revven

FrankerZ
Well actually, there is tons of texture data in the Menu portion of the game. So, only VERY advanced texture hackers could change the Menu screen.

For other reasons, like prettying up the game, anyone could do that. I just think that we should get the best textures only. So, yeah... Anyone gonna answer how to put up folders for download?
We're not going to be prettying up the game. You can use your OWN textures but Brawl+ will not be supplying a texture pack at all.

Almas

Smash Lord
The role of the texture hacker in question would mainly be altering the Menus, and creating a custom load screen. The Brawlplusery will not be providing character textures for purely aesthetic purposes, but people are of course free to use their own (and many do).

We will likely also have use for them for developing alternate costumes for clone characters. Which may or may not be released within a few weeks.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
We have to LOOK at other people's names whenever the game loads? That's sly. I bet you'll implement a code to make the game crash more often so we have to load more often. :p
Can't wait for clone characters...

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I'd be willing to edit the menu's and the like. I've already made a few custom strap menu's and I'd gladly make one for Brawl +. I'd also be willing to edit the names and stuff for the game menu's and edit the background colors.

Just 1 thing. After AP tests.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
I'd be willing to edit the menu's and the like. I've already made a few custom strap menu's and I'd gladly make one for Brawl +. I'd also be willing to edit the names and stuff for the game menu's and edit the background colors.

That sounds really cool. LMK how that goes.

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
You can already mess around with the caution wii remote strap screen thing. If you want you can color it all black or something and then type the names of the people who helped out. Someone on this board did it already. Forgot who though. They had funny things like the screen where the kid got hit and on the side it said PWNED.

cookieM0Nster

Smash Champion
You can already mess around with the caution wii remote strap screen thing. If you want you can color it all black or something and then type the names of the people who helped out. Someone on this board did it already. Forgot who though. They had funny things like the screen where the kid got hit and on the side it said PWNED.
Haha, lol I saw that. However, It would be hard to mess with EVERY ICON that says Brawl, in order to make it say Brawl+.

shanus

Smash Hero

Sounds great. Can't wait for it Illi. Good luck with exams

Sukai

Smash Champion
Wish I found this sooner.
I was already planning on customizing the menu, I even asked someone to lend me the files, but I've yet to receive a response. I'll be more than happy to assist with the menu, perhaps I can collaborate with some of the others who have volunteered.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Nicely done, Almas. I was wondering when the trash was going to be removed from the Workshop....oh wai-*banned*

But yeah, Knux had a pretty good strap menu texture; real funny-- it's the one that said "PWNED" and had "WTFHAX" instead of "NOW LOADING". In any case, maybe some folks could submit layout ideas whilst our hackers obtain all of the menu files?

Top Bottom