• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes you would like to see from Luigi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Ill go ahead and list mine.

-I want his b down to become His polterguist, once you get it out you must hold down the b button for the suction to continue. It will pull the opponent in from around the same distance as Kirby's and D3's suck but it can be aimed up and you can walk while sucking and jump. When the opponent is sucked up they are held in the vacuum where you can shoot them out by pressing a, your opponent can get out by mashing buttons.

- Down Smash on the ground is now Luigi Cyclone, you can charge it for it to become similar to the old b down version, you can also make it go left and right like you used too, the more you charge it the more lugi will spin and the more damage will be dealt.

- Green Missile Misfire is no longer random, when charging you will feel a vibration on your controller (that is random), if you let go when you feel the vibration you will misfire.

- Luigis fireball pushes the opponent further back on hit and block.

Suggested Changes I agree with:

- Luigis second jump animation changed to lugis legs going back and forth fast.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
- Similar to you, I want Poltergust as a Down Special. It is part of the character and should be so, but how about we make it different. Tapping the Down-B switches Luigi into Vacuum Luigi form, Luigi will now control similarly as if you would have the Fire Cracker Launcher from Brawl. Luigi will start to fire his poltergust into a cone shape. If that cone hits a enemy, the vacuum will lock onto them until they either hit Luigi (who has light armor) or if they run away. This move can hit multiple enemies and gets stronger over time. The point of this move is to chase down enemies and evade attacks while harming them....about 6 damage per second.

- Down Smash is going to be a new move can Strobulb. Luigi will charge up the Strobulb flash from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. The longer it charges the longer duration of stun dealt to the enemy. This will work very well with Up Special if done correctly.

- Down Ariel will be Luigi Cyclone. However it is way more powerful than Mario's. It will slow Luigi's decent and doesn't stop when you hit the ground.

- Final Smash will be about Mario & Luigi Dream Team. Luigi get scared and thousands of Luigi Clones swirl around him turning into Giant Luigi.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
- Similar to you, I want Poltergust as a Down Special. It is part of the character and should be so, but how about we make it different. Tapping the Down-B switches Luigi into Vacuum Luigi form, Luigi will now control similarly as if you would have the Fire Cracker Launcher from Brawl. Luigi will start to fire his poltergust into a cone shape. If that cone hits a enemy, the vacuum will lock onto them until they either hit Luigi (who has light armor) or if they run away. This move can hit multiple enemies and gets stronger over time. The point of this move is to chase down enemies and evade attacks while harming them....about 6 damage per second.

- Down Smash is going to be a new move can Strobulb. Luigi will charge up the Strobulb flash from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. The longer it charges the longer duration of stun dealt to the enemy. This will work very well with Up Special if done correctly.

- Down Ariel will be Luigi Cyclone. However it is way more powerful than Mario's. It will slow Luigi's decent and doesn't stop when you hit the ground.

- Final Smash will be about Mario & Luigi Dream Team. Luigi will fall asleep on a pillow while thousands of Dreamy Luigi's come out of a Dream Portal to attack the stage.
I like your vacuum as well, id be fine with either one or a combination of both.

D

Deleted member

-Luigi's grab is now replaced by the Poltergust 5000. This would give Luigi's grab more distance and it would make sense for him to have it since he has it in most Mario spin-offs.
-I would have loved to see Luigi use the Thunderhand as his neutral special but that isn't happening...
-The Luigi Cyclone doesn't get as much height when used in the air, but it's still easy to get air from it like in Brawl.
-Luigi's backwards air from Melee and Luigi's up smash from SSB64 are in his moveset.
-Luigi gets new running, idle, and jumping animations (his double jump even involves kicking his legs in the air).
-Luigi's traction isn't as terrible as previous installments.
-Luigi is slightly faster than Mario.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
-Luigi's grab is now replaced by the Poltergust 5000. This would give Luigi's grab more distance and it would make sense for him to have it since he has it in most Mario spin-offs.
-I would have loved to see Luigi use the Thunderhand as his neutral special but that isn't happening...
-The Luigi Cyclone doesn't get as much height when used in the air, but it's still easy to get air from it like in Brawl.
-Luigi's backwards air from Melee and Luigi's up smash from SSB64 are in his moveset.
-Luigi gets new running, idle, and jumping animations (his double jump even involves kicking his legs in the air).
-Luigi's traction isn't as terrible as previous installments.
-Luigi is slightly faster than Mario.

I diagree with the last two highly. I think I would play WORSE with Luigi as a main if he didn't have that traction. It just makes Luigi for me. Also Mario should be faster because he is faster in the games except for SMG series.

D

Deleted member

I diagree with the last two highly. I think I would play WORSE with Luigi as a main if he didn't have that traction. It just makes Luigi for me. Also Mario should be faster because he is faster in the games except for SMG series.
I don't think poor traction is really fitting for a fighting game... though his poor traction has helped me with going into an Up Smash at times...
Luigi has been faster than Mario in the first Olympic Games, various sports games, and I think Luigi in New Super Luigi U is slightly faster than Mario in New Super Mario Bros. U (telling from a video of a side-by-side comparison that is). I am not gonna lose sleep if I don't get these changes anyway.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Replace the tornado with the Poltergust...

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
- Change his walking animation to make it similar to Luigi's mansion.
- Down B poltergust
- Side Smash different where Luigi brings out the poltergust and releases a ghost to spook the enemy in front
- Dair has Luigi use one of the elemental powers from Luigi's Mansion 1 fire being repetitive hits. water only pushing down, and ice being a meteor spike

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
-Fair is as powerful as it was in Melee
-Give him a better approach, maybe extend the range and/or increase the speed of his fireballs, give him a safe dash attack, or give down b its properties from Project M.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Not really, you can store misfires on Project M, and Luigi is far from OP on that, really good, but not OP.
Seems a bit OP to me. That misfire has some strong knockback and it is surprisingly fast (I am talking about the Melee version, for some reason...) Haven't played PM yet, so I can't say anything regarding that, but I am sure that they have made it balanced in some way. Firing a misfire at will sounds OP though, especially if you can use it at the end of a high % combo.

With a nerf, it might work in theory, but I still oppose the idea since there wouldn't be a reason having a normal missile left if you could use the misfire whenever you wanted. When would you want to do the normal missile?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Seems a bit OP to me. That misfire has some strong knockback and it is surprisingly fast (I am talking about the Melee version, for some reason...) Haven't played PM yet, so I can't say anything regarding that, but I am sure that they have made it balanced in some way. Firing a misfire at will sounds OP though, especially if you can use it at the end of a high % combo.

With a nerf, it might work in theory, but I still oppose the idea since there wouldn't be a reason having a normal missile left if you could use the misfire whenever you wanted. When would you want to do the normal missile?
See the thing is very few Luigi players will attack you with their misfires because even with the increased power of a misfire, Green Missile is a very unsafe move with surprisingly low priority, it's much more useful as recovery tool and being able to use it whenever you want would only make Luigi's terrible recovery that much better. Of course in PM his recovery is godlike, but on Melee and Brawl it's garbage because even though he can make it back to the stage easily, his recovery is very non-confrontational so he's easy to edge-guard.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Not really, you can store misfires on Project M, and Luigi is far from OP on that, really good, but not OP.
That's different. You have a 1/6 chance of pulling a misfire. Imagine if he could misfire at will over and over again. His recovery would be godlike and he wouldn't even have to try to recover. Plus, misfires are fast and powerful and cover a lot of distance. They're not something you should be able to do consistently with ease.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
That's different. You have a 1/6 chance of pulling a misfire. Imagine if he could misfire at will over and over again. His recovery would be godlike and he wouldn't even have to try to recover. Plus, misfires are fast and powerful and cover a lot of distance. They're not something you should be able to do consistently with ease.
As I already said that would be a much needed boon to his recovery and it wouldn't even really help that much because like I also said misfires have deceptively low priority, I mean when Ganon's fair has priority over it, you know it's not a good move.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
As I already said that would be a much needed boon to his recovery and it wouldn't even really help that much because like I also said misfires have deceptively low priority, I mean when Ganon's fair has priority over it, you know it's not a good move.
I disagree. As I said before, the combination of speed, damage and knockback that it has as well as the fact that it increases his already above average recovery does makes it overpowered to me. Even if it doesn't have great priority, it doesn't matter because in any trade that doesn't beat it, you'll be coming out better than the opponent.
Do you want to consistently see this in Smash?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I disagree. As I said before, the combination of speed, damage and knockback that it has as well as the fact that it increases his already above average recovery does makes it overpowered to me. Even if it doesn't have great priority, it doesn't matter because in any trade that doesn't beat it, you'll be coming out better than the opponent.
Do you want to consistently see this in Smash?
Actually, as a former Luigi main, I'd love to see that in Smash, but Luigi's recovery is not above average, I don't know why everyone seems to think that, that's one of the reasons I dropped him. If anything his recovery is below average. Sure he can make it back to the stage consistently, but if someone is waiting there to edgeguard him there is virtually nothing he can do because green missile and super jump punch both leave him wide open, his only hopes are to either come from below with Cyclone and hope it doesn't clash with whatever the opponent throws out, save his double jump and try to use a fireball to cover his landing (this is easier said than done because if you miss the timing by even a little it will either go right over your opponent's head or just bounce of the edge of the stage), or recover extremely high and hope his landing doesn't get punished.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Luigi's recovery is VERY predictable, which is a BIG disadvantage despite it's slightly above average range.

Super Jump Punch goes straight up, Green Missile goes horizontally. The Luigi Cyclone is the only non-predictable one.

Project M's design of Luigi's missile was a great one. His chances of a misfire is 1/6, but when he gets a misfire, being able to store is for later use is very useful. It's not OP because he can't misfire all the time.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
This should be Luigi's new recovery:

I hope he'll at least get a few Luigi's Mansion moves.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I mainly want Luigi to have more of his Luigi's Mansion personality. More of the lovable coward we know from Luigi's Mansion, and less of the weirdo druggy guy we know from Smash Bros.
I think it would be a nice touch if he walked around like he did in Luigi's Mansion and maybe had more fearful expressions on his face.
Now, here are the moveset changes I would love to see:

Neutral Special: Fireball
Side Special: Strobe Light
Up Special: Super Jump Punch
Down Special: Poltergust

The Strobe Light, from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, doesn't do much damage but stuns opponents (much like how it temporarily stuns ghosts in Dark Moon).
The Poltergust, obviously, has a vacuum effect, that pulls players and items towards Luigi.

I wanted to give him at least two Luigi's mansion moves. One thing that I think is very important when tweaking Luigi's moveset is that his Neutral and Up Specials need to stay the same.
Fireball shooting and high jumping are still significant parts of Luigi's character. Green Missile and Luigi Tornado aren't as vital to the character - he has never actually done them in a game besides Smash Bros - so they are expendable and should definitely be replaced with Luigi's mansion moves.
Basically, he doesn't need a full Luigi's Mansion makeover, because he is still truly Mario's brother when it comes down it.

(Note: I really don't want the balloon berry to replace the classic Jump Punch)

EDIT: How could I have forgotten - change that awful Final Smash! I'd really like it to be Luigi's Mansion related - I can't really think of any good ideas though.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
I mainly want Luigi to have more of his Luigi's Mansion personality. More of the lovable coward we know from Luigi's Mansion, and less of the weirdo druggy guy we know from Smash Bros.
I think it would be a nice touch if he walked around like he did in Luigi's Mansion and maybe had more fearful expressions on his face.
Now, here are the moveset changes I would love to see:

Neutral Special: Fireball
Side Special: Strobe Light
Up Special: Super Jump Punch
Down Special: Poltergust

The Strobe Light, from Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, doesn't do much damage but stuns opponents (much like how it temporarily stuns ghosts in Dark Moon).
The Poltergust, obviously, has a vacuum effect, that pulls players and items towards Luigi.

I wanted to give him at least two Luigi's mansion moves. One thing that I think is very important when tweaking Luigi's moveset is that his Neutral and Up Specials need to stay the same.
Fireball shooting and high jumping are still significant parts of Luigi's character. Green Missile and Luigi Tornado aren't as vital to the character - he has never actually done them in a game besides Smash Bros - so they are expendable and should definitely be replaced with Luigi's mansion moves.
Basically, he doesn't need a full Luigi's Mansion makeover, because he is still truly a Mario Bros when it comes down it.

(Note: I really don't want the balloon berry to replace the classic Jump Punch)

EDIT: How could I have forgotten - change that awful Final Smash! I'd really like it to be Luigi's Mansion related - I can't really think of any good ideas though.
I love Negative Zone!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
"- Luigis second jump animation changed to lugis legs going back and forth fast."
This was confirmed on the Dojo today, yay! Well, you'd have to look at Sakurai's miiverse post to tell.
http://imgur.com/a/equAc

D

Deleted member

Seeing Luigi's brand new jump (I'm unsure if it's his new first or double jump) makes me very optimistic for the other changes that they are going to do with Luigi. Hopefully his running animations also change!

I'm fine with Luigi's moveset as is, but I hope that they change Luigi's grab to the Poltergust.

Viceversa96

Banned via Warnings

- Final Smash will be about Mario & Luigi Dream Team. Luigi get scared and thousands of Luigi Clones swirl around him turning into Giant Luigi.
You want his recovery nerfed?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
We could start with a reliable approach or not get sent the distance of Final Destination if someone hits your shield.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd love to see the Poltergust.. It would counteract Mario's FLUDD in terms of Backpack-thing on human from the Mario Universe...

And.. I think it's just a pipe dream.. But I'd love to see Luigi's fireball replaced with the Thunderbrand from Mario & Luigi Superstar saga.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The Poltergust should be added into his moveset like many suggested. I feel that the best way to add it would be in his throws. Or perhaps a new Final Smash that references the games. Say for his throws, he'll suck you up and then spit you out depending on the direction. But his pummel can more or less stay the same. While for the Final Smash, Luigi could put the Poltergust into reverse and shoot out a bunch of Boos or other ghosts that damage enemies on contact.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The Poltergust should be added into his moveset like many suggested. I feel that the best way to add it would be in his throws. Or perhaps a new Final Smash that references the games. Say for his throws, he'll suck you up and then spit you out depending on the direction. But his pummel can more or less stay the same. While for the Final Smash, Luigi could put the Poltergust into reverse and shoot out a bunch of Boos or other ghosts that damage enemies on contact.
I like that Idea. Maybe there's a chance that it would shoot out, money, or just dust!!

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Ugh these are the worst ideas ive ever heard stop trying to ruin luigis innocence with your terrible suggestions and stop trying to make luigi some shut in ghostbusters nerd with that poltergust idea. Luigi is fast attractive and very handy sociably and if you guys just cant get over that then I suggest you play sonic then. I will fight you all to keep those nasty luigi nerfs away and I can assure you, with your obese fists I will be untouchable.

Just thought id give you all something to think about.

D

Deleted member

Ugh these are the worst ideas ive ever heard stop trying to ruin luigis innocence with your terrible suggestions and stop trying to make luigi some shut in ghostbusters nerd with that poltergust idea. Luigi is fast attractive and very handy sociably and if you guys just cant get over that then I suggest you play sonic then. I will fight you all to keep those nasty luigi nerfs away and I can assure you, with your obese fists I will be untouchable.

Just thought id give you all something to think about.
Umm… what? But… the Poltergust is a major part of Luigi… I think it should be a grab and not replace the Luigi Cyclone. I don't know what you are going with that later bit.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
The poltergust is simply too clunky and slow, luigi is a true athlete and he needs his fingers for speedy slippery grabs, something that cannot be done with a nerd can. Plus luigis biggest weakness in brawl is that he was too female to be a true luigi like in melee how do you think making him a real housewife will fix the biggest problems in his design? Youre asking him to be nerfed into the dirt and he will be bottom tier again. If you really want this ugly thing to replace his slender beautiful fingers then may i suggest you attend apex 2014 meet me outside the building we will fistfight for luigi nerfs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom